New Ram logo?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: New Ram logo?

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Well this is what all of us have wanted, an official branding guide:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/gorhody.com/do ... _Guide.pdf

Cool grey and black have been added as secondary colors for athletics, to complement our primary colors of Keaney blue, navy, and white (really wish gold to match the University as a whole, and feel black and grey are overused, but it's official now).

Our new official font, to be utilized primarily anytime "Rhode Island" is utilized on uniforms and branding projects, is called Rhody Bold, and is designed to mirror our primary interlocking RI logo. We have two secondary fonts, Eurostile and Blackhawk, for other athletics uses.

Interlocking RI remains the primary logo.

Rams Head is secondary logo. Looking at page 8, it's absolutely clear how superior the new ram is to the old one. If you attach sentimental value to the old one, fine, that's valid, but the new one as a logo is objectively better.

The anchor is now moved down to the tertiary logo and it's been changed to more closely resemble the anchor in the URI and state seal. The change in the anchor is a welcome one for me.

I'd have to think with these changes we might see a host of new uniforms starting with the fall teams
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago
Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago I see our “alternate jerseys” are really here to stay
The strange part about it to me...they clearly had this new secondary logo coming out, so why not make the alternate jersey incorporate that somehow and reveal them with the new logo? So many head scratching decisions.
And the anchor on these uniforms isn't our actual anchor logo
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago black and silver ?

that 2ndary blackhawk font

barf city
We've already been using the Blackhawk font for a while now, mostly surrounding the Rhody Ruckus
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Actually not bad. I like the realistic Ram. I was afraid it would be a cartoon but it’s not bad
GO RAMS
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

I like the main font - that’s fine

Why do silver and black ?

That’s Cracker Jack pc colors

And that 2ndary font is Cartoon Network
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Change my mind. Maybe it’ll grow on me but it’s too busy.
GO RAMS
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

I hate it. The old one is monochrome and you can actually print it on things in any of the brand colors. This has depth and just way too much going on. I don’t want this on anything I own
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

rhodysurf wrote: 2 years ago I hate it. The old one is monochrome and you can actually print it on things in any of the brand colors. This has depth and just way too much going on. I don’t want this on anything I own
Yea it’s very limited for marketing.
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 2 years ago
Rams Head is secondary logo. Looking at page 8, it's absolutely clear how superior the new ram is to the old one. If you attach sentimental value to the old one, fine, that's valid, but the new one as a logo is objectively better.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion about this stuff but I feel completely the opposite. This thing looks like generic corporate trash to me, overthought and overcooked. I want stuff like this to be as clean and understated as possible. The old logo looks like it had been around since the beginning of the school (even though it actually hadn’t). The only thing a logo can possibly be good for, in my opinion, being a stand-in for tradition. If it is new it sucks by definition, because it doesn’t imbue a sense of tradition. Logos should be permanent, and therefore if your team or school has been around for a long time, your logo should look like it’s been around for a long time.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

CD7748FA-DBEA-4A9F-B4C3-D01CA602CF40.jpeg
Compare ours to VCU’s. Far superior. Ugh everything sucks.

New coach has a tip to tail rebuild. Maybe UConn wants to go in a different direction!?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Fwiw I think VCU’s branding is god awful also. We have an unfair advantage with the color palate because it’s very hard to conceive of anything with the VCU colors looking good. But their depictions of a Ram are also too busy and modern.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Why do they always take the cheap route with this and approve the most half-assed thing? Who approved that barf-inducing ram logo? Stick with the interlocked RI. I have a few shirts and sweatshirts with the old Ram on it. Much better IMHO.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago Fwiw I think VCU’s branding is god awful also. We have an unfair advantage with the color palate because it’s very hard to conceive of anything with the VCU colors looking good. But their depictions of a Ram are also too busy and modern.
They look like Buffalo Wild Wings is their sponsor
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago Fwiw I think VCU’s branding is god awful also. We have an unfair advantage with the color palate because it’s very hard to conceive of anything with the VCU colors looking good. But their depictions of a Ram are also too busy and modern.
I didn’t say great. Just far superior to ours.

I love our old logo. Don’t see a need to do this rebrand when we didn’t even use that logo in the first place.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

They look like Buffalo Wild Wings is their sponsor

LMFAOOO!!!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Both URI's and VCU's branding sucks imo.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

rambone 78 wrote: 2 years ago Both URI's and VCU's branding sucks imo.
Apparently we're getting the branding we deserve right now.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Shitty branding, shitty program.

Laughingstock.
NC_Ram
Steve Chubin

Unread post by NC_Ram »

The anchor is a nice representation of the one currently around this program's neck.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

And to imagine this bunch is still over .500.....not for much longer though.
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

I heard the new logo just resigned after today's performance.
'No Mercy.'
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Retire the new Jersey. Not good.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

VCU has a nice ram/letter combo. Looks legit. The more I see our new one the more I think D111 school.
GO RAMS
Puck Frovidence
ARD

Unread post by Puck Frovidence »

Passed on the game for the first time in a long time today, so I just saw this and the new logo. Honestly it comes to a point where this level of effort is just insulting.

It looks like a generic High School logo that the student advisor picked out of the tshirt company's catalog.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

🤮
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Puck Frovidence wrote: 2 years ago Passed on the game for the first time in a long time today, so I just saw this and the new logo. Honestly it comes to a point where this level of effort is just insulting.

It looks like a generic High School logo that the student advisor picked out of the tshirt company's catalog.
Lmfao!!! In 6th grade I came in second place to design a mascot for Narragansett Pier School. I said the Schooners and did a really cool looking boat with a pirate flag. My effort was better!!!
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

It’s the CSU logo with a hint of blue.
Are we still in Rhode Island, Toto?
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Can someone post the ram logo from the 2000s. My wife and I are trying to remember what it looked like and I am not rummaging through the old clothes bins in the basement to try and find a shirt.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

144E6E5D-7A2D-4319-A72C-4BC0DDD6A9AA.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GO RAMS
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion about this stuff but I feel completely the opposite. This thing looks like generic corporate trash to me, overthought and overcooked. I want stuff like this to be as clean and understated as possible. The old logo looks like it had been around since the beginning of the school (even though it actually hadn’t). The only thing a logo can possibly be good for, in my opinion, being a stand-in for tradition. If it is new it sucks by definition, because it doesn’t imbue a sense of tradition. Logos should be permanent, and therefore if your team or school has been around for a long time, your logo should look like it’s been around for a long time.
It was designed by a committee and acceptable to a variety of agendas for political correctness and serves no useful purpose which makes it a truly great academic exercise. Just like the bricks for each new university building.
NCAAs or Bust!
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

1) Looks like a clip art logo/default video game logo

2) More specifically looks like Colorado States logo with our colors

3) Old logo also looks like shit (in my opinion). Thought it was a snail with a face before I enrolled at URI

4) Winning > logos
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If we were winning, the majority of us would like the logo.

I actually like it.

Just Wish it had “Rhode Island” fit in on the top or bottom of the logo.
Go Rhody
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

That Ram logo could be any team, anywhere. It actually looks like the RAM truck logo with different shading.

It never ceases to amaze me how URI always manages to be laughably underwhelming in everything we do.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

The logo doesn't do itself any justice. It doesn't distinguish itself. Stick to the interlocking RI. I'm so over such parochial BS URI keeps producing.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago 1) Looks like a clip art logo/default video game logo

2) More specifically looks like Colorado States logo with our colors

3) Old logo also looks like shit (in my opinion). Thought it was a snail with a face before I enrolled at URI

4) Winning > logos
#1 and #2 are spot on.
GO RAMS
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Who designs these things? Elementary School children? I'm disappointed. Even the anchor logo looks sad. :roll:
Whatever, it's just comical at this point. :lol: Go Rhody?
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

I sincerely want to know..... Is there someone employed by the university who came up with this as a great idea of flat face Ram? Did they put it out to bid and have a 3rd party develop it? It's simply embarrassing (a theme here!?!!)

As much as I enjoy comedy and standup, my mind can't take this level of madness.
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

embaRAMsing
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

The Dude wrote: 2 years ago Who designs these things? Elementary School children? I'm disappointed. Even the anchor logo looks sad. :roll:
Whatever, it's just comical at this point. :lol: Go Rhody?
Freaked me out there for a second...I thought that was a live shot of my own (sometimes...often clueless) dog....
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I just did a quick internet search of "ram logos" and I hate our new one even more. And its already slapped on shirts and cups and stickers, I guess there's no turning back now. F*ck,
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 2 years ago
It was designed by a committee and acceptable to a variety of agendas for political correctness and serves no useful purpose which makes it a truly great academic exercise. Just like the bricks for each new university building.
I get that I'm in the minority on the logo. That's fine. But at least the other people said something that makes sense even if I disagree. I've read this word jumble multiple times, and at no point does it make any sense. Political correctness? Academic exercise? Your whole last sentence?
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

……while we are beating up, mostly, on this…..let’s bring back the old Ram mascot suit…..ya know the one that left the RC during a game break, and then enter the current one……ya know the old one that decapitated the Hawk…….and an injection of personality would be helpful……
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Spook
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Spook »

At this point we should be using the ass of a Ram instead of the face
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago
I get that I'm in the minority on the logo. That's fine. But at least the other people said something that makes sense even if I disagree. I've read this word jumble multiple times, and at no point does it make any sense. Political correctness? Academic exercise? Your whole last sentence?
You get it! The process makes NO SENSE. As for the brick reference, it use to be a URI campus joke that a new standard color/shade for bricks would be established for each new building.
NCAAs or Bust!
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago I just did a quick internet search of "ram logos" and I hate our new one even more. And its already slapped on shirts and cups and stickers, I guess there's no turning back now. F*ck,
Yes what I was saying! Looks like every Ram logo ever except our unique one!

The old one is perfect for its uniqueness and because the "Rams" aspect of our name is the least important. We as fans never say "dang the Rams need a new coach etc" Rams is not a prominent aspect of our identity. That's why the abstract Ram was so right for us.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago I just did a quick internet search of "ram logos" and I hate our new one even more. And its already slapped on shirts and cups and stickers, I guess there's no turning back now. F*ck,

The old one is perfect for its uniqueness and because the "Rams" aspect of our name is the least important. We as fans never say "dang the Rams need a new coach etc" Rams is not a prominent aspect of our identity. That's why the abstract Ram was so right for us.
Wtf r u talking about?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

The name of our school is literally the Rhode Island Rams.
Go Rhody
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 2 years ago 144E6E5D-7A2D-4319-A72C-4BC0DDD6A9AA.jpeg
This is my favorite logo scheme. I didn't like switching to the interlocking bi color RI at first, but it grew on me, and now I like it. However, both logos are worlds better than this new (thankfully secondary) logo! Either keep the interlocking RI or switch back to this pictured ram.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

"RHODY!RHODY!RHODY!"........."DUCKS! DUCKS! DUCKS!"
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

Yeah you just can't wrap your head around what I'm saying.