2014-15 Schedule

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Re: 2014-15 Schedule

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

RF1 wrote:The Friar board is having the same discussion. Some clown there is suggesting it is weak that URI will play at Brown but not at Bryant in an even home and home. He however seems to have no issue with the Friars playing neither school at their gyms.

PC fans don't seem to want a RI tournament very much either. Some however are suggesting a New England tournament with most excluding URI (PC, BC, UMass, UConn).
UConn would never do it.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

PC BC UMASS AND UCONN?!

That is horrid, luckily we have a conference, a schedule, and have the chance to write our own ticket every year.

Look at the crowds for UMASS and BC at the dunk and tell me PC fans care more about those teams. They're a bunch of trolls.

UCONN really got lucky and won a title on their last gasp. Their conference affiliation, the price of football, and the gaming industry are going to change their future big time. If they aren't in the ACC within 10 years they could have problems. Especially if Ollie takes a pro job, which is likely, NBA teams cycle through coaches regularly.

That was the post of the year for me "...couldn't hold the members of this board..."
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Harrick had no problems bringing in Odom, Bell, Marbury,
Womack, Vinson,and Woodward. All top 100 players.
Lamar was number one.
Too bad Only Lamar and Bell played for him, and the rest had
Jerry The Clown roll out a ball in lieu of coaching.
And we won't talk about the class that could have been, had
Harrick not left.
So, "you can't recruit to Rhode Island" is bogus. You can't recruit,
if you think you can't.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

"PC fans don't seem to want a RI tournament very much either. Some however are suggesting a New England tournament with most excluding URI (PC, BC, UMass, UConn)."

This is probably because they think they're the only "legitimate" team in RI. The unofficial state school, the state's pro team and all that shit.
Last edited by ramfan85 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Good luck getting BC and UConn in the same event
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Dave Gavitt ain't walking thru that door.

That tourney has ZERO chance of happening. 4 teams or 8.

Typical PC, like they think are the only D1 school in the state.

UConn's future, for their sake, had better be in the ACC.

AAC stands for Absolutely Awful Crap. For basketball AND football.

We think we're the worst in mid level football? How about UConn losing to [previously 0-11] SMU last Saturday? That makes them the WORST in so called big time football.

They've fallen, and they can't get up. Luckily for them, they still have Auriemma and the women for basketball.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:They've fallen, and they can't get up. Luckily for them, they still have Auriemma and the women for basketball.
And a national championship in men's basketball currently on their mantle. That would help me sleep better.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

TP. I was referring to the football program.

Yes, [multiple] national champs is nothing to sneeze at.

I do think that it's going to get tougher for them to succeed in the long run, if they stay in the AAC.

They've never really gotten nearly as many McD's AA's as programs like Duke, Kentucky, etc.

They've won their titles largely on great coaching, Calhoun and now Ollie.

Calhoun especially, how many NBA players did he help develop, that weren't that highly regarded out of high school?

Personally the guy's an ass, like Geno, but you sure can't knock their coaching prowess.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

TruePoint wrote:Good luck getting BC and UConn in the same event
They played in the same event last year and they ended up playing each other at MSG. Calhoun is gone in hoops. So is Skinner. Both ADs and football coaches are gone from when they broke off from the Big East. I think all the big New England teams should play each other. No reason not to. They are the games that generate the most buzz on all the campuses before conference play begins.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

UMASS brings nothing to that tourney
It would be much better with BC v UCONN/PC v URI on day one
winners next day after losers open up
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Gonebarongone wrote:
TruePoint wrote:Good luck getting BC and UConn in the same event
They played in the same event last year and they ended up playing each other at MSG. Calhoun is gone in hoops. So is Skinner. Both ADs and football coaches are gone from when they broke off from the Big East. I think all the big New England teams should play each other. No reason not to. They are the games that generate the most buzz on all the campuses before conference play begins.
That was in a 12 team field for a one year commitment. I think getting the two of them to headline an annual tournament where they'd presumably both be on the tournament committee would be a different animal.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

seanmc94 wrote:UMASS brings nothing to that tourney
It would be much better with BC v UCONN/PC v URI on day one
winners next day after losers open up
In theory I love this idea, but I wouldnt want to lose the URI/PC games at each home court every year. Those games need to continue in my opinion and would be a real shame to lose that atmosphere for the game every year.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Reading the comments here I decided to visit to the Friars board to read their opinions on this subject. As no surprise given that board's lack of in depth knowledge outside their narrow PC colored prism, I found one dude who mentioned that a tournament like the proposed RI one was held in North Carolina, but he was incorrect when he said it was a four team tournament of North Carolina teams. What he was inaccurately referring to was the Dixie Classic which was held from 1949 to 1960, a brainchild of NC State coach Everett Case and held in the NC State's old home, Reynolds Coliseum each year after Christmas. The tournament was an 8 team field pitting in the first round the four NC schools against top national teams from across the country. URI had the honor of being invited to the first two tournaments. In the first year, URI lost the 1949 opening contest to the eventual winner, NC State, 87-61. URI then beat Wake Forest, 61-57, and North Carolina in OT, 65-60. In 1950, URI again lost the opening game to Wake Forest, 57-53, and then lost to Tulane, 81-62 before salvaging a third round win against UNC, 93-69.

The Dixie Classic was huge success and is still remembered to this day. In fact, a book published in 2011, called The Classic, tells the story of this very important event in college basketball. If RI is interested in holding a tournament, it would be a solid idea to pattern it after the Dixie Classic. It would have a New England theme, held in Providence and co-hosted by URI and PC with two other NE schools on a rotating basis and these four schools would be paired versus four top teams from the West, Midwest, South and East. For example if held this year, URI and PC would be joined by UConn and UMass for the NE representation, with Gonzaga, Wisconsin, Virginia, and St. John's representing the rest of country. This tournament would not replace the annual PC/URI game. Just a thought.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Wow delivering some info!

I think the first proposed 4 of BC PC UMASS and Uconn would struggle.

Nobody cares about those Massachusetts teams. Didn't somebody say they played a tourney there this year and the biggest draw was BU???

Then the reality is nationally ppl only tune in for Uconn. That is until big Ed can get the Ledo's, Dunn's, and whoever else on the court at the same time. Further Uconn faces an uphill climb every year nationally with what has transpired with their program. Not to discount their titles!!!!we would settle for a bid!
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

I would bet a million $$$$ that fewer than 5 people on this board have ever heard about the dixie classic. Sorry people dont remember a tournament from 50 years ago
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:PC BC UMASS AND UCONN?!

That is horrid, luckily we have a conference, a schedule, and have the chance to write our own ticket every year.

Look at the crowds for UMASS and BC at the dunk and tell me PC fans care more about those teams. They're a bunch of trolls.

UCONN really got lucky and won a title on their last gasp. Their conference affiliation, the price of football, and the gaming industry are going to change their future big time. If they aren't in the ACC within 10 years they could have problems. Especially if Ollie takes a pro job, which is likely, NBA teams cycle through coaches regularly.

That was the post of the year for me "...couldn't hold the members of this board..."

Yea Uconn got real lucky to win six games in a row beating the likes of Mich St and Kentucky on the way. I hate UConn as much as anyone but that has to be one of the most ignorant statements I think I have seen on any messageboard.

Rod like to point out the stupid statements friar fans make on their boards well Rod Ram fans make their share of idiotic statements also.

BTW do some fact checking the BC game at the dunk drew around ten thousand or more.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

UConn got lucky in the first game against St. Joes, or there wouldn't have been any title.

I talked to a few UConn fans before the tourney started. NONE of them thought UConn would get out of the second round.

Then Shabazz went nuts, their forward [name escapes me right now-Daniels?] started playing to his potential, and the rest is history.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I don't think UConn was lucky. They were good.
Give credit where it's due.
All fan bases have people who are serious fans, and all
fan bases have those who say silly things, and sometime serious thinking fans
say silly things.
What I didn't know is that we're 2-1 vs. UNC all time.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:I don't think UConn was lucky. They were good.
Give credit where it's due.
All fan bases have people who are serious fans, and all
fan bases have those who say silly things, and sometime serious thinking fans
say silly things.
What I didn't know is that we're 2-1 vs. UNC all time.
Are we talking regular season only? Because I've seen two postseason losses to North Carolina in person.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Uconn was good. They got down to st joes and the refs carried them through that game. I'm not some extreme fan that dislikes Uconn.

To not account for the fact they had some luck????give me a break they won 2 titles in a 3 year span on the backs of short scoring point guards. Kemba is clearly a superior athlete, but Napier? Stars aligned for him.

If that is a recipe for success, point out in the top 25 other teams trying to replicate that to win the title.

Me silly? I watch the games just like everybody else.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

See, TP. I've blocked out the CFL years completely!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:See, TP. I've blocked out the CFL years completely!
Probably for the best
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

What years??? :lol:

As for UConn titles, I'd give my left nut for just one before I take that dirt nap.

Don't care how it gets done. Well without cheating that is. [Not saying UConn cheated]
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

rambone 78 wrote:What years??? :lol:

As for UConn titles, I'd give my left nut for just one before I take that dirt nap.

Don't care how it gets done. Well without cheating that is. [Not saying UConn cheated]
i'd give both
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Brown should stop playing PC, just gonna bring down their RPI.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

How much did they pay for this loss to brown? Should have gotten it for free at the pitz. Better for RPI that way too.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

ATPTourFan wrote:How much did they pay for this loss to brown? Should have gotten it for free at the pitz. Better for RPI that way too.
projo says playing at brown saved about 60,000 so somewhere around there
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

BFC wrote:I was actually thinking O'Shea's comment might put an end to the board's perpetual outcry for an annual Bryant game. Obviously, I was wrong. Now, we're saying we should just bend further (or completely over) so that we may have the privelage of doing Bryant favor.
I've been an advocate of putting Bryant on the schedule in lieu of, say, Delaware State or Pace or UMass-Lowell, to cherry pick from this year's slate. However, no f-ing way would I endorse a pay game for them.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

seanmc94 wrote:I would bet a million $$$$ that fewer than 5 people on this board have ever heard about the dixie classic. Sorry people dont remember a tournament from 50 years ago
You don't need to be alive to remember it, but if you read then you'd know about it, nit….
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

SGreenwell wrote: I've been an advocate of putting Bryant on the schedule in lieu of, say, Delaware State or Pace or UMass-Lowell, to cherry pick from this year's slate. However, no f-ing way would I endorse a pay game for them.
I don't necessarily have an issue paying Bryant. I however would not offer any more money than we do to Delaware State or UMass-Lowell.
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

O'Shea said that he would rather play UConn for $80,000 than us for $40,000. I say give them the guarantee of 40 large plus a thousand tickets to sell at $20 dollars a pop that they can keep. You could even give them a hospitality suite for their big donors to watch their team get crushed. Have their fans buy some beers and hot dogs and you would have the atmosphere for a great game with a home court advantage. It would be much better than playing Akron on a Saturday afternoon to the background noise of squeaking sneakers. No way do we play them at the Chase Center, way too small.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Not a dime more than we pay anyone else.
Screw them and O'Shea's shitty attitude.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

We should not pay them.....do a home and home.....their place is small now, but......I see Machtley looking to build a larger on-campus facility for them which would be like Quinnipiac's with a surface for hockey also...
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Why are we even discussing this? F.... Bryant and their coach.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

It looks like our home game January 31st against George Washington has been moved from 2 to 4.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

BAH!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I had the same reaction. I was going to be able to go to the game and make my commitment at night. Not sure I'll be able to get out of my evening plans so it looks like I'll be missing the game now.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

probably done for TV purposes. If things fall right this could be an epic game.