General Recruiting Discussion/Comments 2022 and before

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
FDshoes
ARD

Re: General Recruiting Discussion/Comments

Unread post by FDshoes »

Appears Geeter & Zeigler are buddies too
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice working the Michigan connections TJ !!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Just saw that we offered another Kid from St. John's in DC. Chris Watson, 6'6" guard going into his junior year. A teammate of Ish.
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Legend Geeter would instantly top the all time name list.
If Legend was a 5'9" PG he could be "Skeeter Geeter". But now we need a recruit with the first name Larry so we can name the duo "Larry (and the) Legend".
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Grad transfer PF Justyn Mutts (Delaware) just committed Virginia Tech
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

All the fans of cold calling players on this board must love Grasso's approach:

https://www.zagsblog.com/2020/06/16/why ... in-one-day
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Wow busy guy, if you throw enough stuff at the wall something may stick.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 3 years ago All the fans of cold calling players on this board must love Grasso's approach:

https://www.zagsblog.com/2020/06/16/why ... in-one-day
Like Clark Griswold's boss picking up the phone in the Christmas Vacation movie. "Get me somebody, anybody. And get me somebody while I'm waiting!"
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'm surprised we're offering so many high school players.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago I'm surprised we're offering so many high school players.
These offers mean very little. Rhody still needs to pursue the high school player. I would think 50% of their recruits going forward will be transfers though. I could see 1 or 2 high school/prep recruits per year. One of the Assistant Coaches told me that high school recruiting is not where Rhody will focus and to some degree it’s a waste of time. I think they will spend less time on it.
“We will be good when we are good.”
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Rhody83 wrote: 3 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago I'm surprised we're offering so many high school players.
These offers mean very little. Rhody still needs to pursue the high school player. I would think 50% of their recruits going forward will be transfers though. I could see 1 or 2 high school/prep recruits per year. One of the Assistant Coaches told me that high school recruiting is not where Rhody will focus and to some degree it’s a waste of time. I think they will spend less time on it.
Yes - but they do need to build up some name recognition and relationships with guys they may be targeting as a transfer later. So you cannot completely abandon it.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Yes, not only building relationships with the players but also the high school and prep coaching staffs and continuing that pipeline.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Disagree...once they pass the 'one free transfer' rule...I'm thinking the HS recruiting will be of little value. Get a kid out of high school that shows a chance of being anywhere near as good as you hope he will be...and he be gone.

#playtheportallikeaGM
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
Yes - but they do need to build up some name recognition and relationships with guys they may be targeting as a transfer later. So you cannot completely abandon it.
I agree and their is also the chance to find some guys who will be loyal to the program for four years. It's not impossible.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

DeanDome88 wrote: 3 years ago
rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
I agree and their is also the chance to find some guys who will be loyal to the program for four years. It's not impossible.
These two statements are true and I'm sure Cox knows it as well. It's not as if we're going to abandon recruiting HS players.

Think of it in budgets, up until now it was say 70% total effort allocated to recruiting HS players,
this year they were forced to allocate more like 40% to HS and 60% to transfers on the fly,
so next year they prepare to budget 30% to HS players and 70% to transfers

Then we win a lot and start getting the recruits from HS that are only here for a few years and transfer to the NBA vis a vis the draft!!!
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

Talk about reshaping a program. In a matter of weeks, David Cox transformed Rhode Island into one of the top landing spots for transfer talent. His new way of thinking clearly panned out, and now its just a question of whether his talented collection of newcomers buys into the bigger picture.

The Rams started the spring out in the biggest way possible by landing the Mitchell brothers, Makhi and Makhel. They are former Rivals150 prospects and were expected to be forces for Maryland before deciding to leave mid-year. Another former four-star prospect, Jalen Carey, joined Rhode Island after two years at Syracuse. Towson standout Allen Betrand, who scored in double figures against Florida and Xavier last season, is also in the fold. Finally, Malik Martin, the younger brother of former URI standout Hassan Martin, will follow in his older sibling’s footsteps.

All five players could sit out portions of next season, but URI fans should be plenty optimistic about the years ahead.
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com ... nsfer-wars
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

giovanni wrote: 3 years ago
Slava Ukraini!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice pub baby !!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Anyone have any idea when we might be hearing about any of the waiver applications? I believe, per this forum, they were submitted a couple of weeks ago.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Running Ram wrote: 3 years ago Anyone have any idea when we might be hearing about any of the waiver applications? I believe, per this forum, they were submitted a couple of weeks ago.
Probably December
giovanni
Carlton Owens

giovanni
Carlton Owens

Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I imagine the recruiting with a transfer waiver rule in place to look like current high school recruiting. Some kids stay at schools. Some kids go to another school and some seem to play at as many schools as they can.

I think It helps URI because URI has some things to offer regardless of what negative people claim here and the transfer player gives you more of a look at a guy and a chance to get a guy with a higher pedigree. I think more Iversons/Jalen Careys and less outerbridges/Matt butlers.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 3 years ago I imagine the recruiting with a transfer waiver rule in place to look like current high school recruiting. Some kids stay at schools. Some kids go to another school and some seem to play at as many schools as they can.

I think It helps URI because URI has some things to offer regardless of what negative people claim here and the transfer player gives you more of a look at a guy and a chance to get a guy with a higher pedigree. I think more Iversons/Jalen Careys and less outerbridges/Matt butlers.
I agree with this idea as long as we are still getting some good HS recruits. Leggett and Berry definitely fit that mold.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Where did the player from Holy Cross wind up?
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

eli#10 wrote: 3 years ago Where did the player from Holy Cross wind up?
UNC Wilmington
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Abdou Tsimbila was a 3* PF/C 2019 prospect from the DMV area who originally signed a LOI with Penn State. He was supposed to enroll there in January of 2020 but that never happened. His status is still somewhat unclear and has not been listed on their roster. They may of cut ties with him and he may be available. Someone to keep an eye on especially since that is a very strong recruiting area for us.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 3 years ago I imagine the recruiting with a transfer waiver rule in place to look like current high school recruiting. Some kids stay at schools. Some kids go to another school and some seem to play at as many schools as they can.

The “some seem to play at as many schools as they can” doesn’t make sense. The new transfer rule will be for first time transfers only. They would sit out a year with a second transfer. Unsure how the Grad Transfer will work if a player already had one transfer without sitting. I can see a modification to the Grad Transfer rule for someone that already transferred snd didn’t sit.
“We will be good when we are good.”
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Grad transfers will always have immediate eligibility regardless if they had previously transferred. Once they received their degree they would no longer be under the NCAA restrictions on sitting out, the one time transfer no sit rule would only apply to undergrads.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Surprised we haven't offered Kyle Filipowski, 2022 PF/C or stretch 4 from Ma. Already one of the top rated players in New England and getting a lot of national attention.
Rhody19/21
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Rhody19/21 »

938E1F2E-3316-4A28-BC77-3A28FD99CEB2.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

It could be a long wait, in the meantime many bigs with immediate eligibility (grad transfers, jucos, and freshman) have been committing elsewhere in recent weeks. I hoped we had interest in Taurean Thompson but he just committed to Detroit. Hopefully our staff has a backup plan in place, just in case our players aren't granted waivers or no decisions until after school starts. There are still several quality front court players available but not sure how much longer they will stay on the board.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago It could be a long wait, in the meantime many bigs with immediate eligibility (grad transfers, jucos, and freshman) have been committing elsewhere in recent weeks. I hoped we had interest in Taurean Thompson but he just committed to Detroit. Hopefully our staff has a backup plan in place, just in case our players aren't granted waivers or no decisions until after school starts. There are still several quality front court players available but not sure how much longer they will stay on the board.
They have a backup plan.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

2020 5* center Makur Maker just committed to Howard University, rather than go pro. Unbelievable pickup for them, getting one of the top prospects in the country and #2 rated center.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Will be interesting to see who follows Makur to Howard. Howard won only 4 games last season but things are certainly looking up.

https://sports.yahoo.com/2020-five-star ... 17057.html
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Nm
Last edited by ramster 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

He is clearly making a statement, I applaud him. Earlier in the year, it was thought he would go the G- League route before announcing vey recently his final 4 schools: Kentucky, UCLA, Memphis, and of course Howard.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good for the little school
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

TJ will be a head coach some day !!!
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

Manhattan transfer Pauly Paulicap season highlight tape.

Harris and Paulicap would be a very capable frontcourt.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Yes, if we get Pauly Paulicap that would be huge, not sure if there is any interest from either side at this point.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow just watched his highlights kid is a great shot blocker and can score down low what were his stats at Manhattan???
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

This past season he averaged: 10.6 pts/ 6.6 rebs/ 2.1 blocks per game
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Maryland has also reached out, haven't seen or heard that we are even in the mix.