2019 Jamaica Classic - November 22-24

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2019 Jamaica Classic - November 22-24

Unread post by RF1 »

It looks like the field is now complete. Who do you want to play for the two games in Kingston?

Team | Location | LY NET Rank | LY Record
UMBC | Baltimore-MD | #228 | 21-13
NC A&T | Greensboro-NC | #293 | 19-13
Samford | Homewood-AL | #161 | 17-16
Nicholls State | Thibodaux-LA | #314 | 14-17
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Two best teams of course .... UMBC and Samford, per your list.
Slava Ukraini!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Holy crap, SOS killer right here.
GO RAMS
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

We have plenty of RPI boosters on the schedule already, every team plays a couple cupcakes and really 160 and 220 isn’t all that bad. Fordham, Umass, St Joe’s and maybe others will be bigger RPI killers.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The two home games versus Jamaica Classic road teams won't be much worse than ALL the games in the Diamond Head Classic last year which included one game on an opponent's homecourt. Making it even better are the two games in Jamaica which will come from a group that includes LSU (#16 28-7), Utah State (#31 28-7), North Texas (#147 21-12).

LY Diamond head Classic Games
Bucknell #151 21-12
Hawaii #192 18-13
Charlotte #266 8-21

The Jamaica Classic will be a far better tournament on many fronts than last year's Diamond Head Classic. Four games instead of three, two home games, no game on an opponent's floor, possibility of facing some highly ranked teams.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Lets hope the results turn out better as well...that Hawaii tournament last year was so depressing.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

LSU and Utah State are very likely to be good.

Is there a type of seeding system that would be based off of how good teams are expected to be?

If there is I feel like we would match up with Utah State then play either LSU or NT.

I feel like we will probably play UMBC and NC A&T. Since they're closest to us.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 years ago LSU and Utah State are very likely to be good.

Is there a type of seeding system that would be based off of how good teams are expected to be?

If there is I feel like we would match up with Utah State then play either LSU or NT.

I feel like we will probably play UMBC and NC A&T. Since they're closest to us.
We are NOT playing both LSU and Utah State. They are the top two teams and have been promised a game against each other. URI will play one of them and play North Texas. The schedule will be something like this).

Day One
URI vs Utah State
N Texas vs LSU

Day Three
URI vs N Texas
LSU vs Utah State
“We will be good when we are good.”
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

That's lame.
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 years ago That's lame.
How is it lame. If LSU and Utah St are playing each other(and they should), then we can’t play them both.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Rhodyram wrote: 5 years ago
How is it lame. If LSU and Utah St are playing each other(and they should), then we can’t play them both.

I wanna play LSU and Utah State! :(
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Still seems possible we play LSU and North Texas instead of Utah State and North Texas.

Maybe more likely.

If LSU is considered the best then they get the best matchups.

Or maybe they dont want no PART OF WHAT WE GOT FOR THEM because they remember the last time we played.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 years ago Still seems possible we play LSU and North Texas instead of Utah State and North Texas.

Maybe more likely.

If LSU is considered the best then they get the best matchups.

Or maybe they dont want no PART OF WHAT WE GOT FOR THEM because they remember the last time we played.
I believe Utah State is rated ahead of LSU in most preseason evaluations.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 years ago

We should just let the committee know. I am sure they will change it for you.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 5 years ago

We should just let the committee know. I am sure they will change it for you.

You really think so? :o

Golly that would be swell!
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

At this point, we don’t know what kind of program LSU will have by then. An interim coach? Players transferring away from probation?

Of course, obvious nepotism hire Dan Gavitt has but one job — don’t piss off The Cartel.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

LSU will have Will Wade and will have a strong team with Javonte Smart returning to school (insert "strong ass offer" joke here), Skylar Mays for his sophomore year, and enrolling 5* Trendon Watford (a top-20 player in the '19 class). Even if they are 1 of the 6 programs receiving a notice of allegations (which I don't think they are), it won't impact the 19-20 season because of the appeal/response time given to programs. I think LSU ends up ranking higher than USU in NET and KenPom by the end of the season.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

This news from Jon Rothstein seems to be further confirmation that UMBC is in the Jamaica Classic as has been rumored. My guess is that with UMBC being the closest team to Kingston, their other US game will be at URI.

Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

As predicted
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

So do we play Nicholls and NC A&T at home?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

CamsRams wrote: 4 years ago So do we play Nicholls and NC A&T at home?
They still need to add two more of the lower level teams.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This is what I heard today from Jamaica Classic Office:

This is an MTE tournament so we have 2 winners in 2 divisions. There are predetermined matchups which we'll be announcing shortly, but Day 1 does not change the Day 2 schedule. To my knowledge the URI-UNT matchup will take place on Friday.
We've signed UMBC this year as well and will be announcing the eighth team in the coming days.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago This is what I heard today from Jamaica Classic Office:

This is an MTE tournament so we have 2 winners in 2 divisions. There are predetermined matchups which we'll be announcing shortly, but Day 1 does not change the Day 2 schedule. To my knowledge the URI-UNT matchup will take place on Friday.
We've signed UMBC this year as well and will be announcing the eighth team in the coming days.
This would make the schedule announced by URI this week wrong for Friday (it has LSU as opponent) and Sunday it has Utah St OR N. Texas. The press release highlighted the chance to play Utah St. Based on the match ups in last year’s event, I believe gorhody site is incorrect.

I don’t see how you have a champion/winner in each division. URI and Utah St are in the same division and could both win all their games (as could LSU and N. Texas).
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
ramster wrote: 4 years ago This is what I heard today from Jamaica Classic Office:

This would make the schedule announced by URI this week wrong for Friday (it has LSU as opponent) and Sunday it has Utah St OR N. Texas. The press release highlighted the chance to play Utah St. Based on the match ups in last year’s event, I believe gorhody site is incorrect.

I don’t see how you have a champion/winner in each division. URI and Utah St are in the same division and could both win all their games (as could LSU and N. Texas).
Last year the match ups were fixed beforehand, just as I was told yesterday by Jamaica Classic staff member.
Last season Loyola Marymount was declared the winner. They finished 2-0.
With the fixed games bracket it is possible that 2 teams can finish 2-0 and 2 teams can finish 0-2. You can also have 2-0, 1-1, 1-1 and 0-2.
I believe the URI GoRhody article is incorrect. We cannot play Utah State. We are set with LSU and North Texas.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sports/l ... sic_150143
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

UMBC is now listed on the Jamaica Classic Website

One more team to be made official. Should be announced very soon.

https://www.jamaicaclassic.com/
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

LSU has talent
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago UMBC is now listed on the Jamaica Classic Website

At the rate this is moving, we should have public confirmation of the last school in a few months.

The reason URI has a still as yet unnamed home opponent is likely because it is probable this team will be it. (Samford per rumors)
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago

At the rate this is moving, we should have public confirmation of the last school in a few months.

The reason URI has a still as yet unnamed home opponent is likely because it is probable this team will be it. (Samford per rumors)
I doubt that it will be months....

On July 31 I received this response from Jamaica Classic
Take it for what it is worth but just this week UMBC was added to the Website as the contract was signed to bring the total to 7 teams.

NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago

Take it for what it is worth but just this week UMBC was added to the Website as the contract was signed to bring the total to 7 teams.

"In the coming days." Is that like Trump's "in two weeks?"
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NHRamFan wrote: 4 years ago

As I was told by Jamaica Classic staff-member, the 8th Team was announced today....Eastern Michigan

LSU
Utah State
URI
North Texas

UMBC
Nichols State
NC A&T
Eastern Michigan

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NHRamFan wrote: 4 years ago

As I was told by a Jamaica Classic staff-member last week that the 8th team would be announced within days, the 8th Team was announced today....Eastern Michigan
The 8 Teams:

LSU
Utah State
URI
North Texas

UMBC
Nichols State
NC A&T
Eastern Michigan

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I would think we should then soon know that last TBD home opponent. Would think it is probably going to be Eastern Michigan.

MAC member Eastern Michigan was 15-17 last year with an NET ranking of #162. This does not include the four games they played versus non D1 teams.
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

Alma mater of Earl Boykins
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

URI96 wrote: 4 years ago Alma mater of Earl Boykins
Boykins could ball, all 5'5" of him. Remember when they handed a beat down to the Dukies in the NCAA tournament
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The Rams are 4-0 all-time versus Eastern Michigan with the most recent win coming in 2007, 92-75, a game in the Islander Invitational in Corpus Christi, TX
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Why did URI not get to play two home games versus Jamaica Classic participants like some of the other tournament designated home teams?

North Texas - NC A&T and Eastern Michigan https://meangreensports.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=176
LSU - Nicholls State and UMBC http://www.lsusports.net/SportSelect.db ... PSID=27828
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Would love for Bill Koch to explain more about how these MTE tournaments work. Do home teams have to provide a guaranteed gate for the games on their campus? If a tournament is supposed to be four games, how then can some participants play less than that number? How are some teams chosen to get the full number of games while others do not (such as LSU and N Texas St for the Jamaica Classic). How can other non participant teams play a game that is designated part of the tournament (such as Manhattan may be)?

These MTE tournaments are increasingly getting more complicated making little sense. Furthermore, there is now a move by the NCAA to once gain change them. The biggest change would be these events would be capped at three games. A team would then most likely not get two home games.

College Basketball’s Early Season Events — And Schedules — May Change For 2020-21
https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2019 ... 20-21-ncaa
Last edited by RF1 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I think the thing to remember about these in-season tournaments is that they aren't really "tournaments"...but a reason to get a bunch of teams together for a block of games. And if some play more than others...no biggie...
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 4 years ago Would love for Bill Koch to explain more about how these MTE tournaments work. Do home teams have to provide a guaranteed gate for the games on their campus? If a tournament is supposed to be four games, how then can some participants play less than that number? How are some teams chosen to get the full number of games while others do not (such as LSU and N Texas St for the Jamaica Classic). How can other non participant teams play a game that is designated part of the tournament (such as Manhattan may be)?

These MTE tournaments are increasingly getting more complicated making little sense. Furthermore, there is now a move by the NCAA to once gain change them. The biggest change would be these events would be capped at three games. A team would then most likely not get two home games.

College Basketball’s Early Season Events — And Schedules — May Change For 2020-21
https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2019 ... 20-21-ncaa
Manhattan game is not part of the Jamaica Classic - it’s just an added game that brings us up to 30 games

A team withdrew from the Jamaica Classic, Sienna, a team we were likely scheduled to play. North Texas, Eastern Michigan and UMBC were relatively late adds to the tournament.
Tough to reschedule games when a team drops like that but Tournament people tried. URI already has 7 games in the month of November

Getting another game against the likes of NC A&T, Eastern Michigan or UMBC is not a great loss. Important thing is we got the prestigious game with LSU. North Texas is a good game also. These MTE Tournaments give good to great opportunities for 2 games but then 2 games to just fill the schedule at home.

No big loss to me. How we prepare and develop our line up for Conference play is huge. Does playing UMBC, NC A&T or Eastern Michigan hurt that? A little arguably. Unfortunately Sienna dropped fairly late.

We need to focus on Conference preparedness and beat out VCU, Dayton, Davidson, St Bonaventure, Saint Louis, etc. we need to finish Top 4 in Conference and do well in the A10 Tournament to have a chance at the NCAA.

Overall I’d rate our staff very high with the IOC Schedule they were able to put together this season.

Second 4 Tier
North Carolina A&T
Nichols State
Maryland Baltimore County
Eastern Michigan

First 4 Tier
Utah State
URI
North Texas
LSU
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The 2019 Jersey Mike’s Jamaica Classic Game Schedule

Friday, November 22
Game #1- Nicholls State vs. North Carolina A&T- 11:30am ET
Game #2 - UMBC vs. Eastern Michigan- 2pm ET
Game #3 - North Texas vs. Rhode Island- 4:30pm ET
Game #4 - LSU vs. Utah State- 7pm ET

Sunday, November 24
Game #5- North Carolina A&T vs. Eastern Michigan-12pm ET
Game #6 - LSU vs. Rhode Island- 2:30pm ET
Game #7 - North Texas vs. Utah State- 6:30pm ET
Game #8 - Nicholls State vs. UMBC- 9pm ET
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

We wanted URI to get a game against LSU. We reacted to name recognition and P5.
Utah State is the best team in the Classic. They are currently ranked #17 in AP.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago We wanted URI to get a game against LSU. We reacted to name recognition and P5.
Utah State is the best team in the Classic. They are currently ranked #17 in AP.
I agree on Utah State. They haven’t even had their center yet who is a sophomore and who tested the nba draft. This team could make some serious noise in the tourney
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

So, who’s going to Jamaica?
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago So, who’s going to Jamaica?
.......hopefully Steve and Don......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

LSU lost it’s ranking so we won’t get a shot at a top 25. Still a great game but wished they were ranked.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Can we switch to Utah State 😜. We really meant we wanted to play Utah State. They are ranked 15th.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Utah State is an AWFUL matchup for us. They are a better version of Davidson in my opinion.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

section(105) wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago So, who’s going to Jamaica?
.......hopefully Steve and Don......
They are going down on Wednesday