2/6 | Davidson | 7:00PM (ESPNU)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: 2/6 | Davidson | 7:00PM (ESPN2)

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Davidson really starts 4 Guards. Their starting line up is 6’4”, 6’5”, 6’5”, 6’6” & 6’10”.
I don’t see Harris getting much time tonight unless Davidson plays Kovacevic (6’10”) more off the bench. He played 17 minutes vs SLU.
Fatts is going to have trouble guarding Gudmundsson at 6’4”.
Davidson’s 6th man is a 6’3” G (Collins).
“We will be good when we are good.”
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Oh boy...that means we will see a lot of Thompson tonight...if he doesn't give it 100% we have a problem.

Good point about Harris playing time versus smaller lineups....Saturday against Dayton JH should get more time, since Dayton likes to play Toppin and Cunningham together.

Their strength is their inside game with those 2...Harris will need to stay out of foul trouble....good luck

Hopefully tonight Fatts can pester JAG into mistakes when he's in there.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Or Harris and Cyril play a lot together and we give them matchup problems.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago
TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago

I don’t get why our coaches are so concerned about his foul situation, since they barely play him in the second half. Have to wonder what they think they’re saving him for - he picks up his second and they pull him, he starts the second half and plays for a few minutes (whether or not he picks up any more fouls) then sits for the duration.

I think the time has come for him to just play, and if he fouls out then so be it. His development is vital for us going forward, so he needs the minutes and opportunities. The alternatives of playing Preston or going small really don’t do it for me; there is no future for us with that.
True. Against St. Louis, he only had 2 fouls yet played only 14 minutes. Unless he's hurt and on a minutes restriction, I don't get it.
I really don't think Harris' playing time has much to do with fouls at all. Sure they take him out when he gets 2 obviously, but from there it seems to be just coaches decision. Basically its coming down to Thompson getting most of Harris' minutes now that Tyrese is playing so much.
I agree. His playing time overall does not seem to be dictated by foul trouble...so why are we pulling him when he picks up his second? As far as it being a coaches’ decision, again I agree with you but I disagree with the decision. Whatever criteria they are using to make that decision, nobody coming off the bench to play those minutes that he is on the bench is giving you enough to justify his not getting back into the game. Stipulated that Harris is raw and needs work, but he isn’t getting the work sitting on the bench. Let him play his way into the player they expect him to be. He is still giving you enough to justify his being out there to develop, even though it isn’t blowing anyone away at this point.

Obviously Harris isn’t going to (and shouldn’t be) playing 40 minutes, and you still need to find minutes for Dana for many of the same reasons, but every minute that Harris and Dana are on the bench and Thompson or Preston are in the game (hasn’t been as much Preston lately, admittedly) is a minute of wasted development. To play those guys over the freshmen is borrowing against your future, and to me it looks like you’re getting about $0.25 now for every $1 it is going to cost you later. I’m not honestly sure THIS YEAR’s team is getting any benefit from the current minutes distribution, but I am totally convinced it is going to hurt you in the future.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago Or Harris and Cyril play a lot together and we give them matchup problems.
Agreed. I dont understand why so many try to match small line ups with your small line up that sucks instead of imposing height on them. Team's do it to us and it works. UVA in Brooklyn last year? They posted a guy that avg like 3 points a game and beat us with him leading the way.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 5 years ago

True. Against St. Louis, he only had 2 fouls yet played only 14 minutes. Unless he's hurt and on a minutes restriction, I don't get it.
I really don't think Harris' playing time has much to do with fouls at all. Sure they take him out when he gets 2 obviously, but from there it seems to be just coaches decision. Basically its coming down to Thompson getting most of Harris' minutes now that Tyrese is playing so much.
I agree. His playing time overall does not seem to be dictated by foul trouble...so why are we pulling him when he picks up his second? As far as it being a coaches’ decision, again I agree with you but I disagree with the decision. Whatever criteria they are using to make that decision, nobody coming off the bench to play those minutes that he is on the bench is giving you enough to justify his not getting back into the game. Stipulated that Harris is raw and needs work, but he isn’t getting the work sitting on the bench. Let him play his way into the player they expect him to be. He is still giving you enough to justify his being out there to develop, even though it isn’t blowing anyone away at this point.

Obviously Harris isn’t going to (and shouldn’t be) playing 40 minutes, and you still need to find minutes for Dana for many of the same reasons, but every minute that Harris and Dana are on the bench and Thompson or Preston are in the game (hasn’t been as much Preston lately, admittedly) is a minute of wasted development. To play those guys over the freshmen is borrowing against your future, and to me it looks like you’re getting about $0.25 now for every $1 it is going to cost you later. I’m not honestly sure THIS YEAR’s team is getting any benefit from the current minutes distribution, but I am totally convinced it is going to hurt you in the future.
Yep, agree completely. I can't figure it out either. I guess it's just a trust thing at this point with Thompson over Harris, or like was said earlier a matchup issue. But whatever it is, I don't get it.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

how about some pick and rolls setup by Cyril for JH ?

or just straight up picks for JH

would love to see a pick and have JH face up and receive a pass 15 feet out and shoot quickly
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago This is the half time show tonight at Davidson. He will also be at the A10 Championship Game on March 17

Halftime Act: Tyler's Amazing Balancing Act, as seen on America's Got Talent and Live with Regis and Kelly!

http://www.amazingtyler.com/
Reeg has been off that show for quite some time so can only imagine how stale this balancing act must be.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago Yep, agree completely. I can't figure it out either. I guess it's just a trust thing at this point with Thompson over Harris, or like was said earlier a matchup issue. But whatever it is, I don't get it.
I think that has to be it, which I would almost understand if this team were just a touch more in hunt for something. This season is not a total wash and I’m not suggesting we just punt it, but it just seems to me that ultimately we will judge this season by how much the key contributors next year developed - and it just doesn’t seem to me that we are getting all that much more now from our trust in Thompson (at the risk of repeating myself).
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I guess Cox and staff see things that we don't....at some point someone will pop the question of JH's and Tate's lack of 2nd half playing time to him.

Wonder what DiSano thinks? He's as tuned in as anybody to the inner workings of the decision making processes.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

ElmCityRhody wrote: 5 years ago how about some pick and rolls setup by Cyril for JH ?

or just straight up picks for JH

would love to see a pick and have JH face up and receive a pass 15 feet out and shoot quickly
Probably would work! Ive thought this for Dowtin too. Dowtin probably could resemble an A10 RIP Hamilton if given the opportunity.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

adam914 wrote: 5 years ago Yep, agree completely. I can't figure it out either. I guess it's just a trust thing at this point with Thompson over Harris, or like was said earlier a matchup issue. But whatever it is, I don't get it.
I think that has to be it, which I would almost understand if this team were just a touch more in hunt for something. This season is not a total wash and I’m not suggesting we just punt it, but it just seems to me that ultimately we will judge this season by how much the key contributors next year developed - and it just doesn’t seem to me that we are getting all that much more now from our trust in Thompson (at the risk of repeating myself).
I feel like they have more of a shot then given credit for. They have beaten the teams going into the season who were considered to be the most talented. Dropped a game they were winning by 20 and were close on the road with SLU. The Umass loss was egregious. If they learn and sweep this week or split. Sweep puts them up there. Split keeps them in striking distance.

All this, but I also think Harris at the 4 is a much better lineup regardless of fouls. URI has generally appeared to be a + team with the starting lineup out there. The one with Harris and Martin.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

FDshoes wrote: 5 years ago
Da_Process_Survivor wrote: 5 years ago it's a winable game.

Cyril and Jermaine should dominate their bigs.

We need Jeff and Fatts to hang with Grady and Gudmundsson.

is it easy, or probably likely? not really. But it wouldnt be a shock either if they come home with a win
Big if, harris has shown next to zero ability to stay on the court for extended periods w/o picking up to many dumb fouls.
I don’t get why our coaches are so concerned about his foul situation, since they barely play him in the second half. Have to wonder what they think they’re saving him for - he picks up his second and they pull him, he starts the second half and plays for a few minutes (whether or not he picks up any more fouls) then sits for the duration.

I think the time has come for him to just play, and if he fouls out then so be it. His development is vital for us going forward, so he needs the minutes and opportunities. The alternatives of playing Preston or going small really don’t do it for me; there is no future for us with that.
i don't think his lack of minutes is completely tied to fouls. Other factors: He has a lot to learn; Cox often goes small toward end of games.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Because of URI's inexperience they have trouble guarding the three point line for the entire shot clock. Martin has been great on offense, but too often covers the ball instead of his man. This scares me tonight at Davidson won't miss many open corner 3s.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

I suspect we will see Cox employ the zone a bit at times tonight to neutralize outside shooting. Should allow some solid minutes for Silviero and Tate if they are on time with rotations.

I think JH could be a mismatch in our favor on offense tonight. Look for him in the mid range - as an above average passer he should be in the triple threat looking to pass/shoot/drive in that order.

Some big to big action to Cyril coming out of the high post would be magic. Would open lanes for Jeff/Ty/Fatts to make cuts as well.

Jeff was much more like his old self on ball against Duquesne, I think building on that tonight will be a big step in the right direction for this team.

The key to win tonight is fundamentals. If we keep turnovers under 10, box out and rebound well, and shoot free throws as a team 75% or better we will win by 5.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I've been banging this drum all season long and even wanted Martin in my starting line-up from last May, so when Martin finally got in the starting line up I was relieved, but never thought Thompson would keep the same minutes per game

Looking at Harris:
Has started every game
Last 6 Games since Martin replaced Thompson in the Starting Line Up:
Minutes/Fouls/Opponent/Rebounds
19 min/ 3F/ 3 reb/ St Bonaventure - W
12 min/ 3F/ 1 reb/ LaSalle - W
22 min/ 2F/ 7 reb/ VCU - W
14 min/ 4F/ 3 reb/ UMASS - L
15 min/ 4F/ 1 reb/ Duquesne - L
14 min/ 2F/ 1 reb/ St Louis - W

Thompson

25 min/ 4F/ 3 reb/ St Bonaventure - W
22 min/ 4F/ 3 reb/ LaSalle - W
24 min/ 3F/ 3 reb/ VCU - W
30 min/ 4F/ 4 reb/ UMASS - L
30 min/ 2F/ 2 reb/ Duquesne - L
23 min/ 0F/ 2 reb/ St Louis - W

Martin
32 min/ 4F/ 5 reb/ St Bonaventure - W
32 min/ 1F/ 9 reb/ LaSalle - W
30 min/ 2F/ 7 reb/ VCU - W
31 min/ 3F/ 3 reb/ UMASS - L
31 min/ 2F/ 5 reb/ Duquesne - L
37 min/ 2F/ 10 reb/ St Louis - W

Bottom Line Thompson's minutes have not changed.
Harris needs to avoid Fouls quite simply
Vs UMASS and Duquesne he picked up 4 fouls

I don't understand why he is sometimes out past the 3 point line picking up guards who are bringing the ball down. I don't understand why the Coaching Staff would be telling him to get down in the paint - makes no sense and it's a terribly dumb risk for him to take
He picks up offensive fouls backing in to the hoop - Coaches must work with him on this
Last game he picked up 2 fouls but Cox put him back in during the 1st half - something Hurley would never, ever do

Harris is a very talented player, I would hate to see him transfer to another school. Wish Antonio Reynolds Dean was here to work with him.

Seems Cox is moving more and more towards 4 players getting the majority of the minutes.
Last game vs St Louis
Dowtin 39 min
Martin 37 min
Langevine 36 min
Russell 33 min
Harris 14 min

Thompson 23 min
Tate 13 min
Silverio 5 min
kmillr16
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by kmillr16 »

On COX the game has been moved to ESPNU Ch 1134.
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

ramster wrote: 5 years ago
Seems Cox is moving more and more towards 4 players getting the majority of the minutes.
Last game vs St Louis
Dowtin 39 min
Martin 37 min
Langevine 36 min
Russell 33 min
Harris 14 min

Thompson 23 min
Tate 13 min
Silverio 5 min
In my opinion Thompson should be getting 20 mins, Fatts should be getting 25. Langevine should be getting 30.

Make that change and it gets Tate up to 20ish, Harris up to 20ish and Silviero up to about 10.

Could make a major impact on how fresh we are going into the final 5 mins of games... Could also open up the offense. With 8 guys capable of scoring getting double digit minutes it makes you hard to guard.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

kmillr16 wrote: 5 years ago On COX the game has been moved to ESPNU Ch 1134.
Are you F****** kidding me.
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

analysis of Fatts FG and 3FG shooting percentages by a Davidson poster........

https://davidsoncats.com/viewtopic.php? ... 8&start=30
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago analysis of Fatts FG and 3FG shooting percentages by a Davidson poster........

H
The poster isnt wrong, That being said he has gotten better as of late strictly because he isn't launching as many 3s. Personally would be happier if that number got to 3 or less attempts a game.
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

ramster wrote: 5 years ago analysis of Fatts FG and 3FG shooting percentages by a Davidson poster........

I give that person a lot of credit for taking the time to do all that research. Wherever he works, are they hiring? Clearly has a lot of time on his hands.

All he needed to do was read our blogs to understand how bad Fatts 3s are.

Now let's hope Fatts completely burns them tonight.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I think we've been fine the past few games with Fatts taking just a few 3s. He's not chucking up 15 3s anytime soon.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago

I'm sure it is not just a Cox thing. This game is absolute on ESPNU
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

That was depressing to read...
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

For the season among players in the A10 we have 3 of the bottom 4:
#42T Jeff Dowtin 28%
#42T Christion Thompson 28%
#44 Evans VCU 25.6%
#45 Fatts Russell 18.9%

Best thing for us is to decrease 3FG attempts as we have done lately and let Martin and Tate take them when we do. Plus practice a lot, and do not take 3FGs off balance or with defensive pressure.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RhodyRam86 wrote: 5 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago

I'm sure it is not just a Cox thing. This game is absolute on ESPNU
Yep, they took it off the deuce and moved it to U.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I agree on reducing the 3FG attempts. I thought Rhody took too many vs SLU (18).
Davidson averages 28 3FG attempts & hitting 34.5%
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Re: 2/6 | Davidson | 7:00PM (ESPNU)

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Does the lighting look horrible on the court?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Is it just my imagination...or, do our bigs get more of their shots blocked than any other combo of bigs...anywhere?
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

Is it just me or does it look like Davidson didnt pay the electric bill? Looks dark in the gym.
Urifan91
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Urifan91 »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Does the lighting look horrible on the court?
I thought the same thing. Someone turn on the lights.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

....Harris out, why?
Last edited by section(105) 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Well the good news is, we scored a point!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Another horrible start on offense. 0-9.
Some of the poor starts have to fall on the coach.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ugly start down 6-1 under 16
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

section(105) wrote: 5 years ago ....Harris out, why’s?
Because he was playing like crap. That three he took was ridiculous and the guy he was covering scored 4 of the 6 points.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Volleyball?

Really? What?
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

I'd be interested in seeing the difference in Martin's shooting % when he is moving, catches and shoots compared to when he is standing still and the ball finds him. He does not shoot well on the move, but is deadly when stationary.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
section(105) wrote: 5 years ago ....Harris out, why’s?
Because he was playing like crap. That three he took was ridiculous and the guy he was covering scored 4 of the 6 points.
.....oh, got it, just radio here....thx
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

pretty apparent the announcers not familiar with the team
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

So so incredibly bad
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Bob Mackillop coming in with an intelligent and unexpected game plan early, attacking inside. Defense playing a classic 2-3 defense, we really need to find the high post and work inside out to get some open jumpers.
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Ugly start to this game but I do like watching McKillop coach. He is one of my favorites.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

URI’s offensive sets don’t create open shots. That is a big problem. Shooting 2-14 and 0 from three of course.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Tate scores and then makes a nice defensive stop so they immediately take him out for Preston...
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Unbelievable. Langevine gets hacked no call. Davidson gets a call with no contact
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

We need someone who can shoot the ball in this game...

Anybody
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Another horrible start on offense. 0-9.
Some of the poor starts have to fall on the coach.
Whole team was playing crappy including Harris.

So here comes Thompson for Harris after just 3.5 minutes:
Pritchett at 6,6” 225 lbs backs Thompson down low and easily scores
Then Thompson misses a 3
Then Pritchett hits a 3 over Thompson.
So score is 1-6 when Thompson comes in then 1-11 after a couple of minutes.
Cox gets mad and frustrated with Harris but never with Thompson
Last edited by ramster 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.