CELTICS and the NBA

NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, BPL... you get it
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: CELTICS and the NBA

Unread post by ramster »

No fault with the actions of Ainge or Stevens?
I loved the draft picks of Tatum and Brown at the time but this team has a ton of room to improve and develop. This has been a lousy year.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Ainge loaded up on all kinds of draft assets but then he figured he could keep fleecing teams. Other gms finally figured him out and those assets have slowly disappeared without much to show for them.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah since the drafting of Jaylen and the Tatum Fultz trade Danny has gone downhill

He relying too much on these young draft picks and going away from solid veterans
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

reef wrote: 3 years ago Yeah since the drafting of Jaylen and the Tatum Fultz trade Danny has gone downhill

He relying too much on these young draft picks and going away from solid veterans
Solid vets like Kemba Walker and Al Horford, last seen being benched by the Sixers and thrown away to the Thunder after signing his big contract?
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

reef wrote: 3 years ago Yeah since the drafting of Jaylen and the Tatum Fultz trade Danny has gone downhill

My difficult with challenging this is that by holding onto the assets, it arguably worked in his favor.

Imagine if in the 2016 offseason, or in the 2017 trade deadline, he packaged the pick that became Jaylen Brown (or later on, the player), the pick that became Jayson Tatum, and the pick that became Collin Sextons to go get a Paul George or Kawhi Leonard. He would have paired either player with a nucleus of IT and Al Horford.

Ainge had to have known IT's hip was an issue, but even if he didn't, that would have been a "go all in" Big 3 to build around. If IT's hip didn't go, could it have challenged the Cavs in the East w/ George and Horford? Maybe, but the only way GSW was losing was a scenario like 2019 where they lost 2 of their 4 key players. And as it did turn out, IT's hip did go, and they would have had no assets to build anything at that point.

Healthy GSW was demolishing anyone out of the east those years, so going all in on a short window just didn't make sense. It was different than the Leonard/DeRozan trade in Toronto, where the Raps basically traded 2 years of DeRozan for 1 year of Leonard. C's didn't have an asset to make that type of move.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Losing Hayward for basically nothing wasn’t good at all , I was hoping we would have gotten Turner and McDermott for him which was supposedly on the table .

The signings of Thompson and Teague weren’t good at all

I love Kemba but he is on the books for 34 M for the next couple of years

Should be a big shakeup coming this off-season
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Amazing how a guy like this can get a seat this close to the court. Gross videos on twitter that show the spit in slow motion in flight and people flinching from getting hit by it.

A viral video from the Knicks’ Game 2 win over the Hawks seemingly shows Young get spit on, with fitness influencer and model Cuban Link, who was sitting courtside, also in the line of fire. The fan was banned from MSG indefinitely for spitting on Young.

The moment occurred in the fourth quarter while she was sitting in-between her boyfriend, rapper 50 Cent, and actress Julianne Moore as Young was about to inbound the ball. At that point, the Garden had been roaring with constant “f–k Trae Young” chants and cruel jokes about his hair.

“Damn… Crazy,” Young tweeted in response to the video. “@50Cent y’all good?!”

Young also tweeted, “Keep ya mask on my boy #ThatsJustChildish.”

The unidentified spitter launched a wet one toward Young over 50 Cent and his female guest, who appeared to get hit with remnants of saliva. Young shrugged his shoulders after the spit flew.

Meanwhile, Knicks star Derrick Rose appeared grossed out by the moment when cameras caught him making a dismissive face while on the bench.

https://reportrdoor.com/2021/05/27/trae ... nt-at-msg/

\
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 3 years ago Losing Hayward for basically nothing wasn’t good at all , I was hoping we would have gotten Turner and McDermott for him which was supposedly on the table .

The off season can't come too soon. Celtics look horrible tonight on their home court. Down 3 games to 1 heading back to Brooklyn.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 3 years ago Losing Hayward for basically nothing wasn’t good at all , I was hoping we would have gotten Turner and McDermott for him which was supposedly on the table .

The off season can't come too soon. Celtics look horrible tonight on their home court. Down 3 games to 1 heading back to Brooklyn.

During the game Sunday the broadcast team said Boston was 25th in the NBA in assists and that can’t make Brad Stevens happy. The Celtics look bad passing the ball, they over dribble with too much individual play. The winning teams in the playoffs so far tend to pass very well, dribble less and play very unselfishly

Celtics need to make changes in the off-season.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago Watched about 6 possessions of yesterday's game. Just not fun to watch at all these days. Seems like they could give a rat's...
Tatum with the rebound...he dribbles up court, double teamed, he gets away from one...now he dribbles from the right to the left...Tatum still has it, now he fakes inside, step back three nowhere near.... It's kind of a slowed down version of "whoever is dribbling on the break shoots it"... only it's Tatum with the rebound on the defense end, Tatum brings up and gets through traffic (most of the time) then he shoots it.

Yaaaaawwwnnnnn.......

Who'd have ever thunk the Sox would be more exciting to watch then than the Cs?
Two weeks later....lather, rinse....
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 3 years ago During the game Sunday the broadcast team said Boston was 25th in the NBA in assists and that can’t make Brad Stevens happy. The Celtics look bad passing the ball, they over dribble with too much individual play. The winning teams in the playoffs so far tend to pass very well, dribble less and play very unselfishly
No correlation to winning, at least in the NBA. Boston is 27th in assists per field goal - only 56 percent of their buckets are assisted - but the top five in the league are Charlotte, Golden State, Miami, Chicago and Indiana, with percentages ranging from 63 to 67 percent. Only Miami made the playoffs.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

With Kyrie KD and Harden seemingly at full strength going to be tough for anyone to beat them 4 of 7 they are just too tough offensively
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago During the game Sunday the broadcast team said Boston was 25th in the NBA in assists and that can’t make Brad Stevens happy. The Celtics look bad passing the ball, they over dribble with too much individual play. The winning teams in the playoffs so far tend to pass very well, dribble less and play very unselfishly
No correlation to winning, at least in the NBA. Boston is 27th in assists per field goal - only 56 percent of their buckets are assisted - but the top five in the league are Charlotte, Golden State, Miami, Chicago and Indiana, with percentages ranging from 63 to 67 percent. Only Miami made the playoffs.
Just saying what the announcers said while broadcasting the Celtics

I'll agree with 208,

watching the Celtics this year is "Yaaaaawwwnnnnn......."
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Looks like that kid that threw the bottle at Kyrie goes to URI. :(

If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

spookydog wrote: 3 years ago Looks like that kid that threw the bottle at Kyrie goes to URI. :(

Not good
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Well, didn't really see this coming, but it's certainly a shakeup:

rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I view it as a 1-2 year mental vacation until the right college job opens up. Kind of surprised by the move TBH.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 3 years ago I view it as a 1-2 year mental vacation until the right college job opens up. Kind of surprised by the move TBH.
I don't know what Stevens' plan is, but usually NBA GM is a position guys stay in for 3 to 6 years, unless they're an absolute disaster. I'm not especially positive on the news - Most coaches and players tire of one another over time, and it seems like that would color how Stevens views their trade value, their free agency value, and so on. Better to just have some fresh eyes in there, to me, if you feel a change is necessary. I wonder if Ainge is going to stay retired, or if that's simply to save some face right now until a GM job opens up that he wants.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago Watched about 6 possessions of yesterday's game. Just not fun to watch at all these days. Seems like they could give a rat's...
Tatum with the rebound...he dribbles up court, double teamed, he gets away from one...now he dribbles from the right to the left...Tatum still has it, now he fakes inside, step back three nowhere near.... It's kind of a slowed down version of "whoever is dribbling on the break shoots it"... only it's Tatum with the rebound on the defense end, Tatum brings up and gets through traffic (most of the time) then he shoots it.

Yaaaaawwwnnnnn.......

Who'd have ever thunk the Sox would be more exciting to watch then than the Cs?
Two weeks later....lather, rinse....
What do you think 208?
Would you have promoted Stevens? or moved him out with Ainge? or kept the status quo?

Personally I'd have moved them both out, but I'm glad Stevens is out of the Coaching role. I have not seen the Celtics play such poor, lazy, unenthusiastic defense in all the years I have watched them as I saw this season - and the defense got worse in the Nets Playoff series.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago

During the game Sunday the broadcast team said Boston was 25th in the NBA in assists and that can’t make Brad Stevens happy. The Celtics look bad passing the ball, they over dribble with too much individual play. The winning teams in the playoffs so far tend to pass very well, dribble less and play very unselfishly

Celtics need to make changes in the off-season.
Glad to see Danny move out and just as happy to see Stevens out as Head Coach.

Changes had to be made and good to see them happen so quickly.

This was out before the changes were made. Couldn't agree more on the comments regarding the defense. A coach can make excuses about having injured players but there is no excuse to display such poor defensive effort in front of paying fans.

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Hoping Brad the GM can trade Smart the player he needs to go

I am thinking out next coach is going to be Sam Cassell Chauncey Billups or Jason Kidd ??
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Suns @ Lakers a good one tonight as Lakers face elimination

Reef who do you have in this one?
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Pulling hard for the Phoenix Suns
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Suns take out last years champ LA Lakers with Booker getting 47 points. Lebron done for the season. Suns to go up against Denver.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Booker was amazing, especially in the 1st Q as Suns eliminate Lakers last night

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Booker sure was great last night 33 in 1H.

Lakers have 102 M tied up between Bron AD Kuz and KCP be interesting to see what they do this off-season

Looking forward to Bucks Nets going to be fun
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Kara Lawson, next C's coach
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago Kara Lawson, next C's coach
Cannot see or understand this whatsoever.

She’s more qualified and a better candidate than Chauncey Billups, Jason Kidd, Juwan Howard, Sam Cassell, Terry Stotts or Becky Hammon?

She has a grand total of one year experience coaching as an assistant, and was the head coach for 4 games at Duke before she withdrew her team due to covid.
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think she will be a candidate but I think ultimately it will be Sam Cassell Chauncey Billups or Jason Kidd
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Gigantic collapse by 76ers at home in a game 5 that was virtually over. Now down 3 games to 2.
76ers fans booing
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Gigantic collapse by 76ers at home in a game 5 that was virtually over. Now down 3 games to 2.
76ers fans booing
Flipped over right after Arroyo's granny....wasn't philly up 24 in the 2nd half?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago Gigantic collapse by 76ers at home in a game 5 that was virtually over. Now down 3 games to 2.
76ers fans booing
Flipped over right after Arroyo's granny....wasn't philly up 24 in the 2nd half?
They were up 26 late in the 3rd…

Hawks doing hack a Shaq with Simmons who can’t shoot FTs.

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah incredible meltdown there . Say it ain’t so Doc Rivers
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Oof - Simmons is shooting 38 percent from the line in this year's playoffs. Brutal. The East is kind of a mess with all of the injuries - I think any of the four remaining teams could play in the finals.

In the West, I was surprised to see the Jazz cough up that game. However, Paul George seems to do better when he's "forced" to be the #1 option, when he isn't allowed to just disappear into the background. I think the Jazz or the Clippers would be significant underdogs vs. the Suns, since Chris Paul probably has enough time to clear the protocol. (The Clippers especially, since Leonard is likely done for the year, unfortunately.)
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

These injuries are sure having a big outcome over these games but the games have been very good

I expect a big night from the Milwaukee Bucks and that series to go the full 7
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rick Carlisle...if you're listening..

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Thompson has one year, $9M on his contract left, so if anything I think he's a candidate to be bought out. Horford has two years at $27M each, which is a brutal number for him, considering that a Williams-Brown rotation at the 5 shouldn't leave a ton of minutes for Horford.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Love this trade to get Kemba off the books at 73 M for 2 years

Yes Horford makes a lot but he does a lot of things well and should fit in great with JT and JB

I would like to trade TT and Smart and then resign Evan F

Then we will need to find a starting point guard
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Kinda sad that Kemba has gone from regional legend (how can anyone forget that NCAA run at UConn?) to top tier player where no one cared...to returning 'home' with great expectations to...salary dump off to where no one cares...

Wait a second...$34M last season and 73 for the next two....that's the kinda sad tale I'd like to be living...
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Milwaukee Bucks beat the Brooklyn Nets in OT to win the Series.
Play winner of Hawks-76ers Game Sunday night.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

What a headcase is Ben Simmons...can't believe that a guy so athletic can't/won't shoot....just brutal...
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago What a headcase is Ben Simmons...can't believe that a guy so athletic can't/won't shoot....just brutal...
Simmons was 15-45 FTs vs Atlanta for 33%. Pretty bad when the opponent implements a strategy to foul by design knowing how poorly you are shooting FTs in the NBA Playoffs

Philadelphia had a 5-1 record in Game 7s at home compared to Atlanta's 0-9 record in Game 7s on the road - but this Philly team found a way to lose.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Huerter was taken #19 in the same NBA Draft as Trae Young.

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I remember Huerter stock sky rocket before the 18 draft

Hawks GM did a great job building that roster, they have a bright future