2014-15 Schedule

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: 2014-15 Schedule

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yes. Until last season, media/coaches both thought that nothing could go on the record following these scrimmages. They've always been closed while they're held, but last year was the first that media/coaches learned that they could talk openly about them after the fact.

Let's call them closed scrimmages.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

in closed practices we heard that last years team was "blowing out by 40" the team that preceded it. so again, beyond pointless to read into these.

That said it's awesome to at least talk about basketball being played. 11 days until the real thing!!
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Sorry, BM, the analogy is not the same. This was a scrimmage against a real team. Losing to Manhattan is not a good omen - a team Blue Ribbon thinks highly of Manhattan in the Metro Atlantic, but ranks them third behind Iona and Quinnipiac. The Jaspers have two returning starters and lost three starters - the three top scorers - from last year's team which went to the NCAA.
Last edited by Obadiah 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Obes still wouldn't read much into it. You have no idea how DH approached the scrimmage. I do not think anything that happened can be seen as an omen unless you actually saw the action.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

BAR, I agree. I used the word omen loosely. I am still a bit gun shy from last season. Besides I also get nervous when I read all the gushing about our players before they actually perform in a real game.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Often cited that ppl don't understand or know what Hurley is trying to do. Like the beginning of last season.

I hope that is something that doesn't continue, when the season starts I hope DH just tries to win all the games.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

rodfromcranston wrote:RoadyJay is in danger of being put on double secret probation,
by Dan Hurley!

LOL.. Why? Because I don't get the concept of a closed/secret scrimmage? It's nothing against the coaching staff, everyone is doing it, I just think it's not good for the customer (the fans).

I want to watch these games, it's that's simple.

Also, I disagree that they are running plays that they otherwise would want to keep under wraps. The fact is they are 15-20 practices in and probably don't have much special sauce in whatever they are running. I don't think there are really any secrets that would be learned and provide an advantage for someone.

Do preseason games in the NFL give competitors an advantage? I don't think so. But people go to those games. Maybe I'm in the minority but I would attend any exhibition.

Bottom line, as a consumer I want to see more games, not less.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Teams have to be allowed some time behind closed doors. As a consumer, I want my team to be as prepared as possible for the games that do count. Why should I care how they get ready for them? Another way of looking at this is that you get the same amount of games either way, so would you prefer they didn't have these scrimmages just so you don't miss anything? That seems a little myopic.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

The unfortunate thing is when people look at the outcome of a scrimmage like it was a game. Thinking a winner means anything is foolish. There was no "game plan" for these things, just "okay this possession we are gonna work on this set" type of deal. Whoever brought up comparison to nfl joint practices could not have been more correct.

In the words of BB,
We're on to Pace.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I can only imagine what this site will be like after URI, as expected, loses its 2nd closed scrimmage at Harvard.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

As Obie said, I'm not thrilled to lose to a lower level team. Not good, but yes who knows how Dan played it.

Harvard should be a good test, as they are expected to win the Ivy and Dance again.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

They can get ready however they would like, and I think they absolutely should have these scrimmages, even if I can't watch. It's great to go up against an opponent and not your teammates. As DiSano said, get some burn.

I'll get over it. I'd just like to see these games and I would pay to see them.

Again, I don't see what is the need for this to be secret. We pretty much know the major happenings during the game now anyway, thanks to Twitter.

Of course teams need time behind closed doors, no problem with this, but again, tell me what harm there is in allowing media/fans. These are fairly organized games with D1 refs, etc. This isn't practice. Why not allow media and fans? Just makes little sense to me.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

just read that Manhattan piece.

We were down 20 at one point? I'm not liking that one bit.

Rusty for sure, but the opposition was in the same boat.

Excuses anyone?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I'll save my hand wringing for the real season.
This is where Hurley proves he can coach his guys that he's
brought in.
Saving my conclusions until the product shows itself over the course of the season.
Obviously, getting smoked by Manhattan isn't good, regardless of the spin.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:I can only imagine what this site will be like after URI, as expected, loses its 2nd closed scrimmage at Harvard.
I am in favor of banning anyone that expresses any concern over these scrimmages unless there is an injury. In all seriousness: nothing could matter less. It's like a scrimmage at the end of a practice only using different players. It's not even as serious as a preseason/exhibition game.

(Note: nobody will actually be banned for expressing concern. I'm just offering my personal opinion, not any sort of fiat.)
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

TruePoint wrote:
RF1 wrote:I can only imagine what this site will be like after URI, as expected, loses its 2nd closed scrimmage at Harvard.
I am in favor of banning anyone that expresses any concern over these scrimmages unless there is an injury. In all seriousness: nothing could matter less. It's like a scrimmage at the end of a practice only using different players. It's not even as serious as a preseason/exhibition game.

(Note: nobody will be banned for expressing concern. I'm just offering my personal opinion, not any sort of fiat.)
Have to be fair. If Rhody went in and beat a team at a power five conference (whatever the equivalent of the difference between Rhody and URI is) and won the first half by 25 points before putting in the scrubs, there would be some good vibes about it. It won't matter in two weeks or two months but this is when the board is most hungry for any spec of information about progress. And it's probably worth a little discussion on a monday without real games.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Maybe Dan was playing the scrubs most of the time. Ha ha.

Seriously, something tells me TP was directing that last post toward me.

As Rod just said, we'll wait until the games count. But it's still a little disconcerting anyway.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Gonebarongone wrote:
TruePoint wrote:

(Note: nobody will be banned for expressing concern. I'm just offering my personal opinion, not any sort of fiat.)
Have to be fair. If Rhody went in and beat a team at a power five conference (whatever the equivalent of the difference between Rhody and URI is) and won the first half by 25 points before putting in the scrubs, there would be some good vibes about it. It won't matter in two weeks or two months but this is when the board is most hungry for any spec of information about progress. And it's probably worth a little discussion on a monday without real games.
I agree with most of this. I think diehard fans can't help but get psyched up or depressed, depending on the results of scrimmages and exhibition games, even though time has shown there is almost no correlation between those results and regular season results. Like that time Syracuse lost to a D-II team.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We'll forget about any of this if we play well to start the season.

That's basically it.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Gonebarongone wrote:
TruePoint wrote:

I honestly would not care. This is like getting worked up because the Red Sox lost a split squad spring training game against the Toledo Mud Hens.

Rambone I wasn't directing at anyone, just a general preemptive pushback against anyone who might get bent out of shape. I feel like for someone to fret about what little info we got about the scrimmage, they would have to be absolutely desperate for something to worry about. I just don't put it past this board because it is such a Rhody thing to do.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Can you blame us, TP? :P

This year is supposed to be IT, the year we finally turn things around with actually winning games. No more moral victories. We've had way too many of them.

Last year was supposed to be it, but too many bad things happened which couldn't be overcome.

So far, everybody [team wise] is on board with no issues. Time to get it done. Nothing else will suffice.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I am sure everyone will feel that all is right after the blowout of Pace in the real game 1.

Seriously, our first three games (two exhibitions and one non D1 team in Game 1) are probably not going to tell us a whole lot.
BPR2010
ARD

Unread post by BPR2010 »

While it doesn't really matter in the full picture of the season, it is something that on a forum or team board that should be mentioned/discussed. Isn't that the point of all of us being here? Now, I'm not saying it should be broken down like a regular season game that counts and we spend money on. I'm not saying that it should be judged and lead to assumptions of how the season should/will go. But I do think it has relevance on a board like this, AND has relevance within the team and coaching staff.

I'm sure Hurley and the staff LOVE this. It gives them somewhat of a measuring stick, and a lot of things to view on film and apply to their practices. It does matter in that sense. Plus, it gives us something to chirp about in the down time before the REAL season starts. 10 more days....
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Was it a scrimmage or was it a closed exhibition game? From when I played, there's a helluva difference. Scrimmaging meant coaching interruptions, teaching moments from both sides, etc., Sure, scrimmages were intense, but they weren't even exhibition/pre-season games.
I'm not sure that anyone who has contributed to the board knows what the set-up was, etc., let alone have video and/or a stat sheet to share. I haven't read of any real insights about this "secret scrimmage," except So-and-So played well, and so on….
I'll wait to judge until I see the team with my own eyes.
Last edited by bressler3south 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

One thing that I hope does come out of this exhibition is that the players and fans reflect and not blindly buy into all the preseason hype. That was a problem last year and the coaching staff certainly seems to have gotten that message as they are not raising expectations as they previously did. The games are won on the court. This young team has a lot to prove. They have to bring it each and every game and play a full 40 minutes. They will need to limit turnovers, rebound, play hard d, take high % shots, make free throws, and close out games. They clearly did not do enough of that last season. Expectations and reputations do not win games - hard productive work does.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

This so true. We tend to forget that this team is still young, and the backcourt especially so. Our backcourt should be the strength of the team in time.

Terrell and Garrett are going to be huge factors for us, but even as talented as they seem, it will take a while to come together.

Starting with the Nebraska game, I think we're expecting us to just roll through everybody. Not likely to happen for a while.

Hopefully we don't all look for a bridge to jump off while we take some lumps early.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Not sure anyone should expect a well oiled machine coming out of the gates. Likely our 4 best players have a season or less of Div 1 basketball (EC, Hassy, Terrell, Garrett). Our 5th best player is a 5th year senior (Gil), but then our 6th best is coming off an entire year off with only 1 season under his belt (Hare). So 5 of our top 6 players are SO or FR. It was reported Dunn didn't look great against Harvard, also coming off a year of rust, but he was a mcDonald's AA mind you. Net net, I wouldn't expect this team to perform like an experienced and well seasoned bunch for a while. This is why Dan would love Biggie to at least be a stabilizing and consistent force at PG, if he is forced to right away throw a FR PG into a lineup that is already quite young and inexperienced together that adds another wrinkle and the growing pains that come with it.

While we should have heightened expectations this year we also need to continue to practice patience...only a fool would think the Wins are not going to come with the talent we have, just might not be instant. 18-22 wins is my range, PG play to me is the biggest factor whether we are at the low or high end of that.

Also all of this skepticism or concern is based on innuendo from a Manhattan message board. So its a closed scrimmage and they took their starters out? Doubt it.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Yea i mean I know it means nothing to the season but losing to Manhattan stinks
GO RAMS
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Last season URI shot poorly from the field and the FT line. We also committed turnovers way more than average and our defensive play did not produce many steals. This has to change significantly for the Rams to see meaningful improvement in performance and winning close games. What we have to learn from these scrimmages is how we fared on putting the ball in the hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote:Yea i mean I know it means nothing to the season but losing to Manhattan stinks
It isn't good or bad. It is irrelevant. Plus I don't believe they even keep score in a way similar to a real game.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

I hope when they come out, there is a recipe for success. DH first year the team played to a strategy and it was compelling.

Hopefully this year they learn how they can compete and do that early. They can get better at a strategy but please come out with an early one. One that involves taking care of the basketball.

Don't have to be a finished product but every guy having at least 2 TOs is the WORST.
Ram1019
ARD

Unread post by Ram1019 »

TO's was always my biggest concern going into this season. This will improve with time and experience.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I disagree, I dont think we had much of a strategy in DHs first two years...unless you consider "hang in there" a strategy. We were the little engine that could so I can see how that's compelling, but we were talent deficient. That is not the case now so DH can actually implement a style of play and tempo....however that is largely dependent on good/great PG play. That is issue #1, issue #2 is perimeter shooting. All other facets I think we will be solid. I believe it will come with some growing pains, but hopefully ugly wins instead of bad losses.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

And that new/actual style of play and tempo will be new even to the returning players, so growing pains are inevitable.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Yea I'm being nice to the DH hard liners. Bottom line is the first year the team hung in games and tried not to GIVE stuff away. Last year guys would give the ball away as if that doesn't matter in basketball.

Hoping that they understand a team only has to win by a single point, giving the ball away consistently 15+ times makes the game a little more difficult.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

BPR2010 wrote:Also, for what it's worth...

Good to hear that these two big guys were singled out as playing well. The guards will be fine. Hassan will be fine. We were down 25 at the half ended up losing by 8. Manhattan is a solid team and potential ncaa participant again this year.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I couldn't care less about the score of the scrimmage.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I take out only one thing that I have read about the scrimmage, 51 free throws. The refs, as they have been instructed to do, are now calling things much tighter away from the basket than they did in the past. Dan wants to play the style he loves to play, which is intense pressure on the ball all over the court, very physical defense. Once the real games start, how tight will the refs be calling, and will it affect the way we can play defense? Will the guards who are pressuring all over the court be called for early fouls? I know moving the feet is a big part of it. Terrell is called a very physical defender. I don't think that means he is moving his feet. Garrett plays the same way. Same with Biggie. I love this style of defense. Let 'em play!
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

Billyboy78 wrote:I take out only one thing that I have read about the scrimmage, 51 free throws. The refs, as they have been instructed to do, are now calling things much tighter away from the basket than they did in the past. Dan wants to play the style he loves to play, which is intense pressure on the ball all over the court, very physical defense. Once the real games start, how tight will the refs be calling, and will it affect the way we can play defense? Will the guards who are pressuring all over the court be called for early fouls? I know moving the feet is a big part of it. Terrell is called a very physical defender. I don't think that means he is moving his feet. Garrett plays the same way. Same with Biggie. I love this style of defense. Let 'em play!
I think Dan may have asked the refs to call the slightest touch foul. This way the players get used to playing actual defense with their feet and hips and stop relying on hand checking which was a point of emphasis early last year.

As for the scrimmage itself, different coaches approach these different ways. You have some coaches who treat it like a real game and only play to their team's strengths and there are those who place their kids in new, different and maybe uncomfortable situations and evaluate if they can handle and improve in different roles. Who knows, TJ and Reischel may have handled breaking the Jasper's intense press which they are known for, areas both players struggled last year. You may need these guys at some point to help break VCU's press because of injury and foul trouble.
'No Mercy.'
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

At the beginning of last season the refs were calling everything really tight, there were games where 50, even 60 FT's were attempted.

As the season wore on, that happened less and less, as officials started backing off calling everything.

Hopefully they have a better handle on the new hand check rules this season.

With the defense Dan likes to play, we're going to get called for more fouls than a lot of teams, hopefully our added depth this year solves that problem.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:I couldn't care less about the score of the scrimmage.
This and anybody who had ever participated in a scrimmage knows the "score" is not a real score anyways. You typically have coaches stopping play and running something over again, you experiment with different looks on offense and especially defense to get things on tape. It just isn't a thing where the score matters, which is why in many cases they don't even keep it. Who knows if they actually did keep it this time or where any supposed "score of the scrimmage" comes from.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

TP, I get what you're saying, but 25 down in the first half?

Whatever it was they were doing, that's not good in my book.

Maybe our freshmen got taken to school, maybe not. Manhattan supposedly has 3 new starters, so it's not like they have an all junior/senior team out there.

In any event, I'm sure they learned something from it. Dan hasn't commented on it so far as I can tell.

When is the Harvard scrimmage?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Where is down 25 even coming from? If one atom of my being believed that they were legitimately down 25 at the half to the Celtics in an actual competitive game I would be worried, never mind Manhattan. I just think that is the least believable thing I've ever heard, and if it is an accurate number then the reason for it must be that we only played defense for the first 20 minutes. I just assign zero credibility to it as an actual barometer of anything.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

The 2007 Patriots went 0-4 in the preseason. They followed that up with a 16-0 regular season.

The 2008 Lions went 4-0 in the preseason. They followed that up with an 0-16 regular season.

This scrimmage, not even a game...as TP said, is not good, not bad...just irrelevant. Lose to Pace and we can all jump off the bridge - but if I, the most bridge-jumpiest fan from week to week in this fanbase, am literally not moved in either direction from the result of a closed scrimmage, than none of you more rational people should be feeling anything either.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Blue Man wrote: This scrimmage, not even a game...as TP said, is not good, not bad...just irrelevant. Lose to Pace and we can all jump off the bridge - but if I, the most bridge-jumpiest fan from week to week in this fanbase, am literally not moved in either direction from the result of a closed scrimmage, than none of you more rational people should be feeling anything either.
Haha my favorite post in awhile right here. Love it Blue Man!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

maybe we tried a full court press for the first time ever and they shredded it....maybe DH juggled lineups like a hockey team and had them going at 110mph to see how folks reacted to an uptempo style. who knows, which is why its impossible to evaluate this scrimmage in any way.
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

A very interesting thread on how some random observations from a closed scrimmage are causing a wide array of speculation on the Rams. Of course, when there is no other tangible proof of where we stand, you have nothing else to go on. Most interesting is how many agree that we are a young team with our nucleus only having a year or less of experience, yet many of those same people are expecting this to be the year we finally get over the hump. I'm taking the "cautious optimistic" approach with this team until I'm actually able to see how our talent plays together in a system that Hurley now thinks he has the athletes to run. On thing for sure is that we'll absolutely know where we stand as a team before we turn the calendar to December.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Shinze88 wrote:A very interesting thread on how some random observations from a closed scrimmage are causing a wide array of speculation on the Rams. Of course, when there is no other tangible proof of where we stand, you have nothing else to go on. Most interesting is how many agree that we are a young team with our nucleus only having a year or less of experience, yet many of those same people are expecting this to be the year we finally get over the hump. I'm taking the "cautious optimistic" approach with this team until I'm actually able to see how our talent plays together in a system that Hurley now thinks he has the athletes to run. On thing for sure is that we'll absolutely know where we stand as a team before we turn the calendar to December.

I agree. Talk of 20+ wins and an NCAA bid seem a bit premature to me. Everyone was excited by the hype entering last season and predicting a breakout year. It didn't happen that way as the improvement was much less than anticipated. That is why I am being cautiously optimistic this year. I think we will see improvement but it may again be incremental. This is a very young team that does not yet know how to win. Their tendency to miss free throws and fade down the stretch in games last year concerns me until I am shown otherwise. There is certainly talent there but it may take a while for it to all come together and play to its potential.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Considering we have hardly any credible information (were we really behind by 25 points?) on this scrimmage, then we should't go overboard on the analysis. The only thing that counts is actual game performance.

Right now we are grasping for any info that indicates the quality of this team and first impressions can be meaningful and that includes exhibition games which do provide information. For example, last year we played a good S. Connecticut State team in an exhibition game in which the Rams struggled, were behind by one at the half and only led by 5 with 10 min. left in game before winning by 17. S. Conn had played UConn a few nights earlier with the Huskies out in front from the tip-off, leading by 20 at the half and ending up with a 30 point win. Comparing the two games was a harbinger of what developed in regular season and was consistent with the eventual outcomes - the Rams had another losing season and UConn won the national championship.

This year with no exhibition game, the first real test will be against Pace which unlike S. Connecticut is a bad D2 team. In a Northeast Ten poll, Pace is rated just ahead of AIC, a team which UMass blasted in an exhibition match 120-71, leading big from the very beginning. So how URI fares against Pace can be compared to how UMass did against AIC. URI winning big will tell us only a little on how we stack up versus UMass, but if the Rams struggle against Pace, then one has to conclude UMass has a better team.