Week #18 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Joe95
ARD

Re: Week #18 - Games of Interest

Unread post by Joe95 »

Watching this Murray State/ Austin Peay game, why can't we land a guy like KJ Williams. Dude is 6-10 versatile, hits threes and rebounds well. Plus he's only a sophomore, we need better talent evaluators on this staff.
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

One more thing from watching Murray State, they move the ball so quick and effectively on the offensive end, we need to incorporate some type of offense next season instead 1 on 1 ball and one pass Chuck threes.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Some day we'll have a coach that can get players who can run a fluid half court offense.

Even with Dan, he wasn't exactly a wiz at running half court offense.

Of course some say it's the players fault not the coach. We have guys who can't or won't pass on 3 on 1 fast breaks.

But coaches at this level should know how to teach it and make it work.

The last coach here who did it consistently well was Harrick.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......some day, Bone........some day.......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

You really have to wonder what they are teaching them during practices.

Whatever it is, it's not translating to the games.
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 years ago Some day we'll have a coach that can get players who can run a fluid half court offense.

Even with Dan, he wasn't exactly a wiz at running half court offense.

Of course some say it's the players fault not the coach. We have guys who can't or won't pass on 3 on 1 fast breaks.

But coaches at this level should know how to teach it and make it work.

The last coach here who did it consistently well was Harrick.
It is something beautiful to watch. Wish I was alive for that era
of Rhody basketball 😑
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

Gimme the coach for Murray State any day of the week dude can recruit, develop talent and coach. Sign me up for Matt McMahon anyday.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago Multiple folks on this board felt the Richmond and Brown losses were almost equivalent.

Richmond is a dangerous club. Then and now.
I watched the Richmond @ Duquesne and the VCU @ Davidson Games last night

Richmond moved the ball so well. Very unselfish. Richmond utilizes Golden’s proficiency to pass in their play design. Golden had 8 assists, 7 rebounds, 13 points. He finds the open man sometimes with crisp cross court passes with good accuracy.
Cayo 11 points, 11 rebounds
Sherod 13 points, 11 rebounds
Gilyard 10 assists
Richmond looks improved from when they beat us in January
But most impressive was their ball movement.

Davidson also moved the ball very well. Unselfish. Excellent passing. Leads to high percentage shots
Davidson started 3 seniors and played them for 2 minutes each. That was it. More important to play those 3 seniors that the game impact itself on Senior night.
VCU drops to (8-10) to finish the season. Amazing considering they were picked preseason to win the A10
22-25 FTs
7-16 on 3Ps
Good passing, unselfish ball movement, making the extra pass, excellent shooting accuracy.
Davidson made VCU look bad.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Only saw a couple highlights of the Richmond game...that Cayo dude looks like a serious player...
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Think Richmond may be in now. Another win wouldn't hurt. We were in that second A10 position; Richmond has taken it over. Where's their NET at now?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 years ago Only saw a couple highlights of the Richmond game...that Cayo dude looks like a serious player...
He is a serious player.
Cayo had 19 points, 11 rebounds for Richmond when we lost to them in January. Those were game high totals for Richmond.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago Multiple folks on this board felt the Richmond and Brown losses were almost equivalent.

I watched the Richmond @ Duquesne and the VCU @ Davidson Games last night

Richmond moved the ball so well. Very unselfish. Richmond utilizes Golden’s proficiency to pass in their play design. Golden had 8 assists, 7 rebounds, 13 points. He finds the open man sometimes with crisp cross court passes with good accuracy.
Cayo 11 points, 11 rebounds
Sherod 13 points, 11 rebounds
Gilyard 10 assists
Richmond looks improved from when they beat us in January
But most impressive was their ball movement.

Davidson also moved the ball very well. Unselfish. Excellent passing. Leads to high percentage shots
Davidson started 3 seniors and played them for 2 minutes each. That was it. More important to play those 3 seniors that the game impact itself on Senior night.
VCU drops to (8-10) to finish the season. Amazing considering they were picked preseason to win the A10
22-25 FTs
7-16 on 3Ps
Good passing, unselfish ball movement, making the extra pass, excellent shooting accuracy.
Davidson made VCU look bad.
Reading these comments really suck, because it is 100% true. We have to be one of the worst teams in the conference on designing plays, passing effectively to get easy shots, screens, movement without the ball and on and on. It seems like a miracle that we even were on the inside of the bubble at one point when I think about it. We did it with smoke and mirrors. We played teams who had injuries or were at their worst point of the year like PC. Just utter disappointment. Expect nothing going forward
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago Think Richmond may be in now. Another win wouldn't hurt. We were in that second A10 position; Richmond has taken it over. Where's their NET at now?
Richmond NET = 44
They are now 24-7
14-4 in A10 Conference Play
RPI = 24
BPI = 40
KenPom = 47
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

There's something to be said for recruiting players that can play intelligent basketball, without being superior athletes.

That's what Richmond and Davidson has....and what their coaches are looking for.

Guys who can pass and actually make open shots.

We have athletes, but BB IQ is lacking [except Jeff of course].

I also think Jacob has good BB instincts, besides being a great athlete.

Besides them, who has much?

Ideally, you want a combination of physical ability and good BB IQ.

It's on the coach to find them.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Saturday action in the A-10 has our attention focused on Rhode Island at UMass, 7 PM. On ESPN+. Line: URI -3.0, O/U: 142.5

In other A-10 games:

George Mason at Fordham, 2 PM. On ESPN+. Line: GMU -1.5, O/U: 119

La Salle at Saint Joseph's, 2 PM. On ESPN+. Line: JOES -1.5, O/U: 146.5

George Washington at Dayton, 7 PM. On ESPN+. Line: DAY -21.5, O/U: 138.5

St. Bonaventure at Saint Louis, 8 PM. Line: SLU -5.5, O/U: 134.5

In games involving URI OOC opponents

#4 Baylor at West Virginia, 1 PM. PM. On ESPN+. Line: WVU -1.0, O/U: 130

Georgia at LSU, 2 PM. On ESPN2. Line: LSU -9.0, O/U: 158.5

Long Island U. at Robert Morris, 2 PM. On ESPN3.

Alabama at Missouri, 2:30 PM. On SECN. Line: MIZ -1.0, O/U: 150

Southern Miss at Middle Tennessee, 6 PM. On ESPN3. Line: MTSU -4.5, O/U: 138

De Paul at Providence, 6:30 PM. On FS1. Line: PC -10.0, O/U: 136.5

Brown at Dartmouth, 7 PM. On ESPN+.

Western Kentucky at Florida International, 7 PM. Line: FIU -1.0, O/U: 148
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Richmond is now (24-7) and (14-4)

Richmond only played Dayton once, @ Richmond and lost by 8 points
But, Richmond was without their best player in Blake Francis
A Dayton Richmond Championship Game would be interesting

We couldn’t stay with Dayton in either game.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Things that have gone..... bye bye (with apologies to reef)

1. Buggy Whips
2. Typewriters
3. Carbon paper
4. 2019-20 Bracketology thread
5. Top 25 Polls 2019-20 thread
6. That's Enough, Fordham... thread
7. IS ANYONE HAPPY YET ! thread
8. Raise your hand! thread
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

ESPN showing all of Obi's dunks against us..... yay
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago Things that have gone..... bye bye (with apologies to reef)

1. Buggy Whips
2. Typewriters
3. Carbon paper
4. 2019-20 Bracketology thread
5. Top 25 Polls 2019-20 thread
6. That's Enough, Fordham... thread
7. IS ANYONE HAPPY YET ! thread
8. Raise your hand! thread
I love how you put #7 in CAPS just as it was created

You also might want to add the “I Believe” thread
And possibly this Kodak Film to make it an even 10

Oh my, I had a good laugh with this. Thanks I needed this prior to the UMASS trip.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Looking back, did we really collapse, or just hit the meat of our schedule? Dayton X2, at Davidson, St Louis.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.......little of both.......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I don't have a fact based rationale, but somehow I have the feeling that the Big East is totally overrated.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago I don't have a fact based rationale, but somehow I have the feeling that the Big East is totally overrated.
I think so also. Does Marquette, Villanova, Butler and the rest really scare anyone. I’m betting they might have one team in the sweet 16. I know they will have a ton of teams in the dance, but just a bunch of decent teams living off the other high rating to improve quad 1 wins and net rankings
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

UCH21377 wrote: 4 years ago Looking back, did we really collapse, or just hit the meat of our schedule? Dayton X2, at Davidson, St Louis.

Collapse.

I think we played better against Brown than we have played in many of these games we've lost lately.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

West Virginia takes down #4 Baylor, 76-64. The Mountaineers had lost six of their last eight games dropping out of the Top 25 in the process, but overcame a poor start in their last home game of season to beat the Bears. Take heart Rams!
RIrugger01
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RIrugger01 »

Maybe this will bump Dayton up to a 1 seed
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Agree totally with Ramstock and Obidiah that the Big East is very overrated . I think the NET is even more flawed than the RPI . The Big East is a great example . Marquette is 8-10 in league now but has an NET of 25 before losing to St. Johns and will probably be at 27 . I think both Richmond and St. Louis are better than Marquette having watch them many times . They will probably get in with 13 losses and a losing league record . They don't look any better than URI having gone 1-6 to end the season while URI has gone 3-4 with a chance to go 3-5 . Also URI beat Providence by 14 while Marquette lost twice to Providence . I think maybe they have to overweight road wins more so that the so called power leagues can't get away with only playing the better Mid majors at home which skews the NET majorly in their favor.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The irony is that the NCAA supposedly switched away from the RPI because there were some complaints that teams were gaming it. Then the NCAA powers actually cook up a formula which it will not make public to purposely rig the ranking system to provide an outcome more to its liking which favors the top few conferences. It is such a corrupt entity.
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
RamFaninSF
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RamFaninSF »

luke wrote: 4 years ago Agree totally with Ramstock and Obidiah that the Big East is very overrated . I think the NET is even more flawed than the RPI . The Big East is a great example . Marquette is 8-10 in league now but has an NET of 25 before losing to St. Johns and will probably be at 27 . I think both Richmond and St. Louis are better than Marquette having watch them many times . They will probably get in with 13 losses and a losing league record . They don't look any better than URI having gone 1-6 to end the season while URI has gone 3-4 with a chance to go 3-5 . Also URI beat Providence by 14 while Marquette lost twice to Providence . I think maybe they have to overweight road wins more so that the so called power leagues can't get away with only playing the better Mid majors at home which skews the NET majorly in their favor.
I agree the NET is more flawed than the RPI.

Coming into today, Purdue head a higher NET ranking than Virginia, Arizona is above Villanova, and maybe the best example of how bad it is, is LSU being ahead of Auburn. They have the same record in the SEC (12-6), but Auburn is 25-6, and LSU is 21-10. Oh, and the one time they played head-to-head, Auburn won. :roll:

In all three of those examples, the team with the lower NET has a better ranking in the RPI.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Someone didn’t research:

Temple went 18-0 twice.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

Temple is pulling a Rhody. Was leading Cincinnati by double digits most of the game. Up 2 with 3 remaining
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
jaywin86
Steve Chubin

Unread post by jaywin86 »

Cincy just got out with a win at 2.8 left (put back) or call it a Temple collapse
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

luke wrote: 4 years ago Agree totally with Ramstock and Obidiah that the Big East is very overrated . I think the NET is even more flawed than the RPI . The Big East is a great example . Marquette is 8-10 in league now but has an NET of 25 before losing to St. Johns and will probably be at 27 . I think both Richmond and St. Louis are better than Marquette having watch them many times . They will probably get in with 13 losses and a losing league record . They don't look any better than URI having gone 1-6 to end the season while URI has gone 3-4 with a chance to go 3-5 . Also URI beat Providence by 14 while Marquette lost twice to Providence . I think maybe they have to overweight road wins more so that the so called power leagues can't get away with only playing the better Mid majors at home which skews the NET majorly in their favor.
Lol, so take the team playing the worst at the team to make your point. Richmond is probably playing better then Marquette right now no doubt. Marquette did pretty good in the non conference beating southern cal, Purdue, Davidson and K State . Combine that with the strength of the Big East numbers is the reason for the high Net. St louis is playing good right now no doubt but when you play garbage non conference schedule with your best win probably Belmont it catches up to you . Especially when you are going into a conference with the likes of teams like LaSalle and Fordham and st Joe's.
steviep123
Sly Williams

What a finish. Temple nails a 3 for a 1 point lead with 10 secs left. Cincinnati hits the game winner off a rebound with 2 secs left.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

woodennickel1 wrote: 4 years ago
Lol, so take the team playing the worst at the team to make your point. Richmond is probably playing better then Marquette right now no doubt. Marquette did pretty good in the non conference beating southern cal, Purdue, Davidson and K State . Combine that with the strength of the Big East numbers is the reason for the high Net. St louis is playing good right now no doubt but when you play garbage non conference schedule with your best win probably Belmont it catches up to you . Especially when you are going into a conference with the likes of teams like LaSalle and Fordham and st Joe's.
Richmond’s best win was Wisconsin not Belmont (unless you we’re talking about SLU).
Bleed Keaney Blue!

steviep123
Sly Williams

Another great finish in Cincinnati. This time Xavier takes the 2 point lead with an and 1 with 8 seconds left. Not to be out done, Baldwin nails a 3 pointer with 1 second left to give Butler the 72-71 win. Xavier needed that game. They fall to 7th.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

woodennickel1
ARD

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
woodennickel1 wrote: 4 years ago
Richmond’s best win was Wisconsin not Belmont (unless you we’re talking about SLU).
Was talking about St Louis . Richmond is most likely in and their net is at 37 really not that big a difference from Marquette. Especially when you consider there is not one Big East team over 90 in the Net.
woodennickel1
ARD

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago Another great finish in Cincinnati. This time Xavier takes the 2 point lead with an and 1 with 8 seconds left. Not to be out done, Baldwin nails a 3 pointer with 1 second left to give Butler the 72-71 win. Xavier needed that game. They fall to 7th.
Incredibly exciting college game.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

De Paul is a really bad team and a bad program.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Baldwin is the type of player that can carry the team on his back in the tourney
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago De Paul is a really bad team and a bad program.
They have talent, had a great out of conference record, I think they were even ranked for a bit. The Big East schedule chewed them up.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

CaptainRon wrote: 4 years ago
They have talent, had a great out of conference record, I think they were even ranked for a bit. The Big East schedule chewed them up.
They suck.
“We will be good when we are good.”
woodennickel1
ARD

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
CaptainRon wrote: 4 years ago
They suck.
3-0 against the Big 10 non conference. Probably have more quad 1 wins then the bottom five teams in the a10 combined.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

DePaul was a wierd team all year did so well OOC but 3-15 in conference is trash
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Would love to have DePaul in the A10. Better than the bottom 1/3 for sure.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

If DePaul came to the A10, their recruiting/marketing would take a hit ,thus making them even worse.
GO RAMS
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

With Saturday's games the A-10 concluded its regular season and the seedings/pairings for the Barclay's tournament have now been finalized. Several conference tournaments are already underway with the Mountain West getting a ticket to the Big Dance when Utah State upset San Diego State. Belmont of the OVC edged Murray State to get another invite. Other conferences in various stages of tournament play are Missouri Valley, Colonial, the Patriot League, the Big South, the Atlantic Sun, the Southern Conference, Summit League, America East, Northeast, and the West Coast. All remaining conferences will begin play during the coming week.

Only Sunday action of relevance is #25 Michigan visiting #9 Maryland, 12 Noon. On FOX.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

My bad, I totally forgot about DePaul's sterling win over Northwestern (you know Northwestern, the school that has made only one NCAAT appearance, but hey, they're in the B10). But the Demons needed that respite after beating up on Alcorn State which then required them to save energy by crossing over a few blocks to take on the mighty UIC Flames, and on disposing of them, the Demons restored enough of their juices to travel another 40 blocks south to play and rout my alma mater the D3 University of Chicago. Yikes, if you can't compete on academics, dazzle them with your athletic prowess.

Oh where, oh where is Mr. Basketball, George Mikan, when you really need him. The glory days were only 75 years ago.
Last edited by Obadiah 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago My bad, I totally forgot about DePaul's sterling win over Northwestern (you know Northwestern, the team that has never made the NCAAT, but hey, they're in the B10). But the Demons needed that respite after beating up on Alcorn State which then required them to save energy by crossing over a few blocks to take on the mighty UIC Flames, and on disposing of them, the Demons restored enough of their juices to travel another 40 blocks south to play and rout my alma mater the D3 University of Chicago. Yikes, if you can't compete on academics, dazzle them with your athletic prowess.

Oh where, oh where is Mr. Basketball, George Mikan, when you really need him. The glory days were only 75 years ago.
Didn't Northwestern win a game in the 2017 tournament?