NET 2019-2020 Season

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: NET 2019-2020 Season

Unread post by bigappleram »

I'm not covering anyone, just trying to tell you to enjoy the ride a bit.
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

Sorry, BAR. It's just that, I noticed since my time back here, that a lot of people like to take what you write out of context and flat out put words in your mouth that you didn't say. At a minimum, they exaggerate what you said to make a point at your expense.

I merely said that if we don't win tomorrow night, you can forget about all of these superlatives being tossed our way, because we'll come crashing down to Earth.

I'll drop it now.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

My thought is just win tomorrow and we don’t have to worry about whether a Dayton win would offset it or not. While we are talking about this, though, I’m hopeful we get a win against Dayton and it would be a nice feather in the cap, but I wouldn’t rest all of my hopes on that. You can still be a tournament worthy-team without beating a top-10 team, so in my mind I’m focusing more on what we need to do to make that case for ourselves and regarding a win against Dayton as a bonus that’s out there for us and could be a significant amplifier of what has been a really good year to this point even without it.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Finish in 1st or 2nd in the league and we are IN. Nothing has changed.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rhodyfan3000 wrote: 4 years ago If you think we can survive a loss tomorrow, and the percentage is going to be anywhere near 89.7% after that, you're just flat out wrong.
Nobody is saying the odds are still going to be 89.7% if we lose tomorrow, they will decrease and probably by a good amount in fact. You've shown that you have no idea what the 89.7% means, you said you like 0% much better because apparently it's somehow easier for you to follow even though there is no one that actually follows college basketball, even the most URI hating PC fan, that thinks it's 0% we make the tournament, and you've said we're going to the NIT if we lose tomorrow even though I've shown using our recent history that an at large bid is still possible with a bad loss this late in the season. On top of that I've shown that bubble teams actually have a losing record this year. There is a mountain of evidence against your contentions on how URI may or may not fit into the tournament picture at this point
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

KenPom drops four spots from 45 to 49 after tonight.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago KenPom drops four spots from 45 to 49 after tonight.
lol
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I mean that is the right result. That’s why you play the whole game and not 37 minutes. UMass is terrible so you have to kill them to not hurt your metrics. A six point win is a borderline failure, especially when you led by 15 with under 3 minutes. Close out the last couple minutes and you probably hold steady or maybe move up a couple spots. Alabama loss also hurts. It’s not a big deal, though. The teams are bunched so close together in that range that you can make that up with a strong game this weekend against GW.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I mean that is the right result. That’s why you play the whole game and not 37 minutes. UMass is terrible so you have to kill them to not hurt your metrics. A six point win is a borderline failure, especially when you led by 15 with under 3 minutes. Close out the last couple minutes and you probably hold steady or maybe move up a couple spots. Alabama loss also hurts. It’s not a big deal, though. The teams are bunched so close together in that range that you can make that up with a strong game this weekend against GW.
Too bad the metrics don’t take officiating into account.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Agree it is too bad but it is what it is. The officiating was bad, but the blowout was there to be had. I’m not like pissed off about it, I said the other day the main goal for this team now is to keep winning and things will take care of themselves, but have to acknowledge that we took the boot off their neck at the end and the impact of that is a few KenPom/NET spots.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Yep missed out on the cherry on top.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Dropped 1 in NET from 40 to 41. Need to win by 10. Alabama dropped by two with their loss.
“We will be good when we are good.”
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Rhody dropped one spot in NET rankings due to relatively close win versus a Q4 opponent at home. Went from 40 to 41. Just keep winning baby!!!
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago Rhody dropped one spot in NET rankings due to relatively close win versus a Q4 opponent at home. Went from 40 to 41. Just keep winning baby!!!
I would think if Bama wins we stay the same.

Either way win or none of it matters!
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago
sevegny7 wrote: 4 years ago Rhody dropped one spot in NET rankings due to relatively close win versus a Q4 opponent at home. Went from 40 to 41. Just keep winning baby!!!
I would think if Bama wins we stay the same.

Either way win or none of it matters!
Yeah i agree.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Stall ball stopped us from getting a 10+ point win. I cringe every time I see it. It kills our momentum, forces us to take bad shots and actually decreases our defensive intensity as a result of the relaxed style of offense. I hate it. I've said it before, a good lead with 2 minutes left, fine. We started it with about 6 minutes left last night, although that's better than the 15 minutes left in the VCU game. Still happy with the win, but I want to see us put our foot on opponents throats and crush teams rather than stall and hang on at the end.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Teams don't play for 10 point wins over simply winning. It would change the game of basketball and it would be very obvious (aside from fatts 3 a few games ago).
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Teams don't play for 10 point wins over simply winning. It would change the game of basketball and it would be very obvious (aside from fatts 3 a few games ago).
I realize that winning is the most important thing. I just hate that style of play. That's all I'm saying. Up by 12 with 6 minutes to go? Put the pedal to the metal and end the game.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Teams don't play for 10 point wins over simply winning. It would change the game of basketball and it would be very obvious (aside from fatts 3 a few games ago).
I realize that winning is the most important thing. I just hate that style of play. That's all I'm saying. Up by 12 with 6 minutes to go? Put the pedal to the metal and end the game.
I agree. I'm just saying that I don't like that these ranking systems could potentially change the game by rewarding teams more if they win by more.
GO RAMS
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Stall ball stopped us from getting a 10+ point win. I cringe every time I see it. It kills our momentum, forces us to take bad shots and actually decreases our defensive intensity as a result of the relaxed style of offense. I hate it. I've said it before, a good lead with 2 minutes left, fine. We started it with about 6 minutes left last night, although that's better than the 15 minutes left in the VCU game. Still happy with the win, but I want to see us put our foot on opponents throats and crush teams rather than stall and hang on at the end.
It's funny that Steve and Don usually are calling for URI to take time off the clock. I agree that it is not a good strategy especially now that the shot clock is only thirty seconds. It has not cost us a game yet just some points towards a BS metric. Rhody still undefeated when up at the half!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 years ago Stall ball stopped us from getting a 10+ point win. I cringe every time I see it. It kills our momentum, forces us to take bad shots and actually decreases our defensive intensity as a result of the relaxed style of offense. I hate it. I've said it before, a good lead with 2 minutes left, fine. We started it with about 6 minutes left last night, although that's better than the 15 minutes left in the VCU game. Still happy with the win, but I want to see us put our foot on opponents throats and crush teams rather than stall and hang on at the end.
I don’t think the offense was the problem last night. If you’re ahead by 15 with 2.5 minutes left, you should be taking the full 30 seconds and trying to get the game down to as few possessions as possible.

In other words, my issue in the the last 2.5 minutes of the game is not that we only scored 4 points - that’s mostly fine in that situation, honestly, although obviously you’d take more if possible. My issue is giving up 13 points in that stretch. That’s a lot of points in a short period of time - if you give up points at that pace for a game you’re looking at 208 points over 40 minutes. That’s an absurd pace to allow the game to be played at in that situation. The opponent should not get enough possessions to score that many points unless they are fouling you, in which case you get to maintain your lead by just having your guards make FTs. And not only was the pace bad, the defensive execution showed a lack of focus - got beat at least twice in a row (although there could have been a third time from my memory) on Mitchell hitting a back door cutter for a layup from the high post, we gave up an offensive rebound which led to a score, we turned the ball over multiple times. To me it just looked like we stopped playing about 2 minutes too early.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago
I don’t think the offense was the problem last night. If you’re ahead by 15 with 2.5 minutes left, you should be taking the full 30 seconds and trying to get the game down to as few possessions as possible.

In other words, my issue in the the last 2.5 minutes of the game is not that we only scored 4 points - that’s mostly fine in that situation, honestly, although obviously you’d take more if possible. My issue is giving up 13 points in that stretch. That’s a lot of points in a short period of time - if you give up points at that pace for a game you’re looking at 208 points over 40 minutes. That’s an absurd pace to allow the game to be played at in that situation. The opponent should not get enough possessions to score that many points unless they are fouling you, in which case you get to maintain your lead by just having your guards make FTs. And not only was the pace bad, the defensive execution showed a lack of focus - got beat at least twice in a row (although there could have been a third time from my memory) on Mitchell hitting a back door cutter for a layup from the high post, we gave up an offensive rebound which led to a score, we turned the ball over multiple times. To me it just looked like we stopped playing about 2 minutes too early.
That's part of my point. When we start taking time off of the clock on offense, our defensive intensity seems to let up also. Being much less aggressive on offense also makes us much less aggressive on defense. I think it's the mindset of protecting a lead instead of putting the foot on the throat.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I think the answer is to just not let up the defensive intensity rather than not be strategic with clock management in end game situations. Obviously I agree with the criticism that’s been made here when it seems we try to take the air out of the ball with 9 minutes left up by like 8 points. That’s crazy. But under 3 minutes and a 15 point lead, I’d rather eat 30 seconds and take a shot clock violation than get a layup 7 seconds into the possession - the time is more valuable than the points in that situation.
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Agree 100% with this sentiment.
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I think the answer is to just not let up the defensive intensity rather than not be strategic with clock management in end game situations. Obviously I agree with the criticism that’s been made here when it seems we try to take the air out of the ball with 9 minutes left up by like 8 points. That’s crazy. But under 3 minutes and a 15 point lead, I’d rather eat 30 seconds and take a shot clock violation than get a layup 7 seconds into the possession - the time is more valuable than the points in that situation.
If you convert the bucket the time isnt more valuable. You extended the lead and still took time off the game clock.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago I think the answer is to just not let up the defensive intensity rather than not be strategic with clock management in end game situations. Obviously I agree with the criticism that’s been made here when it seems we try to take the air out of the ball with 9 minutes left up by like 8 points. That’s crazy. But under 3 minutes and a 15 point lead, I’d rather eat 30 seconds and take a shot clock violation than get a layup 7 seconds into the possession - the time is more valuable than the points in that situation.
Agree that it's a good strategy with 2 minutes or so left.....just not 6 minutes...or 15.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Agreed we stop doing what got us there, when we slow the ball down.

We have NEVER been good at stall ball.

We can get away with it against lesser teams, but against good teams if we keep doing it, it could cost us.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

I forgot about it after 2 years but now I remember this gripe:

“Yeah we’re winning but not by enough!”

Rivalry win folks. Be mad at Bama for the drop. The NET isn’t the end-all be-all for the selection committee. It’s still who’d you beat (that’s good) against who did you lose to (that’s bad).

On the selection sheets as long as you see wins in the right quadrants, and avoid losses In the wrong ones, you’ll see your name with a number next to it at 6pm on Selection Sunday.

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago
If you convert the bucket the time isnt more valuable. You extended the lead and still took time off the game clock.
Maybe not in a situation where you are trading 3s for 2s, but in reality that isn’t your choice, anyways. You don’t have to take a violation if you string out the possession - you could score 28 seconds into it. And you don’t automatically score just because you shoot early, you could try to score 7 seconds into the clock and miss. I’m just saying philosophically I would rather manage the clock late in the game with a large lead, which was our situation last night.

The discussion about whether we should stall too early or not I’m with everyone else, but that wasn’t the case last night. We managed the game correctly for 37.5 minutes. It was only that last 2.5 minutes I have any issue with, and that was bad not because we took our time on offense but because we just stopped playing entirely at the other end of the floor.
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

I just dont like the sets we run playing "stallball" keep the ball moving and if you find a wide open bunny in the process take the shot. Our whole game gets stagnant, offensively and defensively, when we try and run down the clock.

On side note Cox and staff need to address the countless wide open backdoor cuts that we give up. Good teams see that. Get the slightest penetration and for whatever reason the baseline becomes wide open and easy to attack.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago I just dont like the sets we run playing "stallball" keep the ball moving and if you find a wide open bunny in the process take the shot. Our whole game gets stagnant, offensively and defensively, when we try and run down the clock.

On side note Cox and staff need to address the countless wide open backdoor cuts that we give up. Good teams see that. Get the slightest penetration and for whatever reason the baseline becomes wide open and easy to attack.
While I agree that I'm not a fan of watching "stallball" - it hasn't cost us a game, nor even come close to costing us a game. It's not a primary offensive focal point. It's used when we're up huge or at the end of games where it's out of reach. It's cost us efficiency metrics in exchange for giving our 2 guards playing 35 minutes a night a little bit of rest on the floor.

Give to Rhody's NIL
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

True, but are they really resting? Have to exert a lot energy beating traps to then just slow the ball down. Personally i would like to see more ball movement to make trapping more difficult and try and get the defensive players out of position then make your move to the rim.

Unfortunately with this new NET crap, yes im not the biggest fan, the metrics are very important.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago True, but are they really resting? Have to exert a lot energy beating traps to then just slow the ball down. Personally i would like to see more ball movement to make trapping more difficult and try and get the defensive players out of position then make your move to the rim.

Unfortunately with this new NET crap, yes im not the biggest fan, the metrics are very important.
I think that's a fair debate. My thought is that they have to beat the trap either way. Might as well take the full clock before you have to play defense rather than beat the press and score quick, forcing you into transition right away.

I agree that NET is sort of BS in the fact that winning should be all that matters. Like you should never go down in the rankings by getting a win. But I guess I understand it. It tries to make the games more multi-dimensional. Idk any metric you get will be flawed. It's hard to determine the best 68 out of 351 in 32 different conferences.

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago I just dont like the sets we run playing "stallball" keep the ball moving and if you find a wide open bunny in the process take the shot. Our whole game gets stagnant, offensively and defensively, when we try and run down the clock.

While I agree that I'm not a fan of watching "stallball" - it hasn't cost us a game, nor even come close to costing us a game. It's not a primary offensive focal point. It's used when we're up huge or at the end of games where it's out of reach. It's cost us efficiency metrics in exchange for giving our 2 guards playing 35 minutes a night a little bit of rest on the floor.

The stall ball being referred to was either Russell or Dowtin holding or dribbling the ball out by halfcourt. UMASS could have fouled or put strong defensive pressure on the ball but didn’t exert too much, therefore the ball tended to stay in Dowtins or Russell’s hands.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I agree that NET is sort of BS in the fact that winning should be all that matters. Like you should never go down in the rankings by getting a win. But I guess I understand it. It tries to make the games more multi-dimensional. Idk any metric you get will be flawed. It's hard to determine the best 68 out of 351 in 32 different conferences.
I have my own issues with NET, namely that factoring in margin and efficiency changes the nature of the game, like if they awarded postseason berths in baseball based on which teams had the highest WAR. But on the other hand, this is one area where it is more fair: with RPI if you play a scrub team like UMass it automatically hurts your ranking no matter how you play. At least with NET you have a chance to limit the damage of an SOS-killing opponent by burying them.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

How does Providence beating Creighton help us?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago How does Providence beating Creighton help us?
Keeps PC safely in Q2 for us, potentially opens up a spot in the rankings, improved a record of one of our opponents we beat.
Go Rhody
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I am guessing it’ll give us a bump of one or two spots in the NET.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

KevanBoyles wrote: 4 years ago I am guessing it’ll give us a bump of one or two spots in the NET.
Then again maybe not. Both Purdue and Florida won tonight.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago How does Providence beating Creighton help us?
This is where I’m not sure how much committee looks at actual wins vs. NET quadrants. PC will never be a quad 1 win. It’s the same value as beating Bonaventure on the road, but it’s the same team that holds wins @ Butler, @ Marquette, home against Creighton, Texas, etc...It’s the unfair advantage of being in the big east and getting redemption despite a historically bad out of conference.

At what point is it okay to say the Big East doesn’t have any really strong teams and their cannibalization is a reflection of that. You can’t tell me we wouldn’t have a similar amount of Q1 wins if we had Big East top 30 NET teams come to the Ryan Center.

The good news is we have the tiebreaker with PC and if you look at logos owning wins against Bama, PC, VCU x 2, North Texas, WKU, Bonnies, Duquesne, and Davidson is a pretty damn good resume...especially in a down year where all teams are laying an egg once or twice a year.
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Dont remember where Butler was getting shat on, but the 3 to win it against Nova at the end of the game was a thing of beauty.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

We should definitely get a bump with PC/ Dukes /St bonnies all winners.
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Back up to 40.
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

With PC and Duquesne winning last night, this site now has those as "quality wins" for URI.

http://www.realtimerpi.com/rpi_116_Men.html
GO RAMS
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Checked in at 39 NET this morning.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Who would have thought we would be in the 30s just a month ago? Keep it going.
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Who would have thought we would be in the 30s just a month ago? Keep it going.
Answer: Nobody

Read the Keaney Blue Game Thread for the Richmond Loss.....

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8292&start=300
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Who would have thought we would be in the 30s just a month ago? Keep it going.
Answer: Nobody

Read the Keaney Blue Game Thread for the Richmond Loss.....

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8292&start=300
Correction - this guy has always believed!
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Yeah there was a couple of us forsure trying to talk many off the ledge.
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago With PC and Duquesne winning last night, this site now has those as "quality wins" for URI.

http://www.realtimerpi.com/rpi_116_Men.html
It also doesn’t list Brown as a Bad loss, as the Bears rank in at 169...weird