A10 Tournament March 3-14 2021

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: A10 Tournament March 3-14 2021

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The team has already mailed it in. Checked out. The coach is Humpty Dumpty. Cox has no clue how to put the pieces together.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago The team has already mailed it in. Checked out. The coach is Humpty Dumpty. Cox has no clue how to put the pieces together.
I will wait for next week to completely agree - they have checks out of regular season for sure.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago The team has already mailed it in. Checked out. The coach is Humpty Dumpty. Cox has no clue how to put the pieces together.
I would agree from what I am seeing. It appears the players and staff mailed it in about 5 weeks ago. They are all operating as if they do not care and just want things to end as soon as possible.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago
I would agree from what I am seeing. It appears the players and staff mailed it in about 5 weeks ago. They are all operating as if they do not care and just want things to end as soon as possible.
Yes - that coincides with when the regular season basically stopped mattering. Then we get hosed with two road games tacked on the end. They got up for Senior Day. I expect them to show up for the tournament.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
RF1 wrote: 3 years ago
Yes - that coincides with when the regular season basically stopped mattering. Then we get hosed with two road games tacked on the end. They got up for Senior Day. I expect them to show up for the tournament.
With rare exceptions, teams need some sort of momentum going into a tournament if they want success and Rhody has none. That comeback against Dayton seems more shocking now than it did that night.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Sunday noon standings

3 games remain in A10 Conference Play
Monday March 1
  • Dayton @ St Bonaventure 5pm ESPNU
  • UMASS @ St Louis 6pm
  • St Joseph's @ Richmond 6pm ESPN+
1-St. Bonaventure (11-3) (13-3) W3
2-VCU (10-4) (17-6) L1
3-UMASS (6-3) (7-5) L1
4-Davidson (7-4) (12-7) W1
5-Richmond (6-4) (13-6) L1
6-George Mason (8-6) (12-8) W4
7-Saint Louis (5-4) (12-5) W1
8-Dayton (8-7) (12-8) L1
9-Duquesne (7-7) (8-8) W1
10-Rhode Island (7-10) (10-14) L2
11-George Washington (3-5) (4-11) L2
12-La Salle (6-11) (9-15) L1
13-Saint Joseph's (2-9) (3-14) W2
14-Fordham (2-11) (2-11) L2
Last edited by ramster 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

So we're locked into the 10 seed and the Thursday at 3:30 game. Who will be the 7th seed is very murky at this time though. If we somehow win Thursday, we play Friday at 3:30 against VCU
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago So we're locked into the 10 seed and the Thursday at 3:30 game. Who will be the 7th seed is very murky at this time though. If we somehow win Thursday, we play Friday at 3:30 against VCU

You very likely will not have to worry about Friday. I fully expect that URI's miserable season will be over by around 5:30pm on Thursday.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Let's burst some bubbles baby!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

If we play St Louis we no doubt will lose they have their sights set on a big dance our players want season over
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

reef wrote: 3 years ago If we play St Louis we no doubt will lose they have their sights set on a big dance our players want season over
If it’s St Louis, they will attack the glass and maul Rhody into submission. I could see that game getting really ugly.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It no longer matters who it is.

We make everyone look like Gonzaga.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago
reef wrote: 3 years ago If we play St Louis we no doubt will lose they have their sights set on a big dance our players want season over
If it’s St Louis, they will attack the glass and maul Rhody into submission. I could see that game getting really ugly.
If it is George Mason - they are a team with 2 good wins all year. I give us a shot. Get some confidence back and play VCU who we match up well with. It almost could not be a more perfect draw for Rhody (assuming St Louis can beat Umass).
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If we play like we did in our good wins we have a shot.

But that team doesn't exist anymore.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago If we play like we did in our good wins we have a shot.

But that team doesn't exist anymore.
That Dayton game was a week and a half ago - let’s not get crazy here. They sucked in two games that were essentially meaningless for standings purposes. Team did not show up on D. No intensity, no fight. I can’t say with 100% confidence they show up next week, but it also would not shock me.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Interesting timing to announce before the A10 Tournament. Great news for St Louis. 1st announcement I've seen of a player taking advantage of the extra year.

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

JimSidd wrote: 3 years ago
If it is George Mason - they are a team with 2 good wins all year. I give us a shot. Get some confidence back and play VCU who we match up well with. It almost could not be a more perfect draw for Rhody (assuming St Louis can beat Umass).
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago Interesting timing to announce before the A10 Tournament. Great news for St Louis. 1st announcement I've seen of a player taking advantage of the extra year.

Great news for them, the road ahead for us just keeps getting tougher.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Even if we were to play Mason, they are going in the right direction.

Where are we going?
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

So we play the 7 seed (TBD), and then VCU if we win (the 2 see).
GO RAMS
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Even if we were to play Mason, they are going in the right direction.

Where are we going?
Yes they have won 4 games in a row - against trash teams and a lucky one against VCU. Other than that VCU game and a squeaker against UMass they have not had anything close to quality win all season. They are probably an ok team but are not a very good team, not even close to where Dayton is. We should be able to beat them easily with some defensive intensity. Rhody got up and played on senior day when it mattered against Dayton. A10 tourney will matter to the players and they will be up and ready to play a game that means something. So guys weren't getting in front of Duquesne players on D in a meaningless game and we lost because of it. Show up, limit turnovers and play tough D and we can be in the semis (assuming St. Louis can take care of UMass and we get Mason/VCU draw). The road is there.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 years ago Even if we were to play Mason, they are going in the right direction.

Where are we going?
Yes they have won 4 games in a row - against trash teams and a lucky one against VCU. Other than that VCU game and a squeaker against UMass they have not had anything close to quality win all season. They are probably an ok team but are not a very good team, not even close to where Dayton is. We should be able to beat them easily with some defensive intensity. Rhody got up and played on senior day when it mattered against Dayton. A10 tourney will matter to the players and they will be up and ready to play a game that means something. So guys weren't getting in front of Duquesne players on D in a meaningless game and we lost because of it. Show up, limit turnovers and play tough D and we can be in the semis (assuming St. Louis can take care of UMass and we get Mason/VCU draw). The road is there.
I hate to break it to you, but we are one of those "trash teams"...The road was lost once Sheppard was spotted with crutches. We have still lost to bad teams with him. It's going to be extremely ugly without him.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

George Mason has beaten absolutely no one of consequence this year. Of course we are capable of losing to them, we just lost to GW who is even worse. Just my opinion but if we show up we can win this game. Sheppard being out would change the odds a little, but we should still be able to beat them with our team if the team plays hard.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago George Mason has beaten absolutely no one of consequence this year. Of course we are capable of losing to them, we just lost to GW who is even worse. Just my opinion but if we show up we can win this game. Sheppard being out would change the odds a little, but we should still be able to beat them with our team if the team plays hard.
I mean we did beat them by 20 already. Which means nothing. I just don't want to see us get our ass heat. I'd rather us at least play hard. I think we played pretty hard the last couple games. Mostly coaching.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Ya, either way, we have no shot of winning the A10 without Shep. Even with him, the chances were extremely slim.

I agree that we will beat a bad George Mason team. A loss to them in the A10 tournament would be embarrassing. We also should beat a Boneless VCU team...Sorry I had to.

After that, it won't' matter because we are not winning 3 straight under this leadership.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago George Mason has beaten absolutely no one of consequence this year. Of course we are capable of losing to them, we just lost to GW who is even worse. Just my opinion but if we show up we can win this game. Sheppard being out would change the odds a little, but we should still be able to beat them with our team if the team plays hard.
GMU won at VCU just like we did that is of consequence they are in the field as of now . We will probably be slight dogs I wouldn’t think the line is more than 3 either way
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 3 years ago
GMU won at VCU just like we did that is of consequence they are in the field as of now . We will probably be slight dogs I wouldn’t think the line is more than 3 either way
St Joseph's beating Richmond right now, Dayton upset St Bonaventure. Not a slam dunk GMU is our opponent. Thats why they play the games
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

St Joes is playing great hoop right now
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

URI draws Dayton in the first round. Should be a war
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Final Standings

Dayton upsets St Bonaventure
St Joseph’s with huge upset at Richmond
St Louis beats UMASS

Lots of unexpected changes in the seeding from the two big upsets that took place on the road.

1-St. Bonaventure (11-4) (13-4) L1
2-VCU (10-4) (17-6) L1
3-Davidson (7-4) (12-7) W1
4-Saint Louis (6-4) (13-5) W2
5-UMASS (6-4) (7-6)L2
7-Dayton (9-7) (13-8) W1
8-Richmond (6-5) (13-7) L2
13-Saint Joseph's (3-9) (4-14) W3
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This is why we will be playing Dayton. Made 3FG by Richmond to tie was ruled after the buzzer. There was .2 seconds on the clock which is not enough to take a shot. Must have .4 seconds or more. Refs reviewed the ball out of bounds play and added .2 to the clock to give Richmond .4 seconds - but Richmond still could not get the shot off fast enough. Crazy ending.

Last edited by ramster 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Without Shep we have even less chance to win anything.

That means Betrand and Carey will have to play more, well they would anyway.

Ish and Fatts will play major minutes together.

I'll guess I'll play along too...major exercise in futility in any event.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago

Where are we going?
I hate to break it to you, but we are one of those "trash teams"...The road was lost once Sheppard was spotted with crutches. We have still lost to bad teams with him. It's going to be extremely ugly without him.
With the St Josephs huge upset @ Richmond George Mason moves up to the #6 Seed.
George Mason will play the winner of Game #2: Seed #11-George Washington vs Seed #14-Fordham
GMU Game will be Thursday 5:30pm
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Well, Crutcher should put a nail in the coffin that has been this season.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 3 years ago

George Mason will play the winner of Game #2: Seed #11-George Washington vs Seed #14-Fordham
Ramster, I give you credit for keeping up with all of this.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
ramster wrote: 3 years ago

Ramster, I give you credit for keeping up with all of this.
:D
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago Well, Crutcher should put a nail in the coffin that has been this season.
Yes - I will go in my corner and shut up now. Season is over. I still firmly believe there was a path to the semis with George Mason to VCU. That path is gone.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 years ago
I mean we did beat them by 20 already. Which means nothing. I just don't want to see us get our ass heat. I'd rather us at least play hard. I think we played pretty hard the last couple games. Mostly coaching.
I don’t think we played hard against Duquesne. Fatts and Malik did. Other than that no one showed up (maybe Carey who I thought played better than usual). We played hard at GW and they went off from deep in the second half and we collapsed in final 4 minutes. Last game we played hard was Dayton, but it took everything we had to win that game.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We definitely got the easier side of the bracket with Bonnie’s St Louis and Richmond on the other side, with an injured VCU on our side.

Man I wish I wasn’t trying to convince myself we can make a run, only going to end in disappointment.
Last edited by Rhody15 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Maybe Mitchell will stay out of foul trouble and we play like we did in the last 10 minutes of the Home Dayton game then we will have a chance though missing Shepherd makes things difficult
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Here we go!

Dayton rematch

GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes going to be a war on Thursday afternoon
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

This season ends Thursday, no way in hell this team beats Dayton the way they have played. If you think we can win you are delusional.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Joe95 wrote: 3 years ago This season ends Thursday, no way in hell this team beats Dayton the way they have played. If you think we can win you are delusional.
I mean we will obviously be underdogs here, but let’s not act like Dayton has been some pinnacle of consistency this season either

Within the last two weeks alone they’ve beat SBU and STL while also losing to us and then also St Joe’s by double digits
Last edited by KingstonLane 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

If we had Shep maybe. No chance without him.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago
Joe95 wrote: 3 years ago This season ends Thursday, no way in hell this team beats Dayton the way they have played. If you think we can win you are delusional.
I mean we will obviously be underdogs here, but let’s not act like Dayton has been some pinnacle of consistency this season either

Within the last two weeks alone they’ve beat SBU and STL while also losing to us and then also St Joe’s by double digits
I’m going to for the reverse Jinx 👌. Honestly whomever wins this matchup has a serious shot at the A10 finals.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago If we had Shep maybe. No chance without him.
Whats his status?
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Final Standings - NET

Bracket Side 1 Teams
1-St. Bonaventure - 32
4-Saint Louis - 43
5-UMASS - 129
8-Richmond - 64
9-Duquesne - 139
12-La Salle - 195
13-Saint Joseph's - 204

Bracket Side 2 Teams
2-VCU - 37
3-Davidson - 71
6-George Mason - 124
7-Dayton - 86
10-Rhode Island - 104
11-George Washington - 257
14-Fordham - 322

Davidson is in a good position with the #3 Seed. They play the winner of #6 George Mason, #11 George Washington and #14 Fordham

To get two the Championship game Davidsion would then need to beat the winner of #2 VCU, #7 Dayton and #10 URI

Final Standings
1-St. Bonaventure (11-4) (13-4) L1
2-VCU (10-4) (17-6) L1
3-Davidson (7-4) (12-7) W1
4-Saint Louis (6-4) (13-5) W2
5-UMASS (6-4) (7-6)L2
7-Dayton (9-7) (13-8) W1
8-Richmond (6-5) (13-7) L2
13-Saint Joseph's (3-9) (4-14) W3
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 3 years ago If we had Shep maybe. No chance without him.
Whats his status?
I heard it's very unlikely that he's playing and chances are slim that he returns next season. That was yesterday so if anyone else has an update please share.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

For what it’s worth, I look for St Joe’s to easily dispatch LaSalle and then upset UMASS. St Louis then ends their run in the quarters.