2/22 | Davidson | 9:00PM (ESPN2)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Re: 2/22 | Davidson | 9:00PM (ESPN2)

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I don't know what will happen tomorrow night. But, one thing is for certain. If we lose, we can forget about getting an at-large bid to the tournament. Pretty sure of that. 😀
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

ramfan85 wrote: 5 years ago I don't know what will happen tomorrow night. But, one thing is for certain. If we lose, we can forget about getting an at-large bid to the tournament. Pretty sure of that. 😀
That ship sailed along time ago.
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago Wins over a solid St. Louis team and VCU so that could be a factor to what this team is capable of doing.
Those wins are evidence that confidence is the primary problem. Look at VCU on Tuesday. Billed as a terrible 3 point shooting team, they hit 11 3s because they shot with confidence.

When confidence is the problem, the coach doesn’t need to find a fix, he just has to get the players to believe he discovered the solution. And having the same game plan game after game isn’t the answer.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....at large bid ? AT LARGE BID ?.....trying to summon my Jim Mora voice.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I can't believe there are people that didn't get the at large joke
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

So they don't wear team gear to practice?!?
WTF?!?

I might search for different motivation, so can someone explain the rationale of that decision?
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

rhodyrudder wrote: 5 years ago So they don't wear team gear to practice?!?
WTF?!?

I might search for different motivation, so can someone explain the rationale of that decision?
.......can’t explain, it was just on sports WPRI, neva worked for my CYO team...
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Justin Sua was hired a few years ago to help with the psyche of the team that ended up going to the round of 32 two years in a row. He's no longer here, as he's with a pro team (I forgot which one, or even which sport.) Do we have anyone on the staff like that now? Because this team seems to need someone like that even a lot more than Dan's teams did.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If players privileges are being threatened or being taken away, it sure doesn't seem like it's working.

With this group, it could be having the opposite of the intended effect.

Unhappy players could mean ex players.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

How is it a privilege to wear practice gear?
Can you imagine how terrible it would look if you showed up at a spring training workout and the team was wearing all different hats and gear?
I mean seriously, we're the freaking URI basketball team!
We're a family!!!
What, if I'm coming to practice, you don't care if I wear a Lebron jersey? How about a VCU or a Davidson pair of shorts?
How bout my UnderArmor kicks?

This is absolutely astonishing. Now granted, I have no idea what the situation actually is... :D
so why would that prevent me from blasting it on the internet...
But I want my team wearing F-ing RHODY basketball gear EVERY SINGLE TIME THEY SHOW UP FOR PRACTICE!!!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Some coaches will take gear, close off locker room perks, that kind of stuff. I’m not saying I agree with the approach, but it’s not unheard of.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Some coaches will make roster changes and sit people who are not performing for whatever reason
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rhodyrudder wrote: 5 years ago How is it a privilege to wear practice gear?
Can you imagine how terrible it would look if you showed up at a spring training workout and the team was wearing all different hats and gear?
We're a family!!!
What, if I'm coming to practice, you don't care if I wear a Lebron jersey? How about a VCU or a Davidson pair of shorts?

This is absolutely astonishing. Now granted, I have no idea what the situation actually is... :D
But I want my team wearing F-ing RHODY basketball gear EVERY SINGLE TIME THEY SHOW UP FOR PRACTICE!!!
Wow...this is the silliest thing I never heard of...withholding practice gear? Seriously? Probably not many aware of this because it's so stupid... :roll:
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

We're a family!!!

Might as well make RJ happy and somebody where a Fryyuzzzzz Jersey
Rhodygirl2
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodygirl2 »

When they wore the light blue uniforms for the Fordham game I assumed it was a statement that they hadn’t earned the right to wear the home jersey. If that’s the case, it didn’t work then...
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

A novel idea would be to not allow rediculous dunk attempts in the warm ups pre-game. Now that would disappoint a bunch of players. What would they do? Actually practice their shooting? Who needs that?
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

I just saw UConn is 4-8 :D :D :D
I'm not bitter though
Wonder if Hurls has taken the practice gear away from his boys

Seriously, no wonder we can't shoot...
Dudes are like, "I can't practice with no gear."

Zen question of the day: Is there a naked basketball player emoji?
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Rhodygirl2 wrote: 5 years ago When they wore the light blue uniforms for the Fordham game I assumed it was a statement that they hadn’t earned the right to wear the home jersey. If that’s the case, it didn’t work then...
Just realized that, very odd.
GO RAMS
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rhodyrudder wrote: 5 years ago I just saw UConn is 4-8 :D :D :D
I'm not bitter though
Wonder if Hurls has taken the practice gear away from his boys
No, he’s generally really pleased with their effort and the development of some of the younger guys. It’s tough to get past injuries and break some bad habits. There’s a whole thread about it.

The practice gear thing is really not that strange. I don’t agree with it, but the thinking is that coaches don’t feel like their guys are representing themselves and the program the right way, so they don’t get to wear its name on their chest. I’m not sure how it matches up with his recent quotes about managing the psyche of his guys, though. I often find punitive things like this to not be effective, but Cox certainly isn’t the first to try it.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

FullSizeRender.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

rhodyrudder wrote: 5 years ago FullSizeRender.jpg

Omigawd I can't unsee that!! :shock:

Is that how they're practicing now?!
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

ace wrote: 5 years ago Some coaches will take gear, close off locker room perks, that kind of stuff. I’m not saying I agree with the approach, but it’s not unheard of.
https://www.omaha.com/huskers/tim-miles ... cf086.html

Here's an example.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Davidson -2 is the way to bet. It seems like a trap game with the spread this low. URI not only has can't shoot, seems to have quit and is a bad basketball team, but Davidson is coming off a tough loss and will be focused with a coach that is light years ahead of Cox.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Normally I might expect at least a good effort at home....but the last 2 games here have changed my mind.

We sucked against Fordham and quit against Dayton.....so I don't expect much from this game tonight.

We might play good defense for a while...but Davidson has shown the ability to go on serious runs when they get hot from 3, and our defense has shown that they have killer lapses from time to time.

Plus we haven't shot well since whenever...so this is a 15 pt. loss in my book.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

rambone 78 wrote: 5 years ago If players privileges are being threatened or being taken away, it sure doesn't seem like it's working.

With this group, it could be having the opposite of the intended effect.

Unhappy players could mean ex players.
may i suggest taking away minutes instead of gear ?

for instance. the 1st time F(L)ATTS takes an out of control shot and plays hero ball, i would yank him out so fast and make him think about it.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

If Cox is showing signs of discipline by taking gear away, then I'm all for it.
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Cox seems averse to limiting Fatts and CT's minutes.

Maybe if Hammond is good we will see more bench time for Fatts since he can't play the 2, and Dowtin can run the point more like he should.

As for CT? Who knows with him. Someone said he won't be here next season....a guess or does someone know something?

Sometimes he gives us something, and many other times it seems like he would rather loaf than play....relying on him this season has been mostly a disaster...he's just not that good. And hasn't been his entire time here. He's a role player that's been overused at the expense of the freshmen.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

First thing I would take away is Fatts IG. He does more stories than my 14 year old niece and she's on her phone 24/7
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

You wonder how much time these guys spend in the gym.

If they do spend a lot of time there, are they learning anything?

Are they being taught anything? Or are they listening?
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

steveystuds06 wrote: 5 years ago First thing I would take away is Fatts IG. He does more stories than my 14 year old niece and she's on her phone 24/7
LOL. I do about 3 stories a day on my account, I cannot knock anyone for theirs ever. Only IG behavior that PEEVES me is when people add an ENTIRE CONCERT to their story. OMG!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Are we sure they are practicing?

Pull off the upset tonight baby! No time like the present to start heading in the right direction!
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Seawrightspostgame wrote: 5 years ago Are we sure they are practicing?

Pull off the upset tonight baby! No time like the present to start heading in the right direction!
......I will go for this......maybe we shoot lights out, everyone hits above their season %......play some lock down defense both on the ball, passing lanes, off the ball, take them deep into the shot clock......everyone do their job on defense......it’s not like we are over due or anything.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

January 2017 --- According to Jeff Goodman of ESPN, Coach K invited players over to his house for a team meeting earlier this week as he continues to mend from that back surgery. While there, he informed players that they’ve been kicked out of the locker room, and also forbidden to wear Blue Devils apparel. It’s apparently a motivational tactic that he’s used before in his coaching career. The ESPN article points out that the sanctions will be in place “until they start living up to the standards of the Duke program.”The message being sent is clearly to earn everything, and a number of college football programs have adopted the same mantra over the past few years, as you can see on the walls of Kansas’ new facility, and the same message can be found on at Michigan State’s facility as well.
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years ago
January 2017 --- According to Jeff Goodman of ESPN, Coach K invited players over to his house for a team meeting earlier this week as he continues to mend from that back surgery. While there, he informed players that they’ve been kicked out of the locker room, and also forbidden to wear Blue Devils apparel. It’s apparently a motivational tactic that he’s used before in his coaching career. The ESPN article points out that the sanctions will be in place “until they start living up to the standards of the Duke program.”The message being sent is clearly to earn everything, and a number of college football programs have adopted the same mantra over the past few years, as you can see on the walls of Kansas’ new facility, and the same message can be found on at Michigan State’s facility as well.
This type of stuff makes sense if your players respect you - then I can see how it actually sends a message. Problem is I look at a situation like the Harvard game where Fatts ignored Cox's play call and wonder how much some of our players actually respect Cox.

If Hurley did this during 16-17 season when it looked like we might miss the tournament even with a very talented team, I think I could understand it. Cox pulling this stunt in his first year with the way the team as looked over the past few weeks just seems like it could completely backfire.
Last edited by josephski 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

josephski wrote: 5 years ago
This type of stuff makes sense if your players respect you - then I can see how it actually sends a message. Problem is I look at a situation like the Harvard game where Fatts ignored Cox's play call and wonder how much some of our players actually respect Cox.

If Hurley did this during 17-18 season when it looked like we might miss the tournament even with a very talented team, I think I could understand it. Cox pulling this stunt in his first year with the way the team as looked over the past few weeks just seems like it could completely backfire.
Do you mean ‘16-17 season? Last year we weren’t in danger of missing the tourney
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

wpbrown8267 wrote: 5 years ago
josephski wrote: 5 years ago

If Hurley did this during 17-18 season when it looked like we might miss the tournament even with a very talented team, I think I could understand it. Cox pulling this stunt in his first year with the way the team as looked over the past few weeks just seems like it could completely backfire.
Do you mean ‘16-17 season? Last year we weren’t in danger of missing the tourney
Oops, yea that's the season I was referring to.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 5 years ago First thing I would take away is Fatts IG. He does more stories than my 14 year old niece and she's on her phone 24/7
LOL. I do about 3 stories a day on my account, I cannot knock anyone for theirs ever. Only IG behavior that PEEVES me is when people add an ENTIRE CONCERT to their story. OMG!
My one problem is that I'm yet to see a story of his from the inside of the gym.

I feel like a certain other coach would be having this discussion with him, but it doesn't seem like this coach has the buy-in from his players, or a team focus to get these guys to go the extra mile.

I never saw any of Hurley's teams this active on social media during the season.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I with you on this Blue Man but I think it’s a slippery privacy slope?

Wonder what NCAA rules are about stifling Social Media?
I don’t like a lot of things going on with this group that in my opinion sacrifice focus and commitment but I’m a old school discipline guy.

Practices are closed so we have no intel on what goes on where it really counts.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

hrstrat57 wrote: 5 years ago I with you on this Blue Man but I think it’s a slippery privacy slope?

Wonder what NCAA rules are about stifling Social Media?
I don’t like a lot of things going on with this group that in my opinion sacrifice focus and commitment but I’m a old school discipline guy.

Practices are closed so we have no intel on what goes on where it really counts.
Oh I'm for sure not saying "ban social media" like an old man yelling at the clouds.

I'm saying that previous teams worked a lot more in the off hours than it seems like this one is.

Perception is huge here - and if Fatts was shooting 30% and we were 16-9 I don't think anyone would really care right now.

Reality is we're 12-13, losers of 4 straight, looking like we don't care both on and off the court - while Fatts is shooting 17%.

I know if I was the worst in the country at anything as public as this, I wouldn't tweet, IG, or even talk to anyone until I had all of my shit in order. But that's just me.

I know that Hurley would've been all over Fatts for something like IG posts if he were still here.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

i agree - these are the signs that i am seeing too from coach cox that are disturbing to me and frankly pisses me off
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Blue Man wrote: 5 years ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 5 years ago
My one problem is that I'm yet to see a story of his from the inside of the gym.

I feel like a certain other coach would be having this discussion with him, but it doesn't seem like this coach has the buy-in from his players, or a team focus to get these guys to go the extra mile.

I never saw any of Hurley's teams this active on social media during the season.
I've made it fairly clear that I'm on Team Cox here and defend him because I feel like people unfairly lump 100% of the blame onto him while not holding the players accountable to an extent as well.

This, right here, is a very fair criticism of Cox. I honestly just don't think Cox has figured out how to deal with 18/19 year olds from the #1 chair on the bench. Much like in baseball, the manager would be the drill sergeant and the bench coach would come in and be the players' buddy and listen to their complaining about the manager. That's how I feel the relationship with the players was like under Hurley. Hurley would be a hard ass and lay into them, and then Cox could be there to play "good cop." Cox hasn't learned to adjust and change the dynamic.

I know you've been reasonable with your criticism by saying he should get next year to prove whether or not he has it in him to make the necessary changes. I'm with you on that one.

When I mention holding the players accountable too, what I mean in this case is: why does Fatts need to be pressured into hitting the gym? How does he not have the pride in himself? How is he not embarrassed at how bad he looks in games to want to go shoot a million shots each day to work through his mechanics? I'm as mad at Cox as I am at Fatts for this. When I have one bad day at the office, it haunts me for weeks. He seems to just be so apathetic towards it all.

I feel like I went on one of your long-winded rants. Now I see why you post them - this felt good, felt cathartic to type this out.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Heading out to meet others for dinner on the way to Kingston. Really not all that excited about going to this game. My last two visits to the Ryan Center were the blowout losses to GMU and Dayton. They sapped all enthusiasm from me for this season. Thankfully I just have tickets to the UMass game left after tonight. Hoping for the best versus Davidson but unfortunately expecting the worst.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I have a good feeling about this game. @ me all you want. Alsongetting a bite now and heading over.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

LETS GO RHODY

GOTTA FEEL WE WIN TONIGHT !
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Big game coming from Fatts tonight! I've predicted this like 4 times already I think, so I have to be right eventually...right?
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I was going to drive from Providence with my better half but we're both under the weather so I'll have to watch it on TV. Let's win one for a change, fellas!
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Maybe just shoot without looking all game instead

Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Watched a good portion of warm ups. It is striking the amount of interaction between the Davidson players compared to rhody.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

What's the crowd looking like tonight?
Mobley was fouled.