Frank Keaney

Re: Game 10 Football AT New Hampshire 1PM Saturday Nov 12 2022 - Flosports

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Why are we so cursed?
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago We could have iced the game with that second to last drive, well into UNH territory. 1st down. Someone called:

Pitch Left ... into 4 Defenders, loss of 2
Pitch Left AGAIN ... into 4 Defenders, same exact play, loss of one or 2
Keeper, stuffed at line.
4th and 14. Punt.

Seriously? Who is responsible for that?
Far too concerned with trying to ice the clock, and it came back to bite us.

Fleming unquestionably has the program in a significantly better position talent wise, but the in game coaching leaves a lot to be desired
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Is there an Offensive Coordinator on this team, or is it Fleming calling the plays? You just scored not a few mins ago, by mixing up mostly short range passes. And then you call that?

I don't understand what I just watched. Was the goal not to beat them?
Kirby.Krackle
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Kirby.Krackle »

I am convinced this team (more specifically, Fleming) will never make the playoffs or win anything actually meaningful. I’m so sick of this. Every year. Every damn year.
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

all they need was one first down?
What happened on the final play? He was wide open. a frosh? 4th down?
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

UNH's game-winning touchdown maybe should not have been a touchdown...

jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

With about 3.5 mins to go, you move the chains one or two more times, you run out the clock.

Or score, and the game is over. It was from somewhere inside the UNH 40 it looked like.

Instead you call what looked like a botched running play, possibly an option, hard to tell. And then you run the same exact play on 2nd down, and it looks botched again, like you didn't get enough the first time. And then you don't even attempt a pass on 3rd down.
Kirby.Krackle
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Kirby.Krackle »

I’m assuming that’s it regarding our chances at the playoffs? Any way we squeeze our way in? We don’t have a ton of quality wins.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

it's bad enough losing the way they did, but it looks like the ball hit the ground and should have been ruled incomplete.

Looks like we are doomed to be close but no cigar with Fleming as the coach.

I guess it's better than one or two wins a year, but it's tough to take over and over again.

I mean, it's all about making the playoffs....I doubt even if we did, would we win a game once there?

To be honest, with our facilities compared to the rest of the CAA, we should consider ourselves fortunate to even be this close to making the postseason.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Kirby.Krackle wrote: 1 year ago I’m assuming that’s it regarding our chances at the playoffs? Any way we squeeze our way in? We don’t have a ton of quality wins.
Seven win CAA teams have made it and it appears the league is stronger than people thought coming in. Last year we were the first team out with seven wins. I'd say unlikely but possible. I'm sure it will come down to needing a lot of help
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If the committee values close losses to good teams, then we have a chance.

I'd put the odds at 40-60 against right now.
Brian Forster
ARD

Albany beat Maine.
could be tough game.
Appreciate the effort by Rampage,but the WR was wide open. Uncontested.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Brian Forster wrote: 1 year ago Albany beat Maine.
could be tough game.
Appreciate the effort by Rampage,but the WR was wide open. Uncontested.
UNH WR was a freshmen who beat our top DB Jordan Jones.

And it was 4th down 9 yards to go. Miss that catch and game is over.

Gutsy play call and great execution by QB, WR and UNH Offensive line as we were bringing the rush on 4th and long.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Brian Forster wrote: 1 year ago Appreciate the effort by Rampage,but the WR was wide open. Uncontested.
Agree. Let a guy get loose in the end zone on 4th and 9 with the game (season) on the line? Can't happen.
Brian Forster
ARD

The secondary played poorly today. They have good athletes. In zone most of game? In zone when UNH scored TD pass inside 5??
I honestly think Rhody has better players at most positions. Except for the five horsemen of the apocalypse-(2 kickers,punter,Warren and Jones).
Warren and Jones don't deserve any honors for this season. If you are only as strong as your weakest link,that helps explain it.
The five of them couldn't play dead in a cowboy show. Can't ride out of town fast enough.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Ouch
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

It’s crazy with 20 seconds left you let a guy get behind you.
Just an inexcusable mistake by a Senior DB.

We’ve played overly conservative all year so that putrid drive where we didn’t throw the ball wasn’t surprising.

After that first first down by Deshields we should have called the 3 best plays we have in our playbook bc 1 first down and the game is all but over. 1st down I’m having Kasim run with the pulling guard and Warren out in front of him. 2nd down I’ll go to Deshields off tackle and then 3rd down if necessary I’m throwing to Ed Lee. Gotta play to win there.
FmrRamFB1
Michael Andersen

Unread post by FmrRamFB1 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago It’s crazy with 20 seconds left you let a guy get behind you.
Just an inexcusable mistake by a Senior DB.

We’ve played overly conservative all year so that putrid drive where we didn’t throw the ball wasn’t surprising.

After that first first down by Deshields we should have called the 3 best plays we have in our playbook bc 1 first down and the game is all but over. 1st down I’m having Kasim run with the pulling guard and Warren out in front of him. 2nd down I’ll go to Deshields off tackle and then 3rd down if necessary I’m throwing to Ed Lee. Gotta play to win there.
Coaching to punt gets you to 6-5, 7-4 or in our case...on the outside looking in yet again.

It is amazing that someone who's coached as long as he has is so deficient with game management.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

A better look at the catch that wasn’t.

ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

That's really disgraceful. At the Brown game there were 5 both reviews in the 4th quarter for the most minor issues. How are all scores not reviewed?
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

So the CAA admits there wasn't a catch. Fat lot of good it does now. That win was flat out stolen from us.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Where did they admit that?
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 year ago So the CAA admits there wasn't a catch. Fat lot of good it does now. That win was flat out stolen from us.
Where is this admission?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodyrudder wrote: 1 year ago
rambone 78 wrote: 1 year ago So the CAA admits there wasn't a catch. Fat lot of good it does now. That win was flat out stolen from us.
Where is this admission?
I honestly do not see why that is not a Touchdown. He catches the ball, takes a step or two and gets tackled. He already has the touchdown before he gets tackled. Ball just has to pass the Goal Line.
Our best, all CAA Defender got beat by a Freshman Wide Receiver. Great pass by the QB on 4th and 9. URI Defense should never have let a Wide Receiver get behind them.
Brian Forster
ARD

I honestly do not see why that is not a Touchdown. He catches the ball, takes a step or two and gets tackled. He already has the touchdown before he gets tackled. Ball just has to pass the Goal Line.
Our best, all CAA Defender got beat by a Freshman Wide Receiver. Great pass by the QB on 4th and 9. URI Defense should never have let a Wide Receiver get behind them.

Amen. Rhody has had 5 starters in the witness protection program for 99% of the season and it came to bite them in the end.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Huh? He attempted to catch from within the end zone. The ball came loose when he impacted the field.

He didn't catch outside the end zone and carry not across the goal line.

He didn't catch in the end zone, take a few steps, then get tackled and temporarily lose control of the ball.

It wasn't a catch.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It absolutely was a catch. There is zero doubt about it. Replayed 10 times. He catches the ball and has possession. Doesn’t matter that he got tackled in the end zone and then the ball came loose. That is irrelevant. Touchdown occurred when he caught the ball and showed possession. Refs got it right.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 1 year ago It absolutely was a catch. There is zero doubt about it. Replayed 10 times. He catches the ball and has possession. Doesn’t matter that he got tackled in the end zone and then the ball came loose. That is irrelevant. Touchdown occurred when he caught the ball and showed possession. Refs got it right.
He didn't maintain possession through impact with the ground, therefore he didn't complete the catch
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Not a catch....ATP and RR2 are right.
Brian Forster
ARD

Maybe the governing bodies CAA,ECAC,NCAA will let them replay the down at Gillette?
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 1 year ago It absolutely was a catch. There is zero doubt about it. Replayed 10 times. He catches the ball and has possession. Doesn’t matter that he got tackled in the end zone and then the ball came loose. That is irrelevant. Touchdown occurred when he caught the ball and showed possession. Refs got it right.
Never does he complete the catch, or do any kind of possession-securing “football moves”. Ball is completely loose and on the ground in the following clear replay. Come on, ramster.

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote: 1 year ago
Never does he complete the catch, or do any kind of possession-securing “football moves”. Ball is completely loose and on the ground in the following clear replay. Come on, ramster.

ATP,

Point 1: In both videos you provide there is zero mention of this not being a catch.
Only a Twitter guy, Tommy Butters, says it. Not the broadcasters on either of the two videos.

Point 2. I went back and rewatched the final minute last night on FloFootball.
Nobody on the broadcasting team, no officials, no URI Players, no URI Coaches, nobody questioned this as a catch. The officials didn’t even huddle to discuss it as a remote possibility. There was no request for replay or to discuss by Fleming or any URI Assistant Coach. Nobody was upset at all.

Point 3. At WBB last night by Ticketing, about an hour before game time, a guy came by to drop off the UNH Football tapes. Being “Johnny on the spot” I took the opportunity to ask him “so was it a catch?” He sheepishly said yes. He said he wanted it to not be a catch but it was”. Fwiw.

Point 4. I will ask some coaches and key people what they thought about the catch at this Saturdays Albany game. To be continued.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

It wouldn’t be a catch in the NFL.

How do you address the indisputable fact that the ball comes loose when impacting the turf?

The receiver went up for the catch while already in the end zone, got his hands on the ball initially while falling, then dropped the ball when impacting the ground, then collected the ball and got to his feet.

How do you address those facts and see that as a catch?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I’d say the same way the Refs and URI coaching staff saw it

I’m with Brian Foster on this one. Brian a little help here?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I’ll add that I watched the 2nd video 20 times and I do not see the ball hitting the ground as Tommy Butters say (whoever Tommy Butters is)

As I said, I asked the guy delivering the UNH Game Tapes and I’ll ask at this Saturday Albany game. I’ll be interested in hearing straight from the coaches.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Would love to hear from PMMM - PlayMikeMotenMore on this officiating call (or lack thereof). Mike, can you weigh in?
Brian Forster
ARD

Ramster-It hasn't come up at all at URI (or by fans at the game)-thank god !!
What has come up is the regression of a # of key players and some going thru the motions.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

If this was the NFL 1,000,000% that is NOT a catch. Receiver must maintain possession through the process of going to the ground. Not sure if college rules are different.

Also I’d imagine the cameras (both number of cameras and angles) for a CAA FloSports games is nothing like an NFL game so I’m not sure the broadcast crew or even coaching staff have an angle to see the ball come loose. Seems like that screen shot being passed around on social was taken from an individuals personal camera.

I don’t think “but the UNH broadcasters didn’t say anything about it” is really a defense for whether it’s a catch or not.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Brian Forster wrote: 1 year ago Ramster-It hasn't come up at all at URI (or by fans at the game)-thank god !!
What has come up is the regression of a # of key players and some going thru the motions.
Who regressed ? From what I saw Warren didn’t get many looks and mostly cashed in when he did. I think you’ve mentioned him.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago If this was the NFL 1,000,000% that is NOT a catch. Receiver must maintain possession through the process of going to the ground. Not sure if college rules are different.

Also I’d imagine the cameras (both number of cameras and angles) for a CAA FloSports games is nothing like an NFL game so I’m not sure the broadcast crew or even coaching staff have an angle to see the ball come loose. Seems like that screen shot being passed around on social was taken from an individuals personal camera.

I don’t think “but the UNH broadcasters didn’t say anything about it” is really a defense for whether it’s a catch or not.
Fact is nobody is saying anything about it not being a catch. Only on Twitter. Nobody at the game on the sidelines expressed anything to indicate they did not think it was a catch. Not like only the UNH people didn’t react, neither did URI people.

I still do not see the ball hit the ground. I’ve watched it 30 times. The two videos ATP posted from Twitter do not show the ball hitting the ground.

On 2nd down Jordan Jones made a great defensive play to break up a touchdown, although in replay it looks like it was pass interference but let’s not go there - a call us a call.

On 4th and 9 URI called a timeout to rest the defense and plan. Then All American Jordan Jones simply got beat by a freshman WR. He got beat period. Likely end of playoff hopes for URI.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote: 1 year ago

In both of these videos I cannot see the ball hitting the ground. Looks like a great catch to me.
Brian Forster
ARD

From what I saw Warren didn’t get many looks and mostly cashed in when he did. I think you’ve mentioned him.
Big Apple-Warren dropped a pass or passes against SB (for a TD?). Dropped hail mary in endzone for TD at end of first half vs. Elon.
Went right thru his hands. I asked two HOF'ers who were standing right there is he should have caught it -and they both said yes. " I was surprised the play worked". Is not a valid excuse. Warren caught one ball against UNH. How many chances do you get?
Ed Lee or Summers would have caught those balls. Warren should have had a field day this season with the talent around him opening things up.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Brian Forster wrote: 1 year ago From what I saw Warren didn’t get many looks and mostly cashed in when he did. I think you’ve mentioned him.
Big Apple-Warren dropped a pass or passes against SB (for a TD?). Dropped hail mary in endzone for TD at end of first half vs. Elon.
Went right thru his hands. I asked two HOF'ers who were standing right there is he should have caught it -and they both said yes. " I was surprised the play worked". Is not a valid excuse. Warren caught one ball against UNH. How many chances do you get?
Ed Lee or Summers would have caught those balls. Warren should have had a field day this season with the talent around him opening things up.
I do remember those 2 drops. But I also remember a helluva over the shoulder catch vs SBU and a clutch grab vs William & Mary to get us to 31-30.
I agree he should have had a bigger year but I don't think he saw the # of targets to do so.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Brian Forster wrote: 1 year ago From what I saw Warren didn’t get many looks and mostly cashed in when he did. I think you’ve mentioned him.

There was a play in the UNH game where Warren didn’t come close to blocking his man who took a straight shot at our QB. He didn’t have a chance to avoid the sack the UNH guy was not blocked at all.

Warren has been disappointing considering what was expected of him.
Brian Forster
ARD

Big Apple-Jones has not regressed? Whoa.
The punter a RS Sr. averages 37 yds.? A lot of shanks.
In fairness,the kickers have not regressed-came in and out with a whimper.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 1 year ago I’ll add that I watched the 2nd video 20 times and I do not see the ball hitting the ground as Tommy Butters say (whoever Tommy Butters is)
This is key to the argument. You don’t see how the ball floats around loose as the player hits the ground?

There’s a reason why the NFL reviews all scoring plays — players, coaches, and officials on the ground can miss calls that can be confirmed using HD video cameras all over the field.

Absolutely criminal that CAA didn’t review this one to confirm this game would flip in the final moments.

Here, I will make it easy for you.

Brian Forster
ARD

I honestly expected the kicking game to may have a chance to hurt the Rams vs. UNH. But could be overcome.
Did not anticipate Jones and Warren going into witness protection.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Your best players step up in huge games like this. VS UNH Warren and Jones did not.
I also thought the FG was going to be a deciding factor but fortunately it did not. The kid from Notre Dame never stepped up.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago If this was the NFL 1,000,000% that is NOT a catch. Receiver must maintain possession through the process of going to the ground. Not sure if college rules are different.

Fact is nobody is saying anything about it not being a catch. Only on Twitter. Nobody at the game on the sidelines expressed anything to indicate they did not think it was a catch. Not like only the UNH people didn’t react, neither did URI people.

I still do not see the ball hit the ground. I’ve watched it 30 times. The two videos ATP posted from Twitter do not show the ball hitting the ground.

On 2nd down Jordan Jones made a great defensive play to break up a touchdown, although in replay it looks like it was pass interference but let’s not go there - a call us a call.

On 4th and 9 URI called a timeout to rest the defense and plan. Then All American Jordan Jones simply got beat by a freshman WR. He got beat period. Likely end of playoff hopes for URI.
I don't see the point of saying people on the URI sideline didn't react. They were 63+ yards away from the play, they clearly wouldn't have a proper view of this play with how close it was