Asst. Coach Posting?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Re: Asst. Coach Posting ?

Unread post by DC_Rams »

URIRecruitingInfo wrote: 5 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago I didn’t know if Rambone had additional information regarding comments by Ty.
The only thing I have seen publicly (that Ace was referring to) was that Ty posted a picture on his IG story with Terrence Clarke and others from Expressions in LA. This would’ve been a clear recruiting violation (Quiet Period) if he was still on the coaching staff. He was no longer on the staff. He left last week.
Also, I’m sure he and the team have known now for weeks, (knock on wood) no transfer talk yet. Dana would be the only one with close ties to Ty, and it appeared he was here with the team celebratingTJ’s Birthday yesterday.
He was reportedly lead on Toppin.
I said that, but Toppin isn’t going anywhere.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago Was strike 1 the fight at the concert at the RC?
Duh.

;-P
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Duh.

;-P
I still don't remember the results from all of that. Was he suspended?
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago
Duh.

;-P

He was put on paid administrative leave for that per university personnel guidelines.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Another former Rhody alum with experience still may be looking for employment - Tyson Wheeler. Worth an interview. I am always for hiring the best, whether it is an alum or not. If Cox doesn't feel he is what is needed right now, no harm. Wheeler however at the minimum deserves some consideration.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago Another former Rhody alum with experience still may be looking for employment - Tyson Wheeler. Worth an interview. I am always for hiring the best, whether it is an alum or not. If Cox doesn't feel he is what is needed right now, no harm. Wheeler however at the minimum deserves some consideration.
Things to consider.

1. Is the candidate a reputable recruiter?
2. If the answer is yes, in what states? (Other then the DMV)
3. Can they develop players?
4. Can they scout?
5. Can they be trusted?
6. Do they know X’s and O’s?

Cox needs all of that wrapped in or split between 2 guys.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago

Duh.

;-P

He was put on paid administrative leave for that per university personnel guidelines.
CRS....That's what happens when you hit your 60s.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

RF1 wrote: 5 years ago Another former Rhody alum with experience still may be looking for employment - Tyson Wheeler. Worth an interview. I am always for hiring the best, whether it is an alum or not. If Cox doesn't feel he is what is needed right now, no harm. Wheeler however at the minimum deserves some consideration.
Things to consider.

1. Is the candidate a reputable recruiter?
2. If the answer is yes, in what states? (Other then the DMV)
3. Can they develop players?
4. Can they scout?
5. Can they be trusted?
6. Do they know X’s and O’s?

Cox needs all of that wrapped in or split between 2 guys.
Good list. My feeling is Cox put too much emphasis on #6 because he thought that's where he needed the most help. Best I can tell Sutton hasn't been the lead recruiter on anyone they got with one disastrous exception. Hire recruiters who can work with players.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

I’m hearing that John Carroll might be coming back. My guess is if that happens they try to get a coach with recruiting connections or someone that’s main focus is recruiting.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Aren't Carroll and Sutton basically the same person?
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago Aren't Carroll and Sutton basically the same person?
It really seems like they are. Sutton is more into the social posts on media outlets. Other than that it does seem like they are the same. Need someone younger or with long time recruiting connections to high school coaches or hot areas.
Last edited by RamStock 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Certainly hope the carrol is doing well but I think it’s more than a coincidence that the team turned it around at the time he left the team.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago Aren't Carroll and Sutton basically the same person?
I imagine that their respective wives would push back on this assertion just a bit.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago I’m hearing that John Carroll might be coming back. My guess is if that happens they try to get a coach with recruiting connections or someone that’s main focus is recruiting.
That would be the John Farrell-ist situation ever.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
RamStock wrote: 5 years ago I’m hearing that John Carroll might be coming back. My guess is if that happens they try to get a coach with recruiting connections or someone that’s main focus is recruiting.
That would be the John Farrell-ist situation ever.
Maybe it's a possibility, but I don't think I'd see him coming back. Time will tell.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I like Tyson Wheeler or P Murph for one of the spots , have experience as Assistants and great ties to the University
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Murphy is out for obvious reasons (I would assume), and I still don't get the Wheeler idea either. Other than the fact that he wore a URI jersey before, what does he bring to the table? I love the guy, but would hope we can do better than an assistant from a not very good Fairfield program.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

^This
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago Let's not forget that Ty had one strike against him so Thorr was not going to forgive another misstep
Again, why I state, the school will never release the info publicly. It’s probably best most don’t know why...let’s just move forward.
Must know all of the details so that if a public flogging on this board is necessary, it can be properly staged. :lol:
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago Murphy is out for obvious reasons (I would assume), and I still don't get the Wheeler idea either. Other than the fact that he wore a URI jersey before, what does he bring to the table? I love the guy, but would hope we can do better than an assistant from a not very good Fairfield program.
Tyson wasn't included in the lengthy interview list for Carroll's opening. He isn't being considered.

I don't see Carroll coming back. I believe they already have an accepted offer from his replacement.
“We will be good when we are good.”
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
adam914 wrote: 5 years ago Murphy is out for obvious reasons (I would assume), and I still don't get the Wheeler idea either. Other than the fact that he wore a URI jersey before, what does he bring to the table? I love the guy, but would hope we can do better than an assistant from a not very good Fairfield program.
Tyson wasn't included in the lengthy interview list for Carroll's opening. He isn't being considered.

I don't see Carroll coming back. I believe they already have an accepted offer from his replacement.
They are holding his position and if he feels healthy will be back coaching with URI. This is from a pretty good source. It depends upon whether he is healthy enough. I think the main focus it to get a new assistant and if Carroll isn’t up to it they will move on and fill the second spot
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago

They are holding his position and if he feels healthy will be back coaching with URI. This is from a pretty good source. It depends upon whether he is healthy enough. I think the main focus it to get a new assistant and if Carroll isn’t up to it they will move on and fill the second spot
Seems like a bad decision to me. How long does Cox hold the position for? Why do Cox and Thorr think Rhody can compete understaffed again. Carroll will be 64 years old when the season starts. He has been out for 3 1/2 months. What is to say that he doesn't have the health problem reoccur during the season again.

Cox interviewed candidates to replace Carroll. Those candidates have different skills than your lead recruiting assistant. So who does he fill the other open spot with while waiting on Carroll? I don't think it would be from the same candidate pool. Also, Ty made less than Carroll so Cox will have to go after didn't candidates. If this is the case, we could go through the summer practices short a player development coach. He has to hire the recruiting assistant while waiting for Carroll decision.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I hope they do, obviously not ideal to have two open coaching spots right now.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago

Seems like a bad decision to me. How long does Cox hold the position for? Why do Cox and Thorr think Rhody can compete understaffed again. Carroll will be 64 years old when the season starts. He has been out for 3 1/2 months. What is to say that he doesn't have the health problem reoccur during the season again.

Cox interviewed candidates to replace Carroll. Those candidates have different skills than your lead recruiting assistant. So who does he fill the other open spot with while waiting on Carroll? I don't think it would be from the same candidate pool. Also, Ty made less than Carroll so Cox will have to go after didn't candidates. If this is the case, we could go through the summer practices short a player development coach. He has to hire the recruiting assistant while waiting for Carroll decision.
I think this has more to do with Thorr than it does with Cox.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Are you saying the Head Coach doesn’t have the authority to hire his Assistant Coaches?
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

There is a former D1 head coach that was fired last year and had a great run as a D3 coach here in the state. I understand he has a very strong interest in one of the open slots and would be excellent. Complete opposite of Ty Boswell, He would add to the professionalism and character to the staff.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 5 years ago There is a former D1 head coach that was fired last year and had a great run as a D3 coach here in the state. I understand he has a very strong interest in one of the open slots and would be excellent. Complete opposite of Ty Boswell, He would add to the professionalism and character to the staff.
You should call Thorr.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 5 years ago There is a former D1 head coach that was fired last year and had a great run as a D3 coach here in the state. I understand he has a very strong interest in one of the open slots and would be excellent. Complete opposite of Ty Boswell, He would add to the professionalism and character to the staff.
I can only think of one D3 school in the state and their mascot is the same name as a movie?
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Well there is two d3 schools. Johnson &Wales is technically one too. But not saying that is the school cameron was talking about.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Are you saying the Head Coach doesn’t have the authority to hire his Assistant Coaches?
I’m not saying that at all, this is all assumption. There is no way DC is okay with not having his staff in place.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Thinking bob walsh? Cameron is referring to but I could be wrong.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

From what I know Carroll is not coming back. You can't leave a spot open just in case.

Either you have an assistant or you don't. Holding a spot hostage doesn't work. They have a hire waiting to be announced.

I also agree things got better when Carroll left. For what reasons I don't know, but the team played a LOT better after he left.

That's unfortunate, but it is what it is. Hopefully URI will continue to pay Carroll's health benefits, that's the right thing to do.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

sevegny7 wrote: 5 years ago Thinking bob walsh? Cameron is referring to but I could be wrong.
He was fired from Maine. He knows his Xs and Os but I doubt he’s got any recruiting cred.
Slava Ukraini!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

sevegny7 wrote: 5 years ago Well there is two d3 schools. Johnson &Wales is technically one too. But not saying that is the school cameron was talking about.
I always forget about that school. Whoops!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago From what I know Carroll is not coming back. You can't leave a spot open just in case.

Either you have an assistant or you don't. Holding a spot hostage doesn't work. They have a hire waiting to be announced.

I also agree things got better when Carroll left. For what reasons I don't know, but the team played a LOT better after he left.

That's unfortunate, but it is what it is. Hopefully URI will continue to pay Carroll's health benefits, that's the right thing to do.

Not certain RI law would allow for that. Would be a slippery slope based on my knowledge of state employment.
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Rhody74 wrote: 5 years ago
sevegny7 wrote: 5 years ago Thinking bob walsh? Cameron is referring to but I could be wrong.
He was fired from Maine. He knows his Xs and Os but I doubt he’s got any recruiting cred.
He has been working at IMG in Florida since last fall overseeing their entire basketball operation so that can’t hurt.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

KevanBoyles wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody74 wrote: 5 years ago
He has been working at IMG in Florida since last fall overseeing their entire basketball operation so that can’t hurt.
Let's say we did hire Walsh. Would there be any rule restricting IMG kids from coming here?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

So we have no assistant coaches right now?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago So we have no assistant coaches right now?
Looks that way. Maybe we should volunteer? :lol:
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago
We could still go to the pub before games, there's that :lol:
RhodyMadness072
Michael Andersen

Unread post by RhodyMadness072 »

Walsh actually recruited very well at Maine. The problem was his players didn't stay and transferred to high major programs. He was great at getting them just not keeping him. With his ties to IMG the last two years (#1 ranked prep team in the country) he could be a good fit.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Kevin Sutton
TJ (acting)
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Kevin Sutton
TJ (acting)
I was in the camp that loved TJ but didn’t think he could be a viable candidate to replace Carroll with Ty on staff. I wonder, depending on the profile of the guy brought into the Carroll spot, if TJ could be a candidate to fill the Ty spot?
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Walsh was a top candidate one year for a spot on Baron's staff.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Kevin Sutton
TJ (acting)
I was in the camp that loved TJ but didn’t think he could be a viable candidate to replace Carroll with Ty on staff. I wonder, depending on the profile of the guy brought into the Carroll spot, if TJ could be a candidate to fill the Ty spot?
It’s not unprecedented- a guy like Greg Youncofski got elevated to assistant coach when another coach had to be let go late, but then he returned to his old role a year later when they had more time to go through the hiring process.

I don’t think it’s the best solution in this case, but I think my feelings towards TJ would make it hard for me to be too critical of the move.
Last edited by ace 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

theblueram wrote: 5 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago
We could still go to the pub before games, there's that :lol:

LMFAO!!!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Kevin Sutton
TJ (acting)

FWIW TJ does at least have a few years of coaching experience (high school level, I know) when he went home to MI after he graduated. Now I would say he'd be a viable candidate because of the relationships he's built with the players, but that's my take. At this rate I don't think he's too young and think he's gained tremendous experience the past few months.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I would take TJ over Carroll.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I like the Walsh suggestion for 1 of the roles. He recruited Isaac Vann (VCU starter) amongst at least 2 others that moved on to meaningful roles at higher majors. He is a great X/O guy supposedly, he now has ties to IMG and is very well regarded in the coaching community. I like it a lot. Cox needs 1 guy similar to what he was to Dan, seasoned and experienced with both recruiting and coaching skills. Then go get a recruiting specialist to fill it out.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago I like the Walsh suggestion for 1 of the roles. He recruited Isaac Vann (VCU starter) amongst at least 2 others that moved on to meaningful roles at higher majors. He is a great X/O guy supposedly, he now has ties to IMG and is very well regarded in the coaching community. I like it a lot. Cox needs 1 guy similar to what he was to Dan, seasoned and experienced with both recruiting and coaching skills. Then go get a recruiting specialist to fill it out.
I said the same in the bonkers Wood thread- Dave needs to find his own Dave. The follow-up comment said that he had wanted Van Macon to be that guy but that URI couldn’t afford him.