Week #12 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: Week #12 - Games of Interest

Unread post by bigappleram »

I think Reef agrees with you and that they shouldn't be getting votes, but I could be wrong. I agree with you they don't deserve any respect yet based on their woeful OOC.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago I think Reef agrees with you and that they shouldn't be getting votes, but I could be wrong. I agree with you they don't deserve any respect yet based on their woeful OOC.
You are right, that's my fault. I was scrolling through in order and now saw and agree with his follow-up post.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes according to the AP poll Duquesne is ranked 37th in the country I think we all agree that’s a joke right now
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 years ago
reef wrote: 4 years ago Ok I will say it Duquesne getting 13 votes is an absolute travesty anyone agree ???
Me personally, I don't feel that way. IMHO, Duquesne has done nothing this season, outside of their home win over St. Louis. They do have a 2nd Q2 win in Indiana St., but with Indiana St.'s NET of 98, that could go either way. So they've played no Q1 games, are 2-0 in Q2 games (with Indiana St on the fringe), and have 2 bad losses, against a schedule ranked 268th in the country, and I'm supposed to feel bad about them struggling to get votes? No, I can't do it. If they go 19-2 with wins over URI on the road and Dayton at home, I'll say they very well could be for real, but you can't play 8 Q3 games and 7 Q4 games to date (out of 17 total games), and cry about disrespect. They have beaten a lot of bad teams which while that might hurt their SOS with the NET, also helps efficiency, MOV, win percentage, etc. IMHO, Duquesne has to play well tonight to show they at least belong and aren't just a paper contender.
Heading into the 18th game of the Season Today:
Duquesne NET = 55
URI NET = 62

Cannot take any team with an NET of 55 lightly this far into the season

We only play Duquesne once. The winner of this game has the tiebreaker advantage going into A10 Tournament Seeding. Critical Must Win Game.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

If I were a Duquesne fan I would be livid with their OOC schedule. A better slate could have put them in position for an at-large bid. Instead, they pretty much have to win the regular season title to even be considered.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago Going into the weekend we were 10th team out of the tournament on bracketville. With our win and other bubble teams going 9-8 we're now the 9th team out going into the weekday games.

Tonight's only bubble game is third to last team in NC State at Virginia at 7 on ESPN. Virginia is one spot behind us
NC State beat Virginia 53-51

In yesterday's action

Last in VCU won at St. Joe's 73-60
First out Purdue lost to #21 Illinois 79-62
Seventh out St. John's lost at Marquette 82-68

Bubble teams at 11-10
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Tonight's bubble games

Third to last bye DePaul vs #25 Creighton at 9 on CBSSN
Fourth to last in Virginia Tech vs North Carolina at 8 on ACCN
Second to last in Georgetown at fourth out Xavier at 6:30 on FS1
Sixth out Saint Louis at Davidson at 7
Eighth out Richmond vs LaSalle at 7
We're ninth out hosting Duquesne at 7
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 years ago If I were a Duquesne fan I would be livid with their OOC schedule. A better slate could have put them in position for an at-large bid. Instead, they pretty much have to win the regular season title to even be considered.
But the are #55 NET and if they win tonight they will jump with a Road Win vs #62 NET URI

If Duquesne keeps winning the BET will rise more

Andy Katz has Duquesne in his Top 35 Teams at #35

I’d not say Duquesne must win the A10. A #55 NET is not bad at 30% through conference play
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I wonder what our NET would be if we had beaten Brown...
Go Rhody
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Duquesne not only played a weak OOC schedule, their A10 schedule is backloaded. If they don’t win tonight I could see them losing 6-7 conference games. Per KenPom their SOS is currently 301st. Their OOC SOS was 321st.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago I wonder what our NET would be if we had beaten Brown...
Still think Richmond was the worse of the two losses. We will be competing with them for a Top 3-4 spot and now they have the tiebreaker on us. Also would have been another Q2 win.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

GW yikes. Thought Fordham might go winless.

Everything else in the league tonight went as expected (I expected Davidson to beat SLU at home).
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago Duquesne not only played a weak OOC schedule, their A10 schedule is backloaded. If they don’t win tonight I could see them losing 6-7 conference games. Per KenPom their SOS is currently 301st. Their OOC SOS was 321st.
Very Baron-esq scheduling right there
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

WKU with the win!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

WKU and North Texas are combined 12-2 in CUSA and tied with one another for first place. That’s working out pretty well for us.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Tulsa is thumping Memphis right now! Wow!
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

The Dude wrote: 4 years ago After seeing Nichols St play Rhody last night, in addition to seeing how other college games are panning out, it would not surprise me if URI ends up with a much better SOS by the time conference play rolls around and some of these out of conference opponents have a chance to rack up some wins. Personally, I think URI's out of conference schedule could end up looking very strong come tournament time.
Oh and I'm just going to leave this here, while I peer a little more into my crystal ball...
The basketball gods are speaking and the Dude must abide.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

The Dude wrote: 4 years ago
The Dude wrote: 4 years ago After seeing Nichols St play Rhody last night, in addition to seeing how other college games are panning out, it would not surprise me if URI ends up with a much better SOS by the time conference play rolls around and some of these out of conference opponents have a chance to rack up some wins. Personally, I think URI's out of conference schedule could end up looking very strong come tournament time.
Oh and I'm just going to leave this here, while I peer a little more into my crystal ball...
The basketball gods are speaking and the Dude must abide.
Enjoy your White Russian.
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago GW yikes. Thought Fordham might go winless.

Everything else in the league tonight went as expected (I expected Davidson to beat SLU at home).
Our old friend Amir Harris having a decent season at GW.
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Friars lose at Seton Hall
Bama wins at Vanderbilt
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Bama is the gift that keeps on giving. Roll Tide. If they can find their way into a Quad 1 win for us that would be Yuuuuuuuuge.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago Bama is the gift that keeps on giving. Roll Tide. If they can find their way into a Quad 1 win for us that would be Yuuuuuuuuge.

I've been watching them recently and they are really firing at all cylinders. One of the most explosive offensive teams in the country.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if they end up a quad 1.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In Wednesday's games URI OOC partners went 3-2 with nice wins by Western Kentucky, Nicholls, and Alabama. Could have been better, but Manhattan suffered a tough 2 point OT loss to Marist.

A-10 went 6-6 on the evening. :D :D :D
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago Tonight's bubble games

Third to last bye DePaul vs #25 Creighton at 9 on CBSSN
Fourth to last in Virginia Tech vs North Carolina at 8 on ACCN
Second to last in Georgetown at fourth out Xavier at 6:30 on FS1
Sixth out Saint Louis at Davidson at 7
Eighth out Richmond vs LaSalle at 7
We're ninth out hosting Duquesne at 7
DePaul lost to Creighton 83-68
Virginia Tech held off last in the ACC North Carolina in OT 79-77
Second to last in Georgetown lost at fourth out Xavier 66-57
Sixth out Saint Louis lost at Davidson 71-59
Eighth out Richmond beat LaSalle 75-57
We beat Duquesne 77-55

Bubble teams are now 15-13
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

In tonight's bubble games

Fourth to last bye USC at #8 Oregon at 11 on ESPNU
Second to last bye Saint Mary's vs San Francisco at 10:30 on CBSSN
Last bye BYU at Pacific at 10
Second out Minnesota at #21 Ohio State at 6:30 on FS1
Fifth out Washington at Utah at 8 on PACN
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

To preempt any talk about how we aren't near the bubble so this doesn't matter, ESPN's projections which run off of its BPI and SOR (strength of record) metrics now projects us in the field as a 12 seed.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... me/group/3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago To preempt any talk about how we aren't near the bubble so this doesn't matter, ESPN's projections which run off of its BPI and SOR (strength of record) metrics now projects us in the field as a 12 seed.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... me/group/3
So you’re saying the Brown loss didn’t unequivocally end our season? :)
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

The season isn’t over yet. It could still end up being kind of a latent dagger since who knows exactly where we will be on selection Sunday. But for now it seems like the win at VCU and the brilliant second half last night have done a ton of work for us and overcome the Brown debacle - at least for now.

The modified bandwagon rolls on.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

TruePoint wrote: 4 years ago The season isn’t over yet. It could still end up being kind of a latent dagger since who knows exactly where we will be on selection Sunday. But for now it seems like the win at VCU and the brilliant second half last night have done a ton of work for us and overcome the Brown debacle - at least for now.

The modified bandwagon rolls on.
I hold my stance that until we beat Dayton and avoid a Q3/Q4 loss we’re not “in” - so I’m just focusing on winning conference games and getting the double bye on the tournament.

That said, if Bama becomes a top 25 team and Q1 win - along with a few other Q2 wins that can hold - we may just need to avoid the land mines.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

ONE.

GAME.

AT.

A.

TIME.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Have to take care of business these next two games on the road to set up another huge one vs. VCU next Friday. Win at SBU and GMU and the RC will be filled to the rafters and rocking next Friday.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I think its the latter Blue. Obviously a Dayton win would be huge. But IMO finishing 2nd is what is tantamount to feeling good heading to Brooklyn.
I feel the national media attention the league got during OOC, the performance of Dayton, and the half dozen teams in the Top 75 NET are going to have the committee feeling like the league has earned at least 1 if not 2 auto bids (beyond Dayton). Beat SLU, sweep VCU, finish in 2nd, avoid landmines and I'd feel pretty good heading to Barclays.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago I think its the latter Blue. Obviously a Dayton win would be huge. But IMO finishing 2nd is what is tantamount to feeling good heading to Brooklyn.
I feel the national media attention the league got during OOC, the performance of Dayton, and the half dozen teams in the Top 75 NET are going to have the committee feeling like the league has earned at least 1 if not 2 auto bids (beyond Dayton). Beat SLU, sweep VCU, finish in 2nd, avoid landmines and I'd feel pretty good heading to Barclays.
I think we're saying the same thing with different verbiage. But I wholeheartedly agree. If you do enough to earn the #2 in the A10, regardless of who you beat, we should be in a very good position.

I think a Dayton win (while avoiding Q3/Q4 losses, essentially winning out at home) would move us to the "in" category. Hence why the bubble talk doesn't woo me at the moment - I'm more focused on the #2 seed in Brooklyn. Hence all of these "must win" tags on the games.

The NET will take care of itself if our good wins can keep winning (Bama, Duquesne, PC, North Texas, Davidson, WKU).
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

No Thursday games in the A-10.

Three games on tap involving URI OOC opponents:

St. Francis (PA) at Long Island U., 7 PM.

Louisiana Tech at Middle Tennessee, 7:30 PM. On ESPN+.

UTSA at North Texas, 8 PM.
Last edited by Obadiah 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

The Brown game may just be the excuse the Cartel Invitational Selection Committee needs to push us off the bubble.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago I think its the latter Blue. Obviously a Dayton win would be huge. But IMO finishing 2nd is what is tantamount to feeling good heading to Brooklyn.
I think we're saying the same thing with different verbiage. But I wholeheartedly agree. If you do enough to earn the #2 in the A10, regardless of who you beat, we should be in a very good position.

I think a Dayton win (while avoiding Q3/Q4 losses, essentially winning out at home) would move us to the "in" category. Hence why the bubble talk doesn't woo me at the moment - I'm more focused on the #2 seed in Brooklyn. Hence all of these "must win" tags on the games.

The NET will take care of itself if our good wins can keep winning (Bama, Duquesne, PC, North Texas, Davidson, WKU).
Yes indeed no doubt about this !!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I guess it takes more than a #25 ranking for Houston to have a good crowd. EmBaronsing!!!!!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Obadiah wrote: 4 years ago No Thursday games in the A-10.

Three games on tap involving URI OOC opponents:

St. Francis (PA) at Long Island U., 7 PM.

Louisiana Tech at Middle Tennessee, 7:30 PM. On ESPN+.

UTSA at North Texas, 8 PM.
Opponents go 2- 1 on the night. LIU and North Texas win while MTSU loses.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

North Texas, a certified wagon, has moved up to 73 in Kenpom. Mostly on the strength of North Texas’s utter dismantling of UTSA, Rhody moved up again as well - currently 57.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago In tonight's bubble games

Fourth to last bye USC at #8 Oregon at 11 on ESPNU
Second to last bye Saint Mary's vs San Francisco at 10:30 on CBSSN
Last bye BYU at Pacific at 10
Second out Minnesota at #21 Ohio State at 6:30 on FS1
Fifth out Washington at Utah at 8 on PACN
Fourth to last bye USC lost at #8 Oregon 79-70 in double overtime
Second to last bye Saint Mary's beat San Francisco 58-48
Last bye BYU beat Pacific 74-60
Second out Minnesota won at #21 Ohio State 62-59
Fifth out Washington lost at Utah 67-66

Bubble teams are 18-16
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

In the bracket update that came out this morning, URI has moved to 4th team out of the tournament. COMMENCE BUBBLE WATCH 2020!!!

There are no bubble games tonight. Rest up for the weekend
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago In the bracket update that came out this morning, URI has moved to 4th team out of the tournament. COMMENCE BUBBLE WATCH 2020!!!

There are no bubble games tonight. Rest up for the weekend
Here is relevant link:

https://bracketville.wordpress.com/bracketology/
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 years ago The Brown game may just be the excuse the Cartel Invitational Selection Committee needs to push us off the bubble.
Except everyone has a "Brown game" this year. The margin for error is razor thin and we can't afford a 2nd, but NET helps to account for those type of games.

Very obviously with the NET in the 50s and a first four out tag on a couple bracketology sites, we've very much back in the hunt.

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Definitely in the hunt. Just comes down to winning the games. I think it's going to be clear cut whether we're in or out. I get that the NET/BPI/KP/WTH et al are fun to follow, but at the end of the season, I believe we'll know before the TV show.
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

I need Dayton to blow the shit out of Richmond saturday
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rhodysurf wrote: 4 years ago I need Dayton to blow the shit out of Richmond saturday
Nope, don't play for second. Win the conference instead. jmho
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rhodysurf wrote: 4 years ago I need Dayton to blow the shit out of Richmond saturday
Definitely do not want Richmond to win.
Rhody fans should be hoping to finish in second place regular season. If somehow we got by Dayton that is gravy on top of gravy.
We are competing with Richmond and VCU for an at large spot. Any big win by either of them (beating Dayton) hurts Rhody’s at large chances.
“We will be good when we are good.”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

1stl.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
Definitely do not want Richmond to win.
Rhody fans should be hoping to finish in second place regular season. If somehow we got by Dayton that is gravy on top of gravy.
We are competing with Richmond and VCU for an at large spot. Any big win by either of them (beating Dayton) hurts Rhody’s at large chances.

This x1000. I thought I was super optimistic but if anyone thinks URI has a shot at finishing ahead of Dayton.... hoo boy.