2/11 | Dayton | 7:30PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2/11 | Dayton | 7:30PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by Blue Man »

To keep perspective as we look to Joes; if you had told me 5 weeks ago on the morning or January 6th, when we woke up 8-5, 0-1 - with a NET of 91 - nowhere near anyone's idea of a bubble with 0 Q1 wins and a Q1/Q2 record of 3-4...

...that 5 weeks later on Feb 12th we would be 18-6, 10-2 with a NET of 35 - squarely in the field with a Q1 win and a Q1/Q2 record of 6-5, and that 1 loss would be a top 10 team on the road. I'd have said you were crazy, but I'd have been ecstatic.

Last night was an embarrassing anomaly, but didn't derail any season goals. We're still in the running for a top 10 season that this program has ever had. Things are very good.

Burn the tape. Turn the page. Kill the Hawk.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago To keep perspective as we look to Joes; if you had told me 5 weeks ago on the morning or January 6th, when we woke up 8-5, 0-1 - with a NET of 91 - nowhere near anyone's idea of a bubble with 0 Q1 wins and a Q1/Q2 record of 3-4...

...that 5 weeks later on Feb 12th we would be 18-6, 10-2 with a NET of 35 - squarely in the field with a Q1 win and a Q1/Q2 record of 6-5, and that 1 loss would be a top 10 team on the road. I'd have said you were crazy, but I'd have been ecstatic.

Last night was an embarrassing anomaly, but didn't derail any season goals. We're still in the running for a top 10 season that this program has ever had. Things are very good.

Yes cut both wings off so he can no longer flap like a lunatic that mascot is haha.

I think how they respond to close the season will tell me more about this team then last night did. How do you get up from stumbling shows me the type of character a team possesses. Let's see if cox can push the right buttons to close this thing out like we did last year. And over the last 10 games.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
Bill Koch wrote: 4 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago I thought Bill was referencing Ryan Daly with the comment, never thought it was intended to be a dig at Fatts.
I wasn't referencing any specific player. It was completely arbitrary.

Again, the tweet was an appreciation of Landers. When it comes all-conference time, give me a winning player on a great team rather than a volume scorer on a bad team. Period. That's it.
Confusion about your tweet aside, I completely agree with you and I think most basketball people do, too. It’s too bad that the conference’s coaches don’t share that theory, or at least they didn’t when they voted on the 2017-18 conference awards - one of the all-time traveshamockeries that has basically made the awards themselves almost meaningless to me.
Xavier Munford plays for a bad team and cannot win a conference award.

Ok, cool. The 17-18 team is the best in the conference, bring on the awards.

No, sorry. Must honor the defensive eliteness of Yuta Watanabe.
Last edited by ace 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by daytonflyerfan »

4Diffs wrote: 4 years ago
This is the type of game where they really miss a low post scoring option. That is where Dayton can be had, but we have no one who can score in the low post with any kind of consistency. It might have been nice to actually throw it in there and give it a try though as nothing else was working.
I disagree about RI not having a low post scoring option...you have Cyril who you did not use nearly enough at least in the 2nd half...totally agree with the rest of your post though, they should have rode Cyril much more
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago To keep perspective as we look to Joes; if you had told me 5 weeks ago on the morning or January 6th, when we woke up 8-5, 0-1 - with a NET of 91 - nowhere near anyone's idea of a bubble with 0 Q1 wins and a Q1/Q2 record of 3-4...

Yes cut both wings off so he can no longer flap like a lunatic that mascot is haha.

I think how they respond to close the season will tell me more about this team then last night did. How do you get up from stumbling shows me the type of character a team possesses. Let's see if cox can push the right buttons to close this thing out like we did last year. And over the last 10 games.
Agreed, I'm excited to see how they respond because I really believe they are going to come out mad as hell the rest of the season, refocused and ready to go.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

It’s going to be great to watch him develop even more this season and into the next.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

daytonflyerfan wrote: 4 years ago
This is the type of game where they really miss a low post scoring option. That is where Dayton can be had, but we have no one who can score in the low post with any kind of consistency. It might have been nice to actually throw it in there and give it a try though as nothing else was working.
I disagree about RI not having a low post scoring option...you have Cyril who you did not use nearly enough at least in the 2nd half...totally agree with the rest of your post though, they should have rode Cyril much more
DFF: Langevine is shooting 47.7 percent from the field, much lower than the last two years.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago What I will not do: blame officials for my team losing a game in which we trailed 17-0; claim the officials are biased against my team with no substantiation; claim the game is fixed or that referees bet on the game; make physical threats of violence against officials, even as a joke (admittedly working on this one).

What I will do, happily, all the time: call out shitty officiating that hurts my team; acknowledge that most refs are terrible human beings.
100% agree with your take here - however, the technical with 8 seconds in the half changed the game completely and is 100% unacceptable. Yes they called a shitty T on Dayton a few minutes earlier (they had every right to complain about an atrocious call). Our team was not ready at the start, but this team of refs was not ready for this game AT ALL. I don’t think we win, but the teams (and fans) get the game they deserve if the refs don’t make it about the officiating.

We came out strong in the 2nd half and cut it to 10 again which would have been 5 or 6 points and put them on their heels and made for a good game.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

4Diffs wrote: 4 years ago Oh and that Ref, James Breeding is the same ref we had at the WV game at the Mohegan who was terrible in that game, and also in this one. As soon as I saw his face, I had flashbacks to yelling at him constantly at that game and honestly thought it was one of the worst refereed games I had ever witnessed. He called a T on Cox in that game, and another on Harris because he had the audacity to look at him. And last night again with the real quick tech whistles on both Cox and Grant. Google him, he sucks and is a crap ref. I cannot stand when the Refs think they are part of the show, and they are beyond being questioned when bone headed calls are made, but that is this dude in spades. He is like a bad cop, they will let you know that they have all the power. I hope to never see his face again ever reffing a URI game.
I didn't know that was the same ref and all of a sudden last night makes more sense. That West Virginia game was hands down the worst refereed game I've ever been in the building for. It was so bad that by the second half I was even yelling about the foul calls we were getting
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

trying to think of any other time we've come out so "deer in the headlights". the only game i can come up with is vs UNC in the second round of the tournament (was that 1999?). hard to say what it means or how we will react. we've obviously had some bad games over the years, but not this uptight or with this talented a team. i think we will learn a lot on saturday. i'm sure the team could use a confidence boost. st. joes is not a game where we say just win and nothing else matters. i really think we need to stomp them and regain some of that mojo going into a week long respite.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....I guess I gotta go there again, and be that guy; bad officiating, bad calls, bad timing of calls, etc etc,,,,,,,for me all part of the game, I get it; but to suggest officials in general or specific are terrible human beings, and hatred for officials, and wishing personal tragedy upon officials during games is something I will continue to call out for what it is, inappropriate and not OK......not looking for debate, just wanted to have my say.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago trying to think of any other time we've come out so "deer in the headlights". the only game i can come up with is vs UNC in the second round of the tournament (was that 1999?). hard to say what it means or how we will react. we've obviously had some bad games over the years, but not this uptight or with this talented a team. i think we will learn a lot on saturday. i'm sure the team could use a confidence boost. st. joes is not a game where we say just win and nothing else matters. i really think we need to stomp them and regain some of that mojo going into a week long respite.

UNC stomped a mudhole in us that day 112-67
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That’s a heck of a pre game dunk by Jacob Toppin !!
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

mstyles22 wrote: 4 years ago Haven't really posted all season but because I'm a superstitious weirdo, I didn't want to during our win streak. Well now that's over and here I am.

A few observations from last nights game...

- That was your classic "this is a Top-10 team, so you need to withstand the early barrage" type game. And Rhody clearly did not. In those moments when the refs allow the super physical play early, you can't settle for contested jumpers. I thought Fatts or Jeff should've tried to get to the rim more in those first few possessions. At least try to draw contact and slow things down. Get them on their heels. Instead 3-minutes in the game was essentially over.

- I'm very puzzled by some of the takes on here. Specifically the Harris and the "don't complain about the refs" takes. This isn't professional sports. Harris is a student athlete who is playing his ass off for us. Has he played as well as we hoped he would when he signed? No, and no one is arguing that he has. But I find the agenda of shitting on the kid every other post fascinatingly strange. He's not a pro athlete under performing on a big contract, but you're acting like he is. Like there's an entitlement behind it. Quite frankly it's weird.

And as far as taking issue with those complaining about the refs...what is your angle? That everyone should shut up and accept the loss? It was a very poorly officiated game that featured 7 T's and tons of inconsistent calls. You don't look at the individual calls in a vacuum. You look at how those calls effect the game. There were missed travels all over, including one of Martin, one on CL and one on the Toppin windmill. The sequence at the end of the 1st half with the rabbit eared official was bad. And the guy who jumped on Fatts for no reason pissed me off too. The game had zero flow and that is on the officials.

- I haven't heard anyone mention how Rhody handled Dayton when they took it to the hoop. I felt that there were at least a half dozen instances where a change could've been easily drawn but we sidestepped instead. And that's not me accusing our guys of avoiding a charge, it just looked like there was a conscious effort to keep play in front of them and avoid easy alley-oops or lobs to Toppin.

- Speaking of Obie, that's the best player I've seen in the A-10 since David West.

- One minor complaint I've had all season is: Fatts is so good at breaking down his man and getting to the hoop. I wonder why they don't run more alleyoop attempts to our Toppin off those kinds of plays. Now I know you can't make a living doing that, but I feel like it would be there at least twice a game.

- Not that this has anything to do with last nights game, but I'm terrified about that Davidson game. I know we defend the 3 well and that's how they make a living, but for whatever reason I don't feel great about it.

Go Rhody!
Good post. In the Davidson game at the Ryan Center our defense got better as the game went on and our rookies figured out Davidson's offense. So unless they have gotten even better at running their offense we should be ok.
4Diffs
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 4Diffs »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago
4Diffs wrote: 4 years ago Oh and that Ref, James Breeding is the same ref we had at the WV game at the Mohegan who was terrible in that game, and also in this one. As soon as I saw his face, I had flashbacks to yelling at him constantly at that game and honestly thought it was one of the worst refereed games I had ever witnessed. He called a T on Cox in that game, and another on Harris because he had the audacity to look at him. And last night again with the real quick tech whistles on both Cox and Grant. Google him, he sucks and is a crap ref. I cannot stand when the Refs think they are part of the show, and they are beyond being questioned when bone headed calls are made, but that is this dude in spades. He is like a bad cop, they will let you know that they have all the power. I hope to never see his face again ever reffing a URI game.
I didn't know that was the same ref and all of a sudden last night makes more sense. That West Virginia game was hands down the worst refereed game I've ever been in the building for. It was so bad that by the second half I was even yelling about the foul calls we were getting
Exactly, he is just a plain bad ref, I am not saying he is biased against Rhody but I like to watch a basketball game, not a foul shooting contest, and with him, it is always the latter. And it is really hard on the players as they are used to playing a certain way all year, and then you get this guy and his unbelievable quick whistle. It is really hard to play that way. Check out the link below for another game he was involved in (with another ref from last night Tim Clougherty) which had nine technicals, 49 total fouls, 85 free throws, 3 ejections and four foul outs. Oh and the game was only a Big East semi final game. Yes he did the final four last year, so somebody thinks he is good, but I think he is a downright awful ref.

https://www.si.com/college/2019/04/01/c ... tournament
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago What I will not do: blame officials for my team losing a game in which we trailed 17-0; claim the officials are biased against my team with no substantiation; claim the game is fixed or that referees bet on the game; make physical threats of violence against officials, even as a joke (admittedly working on this one).

What I will do, happily, all the time: call out shitty officiating that hurts my team; acknowledge that most refs are terrible human beings.

Ok what if I agree with your post but routinely go against points 2, and 3-5.

Asking for a friend.

Me. I’m the friend.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

wpbrown8267 wrote: 4 years ago
RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago trying to think of any other time we've come out so "deer in the headlights". the only game i can come up with is vs UNC in the second round of the tournament (was that 1999?). hard to say what it means or how we will react. we've obviously had some bad games over the years, but not this uptight or with this talented a team. i think we will learn a lot on saturday. i'm sure the team could use a confidence boost. st. joes is not a game where we say just win and nothing else matters. i really think we need to stomp them and regain some of that mojo going into a week long respite.

That game was not as close as the score would indicate. Problem was, our guys psyched themselves out — whoever represented us in a pre-game presser said when the players filled out their brackets admitted they all picked North Carolina.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago
wpbrown8267 wrote: 4 years ago

That game was not as close as the score would indicate. Problem was, our guys psyched themselves out — whoever represented us in a pre-game presser said when the players filled out their brackets admitted they all picked North Carolina.

in the immortal words of warner wolfe...if you had Rhode Island and 44 points...You Lost!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....wow, a Warner Wolf reference, one of my all time NY favs........thx
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
adam914 wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago

I'm pretty sure they also said that Jacob had grown 3 inches since January. That's pretty impressive, 3 inches in 2 weeks...
I was just about to ask if anybody else heard this. By the St. Joe's game he might be 7 feet!
And if this growth spurt continues, if my calculations are correct, by the beginning of next season, he'll be 11'2". He'll definitely start if this happens.
I heard the growth spurt stats as well. He probably won't have to get to 11'.
Pretty sure he'll only have to get to about 7' to start. #growthspurt #couldhappenthisweek
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 years ago

It’s going to be great to watch him develop even more this season and into the next.

How can I get this ram emoji on iPhone ?

I type ram and I get a sheep
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

DeanDome88 wrote: 4 years ago
mstyles22 wrote: 4 years ago Haven't really posted all season but because I'm a superstitious weirdo, I didn't want to during our win streak. Well now that's over and here I am.

A few observations from last nights game...

- That was your classic "this is a Top-10 team, so you need to withstand the early barrage" type game. And Rhody clearly did not. In those moments when the refs allow the super physical play early, you can't settle for contested jumpers. I thought Fatts or Jeff should've tried to get to the rim more in those first few possessions. At least try to draw contact and slow things down. Get them on their heels. Instead 3-minutes in the game was essentially over.

- I'm very puzzled by some of the takes on here. Specifically the Harris and the "don't complain about the refs" takes. This isn't professional sports. Harris is a student athlete who is playing his ass off for us. Has he played as well as we hoped he would when he signed? No, and no one is arguing that he has. But I find the agenda of shitting on the kid every other post fascinatingly strange. He's not a pro athlete under performing on a big contract, but you're acting like he is. Like there's an entitlement behind it. Quite frankly it's weird.

And as far as taking issue with those complaining about the refs...what is your angle? That everyone should shut up and accept the loss? It was a very poorly officiated game that featured 7 T's and tons of inconsistent calls. You don't look at the individual calls in a vacuum. You look at how those calls effect the game. There were missed travels all over, including one of Martin, one on CL and one on the Toppin windmill. The sequence at the end of the 1st half with the rabbit eared official was bad. And the guy who jumped on Fatts for no reason pissed me off too. The game had zero flow and that is on the officials.

- I haven't heard anyone mention how Rhody handled Dayton when they took it to the hoop. I felt that there were at least a half dozen instances where a change could've been easily drawn but we sidestepped instead. And that's not me accusing our guys of avoiding a charge, it just looked like there was a conscious effort to keep play in front of them and avoid easy alley-oops or lobs to Toppin.

- Speaking of Obie, that's the best player I've seen in the A-10 since David West.

- One minor complaint I've had all season is: Fatts is so good at breaking down his man and getting to the hoop. I wonder why they don't run more alleyoop attempts to our Toppin off those kinds of plays. Now I know you can't make a living doing that, but I feel like it would be there at least twice a game.

- Not that this has anything to do with last nights game, but I'm terrified about that Davidson game. I know we defend the 3 well and that's how they make a living, but for whatever reason I don't feel great about it.

Go Rhody!
Good post. In the Davidson game at the Ryan Center our defense got better as the game went on and our rookies figured out Davidson's offense. So unless they have gotten even better at running their offense we should be ok.
I agree, really apprehensive about this game at Davidson. Guessing pretty much a pick em on this one.
As I recall their fresman Lee from South Korea did not play in the game at the Ryan. He is a deadly 3 pt shooter and gives them another option when he is in.

Also a weird starting time at 530 pm.

For those not seeing my ticket exchange post , I have 2 tickets -no charge for this game. I will be there with my son.
cCheck out Allegiant. I think there r flights out of Providence to Myrtle beach and then a three hr ride . Could be a $39 ish type of fare

Charlotte is 20 -30 minutes from Davidson. 45 min Winston Salem.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 years ago

When you click on the globe icon to get the emojis, scroll over to the “teddy bear” icon thing where all of the “animals and nature” ones are. Ram is top one in 6th column. Sheepy is right below the Ram! 🐏 🐑
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Thx but was looking for the one in Mrs
Toppin’s tweet - the more cartoon one
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

ElmCityRhody wrote: 4 years ago Thx but was looking for the one in Mrs
Toppin’s tweet - the more cartoon one
Ahhh... well I can solve that one for you too. That’s the neon text filter on Instagram.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Darn - not on Instagram
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I think it can see you, and it just 'makes the call'?
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

1992 vs. UMass at Keaney. Rhody was 12-1 and on an 8 game winning streak. This was when UMass was starting to be good in Calipari’s time there. You could tell from the warmups they were tight. UMass pretty much came out on fire and it had a large lead between 15 and 20 most of the game. Rhody made a run late to cut it to around 7(?) and ultimately lost by 13. They then won 6 of the next 8 and we’re 18-4 with 5 games to play. Unfortunately they lost 4 of those then 1-1 in the A10 costing a bid. They then went onto beat Vanderbilt and that great bc game in double ot before falling at Utah.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago
DFF: Langevine is shooting 47.7 percent from the field, much lower than the last two years.
Yes, he is shooting 48% this year vs. 57% last year...agree to disagree...they still should have been feeding him more, otherwise, if they are not going to feed him, then put in somebody else who they will feed
daytonflyerfan
Jimmy Baron

And I still do not understand not pressing or trapping in the 2nd half either, they just gave up, they made no effort to turn up the defensive intensity and try to turn defense into offense and actually try to win the game...I was just not impressed with the 2nd half coaching.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yes, he is shooting 48% this year vs. 57% last year...agree to disagree...they still should have been feeding him more, otherwise, if they are not going to feed him, then put in somebody else who they will feed
We haven’t looked to feed Harris or Langevine most all year. Dowtin threw a nice lob pass to Langevine for an easy bucket last night but passes like that are not made very often. I don’t know why we don’t pass inside more but we just don’t. So no surprise last night.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
We haven’t looked to feed Harris or Langevine most all year. Dowtin threw a nice lob pass to Langevine for an easy bucket last night but passes like that are not made very often. I don’t know why we don’t pass inside more but we just don’t. So no surprise last night.
Because our bigs aren’t the prototypical BIGs. Neither are good at having their backs to the basket. Cyril seemingly has one move...the bull in a china shop, shoulder dropping charge to the basket.

Jermaine just isn’t aggressive enough.

Neither of them do well with the ball on the block. The staff therefore tries to get them buckets off of pick and rolls.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago

Because our bigs aren’t the prototypical BIGs. Neither are good at having their backs to the basket. Cyril seemingly has one move...the bull in a china shop, shoulder dropping charge to the basket.

Jermaine just isn’t aggressive enough.

Neither of them do well with the ball on the block. The staff therefore tries to get them buckets off of pick and rolls.
Agree with this it’s hard for Cyril to score when he catches it with back to basket when he is guarded by a guy his size

He gets most of his offense on put backs and guards driving and dishing to him for a slam
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago

I think it can see you, and it just 'makes the call'?

funny cas this pretty much describes me - so i think you are onto something ....

Reality: Sheep are actually surprisingly intelligent, with impressive memory and recognition skills. They build friendships, stick up for one another in fights, and feel sad when their friends are sent to slaughter. They are also one of the most destructive creatures on the planet. Intelligent
UD90
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by UD90 »

I waited a few days to post. From a Dayton perspective a few thoughts.
1.) The 17-0 run to start the game was the second best run I've seen out of Dayton since our 22-0 run on VCU in the second half of that game. They looked as dialed in as I've seen since November/December.
2.) The officiating was terrible both ways. 52 fouls 7 technicals eliminated any flow for either team beyond the initial run for the rest of the game. Painful to watch.
3.) URI is still the best A10 opponent we've faced and I expect them to be 15-2 when we play again.
4.) This is a special year in Dayton and clearly Obi is worth an additional 6-8 wins for this team. Heard Jacob grew 3 inches already this year. His frame is similar to Obi's when Obi arrived on campus. Jacob will terrorize the A10 over the next 2-3 years. Toppins are good people.
6.) I still think the game in Kingston is the most dangerous left on the schedule for us. I expect it to be the battle we expected for this one provided the zebras let the boys play.
7.) Good luck the rest of the way. Let's make some noise in the NCAAs.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Congrats UD90 you got a heck of a team there good luck the rest of the way
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Gotta say, unlike some other team's fans, the Dayton fans that find their way to KB are some of the finest. You guys really do your fan base justice. Respectful, stay on topic, bring good info and talking points. Thank you for your contributions.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Running Ram wrote: 4 years ago Gotta say, unlike some other team's fans, the Dayton fans that find their way to KB are some of the finest. You guys really do your fan base justice. Respectful, stay on topic, bring good info and talking points. Thank you for your contributions.
Can’t agree more. On this board and in person. They are always collegial and good sports.
UD90
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by UD90 »

Thank you for the compliments. I have to say my best experiences have been engaging with URI and VCU boards. Actually, I often find myself arguing more with fellow Dayton fans on our boards more than opponents. It is fun to have discussions with fans who aren't drinking the Dayton red and blue kool aid (even though the kool aid is pretty damn good this year).

The Blackburn Review did an interview with Scott Van Pelt that was awesome. It was awesome not because it was about Dayton, but because it was about enjoying the moments this great sport brings to us. The reality is that we probably won't see an A10 team win the national championship in our lifetime. It is fun to hope it happens though. The 2014 Elite 8 run was the celing for Dayton since I graduated in 1990. After listening to this podcast and reflecting on all the things that fell into place for that Elite 8 run I realized that is what makes the tournament so great. Teams like Dayton, Rhode Island, VCU, and SLU have the facilities, fan support, and programs to make some noise in the tournament more often than not. The reality of it is that "making some noise" means making it to the second weekend.

Sure it is possible that one of the top teams from the A10 could make the final four or possibly win the whole thing in a year like this, but it is just as possible that we lose in the second round.

So with that being said ... Here is a great interview where Scott Van Pelt puts everything in perspective. Enjoy the moment and I'll be pulling for my Flyers and every other A10 team in the hunt when they aren't playing us. The only A10 team I never would root for and never will root for is _avier. :)

https://soundcloud.com/blackburn-review ... -sully-svp
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

If theres a year where the A-10 can get a national title it's this year...
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

UD90 I think Dayton has an equal chance as any team this year to win the Championship . Of course there are probably 6-8 teams in that boat and
it can be said that it is less than a 40% chance in each team's case that they will win the Tournament . Not a bad spot to be in though, huh ? All Dayton
has to do to win iis to play consistent Dayton basketball each game and shoot the ball as well as they have all season . After the first two games they
will be unable to afford an off night shooting , a lack of defensive intensity or a lack of focus taking care of the ball . Avoid any of that and I give them
even money to win it all .
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Exactly, he is just a plain bad ref, I am not saying he is biased against Rhody but I like to watch a basketball game, not a foul shooting contest, and with him, it is always the latter. And it is really hard on the players as they are used to playing a certain way all year, and then you get this guy and his unbelievable quick whistle. It is really hard to play that way. Check out the link below for another game he was involved in (with another ref from last night Tim Clougherty) which had nine technicals, 49 total fouls, 85 free throws, 3 ejections and four foul outs. Oh and the game was only a Big East semi final game. Yes he did the final four last year, so somebody thinks he is good, but I think he is a downright awful ref.

PC Seton Hall Game tonight had 5 Technical Fouls. James Breeding called all 5. Comments from PC Board attached below.
Many complaints about the officiating and in particular the same James Breeding from our Dayton game

I’m not one to complain about officiating. By the end of the season the calls all balance out in my opinion

But every now and then some poor performing official pops up. I remember many times shaking my head in amazement with the horrible calls that Tim Higgins used to make, and he was around for a long time to my chagrin and astonishment. All Eastern Schools used to complain about Higgins.

The ball out of bounds prior to halftime in Dayton Game that has been mentioned here was a terrible call. Don’t know honestly how anybody could miss this one. Obviously someone on our bench was equally incredulous about the bad call. The Technical foul was a bad call. Brings to mind the old saying “2 wrongs don’t make a right”. Can’t imagine how the other 2 officials didn’t reverse it or at least discuss it.

NCAA needs to look into this official, James Breeding, and the group of officials he works with.

Refs should be rating one another, so I wonder how My Breeding is “performing” in the peer ratings system.

Videos of that bad “ball out of bounds” call should clearly show the Head of officials that obviously the wrong call was made.

PC Thread on Officials for Seton Hall Game - yes Officiating by Breeding earned its own thread :roll: :roll:
https://247sports.com/college/providenc ... 143873490/
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

James Breeding should never ref another game again
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Breeding is a Big East Official

And the guy who called this famous foul

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sp ... uy-referee
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

PC Seton Hall Game tonight had 5 Technical Fouls. James Breeding called all 5. Comments from PC Board attached below.
Many complaints about the officiating and in particular the same James Breeding from our Dayton game

I’m not one to complain about officiating. By the end of the season the calls all balance out in my opinion

But every now and then some poor performing official pops up. I remember many times shaking my head in amazement with the horrible calls that Tim Higgins used to make, and he was around for a long time to my chagrin and astonishment. All Eastern Schools used to complain about Higgins.

The ball out of bounds prior to halftime in Dayton Game that has been mentioned here was a terrible call. Don’t know honestly how anybody could miss this one. Obviously someone on our bench was equally incredulous about the bad call. The Technical foul was a bad call. Brings to mind the old saying “2 wrongs don’t make a right”. Can’t imagine how the other 2 officials didn’t reverse it or at least discuss it.

NCAA needs to look into this official, James Breeding, and the group of officials he works with.

Refs should be rating one another, so I wonder how My Breeding is “performing” in the peer ratings system.

Videos of that bad “ball out of bounds” call should clearly show the Head of officials that obviously the wrong call was made.

PC Thread on Officials for Seton Hall Game - yes Officiating by Breeding earned its own thread :roll: :roll:
https://247sports.com/college/providenc ... 143873490/
Funny, we were just discussing the Temple game in Keaney in '88 when Macon was a freshman. Tim Higgins officiated that game. IIRC correctly, he called 2 early fouls on Tommy Garrick which totally changed the game.