The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by Rhody83 »

In article today regarding Richardson’s plea:

The NCAA has confirmed a Yahoo Sports report that it has begun investigating allegations that have arisen from the federal case.
“We will be good when we are good.”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Throw the book at Book.

Had to say that lol.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago The NCAA was told to hold off until the FBI case and trials are over. It will be interesting to see if the NCAA does anything after the April trials. I don’t have a good feeling that they will.
Nope, NCAA can go in now. They are more corrupt than the schools.

https://sports.yahoo.com/feds-give-ncaa ... 02043.html
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago In article today regarding Richardson’s plea:

The NCAA has confirmed a Yahoo Sports report that it has begun investigating allegations that have arisen from the federal case.
RhodyKyle, you must have skipped a few posts. Look up on the page :D
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

I bet it's my attention to detail that impresses you the most.
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 5 years ago Pure fun fantasy time.

Let’s say Rhody had hired Pitino. Let’s fantasize that we are 11-1 top 20 and Alford got fired. Pitino reputation is somewhat restored courtesy of us. We would already be in total chaos as Rick maneuvered to get the UCLA gig and leave us twisting.....

That’s the reason we can’t dance with the devil a 2nd time. Harrick helped us get our nice new building but we couldn’t do that type of rodeo again.

Hiring Pitino would have been a nightmare and the end of my following the program. Pitino is a lying POS cheater. Harrick, at the time URI hired him, was not comparable. Harrick only came close to Rick after all the UGA dirt (after URI) came to light.
I have no doubt Pitino has cheated that being said to try and say Harrick was not as bad is ridiculous.He put 3 out of the 4 schools he coached at on probation and we all know had anyone taken the time to check on him at Pepperdine he would have 100 percent record.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The severity of the violations can't be compared.

Harrick was no angel, but Pitino? Far worse.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

woodennickel1 wrote: 5 years ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 5 years ago Pure fun fantasy time.

Let’s say Rhody had hired Pitino. Let’s fantasize that we are 11-1 top 20 and Alford got fired. Pitino reputation is somewhat restored courtesy of us. We would already be in total chaos as Rick maneuvered to get the UCLA gig and leave us twisting.....

That’s the reason we can’t dance with the devil a 2nd time. Harrick helped us get our nice new building but we couldn’t do that type of rodeo again.

Hiring Pitino would have been a nightmare and the end of my following the program. Pitino is a lying POS cheater. Harrick, at the time URI hired him, was not comparable. Harrick only came close to Rick after all the UGA dirt (after URI) came to light.
I have no doubt Pitino has cheated that being said to try and say Harrick was not as bad is ridiculous.He put 3 out of the 4 schools he coached at on probation and we all know had anyone taken the time to check on him at Pepperdine he would have 100 percent record.

Pitino in 2018 was far worse than Harrick in 1997 (the times when URI was hiring a new head coach). Anyone that says otherwise is not grounded in reality and fact. Comparisons about the two NOW side by side in 2018 however may have some merit given the totality of their careers and infractions.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

The absolute moral reprehensibility of Pitino is on another planet from Harrick. Harrick “played the game” of big time college hoops, like many coaches do but is still generally sleazy compared to normal people in normal professions - there is no arguing that. Rick Pitino did all that PLUS he is a truly gross human being. There is more to it than listing out NCAA infractions side-by-side. I wouldn’t allow Rick Pitino near my children and would be mortified to have my university associated with him. Harrick was conventionally dirty in the way many college coaches are, but more or less a normal, nice, decent guy; Rick Pitino is an actually dirty person and a piece of garbage.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

The absolute moral reprehensibility of Pitino is on another planet from Harrick. Harrick “played the game” of big time college hoops, like many coaches do but is still generally sleazy compared to normal people in normal professions - there is no arguing that. Rick Pitino did all that PLUS he is a truly gross human being. There is more to it than listing out NCAA infractions side-by-side. I wouldn’t allow Rick Pitino near my children and would be mortified to have my university associated with him. Harrick was conventionally dirty in the way many college coaches are, but more or less a normal, nice, decent guy; Rick Pitino is an actually dirty person and a piece of garbage.

I agree Harrick was sleazy and amoral like a used car salesman. A fast talking con-man who could flat out charm the shine off an apple and sell ice cubes to eskimo's. He could flat out coach , but he felt the rules didn't apply to him. The Lamar Odom recruiting kind of iced that for me.
Lamar was on the cover of SI but not only for being the #1-2 recruit. But for being the poster child of everything that was wrong with
college basketball recruiting at the time. He was signed with Las Vegas and Tark the Shark was very similar to Harrick.
Maybe even a little worse. It came out that he had arranged for someone to take Lamar's SAT's for him because Lamar had failed
repeatedly to pass them. Lamar was a good kid who was exploited by big the time college sports machine. And Harrick was one
of the drivers of that bus.

But Pitino is sleazy like a pedophile, or a human trafficker. Absolute slime. Just a whole other level than Harrick.
But there are people on this board who were standing in line to sign him up when Dan bolted.
Trade your soul for a shot at the big time. As long as you win. Absolutely disgusting.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I wonder if any other coaches thought of this “new” drill
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago I wonder if any other coaches thought of this “new” drill
Maybe this is Ian's first time to a basketball practice?

For some reason, I thought of my high school basketball coach who had us run what felt like a million laps around the gym with the heat blasting for "conditioning" and if you stopped to get water (me) you had to run extra laps. Needless to say, she was awful in general. I was in 10th grade and that was it for me. I would have preferred the 100 free throws.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago I wonder if any other coaches thought of this “new” drill
That seems like a tremendous waste of practice time, given whole-team practice time limits.
Last edited by ace 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Would have to agree. This must be a 1 time thing to account for their poor FT shooting to date, but if mechanics are flawed you can repeat the same action 1,000,000 times and it isn't going to fix anything. And you never shoot more than 2 free throws in a row, so shooting 100 is not game condition and won't translate.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I always made sure my teams shot free throws in simulated game conditions (players on the foul line for example) at the end of practice often after running a few laps in addition to routine practice foul shooting. Poor performance was often punished with more running. Can’t shoot em well on tired practice legs you’ll shoot bricks at end of game crunch time. Also constantly monitored all my players for consistent routine after making them explain and practice their routine.

It’s really quite simple nothing I came up with I just stole it all from other coaches....

I never considered the 100 at a time practice trick, be curious to see if it helps Cooley’s team....my thought would be that technique breaks down after more that 25 strokes.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Did Cooley go the full simulation route and have people in Providence booing them when they did this?
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

hrstrat kind of touched on the point I was going to make... doesn't it make more sense to have players shoot 'em at the *end* of practice rather than the beginning? This almost feels like a dig at fans that have been bitching about FT shooting.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Yes, they should be taken at the end of practice when legs are tired.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The fact that the PC media thought this was newsworthy is laughable. Every college team practices FTs every day in some fashion.

In the last few days Cooley has been reverved as a great coach because he made a big deal about playing his “five toughest guys” in the 2nd half and he had his team practice FTs to start practice. This guy is a basketball genius :D
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

UCLA Board of Regents reject Pitno option.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamzagori ... 89cd5d7b53
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago UCLA Board of Regents reject Pitno option.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamzagori ... 89cd5d7b53
Not a surprise. It is what I would expect any respectable school to do.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Ed Cooley has gone to the tournament 5 straight years. His practice habits seem to be working.
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

UCLA wins 3rd straight since Alford fired beating Oregon on the road in OT being down an amazing 9 points with a minute to go.
Could Murry Bartow, interim HC, be the man?
His father, Gene, was HC for the Bruins.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.espn.com ... atform=amp
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody15 wrote: 5 years ago Ed Cooley has gone to the tournament 5 straight years. His practice habits seem to be working.
And maybe one day he'll actually win a game.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 5 years ago Ed Cooley has gone to the tournament 5 straight years. His practice habits seem to be working.
He has.
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody15 wrote: 5 years ago
He has.
All his NCAA appearances have been as coach of the Friars. He is 1-5 with his lone win over USC in 2016.

2014 #11 seed lost to #6 North Carolina 79-77
2015 #6 seed lost to #11 Dayton 66-53
2016 #9 seed beat #8 USC 70-69
2016 #9 seed lost to #1 North Carolina 85-66
2017 #11 seed lost to #11 USC 75-71 (First Four Play-in)
2018 #10 seed lost to #7 Texas A&M 73-69

URI actually has more NCAA Tournament wins this century than does PC (2 to 1) despite the Friars having seven appearances to Rhody's two. Since PC's joining the original Big East 40 years ago, the two schools have an equal number of NCAA Tournament wins (8) even though the Friars have participated more frequently (12-7). Since 1979, URI is 8-7 and PC 8-12 in the tournament.
Last edited by RF1 5 years ago, edited 6 times in total.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

He has.
He is 1-5 with his lone win over USC in 2016.

URI actually has more NCAA Tournament wins this century than does PC (2 to 1) despite the Friars having seven appearances to Rhody's two.
Correct, obviously can't disput that.

Adam914 said maybe one day he'll win a tournament game, when in face he actually has.
Go Rhody
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

He has.

URI actually has more NCAA Tournament wins this century than does PC (2 to 1) despite the Friars having seven appearances to Rhody's two.

Adam914 said maybe one day he'll win a tournament game, when in face he actually has.
Yeah yeah, I know...just can't pass up a chance to take a shot at PC.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Yeah yeah, I know...just can't pass up a chance to take a shot at PC.
This x 1,000
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Friar fans I know see Cooley as a great recruiter but not a good game coach.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Friar fans I know see Cooley as a great recruiter but not a good game coach.
Sounds like Rick Barnes 2.0...or as I called him at the time, the best 38 minute coach.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

steviep123 wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Friar fans I know see Cooley as a great recruiter but not a good game coach.
Sounds like Rick Barnes 2.0...or as I called him at the time, the best 38 minute coach.
For some reason, Cooley teams have always had the presence of the underdog, something that makes sense early on in his tenure but not so much in recent years. He has caught some tough breaks with eligibility, injuries, transfers, and suspensions, but at this point given the resources around him, I think it's ok to expect more. I've said before that I'm ok punting on this season because of the youth (5 out of the 9 key players in the rotation are freshmen/sophomores), and next year he'll hopefully only lose Jackson, and possibly return Holt as a 6th year (although unlikely) plus Greg Gantt as a Top 60 recruit. So if you have to take some lumps this year with the freshmen and sophomores to have them take that jump next season, so be it. But next season, neither depth nor experience should be an excuse. The next four years will tell the story, IMHO.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RJ, any idea what happened to Holt? He played the first 6 games and hasn’t played since. It would seem like he is done for the year.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Btw, Cooley was just named Rhode Island Man of the Year by GoLocalProv. I think that's hilarious.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago Btw, Cooley was just named Rhode Island Man of the Year by GoLocalProv. I think that's hilarious.
GoLocalProv is always hilarious. Nothing but click-bait joke. Knowing how it operates, some panel that was completely anonymous probably picked him as nothing it does ever seems to be attributed to named persons.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago RJ, any idea what happened to Holt? He played the first 6 games and hasn’t played since. It would seem like he is done for the year.
It wouldn't surprise me if they are playing for the 6th year. Early in the season, there was an article that came out talking about how Holt just felt fatigued and incapable of competing for more than a few minutes at a time. The quotes included "It’s a little of both, not having enough strength or stamina,” Holt said. “It’s kind of discouraging that my rehab has taken so long. The body heals from the inside out," as well as “I don’t know if I could play 15-20 minutes right now,” Holt said. “It’s hard to feel comfortable. It’s not too bad, even practicing. But it’s hard to get everything to feel right – my upper body, my lower body right now.” Now, he's not even suiting up, at least he didn't versus Villanova. Even early in the season, it was very clear in his limited minutes that he was not the same player.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years ago
For some reason, Cooley teams have always had the presence of the underdog, something that makes sense early on in his tenure but not so much in recent years. He has caught some tough breaks with eligibility, injuries, transfers, and suspensions, but at this point given the resources around him, I think it's ok to expect more. I've said before that I'm ok punting on this season because of the youth (5 out of the 9 key players in the rotation are freshmen/sophomores), and next year he'll hopefully only lose Jackson, and possibly return Holt as a 6th year (although unlikely) plus Greg Gantt as a Top 60 recruit. So if you have to take some lumps this year with the freshmen and sophomores to have them take that jump next season, so be it. But next season, neither depth nor experience should be an excuse. The next four years will tell the story, IMHO.
Punting??!! You can't "punt" as a fan. I would think it's just like playing video game football (I never have)...but, I would never punt.
I probably wouldn't win that much, but...not really "losing" anything by going for it every time either.
You can call it realistic, but, it's just a game and, to me, games are for getting away from the realistic :lol: :lol:

Rhody Rhody Rhody - to the NC-A-A-T!
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

My information is that Holt's illness was quite serious.....more so than has been indicated for privacy reasons.....i wish the young man well in the most important game...Life....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

There is a lot of parity in the Big East this year no really bad teams they will beat up on each other
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Ramulous wrote: 5 years ago My information is that Holt's illness was quite serious.....more so than has been indicated for privacy reasons.....i wish the young man well in the most important game...Life....
I know it was real serious. A friend of mine is very close to the PC program. Holt is a nice kid. I wish him the best. Found out tonight that PC has requested a medical redshirt for a 6th year. Holt isn’t dressing for games now.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Good assessment RJ. That’s how I feel about Rhody this year. Only senior is Preston (assuming Thompson returns) so experience and growth on the freshmen and Fatts will be key.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Too bad about Holt. Hate to see a serious illness derail someone. I wish him well.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago

I've said before that I'm ok punting on this season because of the youth (5 out of the 9 key players in the rotation are freshmen/sophomores), and next year he'll hopefully only lose Jackson, and possibly return Holt as a 6th year (although unlikely) plus Greg Gantt as a Top 60 recruit.
Punting??!! You can't "punt" as a fan. I would think it's just like playing video game football (I never have)...but, I would never punt.
It depends on your definition of "punt."
I'm ok with a young team taking a step back because of lack of experience.
I'm not ok with a young team taking a step back because of coaching gafs.
So as a fan, if PC doesn't make the tournament this year, I'm not going to be disappointed.
But, you hope to see the young players growing so next year, the team is back competing for a bid.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rick Barnes accomplishment this year with no Top 100 Ranked Players...

https://247sports.com/college/tennessee ... 128707340/
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago Rick Barnes accomplishment this year with no Top 100 Ranked Players...

Well there is hope for the future then. We are in the same boat just three years behind.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago
ramster wrote: 5 years ago Rick Barnes accomplishment this year with no Top 100 Ranked Players...

Well there is hope for the future then. We are in the same boat just three years behind.
Although Barnes, isn’t exactly a first-year Coach.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Here is an excellent article about Rick Barnes and how he has turned around the program at Tennessee after Mack Brown fired him at Texas
Tennessee plays South Carolina tonight at home 15.5 point favorites. The biggest game of the season is Saturday as Tennessee (22-1) plays AT #5 Ranked Kentucky (20-4) at 8pm on ESPN

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... l-uprising
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

three A10 coaches and an old friend and Jim Christian...

Reverse Hot Seat: Why These Embattled Coaches Should Stay
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... aches-stay
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

ace wrote: 5 years ago three A10 coaches and an old friend and Jim Christian...

Reverse Hot Seat: Why These Embattled Coaches Should Stay
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... aches-stay
I think Christian has done a really good job at BC he inherited a mess. Probably would have been a bubble team if Robinson had stayed .
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The AD at Texas Steve Patterson fired both Mack Brown and Rick Barnes just to be clear