Will Rhody make it to Brooklyn this year?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.

Will URI make it to Barclay's this year?

No way - any thoughts of that are pure fantasy
58%
Maybe 50-50 chance as we play crappy but scrappy
37%
Yes
4%

Total votes: 67

rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: Will Rhody make it to Brooklyn this year?

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

It won't be 2-3 years away. Not the way Hurley is building this program.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rodfromcranston wrote:It won't be 2-3 years away. Not the way Hurley is building this program.
Are you insinuating that URI will be in the 2014 NCAA Tournament next season then? My expectation is a big step forward next year, possibly the NIT but not NCAA. I think it is asking a lot to go from the $hithouse to penthouse all in one year. My expecation is that the NCAA becomes a possibility in two years (2015). If Rhody doesn't make it in 2015, I expect that it would do so by 2016.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Why not us?? Win 20+, have quality win(s) in out-of conference sked, be amoung the upper 1/3 all A-10 season, get on nice run in the A-10 tourney, play a decent strength of schedule rating, aviod bad losses, catch the attention of national hoop media, decent ratings in the alphabet soup of same......what else did I miss??.........all doable for NCAA slot next season.....no?
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

section(105) wrote:Why not us?? Win 20+, have quality win(s) in out-of conference sked, be amoung the upper 1/3 all A-10 season, get on nice run in the A-10 tourney, play a decent strength of schedule rating, aviod bad losses, catch the attention of national hoop media, decent ratings in the alphabet soup of same......what else did I miss??.........all doable for NCAA slot next season.....no?
College hoops isn't what it used to be. Maybe 20 good teams every year and then 21-100 is fairly bunched up. The teams with maybe less talent (but experience) can catch up to more talented teams that are younger (before these guys leave early for the NBA). So, in that vein, anything is possible. Win all the toss up games, get a little lucky. If I had to bet a little bit, it wouldn't be on an NCAA bid, though. I think people underestimate how hard it is for an essentially brand new lineup to mesh, even with a year of practice and a Euro trip. I could see playing like an NCAA team in March but unable to overcome maybe some early struggles.
RhodeIslandBred
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RhodeIslandBred »

Agreed GBG, but if anyone can turn this program around quickly its Dan Hurley. Hopefully the scheduling works out where we can get some easier games towards the beginning of the year to get this team feeling confident early. They will be fun to watch next year as they are this year and I'm not even going to set any expectations for next year-- except that we dont regress in yr 2. We can see the direction of this program finally and I will not be disappointed as long as we see progress every year. Can't wait to see RI in the big dance again.
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

I agree with RF1. NIT next year would be a huge step forward. NCAA tourney is very much in our reach over the next couple of years. It is safe to say coach Hurley will not be satisfied with 20 win seasons and some type of postseason play. He will do everything possible to get us to the tournament.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

All you have to do is look at Providence up north to realize that there can always be hiccups in the rebuilding process. Even when it comes to something like individual player progression, the results are seldom linear, nevermind when it comes to a team of 10 to 15 individuals. While on paper for 2013-14, the Rams look good, you always have to see how the team looks in the preseason and the OOC schedule first, of course.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

URI Men's Basketball
@RhodyMBB
Great to catch up with @RodfromCranston at today's @RhodyWBB game.

Just got back from the women's game.
Had a great time hanging around with the Hurleys, Daryl Jasper and Bob Terino.
Looks like URI isn't standing pat on the Ryan Center. They're going to look at
an arena with a similar structure with a central hanging scoreboard. Also.
those lights that go around the arena on the edges of the upper deck, as well as a new floor,
are on the agenda, as well as finally being able to dim the lights for intros.
The word "pizzazz" was used, regarding what is added to The Ryan Center.
Dan said the conference shuffle has had no affect on recruiting.
Number one concern is academics. They are so close to the cliff, that they can't have anyone
leave, and need to be dilligent with whoever comes in.
Also stated by all today, some of what they're hearing regarding realignment makes no sense.
Need a team effort in rebounding tomorrow night. Would like a nice crowd.
What's striking is, these guys really are stoked about next season, and the players who
will be there. Uses the word,"incredible" to describe Onyekaba's strength and footwork.
Says Hassan Martin has limitless upside.
More accountablity next year for players, as they have depth to yank people not
doing it the way staff wants it done.
Balanced scoring will be the signature for the offense next year, but it will still be
a controlled offense. They don't want any "wildmen" on the team.
They'll be going to a tournament in the Virgin Islands. Dan would like a few cupcakes next
year to balance the tough ones. They want to play in Mohegan Sun at some point,
for a big game.
Oh, and Bobby said he loves Cranston.
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

thanks Rod that is great to hear.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

SGreenwell wrote:All you have to do is look at Providence up north to realize that there can always be hiccups in the rebuilding process. Even when it comes to something like individual player progression, the results are seldom linear, nevermind when it comes to a team of 10 to 15 individuals. While on paper for 2013-14, the Rams look good, you always have to see how the team looks in the preseason and the OOC schedule first, of course.
The amazing thing: For all those hiccups, 1 PC win tomorrow night probably puts PC in a very good place on the bubble (not in likely, but super close). Unlikely I know, but it just shows how much wiggle room there is in the bubble process. Basically with the new system, if you are right in there for an NIT birth, you aren't too far away from a NCAA birth.

What does suck is without 3 of those 4 hiccups, PC would easily be right on the bubble now.

The biggest thing is definitely chemistry. You have a bunch of guys used to playing 30/35 minutes a night, and now you want to cut them back and give them a more defined role. You have some guys who are used to just going in the game and chucking the ball, that doesn't fly anymore, and they struggle having to think through their game. You add different pieces to the puzzle, and sometimes they don't all click, at least right away.

The beautiful thing is the foreign trip -- You hope to shake a lot of those chemistry issues out during the summer when you usually don't get such an opportunity, and then by October 15th the ball is rolling.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rodfromcranston wrote:URI Men's Basketball
@RhodyMBB
Great to catch up with @RodfromCranston at today's @RhodyWBB game.

Just got back from the women's game.
Had a great time hanging around with the Hurleys, Daryl Jasper and Bob Terino.
Looks like URI isn't standing pat on the Ryan Center. They're going to look at
an arena with a similar structure with a central hanging scoreboard. Also.
those lights that go around the arena on the edges of the upper deck, as well as a new floor,
are on the agenda, as well as finally being able to dim the lights for intros.
The word "pizzazz" was used, regarding what is added to The Ryan Center.
Dan said the conference shuffle has had no affect on recruiting.
Number one concern is academics. They are so close to the cliff, that they can't have anyone
leave, and need to be dilligent with whoever comes in.
Also stated by all today, some of what they're hearing regarding realignment makes no sense.
Need a team effort in rebounding tomorrow night. Would like a nice crowd.
What's striking is, these guys really are stoked about next season, and the players who
will be there. Uses the word,"incredible" to describe Onyekaba's strength and footwork.
Says Hassan Martin has limitless upside.
More accountablity next year for players, as they have depth to yank people not
doing it the way staff wants it done.
Balanced scoring will be the signature for the offense next year, but it will still be
a controlled offense. They don't want any "wildmen" on the team.
They'll be going to a tournament in the Virgin Islands. Dan would like a few cupcakes next
year to balance the tough ones. They want to play in Mohegan Sun at some point,
for a big game.
Oh, and Bobby said he loves Cranston.
Thanks, as always, for sharing this stuff Rod. Getting this kind of info is great.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

These guys have no barriers. I'm just a fan, and they couldn't be
any nicer to me or my family.
I appreciate being able to talk with them, as I'd talk to a guy sitting near me at a game.
Except, they know more than anyone about the subject at hand.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Thanks for the updates Rod. Let's hope the academics work out. Maybe things won't be so bad when the realignment thing shakes out either.

If Baron had stayed, it wouldn't have mattered a bit, if we weren't eligible for post season play. There wasn't going to be any anyway!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unfortunately some basketball players are not great in the classroom,
which leaves guys like Martez Walker, Norvelle Pelle, Trey Dickerson and players like that,
off limits. They can't take the chance on guys with questionable
academics.
The transfers are using the down year to get ahead in their classwork, and as soon as things get to where they should, then you
can reach on someone, without paying the consequences.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Did Hurley say we'll be OK next year if things work out, or will it take another year to be safe?

It would really suck to finally have an NCAA caliber team, and lose it all because of that idiot past coach.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rodfromcranston wrote:Unfortunately some basketball players are not great in the classroom,
which leaves guys like Martez Walker, Norvelle Pelle, Trey Dickerson and players like that,
off limits. They can't take the chance on guys with questionable
academics.
The transfers are using the down year to get ahead in their classwork, and as soon as things get to where they should, then you
can reach on someone, without paying the consequences.
Pelle is still in limbo at Iona. It's a luxury to be able to take a chance on a player like that. A guy like Minnis is different- he did ok academically once he was in a decent high school; he just had some catching up to do.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rodfromcranston wrote: They'll be going to a tournament in the Virgin Islands.

Any more info on this tournament? What year? It apparently isn't the 2013 Paradise Jam from what I have read:

The 2013 Paradise Jam field includes the University of Maryland in College Park, MD; Marist College of Poughkeepsie, N.Y.; Morgan State University in Baltimore; LaSalle University in Philadelphia; Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles; the University of Northern Iowa in Cedar Falls, Iowa; Providence College in Providence, R.I.; and Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tenn.

http://virginislandsdailynews.com/sport ... -1.1434277

Can't seem to find any other Virgin Islands tournament. There are however other tourneys in the Bahamas and Puerto Rico.

I found an early listing of committed teams for 2013-14 tournaments and it specifies that URI is not yet signed to play in a tournament:

2013-14 College Basketball Early Season Tournaments And Events
http://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2012/ ... events-MTE
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Rod, outstanding intel from the Hurleys!! Amazing how they just talk to you like a "guy", as you said.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'm happy to hear that the realignment talk hasn't affected recruiting. Rod, I know you can't mention any names, but do you know if there are any recruits close to committing in April?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

It was the Paradise Jam. Maybe 2014-15?
Billyboy, there is one guy who they like a lot. He's close by. Hint hint.
They don't know what type big they want to bring in. A banger? A scorer?
An enforcer?
ATP, it's not just the Hurleys, it's the entire Athletic Department.
It's so different from the Ron Petro days or John Chuckran days.
Unless you were a big contributor, you were white noise.
These are younger guys with ambitious ideas. They seem less bureaucratic and
more like activists.
Supporters are made to feel welcome, not someone imposing on them.
Everything isn't a State secret. There's a real transparency there.
Plus, they seem to really enjoy what they're doing.
Besides, I have the two greatest ice breakers ever. My exceedingly cute granddaughters.
Of course, it may be possible that for some strange reason, they actually like me.
None of us mince words. I sure enjoy that in a person.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

How about URI travels to Duke and the return game is at Mohegan Sun (neutral site). I'm sure Coach K would take Bobby's call.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Iggy1979 wrote:How about URI travels to Duke and the return game is at Mohegan Sun (neutral site). I'm sure Coach K would take Bobby's call.
only if Jimmy Baron goes no where near the game lol
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Actually, it's Bobby who set up the Virgin Island tournament.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Fantastic update Rod !!!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

That would be great to get Duke to come for a semi-home at Mohegan.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Two tough home games this week, but if we play well, we could win them both. If we have 5 conference wins at the end of this week, we are then in the mix for a playoff spot (with a little help from UMASS, who plays both the Bonnies and Dayton this week). Let's get the students to these games and make a lot of noise! It's nut crunching time! We have been in almost every game this year. We can win these two games. But it's going to take a great effort from the team AND the fans!
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

SLU's win last night helped us out if we end in a tie with more than 2 teams (second tie breaker is team with the best winning percentage against the team with the highest winning percentage aka best record against 1st)
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Rambone65
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Rambone65 »

Tonight we likely answered this little fantasy question definitively: N-O W-A-Y
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It's done. Next year folks. Not going to engage in any more what-ifs regarded this year's team.

They have to play well to have a chance to win. When they don't, no chance. Simple as that.

Maybe one more win, it will be an upset if it happens. They are capable of a surprise once in a while, then reality bites them in the ass.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

never mind...
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

We have a chance, as long as every other team in the league goes on immediate, double secret probation.
rhodyfan3
ARD

I'm just going to hope for one more upset before the season is over. Getting to 10 would have been nice, but our road to getting there just got very difficult.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

The Lasalle game could be fun, on Sunday. They don't play much defense.
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

This thread should be locked, there is no way this team makes it to Brooklyn.

Sad, but true.
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Question: Will Rhody make it to Brooklyn this year?

Answer: NO
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Ya think?
Mercifully, only four more games.
That Philly trip will be a nightmare.
rhodyfan3
ARD

I will definitely be there for the LaSalle game. They seem like a tough team, but they play with 4 guards a lot so maybe we won't get destroyed on the boards. We always seem to play up to our opponents so I'm hoping for one more good effort at home before the road trip!