2018-19 Current Season schedule discussion (top post is current)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: 2018-19 schedule discussion (top post is current)

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RF1 wrote:I do not expect UConn to schedule URI in the near term. I however have issue with some falsely claiming that a series is a big long time rivalry when it in fact really isn't. As for scheduling games for UConn, I bet most of their fans could care less about playing either URI or PC in the future. Their fans view the days of playing these teams as past history.
I sense UConn does want to play PC, specifically...and, any P5 school they can pretty much.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think the history is great with UConn and URI and I would love to see us play again but with DH there the chances are very slim
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

uconn is like Indiana. They were great once. Now there not.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

theblueram wrote:uconn is like Indiana. They were great once. Now there not.
Their fans, coach and AD believe they can be great again. They are counting on it. Time will tell.
Indiana is still in the Big Ten where UCONN lost the Big East.
The Big Ten got more competitive from the days Indiana dominated. Michigan St, Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio State ...
Teams that are pretty consistent at making the Tournament.
I believe Archie will make Indiana competitive again.
“We will be good when we are good.”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
RF1 wrote:I do not expect UConn to schedule URI in the near term. I however have issue with some falsely claiming that a series is a big long time rivalry when it in fact really isn't. As for scheduling games for UConn, I bet most of their fans could care less about playing either URI or PC in the future. Their fans view the days of playing these teams as past history.
I sense UConn does want to play PC, specifically...and, any P5 school they can pretty much.

Note I specifically wrote about the feelings of their FANS.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

I live in CT and right outside of Hartford, fans here could give two sh$ts about PC or really URI. They long for the national championship days and want series with blue bloods since they feel entitled to those matchups.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I read a thread on their message board about OOC scheduling, and almost everyone who posted welcomed a match-up with URI. I’m not sure any fan base can be taken as a monolith.
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

RF1 wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:
RF1 wrote:UConn versus PC: 70 meetings all-time - Huskies lead 42-28 (.600)

UConn versus URI: 145 meetings all-time - Huskies lead 77-68 (.531)
Most played opponent all-time for UConn with 2nd most played opponent far behind at 115 meetings.

Source:
https://uconnhuskies.com/documents/2018 ... liment.pdf
And that's all great but URI and UCONN have played 3 times in the last 30 years and 0 times in the last 18. The only UCONN or URI fans who are going to remember what was are basically 45 and 50+ year olds.

I am in that age group and remember going to UConn-URI games so it matters to me.

PC has only played UConn 12 times outside of the Big East and last played the Huskies back in February of 2012 (per UConn record book). This will be the seventh straight season that the schools have not met. Most younger PC students and fans have no recollection of regularly playing UConn.
Yes uri and uconn were once rivals that is history . You can't blaime uconn for trying to go big time uri would have done the same thing and no one would have blaimed them one bit. I certainly don't blaime uconn for not playing us in the keno years we sucked. Not a surprise though that they are now considering playing us because we are a more worthy opponent now.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ace wrote:I read a thread on their message board about OOC scheduling, and almost everyone who posted welcomed a match-up with URI. I’m not sure any fan base can be taken as a monolith.
Agree...from reading over there, I would say their fans do want to play URI and PC, like, they have concerns about SOS and know those would help. Then again, sometimes I'm not the most perceptive...
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
ace wrote:I read a thread on their message board about OOC scheduling, and almost everyone who posted welcomed a match-up with URI. I’m not sure any fan base can be taken as a monolith.
Agree...from reading over there, I would say their fans do want to play URI and PC, like, they have concerns about SOS and know those would help. Then again, sometimes I'm not the most perceptive...

Odd. I read their board regularly and get the opposite reaction. Most of their fans seem very dismissive toward both URI and PC. When they refer to former rivals (in their view) they want to see on their schedule, most mean teams such as Syracuse and Villanova.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

CT Rhody wrote:I live in CT and right outside of Hartford, fans here could give two sh$ts about PC or really URI. They long for the national championship days and want series with blue bloods since they feel entitled to those matchups.
And we have some fans that want series with UConn based on stuff from 50 years ago and some fans who think the West Virginia game isn't a big deal because we were in the same conference 40 years ago. So maybe UConn fans "longing" for the days of national championships from 4 years ago isn't all that crazy.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:

Odd. I read their board regularly and get the opposite reaction. Most of their fans seem very dismissive toward both URI and PC. When they refer to former rivals (in their view) they want to see on their schedule, most mean teams such as Syracuse and Villanova.
Then, we're reading in different places and times.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I'm sure some of the younger fans will think it's a great game if we play Xavier at Mohegan because they won't play at the Ryan Center.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

theblueram wrote:I'm sure some of the younger fans will think it's a great game if we play Xavier at Mohegan because they won't play at the Ryan Center.
Maybe when Xavier is a consistent final four type team. WV is the borderline level program that I am ok playing at Mohican. Any less and I am pissed.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Playing WV at Mohegan and then at WV the following year helps our RPI and Tournament chances. It was a smart scheduling move.
It would be great if Rhody could schedule home and home with the top teir of the AAC and other top non P5 conferences. There has been discussions by conferences of having a flexible schedule so the top 3 or 4 rated teams can play each other each year based on rankings. If Rhody played Cincy, Wichita St, Memphis, UCONN or Houston that would be great.
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

rhodylaw wrote:
theblueram wrote:I'm sure some of the younger fans will think it's a great game if we play Xavier at Mohegan because they won't play at the Ryan Center.
Maybe when Xavier is a consistent final four type team. WV is the borderline level program that I am ok playing at Mohican. Any less and I am pissed.
WVU has made the final four twice, once in 1959 and then again in 2010, hardly a consistent final four team. Since 2000 I'd say Xavier and WVU are neck and neck. WVU has the final four, Xavier has one more elite 8 appearance, they have the same amount of Sweet 16s and Xavier has 5 more tournament appearances.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I wouldn't have huge issue with playing Xavier in similar arrangement as we have with WVU...splitting hairs as to which program has more prestige and RPI/resume value. Xavier has been a national program for 20 years. Bottom line is we are not negotiating from a position of strength, and until we have a 5,6,7 year run of national success that won't change. Gonzaga has a hard time getting true home games from P5 teams. This is 1 of the things fans likely have the least amount of insight into, in terms of how difficult it is to build a compelling home schedule for a school like URI.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

bigappleram wrote:I wouldn't have huge issue with playing Xavier in similar arrangement as we have with WVU...splitting hairs as to which program has more prestige and RPI/resume value. Xavier has been a national program for 20 years. Bottom line is we are not negotiating from a position of strength, and until we have a 5,6,7 year run of national success that won't change. Gonzaga has a hard time getting true home games from P5 teams. This is 1 of the things fans likely have the least amount of insight into, in terms of how difficult it is to build a compelling home schedule for a school like URI.
It's the bad part of being on the east coast -- Of the top 50 or so schools in the country, how many are in the eastern part of the country? Just quickly looking through the top 50 from last season-- Villanova, Virginia, Duke, Cincinnati, West Virginia, Tennessee, Clemson, Xavier, Ohio St., Kentucky, Penn St., Florida, Auburn, Seton Hall, Florida St., Virginia Tech, Miami (FL), Louisville, Maryland, Syracuse, Davidson, Middle Tennessee, North Carolina St., Western Kentucky. There are 24 schools, and plenty more who you would say are more eastern than western (Michigan St., Michigan, Wichita St., Butler, Notre Dame, Missouri, Loyola Chicago, Kansas, Kansas St., Arkansas), and a fair amount more of a pretty much right in the middle (Texas Tech, Texas, Houston, TCU, Texas A&M, Creighton, Baylor, Oklahoma). It's a long-winded way of saying that there is just so much competition out east where teams can play teams within a 3-4 hour flight in any direction so they can be more selective in who they play. Out west, there are only a small handful of successful programs on an annual basis -- I think it allows schools like Nevada who comes out and has one good year to be able to schedule a fair amount of P5 programs because they are willing to take that shot for a relatively local opponent. Think about it, if you are a P12 team and you are looking to schedule higher-end games, how do you pull it off without traveling minimum halfway across the country? It's not easy.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I wouldn't have a problem with an X or WVU those are perennial powers
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reef wrote:Yeah I wouldn't have a problem with an X or WVU those are perennial powers

Xavier would be a great opponent but I doubt that they would ever schedule us anywhere near Kingston. They even dropped their longtime rival Dayton from future schedules after their conference switch. Why would they then play URI? Besides, they already visit RI every year to play PC. The only way URI plays Xavier is if it is a neutral site game in some event or a buy game at Cintas.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Here is a team for Rhody to schedule
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Not sure why Rhody mbb hasn't tweeted out game time yet.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody83 wrote:Not sure why Rhody mbb hasn't tweeted out game time yet.
So I guess we will be on at 1
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:
reef wrote:Yeah I wouldn't have a problem with an X or WVU those are perennial powers

Xavier would be a great opponent but I doubt that they would ever schedule us anywhere near Kingston. They even dropped their longtime rival Dayton from future schedules after their conference switch. Why would they then play URI? Besides, they already visit RI every year to play PC. The only way URI plays Xavier is if it is a neutral site game in some event or a buy game at Cintas.
I was being facetious when I mentioned X. Seeing as we played them in the RC for how many years? Kinda like playing Temple at Mohegan.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The time for the game versus Holy Cross at the DCU Center in Worcester on Saturday December 8th will be 1:05pm per their schedule release today:

http://www.nmnathletics.com/fls/33100/s ... 1531249743
theblueram
Frank Keaney

So when do we update the banner? It's a new year and nobody up top is on the team.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Probably by midnight madness. Those guys up there don’t bother me one bit.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

https://bustingbrackets.com/2018/08/26/ ... 19/amp/28/

Harvard and West Virginia both made this list.

Not sure if I'm convinced Harvards frontcourt is better than Duke's.

WVU however looks strong as all hell.
Konate is a monster.
Cyril will have to bring the noise in that one.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Anyone know when the the complete schedule with dates/times usually comes out?
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rhodyram wrote: 5 years ago Anyone know when the the complete schedule with dates/times usually comes out?
Usually midSeptember
Slava Ukraini!
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

While I generally like this year's OOC schedule, I believe that scheduling needs more balance. Yes, we play some top teams, but we offset that by playing some bad teams - Bryant, Brown, Holy Cross and if we have bad draw in Hawaii, Charlotte - three of whom have RPI's in the 300's and the other in very high 200's. Brown being a traditional rival I understand, but we need to play more teams in the 100 range
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I hear what you are saying but it seems everyone does it. They want some easy wins to start the season. Look at VCU’s non-conference schedule.
VCU MEN'S BASKETBALL
2018-19 NON-CONFERENCE SCHEDULE

DATE OPPONENT TIME
Oct. 20 VCU BLACK & GOLD GAME TBA
Oct. 30 TBD (Exhibition) TBA
Nov. 6 GARDNER-WEBB TBA
Nov. 9 &HAMPTON TBA
Nov. 12 &BOWLING GREEN TBA
Nov. 19 %vs. Temple 9:30 p.m.
Nov. 20 %vs. Cal/St. John's 5/7:30 p.m.
Nov. 24 HOFSTRA TBA
Nov. 28 at Old Dominion TBA
Dec. 1 IONA TBA
Dec. 5 at Texas TBA
Dec. 9 at Virginia TBA
Dec. 15 CHARLESTON TBA
Dec. 22 WICHITA STATE TBA
Dec. 30 RIDER TBA
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Every team in the country has some cupcakes on the schedule. Especially with our team this season being so young, can't put em through a gauntlet of only Top 100 teams in OOC.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

What is our best path to the NCAAs - at-large or automatic bid? I think the latter. Schedule the best opponents you can into a reasonable home, away and neutral site balance. Playing weak opponents encourages poor habits that retard development.
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Interested article. Some good press for A-10 ( even tho Temple isn’t in the A-10 anymore ) but also a jab at Nevada for buying out the Rhody game.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... -ramblers/
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I don’t think they can have much influence, but the basketball media is doing a pretty good job covering the scheduling concerns.

Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Would love to see a chart that analyzes SOS for mid majors.
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That's a great article and I feel bad for Porter Moser and all the mid majors with the scheduling

I JUST pray that our schedule will never be the reason we dont dance like what happened to Bona a couple years ago
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Conference schedule is out:
http://www.atlantic10.com/pdf9/5476110.pdf
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

If I looked correctly, 14 of the 18 games will be on either NBCSN, CBSSN, one of the ESPN networks, or Stadium. Here's the list from http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/ ... 0905kr1deu

2018-19 Rhode Island Atlantic 10 Schedule
Sunday, Jan. 6 – at Saint Louis, 4:00 p.m., ESPNU
Wednesday, Jan. 9 – at Richmond, TBD
Sunday, Jan. 13 – George Mason, 5:30 p.m., NBCSN
Wednesday, Jan. 16 – St. Bonaventure, TBD, CBSSN
Saturday, Jan. 19 – at La Salle, 2:30 p.m., NBCSN
Wednesday, Jan. 23 – VCU, TBD, CBSSN
Sunday, Jan. 27 – at Massachusetts 2:00 p.m., Stadium
Wednesday, Jan. 30 – at Duquesne, TBD
Saturday, Feb. 2 – Saint Louis, TBD, CBSSN
Wednesday, Feb. 6 – at Davidson, 7:00 p.m., ESPNU
Saturday, Feb. 9 Dayton, TBD, CBSSN
Saturday, Feb. 16 – Fordham, 2:00 p.m., NBCSN
Tuesday, Feb. 19 – at VCU, TBD, CBSSN
Friday, Feb. 22 – Davidson, 7:00 p.m., ESPN2/U
Tuesday, Feb. 26 – George Washington, TBD
Friday, March 1 – at Dayton 7:00 p.m., ESPN2
Tuesday, March 5 – at Saint Joseph's, TBD, CBSSN
Saturday, March 9 – Massachusetts, TBD

Only the 2 UMass games, the GW game and at Richmond are not televised currently. Hoping they get picked up at least via stream, especially the 2 road games.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago If I looked correctly, 14 of the 18 games will be on either NBCSN, CBSSN, one of the ESPN networks, or Stadium. Here's the list from http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/ ... 0905kr1deu

2018-19 Rhode Island Atlantic 10 Schedule
Sunday, Jan. 6 – at Saint Louis, 4:00 p.m., ESPNU
Wednesday, Jan. 9 – at Richmond, TBD
Sunday, Jan. 13 – George Mason, 5:30 p.m., NBCSN
Wednesday, Jan. 16 – St. Bonaventure, TBD, CBSSN
Saturday, Jan. 19 – at La Salle, 2:30 p.m., NBCSN
Wednesday, Jan. 23 – VCU, TBD, CBSSN
Sunday, Jan. 27 – at Massachusetts 2:00 p.m., Stadium
Wednesday, Jan. 30 – at Duquesne, TBD
Saturday, Feb. 2 – Saint Louis, TBD, CBSSN
Wednesday, Feb. 6 – at Davidson, 7:00 p.m., ESPNU
Saturday, Feb. 9 Dayton, TBD, CBSSN
Saturday, Feb. 16 – Fordham, 2:00 p.m., NBCSN
Tuesday, Feb. 19 – at VCU, TBD, CBSSN
Friday, Feb. 22 – Davidson, 7:00 p.m., ESPN2/U
Tuesday, Feb. 26 – George Washington, TBD
Friday, March 1 – at Dayton 7:00 p.m., ESPN2
Tuesday, March 5 – at Saint Joseph's, TBD, CBSSN
Saturday, March 9 – Massachusetts, TBD

Only the 2 UMass games, the GW game and at Richmond are not televised currently. Hoping they get picked up at least via stream, especially the 2 road games.
Rhode Island A-10 games will appear on the CBSSN six times, the ESPN family of networks three times, NBCSN three times and Stadium once.
14 of 18 conference games will be televised. Only at Richmond and at Duquense and home to UMass and GW not televised. Conference tv schedule is surprisingly good considering all the program losses. Unfortunately, not many OOC games will be televised. I would think the PC game is a given on the Fox network and likely the WVU game and some of the Hawaii games will be televised. The only viewing option for most of the OOC games will probably be limited to streaming.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Every A10 game not on national TV with be streamed on ESPN+. If you already have an insider subscription, ESPN+ will be free.
Go Rhody
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

By my count 7 out of the 9 games at the RC are fri/sat/sun. Should get some nice crowds.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Also, only 2 during break, so the students will be there for 7 out of 9.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I love a Saturday for the La Salle game, but it still seems strange not to have either of the Philly teams twice.