Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Re: Covid-19 Effect on College Basketball & Other Sports

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Check out this article from USA TODAY:

Miami Marlins postpone game vs. Baltimore Orioles amid COVID-19 outbreak in clubhouse

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/m ... 517164002/
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Seems like they're all asymptomatic? Time will tell. Juan Soto of The Nationals had a false positive. Hope for the best and move on.
GO RAMS
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Seems like they're all asymptomatic? Time will tell. Juan Soto of The Nationals had a false positive. Hope for the best and move on.
We shall see.

David Price chipping on Twitter
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

What a joke, sounds like MLB barely has a protocol if at all. So upon learning there were several positive players on the team, with many other tests outstanding, Don Mattingly decides to let its shortstop decide whether the team should play Sunday's game? So presumably the league or team has no button on the pulse of these tests to make quick decisions? Looney tunes how the NBA has the good sense in the early days of the virus to effectively postpone the season within a few hours of Rudy Gobert's positive test, yet over 4 months later MLB has no system in place that can prevent an outbreak within a team. Unfreakingreal.

https://www.inquirer.com/phillies/miami ... 00727.html
RI_Rams
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RI_Rams »

Yeah now this is going to be made a big deal. How MLB responds is HUGE!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

So one game gets postponed. What about all of the games that have been played? The sky didn't fall on those games.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

No but I think my greater takeaway is that:

1) The protocols aren't working
2) If your team gets hit like Florida your season is basically over

Florida was never a contender anyway, but will basically have to roll out a AAA roster for the next 2+ weeks.

Not to mention the guys that take months to come back versus weeks.

But at least we are all weeks away from watching the Pawtucket Paw Sox versus the Toledo Mud Hens on ESPN while a bunch of players try to fight off serious illness to allow that to happen.

All sounds good to me.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

The National Collegiate Athletic Association will allow schools to reduce their fall sports schedules to half of a typical season. The new waiver would not apply to football.

In a statement issued on Monday, the collegiate governing body revealed the waiver will be made available for men’s and women’s cross country, men’s and women’s soccer, field hockey, men’s water polo and women’s volleyball teams.

Those in conferences that have “eliminated” non-conference matchups for the upcoming season can continue to play while avoiding to schedule additional games. The change aims to limit travel and exposure to all parties involved amid the Covid-19 pandemic.

The NCAA’s oversight committee also suspended the criteria that required teams to have “at least a .500 record” to receive at-large bids into a championship field due to this new mandate.

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/cor ... index.html
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

ramster wrote: 3 years ago So one game gets postponed. What about all of the games that have been played? The sky didn't fall on those games.
The sky has not fallen yet, but the decision-making leaves a lot to be desired! Miguel Rojas, MD and shortstop for the Marlins making informed medical decisions about whether to play the game Sunday is...less than ideal. Doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling that the schedule will be completed.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rhodyruckus wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago So one game gets postponed. What about all of the games that have been played? The sky didn't fall on those games.
The sky has not fallen yet, but the decision-making leaves a lot to be desired! Miguel Rojas, MD and shortstop for the Marlins making informed medical decisions about whether to play the game Sunday is...less than ideal. Doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling that the schedule will be completed.
The way the Red Sox have been playing I wouldn’t mind if the season ended today.
Slava Ukraini!
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Rhody74 wrote: 3 years ago
The way the Red Sox have been playing I wouldn’t mind if the season ended today.
But if we're the only team without an outbreak who can finish the season does that make us World Series champions?
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

No phillies players tested positive at this point. Also, we shouldn't act as if these guys are all pealing over sick as dogs. Not sure any of them even knew they were sick. Quarantine them and move on. Hopefully its only a few games.
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

NFL players are some of the toughest people on earth. Are they scared of this virus? Nah, they're tough......6 Pats players have already opted out.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think we are going to see lots of opt outs in the NFL this week before they report to camp
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

So let them opt out. Their choice.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

D1 MAAC Cancels all fall sports

Unread post by RF1 »

Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) has decided to cancel fall sports competition due to continuing health and safety concerns surrounding the global COVID-19 pandemic

https://maacsports.com/news/2020/7/27/g ... ition.aspx
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Now the Cardinals have Covid cases, forcing more postponements. MLB should just shut it down. It ain’t workin’.
Slava Ukraini!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

As of now, its only two guys. marlins should be good soon, and the Phillies all tested negative. Also, at least from what I've read, none of these guys are actually being effected from it. Faster turn around. Ultimately, its up to them to be more cautious as well.
GO RAMS
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Slava Ukraini!
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

I could conceivably see the NFL season proceeding due to the week between games although their large rosters pose a problem, but MLB is FAR too casual based on the fact their teams play about every day (60 games in 63 days). And as I read in an article yesterday their tests go to a lab in Utah and results are received in 36 hours. So unless you are tested early in the AM, you aren't getting the results back by the time of TOMORROW's game. And I think the untold problem is with many more positive tests, it won't be the league that shuts themselves down, but individual states or cities will shut the league down. As it is Massachusetts is making an exception for Sox opponents outside of the northeast to be going to Fenway without a quarantine like for normal travelers, so if they feel these players are willfully not taking all the precautions then that is subject to revocation.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody74 wrote: 3 years ago Now the Cardinals have Covid cases, forcing more postponements. MLB should just shut it down. It ain’t workin’.
It's working for the majority of teams. We love to read about the negatives, the team or two that are having to cancel or postpone games. But we never right about all the games that are going on and all the teams that are having no Covid issues.

The teams with the issues need to look at what behavioral practices are leading to the Covid cases. If 90% of teams can have no issues then what are the 10% doing differently?

And if there was no baseball would the players on these teams still have Covid? It's not necessarily true that Baseball is causing Covid cases. Maybe check into where these players are going on their own time.

MLB is moving forward
NFL is moving forward
FCS Football is moving forward
Stock Market keeps moving ahead especially with US Technology Companies going nuts

Vaccines with potential:

Moderna
Pfizer with BioNTec
Johnson and Johnson
Glaxco and Sanofi
AstraZeneca and Oxford University
Merck
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I'll let you run in line first for one of those vaccines with potential ... Three months ago it was that a vaccine normally took at least 18 months to be fully vetted and tested. Three months later we are told a vaccine will be ready in 6-9 months. Hmmm ... Heck, Russia is ready to release a vaccine in 2 weeks.

I don't want to be anywhere near a vaccine until it can be proven out to be safe. I hope a vaccine in 6-9 months is safe but I'm certainly not running for it. I'll give it a month or two to see any side effects in those who received it.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

MLB commissioner is already warning networks to plan for alternate programming.
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Age and risk factors will have a lot to do with the assessment each of us will make about getting vaccinated. At my advanced age and risk factors I am more likely to get vaccinated (particularly if Fauci endorses it). I believe that a vaccine is much more likely to be ineffective than unsafe. After all, a vaccine only has to be 50% effective to be approved by the FDA.
NCAAs or Bust!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I will get vaccinated ONLY if there's zero chance you could get the virus by doing so.

Not like normal flu vaccines that can give you the flu.

Last time I got the flu, was just after I got vaccinated.....haven't got a shot since, and that was 22 years ago.

I have no doubt that vaccines will become available maybe even this year, but how effective will they be, especially for older folks?
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Makes sense that the vaccine is available faster then other vaccines. The entire world is working on it. Plus once it’s distributed, even if half the population takes it, that’s lowering your chances of infection significantly.
GO RAMS
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Eduardo Rodriguez is a 27-year-old MLB pitcher who won 19 games last year. He tested positive for COVID19, quarantined, then returned to the team. He was just diagnosed with myocarditis, an inflammation of the heart, and won't play for the rest of the season.

This shit is real, folks.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Makes sense that the vaccine is available faster then other vaccines. The entire world is working on it. Plus once it’s distributed, even if half the population takes it, that’s lowering your chances of infection significantly.
AstraZeneca, Pfizer, Johnson and Johnson and others are already making the vaccine by the millions. When approved then they can quickly distribute billions of doses around the world. If the vaccine fails for approval they just dispose of it.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago Makes sense that the vaccine is available faster then other vaccines. The entire world is working on it. Plus once it’s distributed, even if half the population takes it, that’s lowering your chances of infection significantly.
AstraZeneca, Pfizer, Johnson and Johnson and others are already making the vaccine by the millions. When approved then they can quickly distribute billions of doses around the world. If the vaccine fails for approval they just dispose of it.
yup dispose of it in some unsuspecting municipality's water supply. :P
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago Eduardo Rodriguez is a 27-year-old MLB pitcher who won 19 games last year. He tested positive for COVID19, quarantined, then returned to the team. He was just diagnosed with myocarditis, an inflammation of the heart, and won't play for the rest of the season.

E-Rod is an excellent pitcher but not really a "star" since he's been overshadowed a bit by Chris Sale and David Price in the rotation leading up to now. If he was a household name like Mookie or Trout, MLB would be freaking the hell out and I'm sure we would be seeing a lot more opt-outs than have been occurring.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

PeteRI wrote: 3 years ago Eduardo Rodriguez is a 27-year-old MLB pitcher who won 19 games last year. He tested positive for COVID19, quarantined, then returned to the team. He was just diagnosed with myocarditis, an inflammation of the heart, and won't play for the rest of the season.

E-Rod is an excellent pitcher but not really a "star" since he's been overshadowed a bit by Chris Sale and David Price in the rotation leading up to now. If he was a household name like Mookie or Trout, MLB would be freaking the hell out and I'm sure we would be seeing a lot more opt-outs than have been occurring.
He was 3rd in the majors in wins last year, behind only Verlander and Cole. He's a big name.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

People get Myocarditis from many viruses, it is "rare" but it is not just a COVID thing. Yes the virus is real which is why you will see some typical things that happen with viruses. In fact you will likely see more than usual, because a lot of people probably have un-diagnosed myocarditis after colds or herpes or any other viral infection but would never know because they aren't being treated or observed the same way as they are after COVID.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Heart problem in recovered covid19 individuals is not rare.
https://www.newsweek.com/most-recovered ... ws-1521456
NCAAs or Bust!
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

Does anyone else find the same misinformation from the same people exhausting? Sports are already a shit show and there’s still a few months until basketball season.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

URI_05 wrote: 3 years ago Does anyone else find the same misinformation from the same people exhausting? Sports are already a shit show and there’s still a few months until basketball season.
If you eat right and get enough exercise, that wards away the exhaustion.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

URI_05 wrote: 3 years ago Does anyone else find the same misinformation from the same people exhausting? Sports are already a shit show and there’s still a few months until basketball season.
Some people just won’t admit that the virus should have been taken seriously when it arrived here back in January or February.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
If you eat right and get enough exercise, that wards away the exhaustion.
I heard Tom Brady has a supplement for that.
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago

He was 3rd in the majors in wins last year, behind only Verlander and Cole. He's a big name.
Eh, agree on the skill level, but agree to disagree on the star power. He finished 6th in Cy Young voting and really last year was his first season making over 24 starts. I've been high on him but am also a Sox homer.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Baseball's doing tremendous with this coronavirus thingy. Only like an 82.5% infection rate so far! 😃
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

NCAA Will Make Decision On Start Of College Basketball By September
https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamzagori ... 34977474d0
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I expect some sort of delay with the possible 2nd wave of the virus
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

All Marlins players are now negative. Apparently none were actually effected .lol this virus is crazy.
GO RAMS
RI_Rams
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RI_Rams »

Meanwhile, hockey has ZERO positive tests out of over 7,000 samples taken.
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

RI_Rams wrote: 3 years ago Meanwhile, hockey has ZERO positive tests out of over 7,000 samples taken.
The bubbles appear to be working, that is good news. Great for NBA basketball and NHL hockey. They also had an advantage in that only teams playing deep into the playoffs will spend a 2-3 month time away from home. I think baseball could have done maybe pods instead of a single bubble (one east, one central, one west), but tough to see a good isolation strategy for football. The best hope football has is with one game per week positive players end up missing a few games maximum, and there is time between games to practice with the "next man up". All this ignores that the players of non-bubble sports are freely in contact with family, so outbreaks can infect more than the players themselves.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

In a conversation I heard on ESPN Radio yesterday, Bart Scott was saying one thing that NFL teams will need to do in order to attempt to have a successful season is to eliminate position group meetings. For instance, you don’t want all the linebackers together in meetings, since the others would have to quarantine or isolate if one tests positive, and how do you play the game with no linebackers. Even worse if it happened with quarterbacks. The coaching staffs are going to have to get creative. They may need to use Zoom within the facility or use it with everyone in the group being home. This will be more of a challenge when on the road.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

The MLB would be difficult in a bubble because of the size of the rosters. 30 man rosters plus coaches trainers and staff multiplied times 30 teams. 60 game season to boot which is more then the other leagues who already had played most of their season.
GO RAMS
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

UCONN announced this morning that it has suspended its 2020 football season. The cynical view is that it’s not a big deal because they are not in a conference for football at present and the program makes little to no money. Some experts have said they may have lost money if they played this year. It’s still a big decision, though.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago The MLB would be difficult in a bubble because of the size of the rosters. 30 man rosters plus coaches trainers and staff multiplied times 30 teams. 60 game season to boot which is more then the other leagues who already had played most of their season.
It would be difficult to utilize one bubble, but why not three?

I mean the NHL has two bubbles, one in Edmonton and one in Toronto.

MLB teams are only playing division foes anyway (or comparable division foes).

They very easily could have had all 10 East, all 10 central, and all 10 west teams stationed in one facility.

Then for the playoffs, they could re-bubble the AL and NL for early postseason games, and again for CS and WS games.

I'd argue football could have figured out something similar -- Have 4 pods (East, Central, North, West).

Give every team 14 games (15 weeks w/ bye). 2 games against your division, 2 games against other division.

Playoff game 1 - Have it be a division championship game -- So the top 2 teams in the AFC East play, etc.

Winners get moved to one/two bubbles (bye week built in).

Then they play out the divisional round and championship game, and combine for Super Bowl. Problem solved.

Baseball might make it because they only needed to go 3 months.

I don't see football making it 5-6 months going into a "second wave."

Also if they had bubbled, maybe so many guys don't opt out?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Another difference between MLB and the NFL is that when a baseball team plays away, they're in that city for 3 days, which gives them more time to wander and 'misbehave'. NFL teams get to a city on Saturday, have team meetings and team meal on Saturday night, team breakfast on Sunday morning, head to the stadium, play the game and get on a plane and fly back. There's not much time to do anything else.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Perhaps the risk of them traveling around a foreign city and contracting the virus with extracurriculars is low, but it's still a risk every day from when they leave the practice field to when they return the following day. Are they going straight home? Are the people they live with staying home? Or are they going out and about? If people are going out to supermarkets, malls, movies, restaurants, etc., it's a risk every time you leave the house and the chance you are taking the virus back to the team. It's the same risk we all have but the difference is most of us don't have employers with enough financial wherewithal to build a safe, secure bubble system that could eliminate almost all risk and allow for the season to be completed without any viral drama.