The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by section(105) »

.......UCLA.......I think both Larry Brown and Jim Baron are available......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Pitino is too lol.....
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago Pitino is too lol.....
.......I thought Pitino took a coaching job in Europe.......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

So is Jerry Duh
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I just find UCLA interesting story now, for the human story element. Lotta questions (to me, anyway) about how they respond (because seems they were supposed to be good), do they keep the interim coach all year, possible rumor impacts to other schools, etc.. Those kinds of stories are more interesting to me than rating systems other than the regular overall #rankings.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago
Vitale has shown once again that he has no self respect. Pimping cheater Ricky Pitino. How low can one go?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Maybe so, but I wouldn't be surprised if they hire him.
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

If I was UCONN, I'd be worried. Andrea loves the beach,
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Think Pitino wants NBA think he is done with the college game
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 5 years ago If I was UCONN, I'd be worried. Andrea loves the beach,
If Dan Hurley looked at UCONN as his dream job and he was infatuated by the history of sucesss of the UCONN Basketball Program (comments about this were prevalent at the time), then imagine what the UCLA basketball program represents?

Geno’s Dominance at UCONN comes closest to UCLA dominance but does to. Match or exceed it

Any Coach who could put UCLA back on the map would be revered by the basketball world.

I would leave UCONN for UCLA. Maybe there is more to the Ollie case than we all know. Maybe an ugly vpcourt case would hurt recruiting. Maybe the grass wasn’t so much greener after All?

Have not seen Dan’s name in the ring yet, but if I was the UCLA AD I would have both Bobby and Dan on my list, well before some of the names I have seen already.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

DH isn’t going anywhere. Bob may be viable candidate.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago
Cameron_Dollar wrote: 5 years ago If I was UCONN, I'd be worried. Andrea loves the beach,
If Dan Hurley looked at UCONN as his dream job and he was infatuated by the history of sucesss of the UCONN Basketball Program (comments about this were prevalent at the time), then imagine what the UCLA basketball program represents?

Geno’s Dominance at UCONN comes closest to UCLA dominance but does to. Match or exceed it

Any Coach who could put UCLA back on the map would be revered by the basketball world.

I would leave UCONN for UCLA. Maybe there is more to the Ollie case than we all know. Maybe an ugly vpcourt case would hurt recruiting. Maybe the grass wasn’t so much greener after All?

Have not seen Dan’s name in the ring yet, but if I was the UCLA AD I would have both Bobby and Dan on my list, well before some of the names I have seen already.
I thought it was a sarcastic comment. Dan’s not leaving UCONN and Andrea isn’t leaving the Northeast.

Also no school is paying an $8 million buyout to get Dan.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reef wrote: 5 years ago Think Pitino wants NBA think he is done with the college game

More likely the college game is done with him.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Neither Hurley is ready for UCLA.....

You’re all just trolling here c’mon now get serious....

https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/la- ... story.html
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Pure fun fantasy time.

Let’s say Rhody had hired Pitino. Let’s fantasize that we are 11-1 top 20 and Alford got fired. Pitino reputation is somewhat restored courtesy of us. We would already be in total chaos as Rick maneuvered to get the UCLA gig and leave us twisting.....

That’s the reason we can’t dance with the devil a 2nd time. Harrick helped us get our nice new building but we couldn’t do that type of rodeo again.

Cox represents some continuity and integrity. Let’s enjoy where we are at.

Oh and who wants to try and convince me that Vitale and Pitino didn’t orchestrate that comment above.....

Here’s hoping the Bruins make a good hire.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 5 years ago Pure fun fantasy time.

Let’s say Rhody had hired Pitino. Let’s fantasize that we are 11-1 top 20 and Alford got fired. Pitino reputation is somewhat restored courtesy of us. We would already be in total chaos as Rick maneuvered to get the UCLA gig and leave us twisting.....

That’s the reason we can’t dance with the devil a 2nd time. Harrick helped us get our nice new building but we couldn’t do that type of rodeo again.

Hiring Pitino would have been a nightmare and the end of my following the program. Pitino is a lying POS cheater. Harrick, at the time URI hired him, was not comparable. Harrick only came close to Rick after all the UGA dirt (after URI) came to light.
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

RF1,
A few points to consider. I loved Jim Harrick. It was by far the two best consecutive years this program has ever experienced. He came to URI with more baggage than Pitino. He was fired from UCLA for severe recruiting violations. He got in bed with the Long Island Panthers AAU team, and hired Jerry D to babysit Lamar. Had he stayed we would have had Jason Kapono and Josh Kronke (Father Stan owns WalMart ). He left us much worse than when he got here, but I don't know anyone following our program at that time that would have traded those two years for anything. We were on Sportscenter after every game and the program dominated the local airwaves. If bringing in Pitino could have duplicated that type of success I was all in. You call that nightmares, I call it dreams. It could have happened, but it didn't. He will end up with a big job again. He was not charged with any NCAA violations. He wanted this job. He didn't get it. He never said one negative thing about this program. Move on.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 5 years ago RF1,
A few points to consider. I loved Jim Harrick. It was by far the two best consecutive years this program has ever experienced. He came to URI with more baggage than Pitino. He was fired from UCLA for severe recruiting violations. He got in bed with the Long Island Panthers AAU team, and hired Jerry D to babysit Lamar. Had he stayed we would have had Jason Kapono and Josh Kronke (Father Stan owns WalMart ). He left us much worse than when he got here, but I don't know anyone following our program at that time that would have traded those two years for anything. We were on Sportscenter after every game and the program dominated the local airwaves. If bringing in Pitino could have duplicated that type of success I was all in. You call that nightmares, I call it dreams. It could have happened, but it didn't. He will end up with a big job again. He was not charged with any NCAA violations. He wanted this job. He didn't get it. He never said one negative thing about this program. Move on.
Per my memory, Harrick had minor infractions at UCLA that involved breaking rules by paying for dinner for recruits and then falsifying expense reports and lying. There may have been other issues that UCLA was aware of but nothing was ever made public. UCLA was not penalized in any major way by the NCAA. Pitino had multiple transgressions at Louisville which got the school into major trouble with the NCAA. These involved having sex with the future wife of an employee that later tried to extort him, providing hookers for recruits and their fathers, and facilitating payments to get recruits. Pitino's record of transgressions last spring were far far worse than when URI hired Harrick in 1997.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yup a hall of famer the man can flat out coach
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

RF1 is correct. Harrick did not have any NCAA violations at UCLA with the falsified expense reports leading to his ouster. I thought he was a great x and o coach and let the 1998 team with Tyson and Cat run and gun which clearly was the strength of that team. Al Skinner would not have been in favor of that approach.

Let's also not forget that it was those two years of Harrick led teams that got the Ryan Center built!
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

And 3 years of Pitino would have gotten the practice facility built. Once again, I loved Jim Harrick. He was dirty at UCLA, dirty here (Ed Brown, Tony Cole, Tiger Womack, Zach Marbury--there is a story for each of them) and he was dirty at Georgia. It pains me to say that, but it's true, With the NCAA, the punishment doesn't always fit the crime. Syracuse was charged with far less than UNC involving academic issues. Boheim loses 100 or so wins, 3 scholarships and serves a 4-6 game (can't remember exactly) and Roy Williams gets a slap on the wrist. It's selective justice.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

With Pitino the extramarital affair where he got extorted was all his fault but with hookers for the recruits that was the shady assistant who was responsible and the paying of the recruit wasn't Pitino doing. Ultimately Pitino takes responsibility cuz he is the head coach but all these coaches like Calipari Billy Self and Sean Miller also others with the FBI thing where the assistants arrange for the payments to recruits is just shady .
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

There a massive shade of gray in the transgressions being discussed here. Not everything is black and white. Many, many coaches bend the rules, some flat out ignore them, and some create their own rules. Up until UGA Jim had done nothing even close to what was reported from Pitino and others. Recruiting kids with questionable backgrounds in college basketball is done at every one of the 330 schools that play Div 1.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

There's enough wrong with this post that it might be able to point out what is correct. He came to URI with baggage (though not nearly as much as Pitino had this offseason). He was fired for trying to cover up the fact that he paid for two of his then current players' meal at a recruiting dinner, compare that to Pitino's laundry list of transgressions. He left us much better off than when he took over, and if you don't believe me, you should go to a game at the Ryan Center sometime. Of course Pitino wanted this job, no one will touch him, that's why he's in Greece.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago
There's enough wrong with this post that it might be able to point out what is correct. He came to URI with baggage (though not nearly as much as Pitino had this offseason). He was fired for trying to cover up the fact that he paid for two of his then current players' meal at a recruiting dinner, compare that to Pitino's laundry list of transgressions. He left us much better off than when he took over, and if you don't believe me, you should go to a game at the Ryan Center sometime. Of course Pitino wanted this job, no one will touch him, that's why he's in Greece.
Exactly. I was ok with Harrick's hiring back in 1997 as his UCLA transgressions at that time were relatively minor. The success and excitement he brought to Kingston played a key role in getting the Ryan Center built and I don't have an issue with his short two year regime. I however would never want URI to hire Harrick post UGA (or any other coach with as much baggage) given all that came to light about his tenure there (along with some lesser things that became known at URI after he was long gone).
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

You heard it here first I predict Rick Pitino will be the next coach of the UNLV Running Rebels
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago
Exactly. I was ok with Harrick's hiring back in 1997 as his UCLA transgressions at that time were relatively minor. The success and excitement he brought to Kingston played a key role in getting the Ryan Center built and I don't have an issue with his short two year regime. I however would never want URI to hire Harrick post UGA (or any other coach with as much baggage) given all that came to light about his tenure there (along with some lesser things that became known at URI after he was long gone).
Cameron Dollar,
I know you meant this but when you say Harrick hired Jerry D “to babysit” Lamar, in fact Lamar Odom was living with Jerry D at the time. And Lamar did not require babysitting at the time based on when Jerry D was hired, plus nobody knew how bad Jerry D was going to be as a Head Coach at the time. I know you know this but others who were not around at the time may not. Lamar Odom was the #2 ranked played in the Nation and has his picture on the front page of the New York Daily News he was that good.

When URI hires Jim Harrick I am getting the impression from many of the recent posts that URI did not go out on much of a limb when we hired him. In fact, no School was looking to hire Harrick. URI did, but it was considered very risky and very surprising that a school like URI made a move like this. Lot of credit should go to URI for making this hiring decision.

I loved the hire at the time, loved it throughout his time here and have loved it ever since, plus would do it again.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ramster, agreed......Harrick though wanted to establish himself again after getting let go from UCLA and URI gave him that chance.

He made the most of it, but you just knew he wanted something bigger again so he left......turned out that was a mistake.

My only concern was if Harrick had stayed, would he have had URI on probation and how soon before that happened.

Of course one minute from the Final Four....will we ever be in that position again?
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Harrick was fired 19 months after he won a national championship. It was described by one reporter close to the program to be Watergate-esque, meaning the cover up may have been worse than the crime. While investigating they found that he and his staff had covered up other violations such as furnishing prize recruit Baron Davis, who ironically was drafted one slot before Lamar with a Chevy Blazer. This was the mid 1990's and the emergence of the AAU culture. A lol the coaches were doing it but Jim always seemed to get caught. UCLA had to let him go or they would have faced some serious penalties. I have never disparaged this man, but when Pitino is chastised by so many here when Harrick is treated like a God like creature then the cards need to be put on the table. The night that Harrick returned from Georgia, expecting to be offered a new contract from Ron Petro and he wasn't we were devastated. No on more than Rod, who slept in his car outside of Harrick's home. But looking back, he probably would have put us on probation as well. When Baron came on board we were down one scholarship for two years due to recruiting infractions and sexual misconduct in the Men's Basketball office. Again, i loved the hire. iIt was the best 2 consecutive years we've ever experienced in the program and I was intimately involved with much of what taking place. The NCAA monitored our program constantly and Harrick was public enemy no.1 with the NCAA. And to your point, Jerry D and Lamar were a package deal and no one cared.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Pitino in 2018 is far worse than the Harrick of 1997. WITHOUT QUESTION! I think some people are conflating Harrick with Pitino in the here and now as both were eventually found to be shady. URI however hired Harrick over 20 years ago before his Georgia tenure and many other items came to light. Pitino at this moment (and at the time last Spring when URI had an open position) is known SCUM.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Spot on RF1. Shades of gray, and anyone trying to equate the 2 are distorting the facts. As I said, almost every coach in the country bends the rules. Some of the rules are preposterous. There is as much evidence out there that the infamous UCLA boosters had it in for JH and used that 1 incident as basis for firing as there is that there was more going on besides 1 falsified expense report. Pitino was overseeing an organized brothel for recruits. C'mon now.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

cameron_dollar is intentionally and knowingly distorting the story on Harrick to make the truly stupid idea that he supported of URI hiring Rick Pitino to replace Dan Hurley seem slightly less stupid.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

TP<
We go back a long way. We can disagree on everything. But the relationship I've shared with you and your family over the years far supersedes a few meaningless posts that I may make. I never covered up the fact that I wanted us to at least entertain the idea of Pitino; but I have been 100% in support of Coach Cox as soon as he was hired. That's what happens in the arena. You take your lumps and move on. In fact I have been pleasantly satisfied, believing that he will get the job done.When the Tony Cole "shituation" hit the fan and it did, the NCAA wanted Harrick not Jerry. How do I know this. Because I spent 2 hours on Gresh and Coletto on the old Score deflecting all of the responsibility to Dale Brown, former LSU Coach and Tony Cole's pimp. Myself and and another booster more prominent than me were also interviewed by the NCAA at 10 prime in Providence, essentially saving the program. Ask your father about it. He will know my partner in crime. I have been relatively quiet since the hire and read this board everyday. The only thing that sets me off is personal attacks, whether it be Pitino, our neighbors to the north and even Fatts. The quote a very famous coach, "the negativity on this board sucks". Let my crucifixion begin. Post what you want. I will not be responding.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I love you in real life, c_d. But I just think the Pitino idea was
crazy, and overall we obviously have different views on a lot of this stuff. I’d tell you the same over a beer. Different opinions are never personal, at least for me.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow makes a lot of sense. Think that be a good hire for them
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Pitino suffers first loss in huge rivalry game....

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2568 ... olympiakos
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

St. Daddy-o the Great was sleazy. Little Ricky makes him look like Mother Teresa.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Will Richmond have a head coach when we play them?

Down 66-33 at Dayton.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Slick...he hasn't coached all year, his Euro-squad loses a game, and for three days, THAT story is on the front of ESPN's NCAAM site.
I think UCLA is a very interesting story no matter what this year, that would be an absolutely fascinating story if they hired Rick. They may be competitive now finally, anyway. Two double digit conf wins. Nice opportunity @Oregon on Thursday night. They show as having a 20% chance of winning - so, seems that would be huge. As added bonus, that game seems absolutely ripe for a Walton appearance.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Dick Vitale was raging and pumping Pitino for the UCLA job on last nights Clemson - Duke game. Vitale was the color man. The guy, Vitale, has no shame.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I heard that and I don't think it's the first game he's done it? Was almost wondering if that helped or hurt Rick's chances of getting the gig. :lol: :lol:
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Agree, I don’t think it’s the first time. Wouldn’t surprise me if Pitino gets the job.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

This tweet, coming after Book Richardson agrees to a plea deal-

I have a hard time believing anything will happen. The whole investigation was stupid, and the “solutions” to recruiting have been as equally ineffectual, IMO. I haven’t been as personally down on college basketball as I am right now in a long time.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

And who else is cooperating with the prosecution ?
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

The NCAA was told to hold off until the FBI case and trials are over. It will be interesting to see if the NCAA does anything after the April trials. I don’t have a good feeling that they will.
“We will be good when we are good.”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

ace wrote: 5 years ago This tweet, coming after Book Richardson agrees to a plea deal-

I have a hard time believing anything will happen. The whole investigation was stupid, and the “solutions” to recruiting have been as equally ineffectual, IMO. I haven’t been as personally down on college basketball as I am right now in a long time.
Yeah uconn sucks.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago
ace wrote: 5 years ago This tweet, coming after Book Richardson agrees to a plea deal-

Yeah uconn sucks.
Are you trying to be funny? The college game is more divided than ever. The media has fun with the “mid-major” types, but the tournament is going to practically be one-bid each for all but the major conferences. The NCAA acts like they’re going to address recruiting and fraud, but it’s too entrenched. I hadn’t connected with a team in a long while as much as I did with that group of EC and Jared and Jarvis and Stan, and I miss them. It’s tough watching Fatts struggle and Dowtin adjust.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

The NCAA and Mark Emmert are a joke. I don’t think Emmert showed up for even one day of the trial.

Is anyone actually thinking there might be serious penalties coming? lol