General Recruiting Discussion/Comments 2022 and before

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
DevRam
Kenny Green

Re: General Recruiting Discussion/Comments

Unread post by DevRam »

Can someone please explain to me the narrative that we can’t develop big men? I really don’t get it. As an undersized center in Hassan Martin he still “Developed” to be a force in the A10 and elite defensive stopper. Andre Berry couldn’t even go up and down the court when he got here yet he drastically improved and gave quality minutes as a senior on an NCAA tournament team. Cyril Langevine was more raw than uncooked steak when he got here with little to no skill on the offensive end, relying on pure power and strength. He was never going to hit a hook shot or look smooth down there even if Hakeem was coaching him. That being the case he still made improvements throughout his 4 years here with the little he had to work with when arriving. Tertsea and Layssard are different cases, if they had the ceiling they would still be playing D1 basketball right now. In order to “develop” a prospect has to have that potential in the first place. Recruiting bigs in the A10 is much more of a risk reward scenario and that stands true for mostly all teams in the league. No one is getting those polished pure centers coming out of high school with the apparent skills to be great. With all that being said the Mitchell twins are the closest things to being true bigs and having the potential to “develop” into something special this program has seen in a long long time.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Holmes is the highest ranked HS player ever for Dayton. He has left #1 Ranked Monteverde in Florida to play for #15 Ranked AZ Compass Prep.
Interesting that the two teams will play next Saturday in Chandler Arizona. Both are undefeated.

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

We will be facing a major recruiting dilemma for '22. Next year we will have 5 seniors on the roster: Martin, JH, DJ, Walker, and AB, all eligible for an additional year. After next season, the scholarship limit will revert back to 13 regardless if these players decide to return or not. This is a very large class for us and will be difficult not knowing how many spots will be available, depending upon what these seniors decide to do. This frustration has been discussed by many staffs across the country and especially a concern for us because of the size of this class.

Copy below:

"Seniors will be permitted to return next year and not count against a sport's roster or scholarship limits. Underclassmen will get access to a waiver they can use to extend their careers, but beyond the 2021-22 academic year, those athletes will count against scholarship and roster limits."

___
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rhodyblue12 wrote: 3 years ago I can see an argument for each of the players listed (although not sure Phillips is the right guy or if Davis is actually a PG).

However, maybe consider another option. I like what they are doing with IleriAyo-Faleye.
Can the staff find another player that intends to do a PG year and convince them to red shirt instead? Preferably a big.

For example (and if I am wrong about this player, DC let me know), Dominic Strother is at Woodstock Academy for his Sr year but is planning to do a PG year which is why he is listed as a '22. Why not spend a red shirt year at URI instead of a PG year at Woodstock?
Woodstock lists him as 6'10", but even if he is actually 6'8", he has wing type skills and would be a nice addition.
You can eliminate Strother from the URI radar, not happening.
Any player associated with Woodstock that stays in the area ends up at UMass because of assistant coach slick Tony Bergeron, that is where their players do their interning.
Practically their entire roster went there 8 players: Mitchell, Walker, Weeks, DeGray, Santos, Fernandes, McCrory, and Dominguez.
One exception: Jacob Toppin, he didn't like slick Tony
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Well, we have a thread on him and he is from the DC/Virginia area. If he just transferred to Woodstock this year, he may have never met Bergeron.

In any case, this was just an example of what I'd like to see the staff consider.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rhodyblue12 wrote: 3 years ago Well, we have a thread on him and he is from the DC/Virginia area. If he just transferred to Woodstock this year, he may have never met Bergeron.

In any case, this was just an example of what I'd like to see the staff consider.
Yes, wouldn't be a bad pick up for '22 we have Samb for '21 along with freshman redshirt Ileri,
I guess I am not optimistic about recruits from Woodstock, being from the DMV does help though.
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

IMHO for the last scholarship all depends on shep leaving if he does look for a transfer who can contribute cuz the site of Carey starting next year has me worried, he needs to be someone who’s good off the ball, but on the ball goodness gracious. But if shep stays look for kid from HS to develop this year like tres
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Please, I don't care where, just find us a sniper
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
If you put this here thinking it’s someone we should look at, absolutely positively not.
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago
If you put this here thinking it’s someone we should look at, absolutely positively not.
He is only 5'10", not sure how much recruiting interest he is getting, maybe a good walk on here.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

As it stands now, is this the correct roster/classes for next season?

Allen Betrand
Jermaine Harris
DJ Johnson
Malik Martin
Antwan Walker

Jalen Carey
Makhel Mitchell
Makhi Mitchell

Ishmael Leggett

Ileri Ayo-Faleye
Tres Berry
Abdou Samb

ETA- when I wrote this, I thought, surely people will understand that I know about the hypothetical extra year across the board but didn’t include every possibility because everything is so uncertain. And yet
Last edited by ace 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

ace wrote: 3 years ago As it stands now, is this the correct roster/classes for next season?

Allen Betrand
Jermaine Harris
DJ Johnson
Malik Martin
Antwan Walker

Jalen Carey
Makhel Mitchell
Makhi Mitchell

Ishmael Leggett

Ileri Ayo-Faleye
Tres Berry
Abdou Samb
Kind of, I guess. It depends on if anyone is taking advantage of a free year. Ish, Tre, Abdou and Ileri are all freshmen next year just as Mitchell/Mitchell, Carey are sophomores and Betrand, Harris, Johnson, Martin, and Walker are juniors. We don't have anyone on the roster next year that runs out of eligibility at the end of the year, no?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Looks correct to me.
And Sheppard, Russell could have an extra year if desired.
rhodyblue12
ARD

I think DJ is a red-shirt Soph, right?
1 year of JUCO, sat out last year, this year does not count.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 3 years ago I think DJ is a red-shirt Soph, right?
He played two years of JUCO.

As things start to play out, I would be very surprised if a significant number of players take the extra year of eligibility.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ace wrote: 3 years ago
rhodyblue12 wrote: 3 years ago I think DJ is a red-shirt Soph, right?
He played two years of JUCO.

As things start to play out, I would be very surprised if a significant number of players take the extra year of eligibility.
Yes, I will be curious to see the percentage of seniors that use this extra year or leave to play their post grad year somewhere else.

You would think that most of these players just want to move on with their lives unless they had an injury that may of derailed their season.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Carey might opt out. That would open up another spot.

The news that the dead period for recruiting has been extended until May, is not good news for us imo.

Cox needs to recruit by having recruits visit, the better to more accurately assess their talents and fit here.

Taking flyers on transfers is a crap shoot. As we've seen, some have worked out, and some haven't.

We need a couple of home run additions for next season. It's all about quality depth, which we don't have.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Carey might opt out. That would open up another spot.

The news that the dead period for recruiting has been extended until May, is not good news for us imo.

Cox needs to recruit by having recruits visit, the better to more accurately assess their talents and fit here.

Taking flyers on transfers is a crap shoot. As we've seen, some have worked out, and some haven't.

We need a couple of home run additions for next season. It's all about quality depth, which we don't have.
That’s just the new reality of college basketball and mid major fans will have to get used to it sooner rather than later. It’s going to be a shit show when top players can transfer at will.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We are just a feeder system for the P5's under these new rules. Fact.

Yes, we will get transfers from P5's and occasionally from lower levels.

But, will they work out here? That what makes it hard.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

We need a guard. If Shep doesn't come back, we desperately need a guard. My preference would be a traditional PG.
rhodyblue12
ARD

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago We are just a feeder system for the P5's under these new rules. Fact.

We will get the P5 kids that overshot their mark and should have been in a lower league. We will get kids who are talented enough but did not play for other reasons (personality, effort, etc.). They will all be flawed to some extent, but were they changed by the experience?
The key is to find the kids that went to a P5 school, identified their faults and are willing to make corrections (working harder, playing better defense, etc.). You want the kids that leave a P5 saying "f#@% that, I'll show them".
You must avoid the kid that blames others - they won't change and will trash your team dynamic.

Recruiting these kids becomes less of a talent assessment and more an interview process to assess state of mind. If you can do this well, you can have success in the transfer market.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Carey might opt out. That would open up another spot.

Carey should work on his shooting. Face up jumpers until he is confident in his outside shot. A move to another program will not fix his problem.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 3 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago We are just a feeder system for the P5's under these new rules. Fact.

We will get the P5 kids that overshot their mark and should have been in a lower league. We will get kids who are talented enough but did not play for other reasons (personality, effort, etc.). They will all be flawed to some extent, but were they changed by the experience?
The key is to find the kids that went to a P5 school, identified their faults and are willing to make corrections (working harder, playing better defense, etc.). You want the kids that leave a P5 saying "f#@% that, I'll show them".
You must avoid the kid that blames others - they won't change and will trash your team dynamic.

Recruiting these kids becomes less of a talent assessment and more an interview process to assess state of mind. If you can do this well, you can have success in the transfer market.
Part of what you need is a track record of “re-habbing” transfers so you get buy in from the next group. Makhel is a good selling point, Carey tbd.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I've seen people here discuss Tyler Kolek. He was under-recruited. There's a kid playing in RI right now who is better than Kolek that doesn't have a lot of offers. His name is Matt Constant and he plays at St. Andrew's. He's a 6'2" PG .Very good shooter and ball handler and an ELITE passer. But he's not overly athletic, just a very good basketball player. So, we won't give him a look. Check out his tape and some of his passes and his game.
https://www.hudl.com/profile/14131796/Matt-Constant
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Saw this on Shep’s insta looks like we’re already looking at this grad transfer PG from VMI
https://instagram.com/stories/alden05_/ ... gkihivap74
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

And by far VMI’s best player averaging 18.4 ppg, 4 ast, 3.9 reb
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Is Shep coming back too? That would be a big.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Dino611 wrote: 3 years ago Saw this on Shep’s insta looks like we’re already looking at this grad transfer PG from VMI
Judging by Sheppard story, getting this kid would go a long way into convincing Sheppard to come back.
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

18 Ppg. 48 % field 43 % from 3 and 80 % line
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Dino611 wrote: 3 years ago Saw this on Shep’s insta looks like we’re already looking at this grad transfer PG from VMI
Judging by Sheppard story, getting this kid would go a long way into convincing Sheppard to come back.
If Shep decides to return that would be Cox's biggest recruiting victory this off season
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

reef wrote: 3 years ago 18 Ppg. 48 % field 43 % from 3 and 80 % line
I’d be more excited for Sheppard returning than I would be for getting this kid.

I won’t be looking at stats at a lower level and think they’ll translate to the A10 anymore.

Case in point, Betrand.

And to a lesser extent, Martin.
Go Rhody
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

I’d be more excited for Sheppard returning than I would be for getting this kid.

I won’t be looking at stats at a lower level and think they’ll translate to the A10 anymore.

Case in point, Betrand.

Would be worth it just to get Shep back if it’s a guaranteed 2 for 1 deal
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago

Case in point, Betrand.

Would be worth it just to get Shep back if it’s a guaranteed 2 for 1 deal

Absolutely.
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Case in point, Betrand.

You know, he strikes me as more promising in a way, because his rate stats and efficiency - especially his shooting - have all gone up, even though he's taken on a greater share of the offense. That's pretty rare, and suggests he might not have plateaued as a player yet. I don't know if he could replicate 43 percent from 3 again, but something between that and 37 percent as a junior is pretty much exactly what URI needs. Him and Sheppard in the backcourt, with Ish on a wing, would really help to spread the court.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Looks like Pitt is after Parham.

He's obviously a take.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago

Case in point, Betrand.

You know, he strikes me as more promising in a way, because his rate stats and efficiency - especially his shooting - have all gone up, even though he's taken on a greater share of the offense. That's pretty rare, and suggests he might not have plateaued as a player yet. I don't know if he could replicate 43 percent from 3 again, but something between that and 37 percent as a junior is pretty much exactly what URI needs. Him and Sheppard in the backcourt, with Ish on a wing, would really help to spread the court.
Ish on the wing? Isn't Ish a PG?
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

I want SHEP and Parham!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

theblueram wrote: 3 years ago

Case in point, Betrand.

Ehh, I wouldn't call lsh a point guard. He is more of a 2 guard, in my opinion. Can you put him at the point? 100%.. I like him off the ball more. He's very good at taking the pass on the move and slashing to the basket. He reads the defense extremely well and draws fouls better than anyone on the team. He also seemed to be much better at catching and shooting than pulling up off the dribble.. Regardless, Sheppard is the starting point guard if he comes back. If we are lucky enough to land Parham, we will want him, Shep, and Ish on the floor a lot. Maybe Parham at 6'4 could be the "wing" out of the 3, but I know a stronger guard like Ish could do it if need be.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago
theblueram wrote: 3 years ago

Ehh, I wouldn't call lsh a point guard. He is more of a 2 guard, in my opinion. Can you put him at the point? 100%.. I like him off the ball more. He's very good at taking the pass on the move and slashing to the basket. He reads the defense extremely well and draws fouls better than anyone on the team. He also seemed to be much better at catching and shooting than pulling up off the dribble.. Regardless, Sheppard is the starting point guard if he comes back. If we are lucky enough to land Parham, we will want him, Shep, and Ish on the floor a lot. Maybe Parham at 6'4 could be the "wing" out of the 3, but I know a stronger guard like Ish could do it if need be.
Yeah - My thinking was that you just keep Sheppard and Parham at the positions they're more used to playing, whereas Ish is kind of playing backup PG, SG and SF right now, I imagine, based on what weird configuration is out there. Not that I think it matters that much - if you can get / keep all three, you do it, since I think their skill sets would enhance each others.
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

From Parham’s IG. More marketing push from Rhody to get Greg.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

We have 1 open scholarship. If Sheppard does not come back we need an immediate impact guard to help Ish.

I would love for Tres to be able to step right in but cannot count on that.

Anyone know is Shep coming back is contigent on getting Parham? We need answers quick or Cox is gonna be left dateless at the dance...and we won't be dancing...
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago We have 1 open scholarship. If Sheppard does not come back we need an immediate impact guard to help Ish.

Anyone know is Shep coming back is contigent on getting Parham? We need answers quick or Cox is gonna be left dateless at the dance...and we won't be dancing...
Actually may be the other way around, would Parham consider us if Shep decides to come back.

Regardless if whether or not he does return and who ever we do get, our chances of "dancing" next season is an extreme longshot.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago We have 1 open scholarship. If Sheppard does not come back we need an immediate impact guard to help Ish.

Actually may be the other way around, would Parham consider us if Shep decides to come back.

Regardless if whether or not he does return and who ever we do get, our chances of "dancing" next season is an extreme longshot.
I'm assuming he wouldn't post a picture that says "The Alden and Shep show" and tag Shep if he wasn't interested in playing with him.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago

I'm assuming he wouldn't post a picture that says "The Alden and Shep show" and tag Shep if he wasn't interested in playing with him.
Exactly, I was thinking if Parham would be more interested in us because of Shep, if he returns and play alongside of him.
Giving us an advantage in his recruitment. I don't think Parham will be the deciding factor for Shep.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

I am sure there will be some changes but my understanding is that we have 1 scholarship IF Shep does not come back. So we would need something else to open up. Also, we reached out to Cam Fletcher already with the 1 space. Not sure point guard is the priority of the staff unless they know another scholarship is opening up. We are probably rolling with Ish and Jalen as our PGs next year.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago I am sure there will be some changes but my understanding is that we have 1 scholarship IF Shep does not come back. So we would need something else to open up. Also, we reached out to Cam Fletcher already with the 1 space. Not sure point guard is the priority of the staff unless they know another scholarship is opening up. We are probably rolling with Ish and Jalen as our PGs next year.
We actually have 1 scholarship open regardless of whether Shep comes back or not.
Seniors returning next season to the same school don't count against the scholarship limit (13), only a one time deal.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago I am sure there will be some changes but my understanding is that we have 1 scholarship IF Shep does not come back. So we would need something else to open up. Also, we reached out to Cam Fletcher already with the 1 space. Not sure point guard is the priority of the staff unless they know another scholarship is opening up. We are probably rolling with Ish and Jalen as our PGs next year.
We actually have 1 scholarship open regardless of whether Shep comes back or not.
Seniors returning next season to the same school don't count against the scholarship limit (13), only a one time deal.
That’s right - forgot about that rule change this year.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
That’s right - forgot about that rule change this year.
As far as I know we are still involved in a few HS/Prep guard recruits and may go that route if Shep returns because it gives us some time.
If he is gone, then we need immediate help and may look for a transfer.
Either way, we will try and get the best player available.