[OFFICIAL] Hurley Signs Extension With URI

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Ben
Abdul Fox

Re: [UPDATE] Hurley Reportedly Signing Extension With URI

Unread post by Ben »

I'm a bit late to the party on this. Can someone please tell me how, exactly, this is definite (Hurley staying)?

For whatever reason, I don't feel confident until I see that he officially signed. Someone, please help me to feel better about this. thanks, in advance.
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

I hope this is true 100%. Excuse my language but I fucking love Dan Hurley and what he can do here. I love URI we can be at the top and we will be soon!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

What's encouraging is that Hurley, indeed, is looking at the long-term. By improving the program as a whole, he knows it'll help in recruiting which, in turn, will improve his own prospects. If he builds a consistent winner, he may jump to a destination job, but we'll be better positioned to attract a better replacement.
Slava Ukraini!
wakefield
Steve Chubin

Unread post by wakefield »

ajerseyguy

"Anyone who thinks that Skinner can’t still recruit, coach and win is flat out wrong, but then again we are dealing with a core group of athletic directors who want to win press conferences as much or more than they want to win games, who use search firms to tell them who is good and who is not.

If I were Rutgers and I wanted to reshape my image and establish stability quickly, I would look at Big East associate commissioner Nick Carparelli as the Director of Athletics and if you want the Jersey connection, I would talk to Hurley. But I would also give Skinner more than a quick look."
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Still not a peep on projo dot com. almost 5 past 10.

Zero.

Amazing stir the pot and then the soup doesn't come out the way you want run and hide.

Ha ha silence speaks volumes.

The downcity nightmare coming true is gonna be sooooo sweet!
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

rodfromcranston wrote:BRB thinks he's too good for our board. Whatever......
You remember that thread I'm talking about. Very entertaining!
No, I agree with you, it was a pretty, stupid, pointless thread, where one was trying to get the other to come fight in the handicap bathroom stall outside of section X for whatever reason, I can't even remember why.

Rich is more than fair with his banning technique as a whole though. People who bring valuable content to the site get a longer leash than people who are trying to flame or spam or start fights, and not for nothing Rod, but you know what your intent was. I believe there are no temporary timeouts, otherwise I'm sure everyone would face the occasionally 24 hour timeout.

Back on topic, the more news that comes out, the better it looks for URI. It's funny because when I got home tonight, I started reading this thread on page 11, and talk about difference in emotions from page 11 to page 13 to page 15. Good for URI though, hopefully this sticks and DH can get back to getting some weapons to maybe keep the game close next year in Kingston :D
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Atta boy ATP !
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

When Hurley signs the extension, he will then inform the media that he will not be going anywhere. Any overtures from Rutgers will be rejected.

He might even do that tomorrow morning, on the aforementioned radio show.

I would guess Dan will then sign on Tuesday, when he gets back from the FF.
Last edited by rambone 78 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
scine20
ARD

Re: And it begins.. Renewed Speculation of Dan Hurley to Rut

Unread post by scine20 »

TruePoint wrote:Is this going to be in the Projo tomorrow?

When this extension is signed, people that called out the coach's character should be ready to repent.
I sure as heck will.

I'll apologize on this board once I see it.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

hrstrat57 wrote:Still not a peep on projo dot com. almost 5 past 10.

Zero.

Amazing stir the pot and then the soup doesn't come out the way you want run and hide.

They're not worrying about the website now. It's near deadline for the dead tree version of the paper.
Slava Ukraini!
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

hrstrat57 wrote:Still not a peep on projo dot com. almost 5 past 10.

Zero.

In all fairness, we can't expect them to miss "last call" at whatever dive they're in.
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

ramfan85 wrote:My head is spinning. If this turns out to be true about Hurley staying, maybe we should ask the mods to completely erase this thread.

Oh, and by the way, I just found out what the BloJo's top story is for tomorrow: "Ravens beat the Pats in AFC Championship game."
Nah, they're not that far yet.

They're still covering the Red Sox collapse in 2011.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It's really sad...that the last media outlet to report important news about it's state university, is in it's own state.

All the projo's sports "reporters" do now, is reword news from other outlets. Last to know, first to blow.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Who gives a shit if the Projo ever reports on this story, the Projo is irrelevant. They are dying a slow death like most newspapers around the country.

What is more important is URI gaining relevance on the national scale. I love that Sports Illustrated is all over the Hurley extension, then followed up by Zags Blog and NJlive.

But, HERE is the most interesting part, did anyone see Billy Baron's jab at URI athletics....

Hey Billy, sour grapes buddy. Your dad had ten years at URI and couldn't accomplish a damn thing. Nobody cares about soft 20 win seasons, take that shit to Canisius where you and your pappy belong!

Btw here are some more links to Hurley fodder, including Cordischi chiming in....

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/collegesp ... z2PjxmL277

http://www.golocalprov.com/sports/repor ... -contract/

Hoping someone will get a podcast to this as I'm not going to be up at 7AM....

rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Grandkids in bed, daughter out with her friends.
Now I have quiet and can watch Michgan win.
Oh, I have to walk Arthur soon......
I am very happy right now, and no Debbie Downers can spoil it.
Do what Shaka does. Us against the world!
Plus, when was the last time the Blojo broke a story on URI?
Art Martone, Sean McAdam and half the Projo staff were right, when they went to CSNE. The print media is dying.
Gotta love Cordishi bringing he financial problems at URI into it.
Wooo! Better hope Hurley isn't sucky like Jim Baron!
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Who is Cindy Boren?

Ex Cindy Baron? :P
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I'm sure CFL is pushing for more folding chairs on the floor of their gym.
As for Billy, he wasn't here long enough to know what our programs are like.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod, Cordischi is a toad.

Like the state is going to pay for any of it, meaning program improvements. Not hardly.

I'm sure some of the money needed

was wrangled out of some boosters, and some will come from increased revenue from winning.

Just like the money to get rid of clown-o came from boosters.
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

Hope the rumors are true
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Wow, I went out 5 hours ago all pissed off and come home to read this. What a roller coaster of emotions today regarding my favorite sports team. And SCREW PC. I HATE THAT SCHOOL. I HATE DAVE GAVITT...... AND ALL YOU PC FANS...SCREW YOU TOO!!! .....there, i got that off my chest, i feel better.
Rhody Blue
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Rhody Blue »

Rod- Ask your sources whether Chris Christie called Hurley . I heard he did call Hurley, but want additional confirmation. Great news all the way around......
RhodyNJ
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RhodyNJ »

Rhody Blue wrote:Rod- Ask your sources whether Chris Christie called Hurley . I heard he did call Hurley, but want additional confirmation. Great news all the way around......
I saw that he called Mike Brey from ND to ask advice on the situation as a whole. Not sure what the connection is there or if Brey has any relationships with Hurley, Howland, etc.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Obadiah wrote:Sorry, Rod, that you got banned from the PC board. But the moderators of that board just can't rise above pettiness. They couldn't carry the glove of the moderators of this board in terms of being cool and classy.

On the Hurley redux, I'm going to wait a bit before celebrating. The Harrick double-take years ago still has me twitching when I encounter similar situations.
Rod, you're better off
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Unable to listen to DH on the radio tomorrow morning so I am counting on you guys for a real good summary of what he had to say...........
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

steviep123 wrote:
Obadiah wrote:Sorry, Rod, that you got banned from the PC board. But the moderators of that board just can't rise above pettiness. They couldn't carry the glove of the moderators of this board in terms of being cool and classy.

On the Hurley redux, I'm going to wait a bit before celebrating. The Harrick double-take years ago still has me twitching when I encounter similar situations.
Rod, you're better off
Rod,

You know you says more then shit. It's free fir anyone to look at. You picked a fight, lost your temper and got run. No big deal; just own it. Drop the persecution complex. If a PC fan came on here and started dropping expletives at everyone; he'd get run too
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

eli#10 wrote:Unable to listen to DH on the radio tomorrow morning so I am counting on you guys for a real good summary of what he had to say...........
ESPN radio is usually really good about quickly getting interview segments online. I'll post it as soon as I can find it. Until then...

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The reason people should get banned is because they come to taunt or to contradict excessively. rod did neither of those things, expletives are a minor issue because delete feature is always there. The best example was Brutus, now there was an asshole.
peeps4life
Kenny Green

Unread post by peeps4life »

maybe rod telling me to die had something to do with it. richard coren let's posters exist well past their due date.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I said that on our URI board, not the Cryiz board.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Kingston
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Kingston »

It's a lock Hurley is here to stay.

Put the house on it. This is going to be a great week. Can anyone recall an offseason like this. Time for rhody to become the flagship basketball program of the northeast. And yes is realize uconn is in the northeast. All I keep thinking in my head is the LETS GO RHODY chat in my head.
peeps4life
Kenny Green

Unread post by peeps4life »

it's funny... because it's also been widely reported that pc is working on an extension with cooley... but everyone here still thinks PC is a stepping stone for him. weird how that works when the shoe is on the other foot. and FWIW... neither coach actually HAS an extension signed.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rambone 78 wrote: It is a little unsettling, that URI may have been dragging it's feet on promised program improvements, until the Rutgers situation forced their hand.
According to Zags this has been in the works for months, so Rutgers had nothing to do with it.
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/espn-ra ... 29818?mt=8

Link to ESPN Radio app to be able to listen to 98.7 New York.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Thank you Danny Hurley for staying at URI !!!
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Nothing in the ProJo's Sunday edition, either. Losers ....
Slava Ukraini!
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Don't know if a post I made yesterday go through, so apologies if I'm repetitive. I just thought that there was a sense of values in the Hurley family starting with the father that would not have Coach leave just for money. Did Dan call his dad and ask for advice? Who knows? But one could imagine him saying that he had a job to finish at Kingston and a responsiblity to those who he recruited. One way or the other, I'm proud to be a Ram fan this morning with Coach Hurley leading us to better things. Go Rhody!
RamJam
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RamJam »

Rod - Told you this was gonna happen in a PM and you lambasted me as well as another. I appreciate it. The both of us are patiently awaiting your humbled apology, which I doubt we will see.

When I posted Friday, deal for Dan was in the works. Heard about 2 hours later that URI was matching. I knew it sounded crazy indeed, but that's exactly what happened.

Bottom line is good news for URI, A10 and college basketball in general.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Ramjam, that's not what happened. What did URI "match", exactly? Dan is not getting paid more, as has been reported, with this extension. Rather, the contract language guarantees certain program upgrades such as travel, training, etc.

Zagoria, who you could say is Dan's personal, unofficial mouthpiece, says the extension has been in the works for months. This makes sense given communication from people like Daryl Jasper who continually reminded us all that we have to give Dan the tools he needs to transform Rhody into a championship program.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

By the way, Dan Hurley is NOW LIVE on ESPN Radio!
The ESPNradio website allows you to scrollback in case you miss the interview, which started at approximately 7:35am
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?s=espn
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Listening now ... Dan said extension talks for several months. Family loves RI and has adjusted well. Rebuilding a "tough thing to go through" .... looking forward to coming back and looking forward to a "huge jump" next year.

"I'm really happy where I am at right now .... wants to be in a position where I can take a program to the highest level. .... so excited to be there and about the future."

He's staying folks. He certainly sounds like he's at Rhody to get the job done.
Slava Ukraini!
RamJam
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RamJam »

It was told to me that Rutgers has a 2 million dollar deal on the table. That same source, 2 hours later said that URI was going to match and extend Hurley. I didnt post the 2nd part because A) didnt want anything getting back to original source b) no one would believe it and c) i would get ridiculed like i did.

Look back at the posts, I PMed Rod who then talked about the offer being matched. Said I should stick to writing fiction or WWE scripts. (which are totally real by the way)
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

They are covering multiple topics, but the most important is that Dan said multiple times that he's staying and has no interest in talking to Rutgers.

Says family likes it here and that having to rebuild programs during 2 of his 3 seasons as a head coach takes a huge toll and he isn't prepared to start from scratch once again.

Also speaking about Gilvydas, Mike Rice and various other topics.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

RamJam wrote:It was told to me that Rutgers has a 2 million dollar deal on the table. That same source, 2 hours later said that URI was going to match and extend Hurley. I didnt post the 2nd part because A) didnt want anything getting back to original source b) no one would believe it and c) i would get ridiculed like i did.

Look back at the posts, I PMed Rod who then talked about the offer being matched. Said I should stick to writing fiction or WWE scripts. (which are totally real by the way)
You keep saying "match".. Rhody is not matching anything with Dan. There was no $2M deal/offer. That was the bullshit account that was floating around a few nights ago that Rod, among others, received.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

RamJam wrote:It was told to me that Rutgers has a 2 million dollar deal on the table. That same source, 2 hours later said that URI was going to match and extend Hurley. I didnt post the 2nd part because A) didnt want anything getting back to original source b) no one would believe it and c) i would get ridiculed like i did.

By saying "matching offer" suggests:

1. There was an offer on the table from Rutgers. Dan said nothing in his interview about an offer.
2. All reports said the extension was not about the money. So, if he was, indeed, offered $2 million, he won't be receiving that kind of money from URI .... at least in the current contract.

What you reported and what's being reported now are two vastly different things. Stop thumping your chest and rejoice like the rest of us are.
Slava Ukraini!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

EZBuckets wrote:Says family likes it here and that having to rebuild programs during 2 of his 3 seasons as a head coach takes a huge toll and he isn't prepared to start from scratch once again.
Exactly! He hates losing. Ready for huge hump in wins next year and all that will come with it.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Side note: both Dan and the interviewer referred to Biruta as "Gil" .... ;-)
Slava Ukraini!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Dan is very passionate about the uptempo style of basketball he hopes to see in Monday's championship game. He's definitely NOT a fan of the grappling "wrestling match" style that has seemingly taken over at so many programs and conferences.

This is additional good news for Rhody fans who will be treated to an entertaining, WINNING style of basketball with responsible man-to-man defense, strong rebounding and a multifaceted offensive threat.
Rhody74 wrote:Side note: both Dan and the interviewer referred to Biruta as "Gil" .... ;-)
Heard that. Wonder if he was just continuing with the shortened name for Gilvydas because the host started it? Honestly though, I think Dan has used the short version all last season on radio and TV.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

It's a familiarity thing. You know him, you can call him Gil.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

seanmc94 wrote:Not one of those reporters ever said or wrote he SHOULD leave. They gave reason why he could leave. The rest was inferred by you.
I notice that you failed to report that rooke and SC were on record this morning stating that they wanted DH to stay. I would assume you git banned for excessive profanity; not your opinion. If you're going to report what they say; tell the whole story.
Sean: Go back and read Cordischi's column. He said given the chance Hurley would leave in a New Jersey minute. Turns out he was wrong. So now he writes a column that the reason he was wrong was that the Rutgers AD got fired. Pathetic.
Donaldson wrote a column on who URI should hire to replace Hurley before Rutgers even made an offer. Also pathetic.
That's the whole story.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

the projo is waiting to do a piece on why we can't afford whatever is in the extension, and should be happy with what we have; just accept that we will always come up short. Not big enough, not enough money, not enough fans...blah blah blah.

They sure were quick to right the obit for the Hurley time in Kingston...not so much the loyal Hurley story.

This story might actually require work, since they can't just roll out stories from the archives and change the names and dates like they usually do.
Last edited by RIFan 11 years ago, edited 2 times in total.