2021 NCAA Tournament

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: 2021 NCAA Tournament

Unread post by rambone 78 »

That was a tough physical game....offenses really struggled.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago That was a tough physical game....offenses really struggled.
Ended up being a great game! Hopefully a sign of the drama to come.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Anyone else think those new Nike warm up shirts are dumb?

The

"Just us" ones?

"Just us Michigan"

"Just us Alabama"

So stupid!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Gilbert let Wichita down misses a 3 for the game winner UConn fans are laughing
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Weird, but nice, having an NCAA tourney with no Kentucky or Duke.

Either missing it is unusual, but both at the same time?
Still have the Orange tho!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Keegan Records more than holding his own against Arkansas right now.

Another miss on local talent.

Off the top of my head, the RI talent we haven’t gotten over the years. Now some the jury is still out on, and some we never had a shot with.

Murphy’s
Ledo
Swider
Duke
Records
Bans
Weeks
Dominquez
Santos
Kolek
Kimani Lawrence
Preston Murphy (TBD)
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Colgate up 33-19
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Colgate up 33-19
Wow

Now 36-33 Arkansas as the press hurt Colgate. No points for Colgate last 5 minutes of half.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Arkansas big 2h gets the win

Florida wins in OT led by Castleton and Mann
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Records finished 2-for-5, six points and eight rebounds. Colgate lost by 17. Opposing forward Justin Smith on Arkansas went for 29 points on 9-for-17 shooting, 11-for-13 from the line, 13 rebounds. Again, great that Records is playing minutes for Colgate and contributing, but I don't think he has the speed to play at the A-10 level.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago Records finished 2-for-5, six points and eight rebounds. Colgate lost by 17. Opposing forward Justin Smith on Arkansas went for 29 points on 9-for-17 shooting, 11-for-13 from the line, 13 rebounds. Again, great that Records is playing minutes for Colgate and contributing, but I don't think he has the speed to play at the A-10 level.
Would he be worse than Harris?
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago Records finished 2-for-5, six points and eight rebounds. Colgate lost by 17. Opposing forward Justin Smith on Arkansas went for 29 points on 9-for-17 shooting, 11-for-13 from the line, 13 rebounds. Again, great that Records is playing minutes for Colgate and contributing, but I don't think he has the speed to play at the A-10 level.
Harris is currently the fourth or fifth big man on the roster, and probably would have racked up DNPs if both Mitchells were healthy this year. He was also highly regarded as a high school player and with prospect services, and his recruitment probably had a little bit of an effect on the recruitment of other players, even if his career at URI is ultimately going to turn out disappointing. So, I don't think it's a great comparison.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
Harris is currently the fourth or fifth big man on the roster, and probably would have racked up DNPs if both Mitchells were healthy this year. He was also highly regarded as a high school player and with prospect services, and his recruitment probably had a little bit of an effect on the recruitment of other players, even if his career at URI is ultimately going to turn out disappointing. So, I don't think it's a great comparison.

Absolutely agree with that. Hindsight is 20/20, and if you asked me who I would have rather recruited, I obviously would have said Harris.

After Harris’ junior year and Records’ sophomore year, I do think it’s a fun conversation to have.
Go Rhody
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

there are at least 4 schollie playas on Rhody that Records is better than
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Oral Roberts/ Ohio St has been a good game. Going into OT right now.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

15-Seed Oral Roberts beats #2-Seed Ohio State - what a great game!
Michigan State lost to UCLA

Tough start for Big 10 having two teams bounced so early
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago 15-Seed Oral Roberts beats #2-Seed Ohio State - what a great game!

Ohio State getting upset in OT was huge, will bust some brackets.
Michigan State was lucky to even be in the tournament.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago 15-Seed Oral Roberts beats #2-Seed Ohio State - what a great game!

Ohio State getting upset in OT was huge, will bust some brackets.
Michigan State was lucky to even be in the tournament.
Michigan State should not have been in. Plenty of much more deserving teams. Big 10 is over-rated

Michigan State had a NET = 70!! Not supposed to use RPI but an RPI of 94! Did any teams ever get in the old NCAA Tournaments with a 94 RPI?
They were (9-11) in the Big 10. But that's P5 Basketball - 9 teams from one Conference in the 68 Teams Tournament.
0D8F5C45-6DEF-45B7-9455-7563C7D6BAD4.png

Tom Izzo and Gabe Brown get into it. Bad night for MSU.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Sparty beat Michigan Illinois and Ohio St that’s 2 # 1 seeds and a 2 seed don’t have a problem at all with them making the field
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 3 years ago Sparty beat Michigan Illinois and Ohio St that’s 2 # 1 seeds and a 2 seed don’t have a problem at all with them making the field
I feel teams need to be at least .500 in conference play to get invited to the NCAAT.
Do we really need 9 teams from the B10 in the tournament?
I would prefer to see some deserving teams from mid or low major conferences get this opportunity.
Some of these schools don't always get the chance to play some of the bigger programs.
I love seeing teams like #2 seed Ohio State get taken down right off the bat.

Just my opinion.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

This year in college BB was bizarro from beginning to end. The NCAA did whatever it took to get a season and post season done.

Hopefully next year will be normal.

I just wasn't as invested in the sport as much as usual this time around.

Especially since URI sucked.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

reef wrote: 3 years ago Sparty beat Michigan Illinois and Ohio St that’s 2 # 1 seeds and a 2 seed don’t have a problem at all with them making the field
I feel teams need to be at least .500 in conference play to get invited to the NCAAT.
I would prefer to see some deserving teams from mid or low major conferences get this opportunity.
Some of these schools don't always get the chance to play some of the bigger programs.

Just my opinion.
I do agree with that rule of teams needing to go .500 in conference to qualify but since that’s not a criteria a team that does beat Illini Ohio St and Michigan is at least an at large team
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 3 years ago

Just my opinion.
I do agree with that rule of teams needing to go .500 in conference to qualify but since that’s not a criteria a team that does beat Illini Ohio St and Michigan is at least an at large team
Pass me some of that P5 Cool Aid to enjoy watching tonight’s additional BIG 10 losses.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

re: NET and RPI, they're pretty irrelevant this year because teams, at best, played 75 percent of their normal OOC schedule. Plenty of teams played like five or less OOC games, which is pretty much too small of a sample size to judge anything. Like, URI was #108 because our OOC schedule wasn't that bad. Maryland went 15-13, and they're #53. Neither metric "works" if teams aren't playing OOC games, and it's better to not use the rankings at all.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Growing up in Ann Arbor, one of the first things Mrs. Red learned was to say “Oh how I hate Ohio State.”
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago re: NET and RPI, they're pretty irrelevant this year because teams, at best, played 75 percent of their normal OOC schedule. Plenty of teams played like five or less OOC games, which is pretty much too small of a sample size to judge anything. Like, URI was #108 because our OOC schedule wasn't that bad. Maryland went 15-13, and they're #53. Neither metric "works" if teams aren't playing OOC games, and it's better to not use the rankings at all.
Fine, then how do you then say the Big 10 is so great then to warrant 9 teams?
By your own words teams played very few OOC games.

In fact even fewer since the cocky P5 Conferences have gone to 20 game conference schedules. The P5’s themselves have by design reduced OOC games even without Covid game reductions.

So your argument or justification that NET is meaningless begs the question how do you know the Big 10 is so great? They play only among themselves As you say.

So why do two teams (9-11) in conference make the dance?

Next thing P5’s will be going to 22, then 24 game conference schedules. Watch.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Abou Ousmane dancing for North Texas right now
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago Abou Ousmane dancing for North Texas right now
1st NCAA Win for University of North Texas as the 13-Seed took care of the 4-Seed Big 10 Purdue. 7000 fans in the building most all favoring Purdue - didn't affect UNT.

Freshman Abou Ousmane had a thunderous dunk.

James Reese had 3 steals - the total steals in the game for both teams combined was 6. Reese went a clutch 4-4 FTs, 4-10FG for 13 points and some tremendous clutch defense and leadership. We recruited Reese from JC at the same time we were recruiting Sheppard.

Both players have to be very happy they chose North Texas.

UNT plays the winner of 5-Seed Villanova and 12-Seed Winthrop. This game is up now at 10:15pm
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago Abou Ousmane dancing for North Texas right now
Still odd how he committed then decommitted. But clearly he made the right decision.

Also funny how Pat Kelsey, Winthrop's coach was about to go to UMass a few years ago, backed out and is still with Winthrop.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Bye bye Purdue Bye bye

Aztecs laying a big time egg
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago re: NET and RPI, they're pretty irrelevant this year because teams, at best, played 75 percent of their normal OOC schedule. Plenty of teams played like five or less OOC games, which is pretty much too small of a sample size to judge anything. Like, URI was #108 because our OOC schedule wasn't that bad. Maryland went 15-13, and they're #53. Neither metric "works" if teams aren't playing OOC games, and it's better to not use the rankings at all.

In fact even fewer since the cocky P5 Conferences have gone to 20 game conference schedules. The P5’s themselves have by design reduced OOC games even without Covid game reductions.

So your argument or justification that NET is meaningless begs the question how do you know the Big 10 is so great? They play only among themselves As you say.

Yes, the P5's keep looking to expand their conference games, makes it tougher for the smaller guys.
That is why the selection committee needs to take this into consideration.
There has always been a big prejudice in favor of the P5 schools.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

We don't know. I'm comfortable not knowing, and living with uncertainty. The power conference teams are trying to play less OOC games each year because they knew it muddies up any sort of relevant comparison. The proper response is to not reward their bullshit with at-large berths, but it's hard to fault them this year when a pandemic made traveling dangerous. This year especially, we know less about how good *every* team in the tournament is. However, it's better to just say "we don't know how good these teams are" then to say "well this team is 10th in a statistic we know is bullshit."
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Buddy B flat out shooting the ball

Aztecs not helping the mid majors by this performance
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago

We don't know. I'm comfortable not knowing, and living with uncertainty. The power conference teams are trying to play less OOC games each year because they knew it muddies up any sort of relevant comparison. The proper response is to not reward their bullshit with at-large berths, but it's hard to fault them this year when a pandemic made traveling dangerous. This year especially, we know less about how good *every* team in the tournament is. However, it's better to just say "we don't know how good these teams are" then to say "well this team is 10th in a statistic we know is bullshit."
We agree

Where we disagree is it is bullshit to put teams with (9-11) records in. Michigan State with a NET of 70. Lost their 1st game in the Big 10 Tournament to Maryland who by the way several posters here said was bogus to get a bid.
So if you disregard the NET of 70 as incomplete or unreliable then the loss to Maryland and a (9-11) record just don’t sell it for me.

Ruining College Basketball:
- P5 greed
- Dan Gavitt - who is clueless on everything
- Transfer with instant eligibility
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Was nice to see Oral Roberts and North Texas beat those Big 10 schools

Mountain West was a let down SD state and Utah St
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Watched both of those games and there really wasn't that much of a size and athletic difference between the teams.

Ohio State and Purdue also got out coached.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ACC NCAAT, 1-4, 3 teams remaining
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Where we disagree is it is bullshit to put teams with (9-11) records in. Michigan State with a NET of 70. Lost their 1st game in the Big 10 Tournament to Maryland who by the way several posters here said was bogus to get a bid.
So if you disregard the NET of 70 as incomplete or unreliable then the loss to Maryland and a (9-11) record just don’t sell it for me.

- P5 greed
Agree on two of the three, but obvious nepotism hire Dan Gavitt is not clueless. He knows his one job is to pacify the Cartel so it won’t leave the NCAA.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago
Watched both of those games and there really wasn't that much of a size and athletic difference between the teams.

I noticed that as well about the lack of size differences. In the past I think of successful mid-majors having to play with undersized bigs and it was difficult to match up. I think that is where the transfer rules may actually help mid-majors. Lots of good players who even 5 years ago would be the third big on a P5 team and have size will transfer to lower divisions, get time to play and maybe blossom. Just having the transfer portal set up has changed a lot.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

What a great story about that North Texas guard. ZERO D1 offers out of HS, two JC's, finds his way to North Texas, leads his team to the victory over Purdue, with his Dad going crazy in the stands. That's what it's all about.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago

I noticed that as well about the lack of size differences. In the past I think of successful mid-majors having to play with undersized bigs and it was difficult to match up. I think that is where the transfer rules may actually help mid-majors. Lots of good players who even 5 years ago would be the third big on a P5 team and have size will transfer to lower divisions, get time to play and maybe blossom. Just having the transfer portal set up has changed a lot.
Having a more fluid "player market," so to speak, ultimately makes things more competitive, yes.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Gtown getting punked 36-21 by Colorado
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

reef wrote: 3 years ago Gtown getting punked 36-21 by Colorado
47-23 at the half. Gtown getting punked for sure.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago Where we disagree is it is bullshit to put teams with (9-11) records in. Michigan State with a NET of 70. Lost their 1st game in the Big 10 Tournament to Maryland who by the way several posters here said was bogus to get a bid.

- P5 greed
Agree on two of the three, but obvious nepotism hire Dan Gavitt is not clueless. He knows his one job is to pacify the Cartel so it won’t leave the NCAA.
You got me Red. You are correct as usual.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

57-27 Colorado smoking Big East Champion Georgetown with 17 minutes to go. Georgetown needs a standing 8 count.

Colorado passes well, very unselfish and hits the wide open shots. Georgetown looks horrible, forcing shots, poor passing, poor defense.
Last edited by ramster 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Tough matchup for Bona how the heck is LSU in the 8 v 9 game they should be on the 6 line that team is talented
4Diffs
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Geez I remember when the A10 used to be good. This team, St. Bonnies, our regular season and post season champ looks terrible. Lofton has been horrible, worse hanging his head and not getting back on defense. yes 26 18 now I predict double digit win by LSU. Bonnies just cannot score.

Sorry I am the biggest A10 fan going, but 0-4 in the last two tourneys going on 0-6 (VCU has no chance against Oregon, the best team in a good Pac 12). OK maybe no chance is too strong, but I be very surprised.

Was not too long ago the top teams (I know Dayton last year) in the A10 could play with most teams in the Country. The A10 has a bunch of solid teams, about six of them or so, but no really top notch teams which is disappointing. 0-6 in the tourney speaks volumes.

I hope I eat these words, I doubt it.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago 57-27 Colorado smoking Big East Champion Georgetown with 17 minutes to go. Georgetown needs a standing 8 count.

Colorado passes well, very unselfish and hits the wide open shots. Georgetown looks horrible, forcing shots, poor passing, poor defense.
Colorado destroys Georgetown (96-73) as Georgetown could never get back in it, even when applying a press in the 2nd half.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

14-seed Eastern Washington leading 3-seed Kansas (54-46) with 16 minutes to go

The Groves Brothers (Tanner and Jacob) have 38 of Eastern Washington's points.
Last edited by ramster 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.