Asst. Coach Posting?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Re: Asst. Coach Posting?

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

CamsRams wrote: 4 years ago Any chance it’s Bob Walsh?
No. They've passed on Walsh, Wheeler and Skinner.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago
RAM67 wrote: 4 years ago A lifetime pension?
An accountant, banker, or financial advisor, I am not, but isn't the intent of a pension to make payments for a ... lifetime?
Unless you take the lump sum, aren't all pensions "lifetime"?
I guess you had to have grown up in Providence to see the humor in this.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RAM67 wrote: 4 years ago
RAM67 wrote: 4 years ago A lifetime pension?
An accountant, banker, or financial advisor, I am not, but isn't the intent of a pension to make payments for a ... lifetime?
Unless you take the lump sum, aren't all pensions "lifetime"?
I guess you had to have grown up in Providence to see the humor in this.
Unfortunately, I did not, but would be interested in the background over a brew sometime
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

14 pages. can we just please get an asst coach!
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

We did get one hire within the 14 pages - TJ :D
The players have started to arrive back on campus. They will all be back this weekend.
Should have a new coach for them by then.
“We will be good when we are good.”
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

theblueram wrote: 4 years ago What's a pension?
...asked the private sector worker ;)
Even better, what's employer sponsored healthcare?

Regretting not trying to not get a state or muni job when I graduated. :lol:
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Any rumored candidates?
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I don't know if T.J. Sorrentine is in the mix, or if he is even interested, but I think he'd be a great addition. Although it could get a little confusing......" Hey, T.J.".
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

My guess is they want someone with D1 major or high mid-major recruiting experience. So Sorrentine wouldn’t fit.
If they are passing on Bob Walsh, they aren’t hiring Sorrentine.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Thought this was interesting and highlights the differences in resources between some programs, being able to keep spare guys with head coaching experience around in addition to the recruiting assistants:

Nikola Knezevic worked as PC’s associate director of player development and video operations for the last several years. Walsh is replacing him but will be asked to assist in other duties as well. Creighton, Marquette and Xavier are among the many programs around the country that have former Division One head coaches working in non-recruiting positions.
Last edited by ace 4 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

ace wrote: 4 years ago
Grrr
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

WTF!
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Too bad we cant get Luke Murray back. Seems to be making a good name for himself out there.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

So, according to Iggy, we passed on Walsh and now he's at PC. What the hell is going on here?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Walsh will not be an assistant coach at PC. They already have three assistants. He will not be able to participate in practices or recruiting. I guess he can help with scouting. He is replacing the associate director of player development and video operations.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Seems like Walsh is better qualified then associate director of basketball operations. Wth
GO RAMS
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Seems like Walsh is better qualified then associate director of basketball operations. Wth
I imagine he’ll get some title like Special Assistant to the Head Coach, especially since the article mentioned schools like Xavier and Creighton (Judson, Merfeld). They each have a former D1 head coach in that role, and it’s a tremendous luxury to a staff to have an extra guy like that.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ace wrote: 4 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Seems like Walsh is better qualified then associate director of basketball operations. Wth
I imagine he’ll get some title like Special Assistant to the Head Coach, especially since the article mentioned schools like Xavier and Creighton (Judson, Merfeld). They each have a former D1 head coach in that role, and it’s a tremendous luxury to a staff to have an extra guy like that.
These schools have the money to afford the special assistant role either in their MBB budget or donor money. Again, these positions aren’t allowed to coach the players or recruit. Consultants to the HC. Can step on the Assistant Coaches doing the scouts.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Perhaps they’re hiring Williams for a sign and trade with UMass to get Wheeler.

I’m sure that’s totally legit.

(hi RR02!)
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Not to make anyone upset, but I don’t get all the fuss about Bob Walsh, honestly.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago Too bad we cant get Luke Murray back. Seems to be making a good name for himself out there.
That will never happen. URI could never afford him again. Rhody pays its assistants peanuts. The only way that URI will ever have a Murray, Skerry, Murphy, etc... is when they are young and have little experience (and will soon be gone after a few years). Highly sought after good experienced assistants are never going to come here.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago
phipsiGD'11 wrote: 4 years ago Too bad we cant get Luke Murray back. Seems to be making a good name for himself out there.
That will never happen. URI could never afford him again. Rhody pays its assistants peanuts. The only way that URI will ever have a Murray, Skerry, Murphy, etc... is when they are young and have little experience (and will soon be gone after a few years). Highly sought after good experienced assistants are never going to come here.
I agree about not competing with the P5 + BE on assistant compensation. Saying it is peanuts might be a slight exaggeration. Cox was paid well as an assistant and Sutton is paid well now. Boswell at $145,000 for his experience wasn’t peanuts. Hopefully if URI increases is MBB revenue, the assistant compensation pool will grow. I know Coach Cox will fight for that as he gets negotiating leverage.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Not to make anyone upset, but I don’t get all the fuss about Bob Walsh, honestly.
+1000000000
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
RF1 wrote: 4 years ago
I agree about not competing with the P5 + BE on assistant compensation. Saying it is peanuts might be a slight exaggeration. Cox was paid well as an assistant and Sutton is paid well now. Boswell at $145,000 for his experience wasn’t peanuts. Hopefully if URI increases is MBB revenue, the assistant compensation pool will grow. I know Coach Cox will fight for that as he gets negotiating leverage.
They really weren’t/aren’t paid well comparatively speaking from whence they came.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Not to make anyone upset, but I don’t get all the fuss about Bob Walsh, honestly.
Walsh is seen as a respected person and someone with high basketball IQ and strong coaching acumen. He did a fantastic job at RIC, going to 8 tournaments in 9 years after the school went to 3 in the previous 35. He should have never taken on the Maine job as Maine has been a death-trap and very challenging to recruit for basketball. Last year he spent time at IMG Academy working with elite high school prospects, and was on the staff for the Pan-Am Games with Coach Cooley. I don’t know how I would feel about him if you needed a strong recruiter on a staff (although he certainly has some connections), but as an X’s and O’s guy he’s definitely strong there.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago
Walsh is seen as a respected person and someone with high basketball IQ and strong coaching acumen. He did a fantastic job at RIC, going to 8 tournaments in 9 years after the school went to 3 in the previous 35. He should have never taken on the Maine job as Maine has been a death-trap and very challenging to recruit for basketball. Last year he spent time at IMG Academy working with elite high school prospects, and was on the staff for the Pan-Am Games with Coach Cooley. I don’t know how I would feel about him if you needed a strong recruiter on a staff (although he certainly has some connections), but as an X’s and O’s guy he’s definitely strong there.
If he took a similar post at URI I would be thrilled.
Slava Ukraini!
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

He expressed interest in the open position but there was none on URI's part. It's obvious that both Hurley and Cox have little or no interest in hiring coaches with local ties (TJ excluded because he played for them). Hey, it's their program and they have a right to fill it with whom they so choose.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Can't wait to meet the new coach who has a better resume than Walsh and Wheeler!
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Well, it's the end of another week.....
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

How many interviews have been conducted???
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Here’s to hoping the week goes until Sunday and something leaks by then.

First day of practice is Sept 24th. Rhody should have a full staff by then 😜
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

reef wrote: 4 years ago How many interviews have been conducted???
Too many.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Interesting to note in the Job Posting for this job was a contract thru April 30, 2020. So was the assistant job that TJ was hired for. They are lining up all of the staffs’ contracts for April 30th expirations.
Renewals tend to be a given as long as the Head Coach doesn’t get fired or leaves. More recently we are seeing an increase in assistants being let go when the HC is retained. That makes the current job opening guaranteed for 8 months. Not a positive.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago Interesting to note in the Job Posting for this job was a contract thru April 30, 2020. So was the assistant job that TJ was hired for. They are lining up all of the staffs’ contracts for April 30th expirations.
Renewals tend to be a given as long as the Head Coach doesn’t get fired or leaves. More recently we are seeing an increase in assistants being let go when the HC is retained. That makes the current job opening guaranteed for 8 months. Not a positive.
Recruiting hasn't been on fire, so there's that.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

They can't have a contract go past the state's FY
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 years ago They can't have a contract go past the state's FY
Did the state change it’s fiscal year end? Boswell’s and Carroll’s contracts expired May 31st.

Edit: from ri.gov
Fiscal Year (FY): A twelve-month state accounting period, which varies from a calendar year and federal fiscal year. The fiscal year for Rhode Island State government begins on July 1 and ends on June 30.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Hearing Carroll might be given an administrative job and they've interviewed his son for the coaching job
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Carroll’s son is DOBO at Arizona. Was somewhat promoted when Book Richardson got in trouble. He also played for Cox at Rutgers for a couple seasons. I don’t know if he’s a finalist, but we should all know something soon.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Austin Carroll no longer listed on Arizona site
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

What experience does he have? I thought 2 years minimum was the requirement?
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Doesn’t seem to meet the requirements:
https://arizonawildcats.com/coaches.aspx?rc=394
Slava Ukraini!
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

His son could really shoot the ball.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Rhody74 wrote: 4 years ago Doesn’t seem to meet the requirements:
https://arizonawildcats.com/coaches.aspx?rc=394
Prob depends on what they consider 2 years of experience to be.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

a second year head coach with two twenty-something first-time assistants would be quite the bold move
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Ugh we're totally going to screw this hire up aren't we...
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago Ugh we're totally going to screw this hire up aren't we...
That's what happens late in the process. Not a lot of candidates out there.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

ace wrote: 4 years ago a second year head coach with two twenty-something first-time assistants would be quite the bold move
I agree - but I think it is a better move than getting a guy with “experience” just for the sake of experience. I would rather we identify young coaching talent and role with it then bring in guys who have tried and failed. I have no doubt that coach cox can teach a guy to be a good assistant, he was one of the best assistants in the game.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago Ugh we're totally going to screw this hire up aren't we...
I’m withholding judgement until we know who is being hired.
Slava Ukraini!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Told Austin Carroll has been in Kingston for awhile.