12/4 | Providence | 2:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Re: 12/4 | Providence | 2:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by RI_Bred »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago If opponents start playing the 3/4 press more, we will turn it over even more, especially with Mr. Clueless playing our best ball handler 13 minutes a game.

We are going to lose many conference road games going forward.

Does anyone doubt this any more?
It's possible that Cox has noticed the need to play Thomas more after this loss. Possible...
Mobley was fouled.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Just looking at their schedule we should beat this team by 15-20
Sacred Heart
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

reef wrote: 2 years ago Just looking at their schedule we should beat this team by 15-20
Sacred Heart
We better. I'm semi-reluctantly going to the game. Have a ticket connection I can't say no to...!
Mobley was fouled.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Why are we playing Sacred Heart. ? Tune up for the season?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

McRam wrote: 2 years ago Why are we playing Sacred Heart. ? Tune up for the season?
Gotta get em ready for the NCAAT!!!!!!!!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago
McRam wrote: 2 years ago Why are we playing Sacred Heart. ? Tune up for the season?
Gotta get em ready for the NCAAT!!!!!!!!
PC played Sacred Heart this year, as did Brown today.
Sacred heart beat LaSalle this year
Bryant will play Sacred Heart in Conference play
So all RI D1 schools playing D1 Sacred Heart this year
It’s a buy game too
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

PeteRI wrote: 2 years agoI miss Hurley.
So go to Storrs, CT...that's where you'll find him.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

RI_Bred wrote: 2 years ago
rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago If opponents start playing the 3/4 press more, we will turn it over even more, especially with Mr. Clueless playing our best ball handler 13 minutes a game.

It's possible that Cox has noticed the need to play Thomas more after this loss. Possible...
If he didn't notice it during the only two good spurts of offensive play in the middle of the most high profile game of the year, he isn't going to notice it.

Even if he did notice it, his problem is he's too much of a "nice" guy to do anything because he's promised guys minutes. He promises guys minutes in recruiting and feels compelled to honor his commitments. Noble, but stupid.

That's why we always have these mountains of data to say "why isn't Cox playing this guy over this guy" but he never does. I don't think DC is stupid, he definitely sees it. He has to. If we do, he does. But maybe he's just too committed to honoring his promises to players that he won't even make an adjustment unlike other coaches. It's why substitution patterns seem robotic and rehearsed.

If you put that filter on, that's what's happened every year here. Why do you think guys transfer and leave more than other programs? Because players are being played based on how they were recruited, not on how they're playing.

Anyone who's ever played a team sport - if you see someone working harder/playing better on the field, but being benched over a "teacher's pet" type kid...what does that make you want to do? Whether it's you or not. It just impacts the team. What's the point of playing harder if you know you're not going to see more minutes?

Someone on here said it, but maybe DC is just too nice to be a head coach.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
RI_Bred wrote: 2 years ago

If he didn't notice it during the only two good spurts of offensive play in the middle of the most high profile game of the year, he isn't going to notice it.

Even if he did notice it, his problem is he's too much of a "nice" guy to do anything because he's promised guys minutes. He promises guys minutes in recruiting and feels compelled to honor his commitments. Noble, but stupid.

That's why we always have these mountains of data to say "why isn't Cox playing this guy over this guy" but he never does. I don't think DC is stupid, he definitely sees it. He has to. If we do, he does. But maybe he's just too committed to honoring his promises to players that he won't even make an adjustment unlike other coaches. It's why substitution patterns seem robotic and rehearsed.

If you put that filter on, that's what's happened every year here. Why do you think guys transfer and leave more than other programs? Because players are being played based on how they were recruited, not on how they're playing.

Anyone who's ever played a team sport - if you see someone working harder/playing better on the field, but being benched over a "teacher's pet" type kid...what does that make you want to do? Whether it's you or not. It just impacts the team. What's the point of playing harder if you know you're not going to see more minutes?

Someone on here said it, but maybe DC is just too nice to be a head coach.
Great post, BlueMan. I've never coached basketball at any level, but let's say for argument's sake that coaching in any given game is 70% pre-game planning and 30% in-game adjustments. It feels like Cox is much closer 90/10 on that front, likely for reasons you stated above.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
PeteRI wrote: 2 years agoI miss Hurley.
So go to Storrs, CT...that's where you'll find him.
That's like going to the same place as the ex you're still in love with, but she's with another man. Screw that. We miss Dan as the head coach of Rhody.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I guess if Cooley says it often enough, his players believe it. I wonder if UConn feels the same way......NOT!

Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago I guess if Cooley says it often enough, his players believe it. I wonder if UConn feels the same way......NOT!

They’re 18-29 against UConn. Similar winning percentage to URI vs PC.

Uconn fans laugh at PC fans. It’s sad they consider themselves in the same stratosphere as the Huskies.

A lot of similarities between both rivalries in that sense - but at least I’ve never been so diluted to think our programs are at the same level. PC is most definitely above us throughout the Cooley era.

To say we’re not rivals is laughable regardless.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago I guess if Cooley says it often enough, his players believe it. I wonder if UConn feels the same way......NOT!

They’re 18-29 against UConn. Similar winning percentage to URI vs PC.

Uconn fans laugh at PC fans. It’s sad they consider themselves in the same stratosphere as the Huskies.

A lot of similarities between both rivalries in that sense - but at least I’ve never been so diluted to think our programs are at the same level. PC is most definitely above us throughout the Cooley era.

To say we’re not rivals is laughable regardless.
Comparing our rivalry with the made up UConn-PC won isn't really accurate though. For instance, while PC has been more generally successful than us during Cooley's tenure, we have more NCAA wins during that same time. Now look at UConn's national success compared to PC. UConn has four national championships to PC's one NCAA win since 99. PC and URI are far closer in national stature than PC and UConn
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I know too many PC fans growing up around the city and I literally never heard of any mention of a grand rivalry between PC and Uconn, or any hatred for that matter.
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

And at one time the URI-UConn rivalry was almost as big as the URI-PC rivalry. Ironically, Dave Gavitt ended that.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ahhh yesss,
Nate Watson is in his 5th year of playing college ball At PC. 5th year Nate had a total of only 7 points and 2 rebounds in only 20 minutes of play vs URI with 4 fouls. And hit only 1 of 4 FTs.
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

that's cute.
:lol:
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Gosh darn you Nate WAtson !!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

It’s absolutely epic that any PC fan thinks they are rivals with UConn.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Also - hilarious that at a press conference about an important conference game he's bringing us up.

Dude we suck, you're still thinking about us? THAT MEANS WE'RE YOUR RIVAL. douche.

Give to Rhody's NIL
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Rent free.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »