Fatts (Grad Transfer to Maryland)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Fatts

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Just pass it...get it over with, it's unstoppable at this point. It's not going to suck, it will just be different...but, if your team stinks any given year, you should be able to re-tool quickly.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The staff has to prepare for all kinds of possibilities right now.....everything's up in the air.

Same for all schools in all sports. Will schools even be able to reopen?

Who the hell knows what's going to happen? Are we going to have games without fans?

Are we even going to have games at all?

A poll came out today that the vast majority of Americans would not go to games without a vaccine.

That could be a year from now at least......
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago The staff has to prepare for all kinds of possibilities right now.....everything's up in the air.

Same for all schools in all sports. Will schools even be able to reopen?

Who the hell knows what's going to happen? Are we going to have games without fans?

Are we even going to have games at all?

A poll came out today that the vast majority of Americans would not go to games without a vaccine.

That could be a year from now at least......
They're also predicting a 2nd wave in November or December. It's possible that a season starts and has to be cancelled again.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

It may also be an abbreviated schedule of only conference games starting in mid January and ending with the tourney in March.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Going to need an EFFECTIVE vaccine or hopefully before that a drug or drugs that can keep people from dying, otherwise a 2nd or 3rd wave is likely.

Hell, last time I got a flu shot, I got a bad case of the flu a couple weeks later.

That was 22 years ago. Never got one again...and since then have never gotten the flu again....knock on wood.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Same here! Glad I'm not a doctor because I'd tell my patients "Let's flip a coin."
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Maybe there will be a new pay-per-view model with no fans in the stands.
NCAAs or Bust!
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Fatts was talking on IG live like he was coming back. He told one uri fan he went live with who was younger and told him to find him after one of the games he has something he wanted to give him. For what that is worth. Thought I would spread the word. Also told one middle schooler he would go to his game when he is back at uri if he told him his schedule.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago Fatts was talking on IG live like he was coming back. He told one uri fan he went live with who was younger and told him to find him after one of the games he has something he wanted to give him. For what that is worth. Thought I would spread the word. Also told one middle schooler he would go to his game when he is back at uri if he told him his schedule.
That's right, come back, set records, win games, cement legacy!
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago Fatts was talking on IG live like he was coming back. He told one uri fan he went live with who was younger and told him to find him after one of the games he has something he wanted to give him. For what that is worth. Thought I would spread the word. Also told one middle schooler he would go to his game when he is back at uri if he told him his schedule.
That is promising to hear. Honestly I’ve been a little worried about him returning to URI with Martin transferring and the potential transfer rule passing allowing him to leave without sitting. Glad you shared the info makes me feel a little better! I think if Fatts returns and transfer rule passes we are definitely top 3 in A10 with upside to be much better. If Fatts makes and improvement simialr to last year it will be very fun to watch him dominate the a10.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Just one more reason I love this guy.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

PeteRI wrote: 4 years ago
Just one more reason I love this guy.
Yeah he was interacting with alot of his Instagram followers by going live with them and asking them questions and fatts was initiating most of the questions to them. And half of them were younger kids from RI. And he was definitely talking to all them really nice and making a couple of their days and offering to attend their game or giving them something after a game. One of the kids was going nuts he was live with fatts. But yeah got to love gestures in times like this by fatts.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I thought we are a bad fanbase if we look at someone's story? If it's good news does that make it ok?
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

So, do we guess what that means?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago So, do we guess what that means?
Seems like he's going back and forth with his decision.
Go Rhody
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

That worries me.
Slava Ukraini!
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago So, do we guess what that means?
Seems like he's going back and forth with his decision.
It's also a double meaning because, if you look at the pictures, you'll see a range of different emotions all mixed together into one post. ....so deep
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

That's what I take it as...mixed feelings. It's a huge decision.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

The fact that all the pics prominently feature "Rhode Island" or "URI" shows he much he cares about the program he so proudly represents.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago That's what I take it as...mixed feelings. It's a huge decision.
I’d be most fearful of him transferring if the rule passes.
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

I would think this means he is torn between staying or transferring.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 4 years ago I would think this means he is torn between staying or transferring.
Morey Hershgordon?
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 4 years ago I would think this means he is torn between staying or transferring.
Fatts transferring his senior year seems even more pointless than Santos-Silva leaving a program like VCU for the honor of playing at P5 powerhouses Penn State or Georgia. He's already a known commodity in the college basketball world, and he has a chance to cement his legacy as one of the all-time greatest players in URI history.

Is one season at a P5 school, likely in a diminished role, really going to boost his long term prospects enough to make the jump worthwhile?? I'm not buying it at all. If he was a freshman looking to make a transition, that's an entirely different story.
Last edited by NJRhodyFan 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago
Morey Hershgordon?
Is that supposed to be funny?
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

NJRhodyFan wrote: 4 years ago
Fatts transferring his senior year seems even more pointless than Santos-Silva leaving a program like VCU for the honor of playing at P5 powerhouses Penn State or Georgia. He's already a known commodity in the college basketball world, and he has a chance to cement his legacy as one of the all-time greatest players in URI history.

Is one season at a P5 school, likely in a diminished role, really going to boost his long term prospects enough to make the jump worthwhile?? I'm not buying it at all, but what the hell do I know.
Transferring would be bullshit.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago

Is one season at a P5 school, likely in a diminished role, really going to boost his long term prospects enough to make the jump worthwhile?? I'm not buying it at all, but what the hell do I know.
What is scary is Long, Martin and Toppin all left, and these transfers were unexpected at the end of February.... And there could be an additional departure or two.

We then replace them with the Mitchell Twins and Martin but those 3 must sit out a year based on current rules. So 3 Depart but the 3 replacements can't play for a full year. And to top that off we are looking at bringing in more transfers that will need to sit our a year like Pridgen from Holy Cross. Not many Grad Transfers who could immediately help, or Freshmen.

That's a lot of Playing Time bet on the NCAA making a favorable ruling on eligibility. But good news for the 8 scholarship players for playing time opportunities.
Last edited by ramster 4 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago
Morey Hershgordon?
Gezundheit! 😃
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Thank you, PeteRI
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I know players and recruits read this board. So I ask Fatt's to come on board and give us some insight. Cmon Fatts. Just one post here to let us know you are all good.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Crazy times.

Hang in there Fatts!
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

He knows who loves him. :mrgreen:
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

You'd think he'd at least wait until the transfer rule passes.

If it does he can take us some places.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 4 years ago

What is scary is Long, Martin and Toppin all left, and these transfers were unexpected at the end of February.... And there could be an additional departure or two.

We then replace them with the Mitchell Twins and Martin but those 3 must sit out a year based on current rules. So 3 Depart but the 3 replacements can't play for a full year. And to top that off we are looking at bringing in more transfers that will need to sit our a year like Pridgen from Holy Cross. Not many Grad Transfers who could immediately help, or Freshmen.

That's a lot of Playing Time bet on the NCAA making a favorable ruling on eligibility. But grid news for the 8 scholarship players for playing time opportunities.
If the rule passes than I think Fatts goes to another school where he can make one last run at the tourney. If it doesn’t pass it seems like he would look to play professionally somewhere. He isn’t going to stay with what is left in my mind. URI lost Dowtin, Cyril, Toppin, Martin and Long. It is one thing to be the main guy and another to be left on an island especially at his size. The other teams will make it a priority to shut Fatts down and also give him some Detroit Piston on Michael Jordan treatment whenever he drives to the bucket. It would be very surprising if he was here despite his recent Instagram with URI. The only two reasons that I can see him staying is that he loves the campus and his friends at URI and he has something that no one else has possessed lately-loyalty to his coach. Cox stuck his neck for him his sophomore year.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The total uncertainty about the future, not just about our roster but everything else that's going on in the world these days, is starting to drive a lot of people crazy.

There are no definite answers about anything at this point.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

I refuse to speculate. Let the dominoes fall as the may.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Love Fatts! If transfers don't have to sit out this coming year, I don't think the guy has anything to lose and everything to gain by staying here one more year. We love him! He'll have a loaded roster and solid shot at going out with an A10 championship and deep NCAA Tournament run. He'll also have gained another year of experience at the college level and will have honed his skills that much more. It will only help his chances at playing pro ball.
Some might say "well what if he gets injured" and to that I say he could just as easily get injured by pushing to hard in a pro game that he may not be ready for quite yet. One last year could do him a lot of good in my opinion. Also, having a chance to finish his degree would also be a wise thing to do as a fall back if pro ball doesn't go great or if he suffers a terrible injury after college in my opinion.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I am not worried about Fatts transfering. If the transfer rule change passes Rhody is loaded and Fatts is the unquestioned leader of the team. If the rule change does not pass our roster is currently too thin but Cox still has a little time to address it. Why would Fatts sit a year instead of going professional? That option does not make much sense to me. If Fatts is offered a nice guaranteed deal to play professionally for decent money then he should by all means consider that option. I love Fatts and really want to take my very quick and athletic but not tall nephew to see him play in person.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Maybe I'm just a negative outsider, but how are you guys "loaded?"

Outside of Fatts, the roster is littered with question marks. The two returning bigs on the roster averaged less than 11 points per game and both were often in foul trouble in any form of extended minutes. The two incoming bigs have played less than 200 combined D1 minutes. Your two veteran wing players were decent guys for ECU and Charlotte respectively, but weren't playing for tournament caliber teams and put up numbers of good role players at that level. And then you have a bunch of freshmen who may contribute but aren't highly-heralded coming out of HS. Oh and I forgot Johnson, a kid many of you said should never play on this team. Did I miss anyone?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just don't see how all of those question marks equal a "loaded" team? Things very well may click, but I think that is hardly a certainty. If someone wanted to play for a tournament-caliber team, there are a lot more safe bets out there.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 4 years ago, edited 6 times in total.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

DeanDome88 wrote: 4 years ago I am not worried about Fatts transfering. If the transfer rule change passes Rhody is loaded and Fatts is the unquestioned leader of the team. If the rule change does not pass our roster is currently too thin but Cox still has a little time to address it. Why would Fatts sit a year instead of going professional? That option does not make much sense to me. If Fatts is offered a nice guaranteed deal to play professionally for decent money then he should by all means consider that option. I love Fatts and really want to take my very quick and athletic but not tall nephew to see him play in person.
Agreed. I'm more worried about Fatts going pro than transferring. He'll have a great senior year if he's at Rhody next year!
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Here we go again = Fatts looking for love.
NCAAs or Bust!
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

DeanDome88 wrote: 4 years ago I am not worried about Fatts transfering. If the transfer rule change passes Rhody is loaded and Fatts is the unquestioned leader of the team. If the rule change does not pass our roster is currently too thin but Cox still has a little time to address it. Why would Fatts sit a year instead of going professional? That option does not make much sense to me. If Fatts is offered a nice guaranteed deal to play professionally for decent money then he should by all means consider that option. I love Fatts and really want to take my very quick and athletic but not tall nephew to see him play in person.
Cmon. Loaded is not the right word to describe this team next year. This team is not nearly as good as last years team. It looks crazy when we say stuff like that.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago Maybe I'm just a negative outsider, but how are you guys "loaded?"

Outside of Fatts, the roster is littered with question marks. The two returning bigs on the roster averaged less than 11 points per game and both were often in foul trouble in any form of extended minutes. The two incoming bigs have played less than 200 combined D1 minutes. Your two veteran wing players were decent guys for ECU and Charlotte respectively, but weren't playing for tournament caliber teams and put up numbers of good role players at that level. And then you have a bunch of freshmen who may contribute but aren't highly-heralded coming out of HS. Oh and I forgot Johnson, a kid many of you said should never play on this team. Did I miss anyone?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just don't see how all of those question marks equal a "loaded" team? Things very well may click, but I think that is hardly a certainty. If someone wanted to play for a tournament-caliber team, there are a lot more safe bets out there.
You are not being a jerk. This team is far from loaded. It could have a very good year and finish 3rd or 4th in the A-10 or finish 7th or 8th
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agree with this take ... stop putting ridiculous expectations on players you have never seen play a game in Keaney Blue. Continuity is the best precursor to success in college hoops, even moreso in a league like the A10 which doesn't typically attract immediate impact FR or transfers. Our continuity metrics will be woeful entering the season. We lost 2 critical seniors, and 2 promising young guys who would have been starters. Our 5th starter (Fatts) is teetering on the fence and IMO gun to my head he isn't coming back. Let alone Covid, we have at minimum a half dozen new faces to integrate into a team environment. Even if transfers are eligible we will not have a loaded roster next season. We could have a decently high ceiling but will also have a lower floor than past few years with so many question marks.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Agree with this take ... stop putting ridiculous expectations on players you have never seen play a game in Keaney Blue. Continuity is the best precursor to success in college hoops, even moreso in a league like the A10 which doesn't typically attract immediate impact FR or transfers. Our continuity metrics will be woeful entering the season. We lost 2 critical seniors, and 2 promising young guys who would have been starters. Our 5th starter (Fatts) is teetering on the fence and IMO gun to my head he isn't coming back. Let alone Covid, we have at minimum a half dozen new faces to integrate into a team environment. Even if transfers are eligible we will not have a loaded roster next season. We could have a decently high ceiling but will also have a lower floor than past few years with so many question marks.
I think the ceiling is just as high as the last few years, agree the floor is shaky
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

The ceiling is the roof, according to the one and only MJ.
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Agree with this take ... stop putting ridiculous expectations on players you have never seen play a game in Keaney Blue. Continuity is the best precursor to success in college hoops, even moreso in a league like the A10 which doesn't typically attract immediate impact FR or transfers. Our continuity metrics will be woeful entering the season. We lost 2 critical seniors, and 2 promising young guys who would have been starters. Our 5th starter (Fatts) is teetering on the fence and IMO gun to my head he isn't coming back. Let alone Covid, we have at minimum a half dozen new faces to integrate into a team environment. Even if transfers are eligible we will not have a loaded roster next season. We could have a decently high ceiling but will also have a lower floor than past few years with so many question marks.
With the coming of college hoops free agency...I'm thinking the importance of continuity diminishes significantly...which is fine with me. Re-boot!
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Unless all the transfers can play this season — and play competently— I’m going to need to get loaded to watch this team.

Thank God they sell ‘Gansett down here.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
Cmon. Loaded is not the right word to describe this team next year. This team is not nearly as good as last years team. It looks crazy when we say stuff like that.
Going into 19-20 season we had two proven consistent solid starters, Jeff and Cyril, and four returning players that we hoped could make the leap to consistent starter level (Fatts, Tyrese, Jermaine and Dana) along with newcomers Walker, Toppin, Hammond Long and DJ who most expected to play small roles. Fatts and Tyrese made the leap to consistently good starter level players. Jermaine was a decent role player-easily the best of the role players. Dana and Greg left the program. Toppin, Long and Walker were role players. Long was perhaps the most consistent of the three but was very limited offensively. We basically had four solid consistent level starters and 4 role players and finished 21-9. I think what limited the team was that our role players especially Toppin and Long were so limited offensively. Toppin looked good on his dunks but the vast majority of them were uncontested. Harris had flashes where he looked good on the move in the paint but whatever injury he had midseason slowed his progress. Harris defensive play improved form his freshman season. Walker was a little inconsitent and out of sync with his teammeates sometimes but showed some nice flashes of court vision and hustle and had a decent shooting percentage while being an unselfish player . DJ redshirted.

Going into 20-21 we have Fatts who is a legitimate star player, Martin who I grade as a consistent starter talent, Sheppard who is likely to be a solid starter giving us three starter level backcourt players similar to last year (including Tyrese as backcourt). We have the Mitchell twins, Jermaine and Walker from amongst we hope to realize some strong play in the paint. I think with this group we have the potential to control the backboards and contest shots at the rim. I like Jermaine facing the basket on the offensive end of the court. I like the idea of Fatts feeding Mitchell underneath if he has good hands which I expect for a 4 star center we could be dangerous. We have three incoming freshman guards all with decent size from which to develop some depth in the backcourt. I love Jeff Dowtin but he was not the perfect fit next to Fatts especially with Tyrese being a bit of a ball stopper. I think the upcoming group of guards just might fit better together. DJ might play a little this year on the wing and shoud surely be deployed occasionally against the zone.

When I say loaded its in reference to talent and not as much for their performance to date. We also have a coaching staff that makes good in game adjustments. I'm also biased. If the coaching staff gets them to play tough defense (where Malik is a major addition) we should be very good and we should have more offensive firepower than Cox's first two squads. Tyrese and Jacob took a lot of three pointers and made a lousy percentage. I think we will have better shooters firing them up next year.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

DeanDome88 wrote: 4 years ago
RamStock wrote: 4 years ago
Going into 19-20 season we had two proven consistent solid starters, Jeff and Cyril, and four returning players that we hoped could make the leap to consistent starter level (Fatts, Tyrese, Jermaine and Dana) along with newcomers Walker, Toppin, Hammond Long and DJ who most expected to play small roles. Fatts and Tyrese made the leap to consistently good starter level players. Jermaine was a decent role player-easily the best of the role players. Dana and Greg left the program. Toppin, Long and Walker were role players. Long was perhaps the most consistent of the three but was very limited offensively. We basically had four solid consistent level starters and 4 role players and finished 21-9. I think what limited the team was that our role players especially Toppin and Long were so limited offensively. Toppin looked good on his dunks but the vast majority of them were uncontested. Harris had flashes where he looked good on the move in the paint but whatever injury he had midseason slowed his progress. Harris defensive play improved form his freshman season. Walker was a little inconsitent and out of sync with his teammeates sometimes but showed some nice flashes of court vision and hustle and had a decent shooting percentage while being an unselfish player . DJ redshirted.

Going into 20-21 we have Fatts who is a legitimate star player, Martin who I grade as a consistent starter talent, Sheppard who is likely to be a solid starter giving us three starter level backcourt players similar to last year (including Tyrese as backcourt). We have the Mitchell twins, Jermaine and Walker from amongst we hope to realize some strong play in the paint. I think with this group we have the potential to control the backboards and contest shots at the rim. I like Jermaine facing the basket on the offensive end of the court. I like the idea of Fatts feeding Mitchell underneath if he has good hands which I expect for a 4 star center we could be dangerous. We have three incoming freshman guards all with decent size from which to develop some depth in the backcourt. I love Jeff Dowtin but he was not the perfect fit next to Fatts especially with Tyrese being a bit of a ball stopper. I think the upcoming group of guards just might fit better together. DJ might play a little this year on the wing and shoud surely be deployed occasionally against the zone.

When I say loaded its in reference to talent and not as much for their performance to date. We also have a coaching staff that makes good in game adjustments. I'm also biased. If the coaching staff gets them to play tough defense (where Malik is a major addition) we should be very good and we should have more offensive firepower than Cox's first two squads. Tyrese and Jacob took a lot of three pointers and made a lousy percentage. I think we will have better shooters firing them up next year.
You might be mildly disappointed then. We have 1 player(Fatts if he returns) and no one anyone here has ever seen play. So loaded is a loaded term.