'19 MD F Marial Mading (Pacific Commit)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: '19 MD F Marial Mading (Offer)

Unread post by ace »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago
ace wrote: 5 years ago
RamStock wrote: 5 years ago

I hear you in terms of letting everything play out and the coaching staff has worked very hard and smart to get the right recruits. I love Bishop, Walker and McLeod and think Ling will be alright as number 3 or 4 recruit. I love the 2018 class coming in this year. I watched this kid play a couple times and he would get killed at the power forward spot and despite his length would not be able to cover small forwards at a high level. He had several games where he contributed very little offensively. The ratings can be misleading, but he is ranked in the 330’s for a reason. Some programs have kicked the tires because of his height and length. Just my opinion and the coaches have watched him enough to know, but I am hoping he signs somewhere else unless we can get a combination of two of the three priority recruits and at that point don’t care who else we get.
Right, there’s the rankings and also, like you said, a bunch of equally qualified staffs assessed him, and he ended up with officials to Tulane and ODU, aside from URI. Taking a chance on a guy is easier to take if you hit on all your primary targets. Official visits are easy to cancel if they’re no longer needed, too.
He had an Unofficial with your BFF (jk) at UCONN last week. He’s not a 4 year starter, he’s a role player. We need to recruit those complimentary pieces as well. I love the thought of having a 6’10 guy that can play like a guard. That length is invaluable.
I know he had an unofficial at UConn. I posted it up there somewhere (but not in the UConn thread, that’s for Skinner talk). Why are we even here if every conversation is going to be shut down with TRUST THE STAFF?! It’s ok, though, I just read that Long is going to be as good as Fatts.
Last edited by ace 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Right, there’s the rankings and also, like you said, a bunch of equally qualified staffs assessed him, and he ended up with officials to Tulane and ODU, aside from URI. Taking a chance on a guy is easier to take if you hit on all your primary targets. Official visits are easy to cancel if they’re no longer needed, too.
He had an Unofficial with your BFF (jk) at UCONN last week. He’s not a 4 year starter, he’s a role player. We need to recruit those complimentary pieces as well. I love the thought of having a 6’10 guy that can play like a guard. That length is invaluable.
I know he had an unofficial at UConn. I posted it up there somewhere (but not in the UConn thread, that’s for Skinner talk). Why are we even here if every conversation is going to be shut down with TRUST THE STAFF?! It’s ok, though, I just read that Long is going to be as good as Fatts. ;)
There are a ton of other things to talk about. Like UCONN players playing catch around the pool. Right?

I joke, I kid....
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Mading in today for unofficial visit
“We will be good when we are good.”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I like this kids potential
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Hey Ramster. It's good to see you.
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

I feel like this kid could be something as well. May take longer than the others to develop but I envision a 6'10" Delroy
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Didn’t even know BC offered...
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Didn’t even know BC offered...
They didn’t. Teams start going to other options when they miss out on their main targets like we did with Bishop and now are after Hammond. Hopefully we get Hammond.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Wow....an official visit....those are valuable...you only get so many to give....so there must be serious interest on our part and not just kicking the tires...he is an intriguing player....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I believe the colleges get 16 official visits per academic year. Jr can now go on official visits. So a college could have a top recruit in for an OV his Jr and Sr year. The recruit of course gets 5 OV per academic year. We may start to see more Jr OVs in the future. The rule on Jr changed last month.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I just realized that Mading goes to school in Springfield MA. He goes to Springfield Commonwealth Academy. Tony Bergeron (who now runs the basketball program at Woodstock Academy) started the basketball program at SC Academy. He was only there for a few years before moving onto Woodstock to start their basketball program.

It now makes more sense that Mading came to Kingston for an unofficial visit this week.
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

Assuming they would take Hammond if he wants to come (since we are pursuing him) are we going to take just 1 big? Walker - If he don't commit this weekend then on to McLoud? And is this visit from Mading next weekend to push McLoud (if Walker doesn't commit this weekend) to commit? Or has Coach asked McLoud to wait until he hears from Walker this weekend????....Whatever would be awfully nice if Walker ends it all with a commit here Saturday/Sunday.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

wgracie99 wrote: 5 years ago Assuming they would take Hammond if he wants to come (since we are pursuing him) are we going to take just 1 big? Walker - If he don't commit this weekend then on to McLoud? And is this visit from Mading next weekend to push McLoud (if Walker doesn't commit this weekend) to commit? Or has Coach asked McLoud to wait until he hears from Walker this weekend????....Whatever would be awfully nice if Walker ends it all with a commit here Saturday/Sunday.
Mading has no effect on McLeod. McLeod is a center and Mading is paper thin and would be more of a 3. They will take the best players regardless of position. The best scenario is Walker and McLeod and focus on guards for 2020.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

The best scenario is to get who they are targeting.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago The best scenario is to get who they are targeting.
Which is Walker and McLeod
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

And Mading, and Hammond.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

And Mading, and Hammond.
Mading to me seems like a project to me who is very thin and has no strength. With that kind of height why are there not any big schools looking at him? I know UConn kicked the tires and BC now reached out to him. I really like Hammond, but people did make good points about the questionable talent of basketball in Louisiana and the competition. I think Hammond would be a nice plan B to Bishop.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

And Mading, and Hammond.
Mading to me seems like a project to me who is very thin and has no strength. With that kind of height why are there not any big schools looking at him? I know UConn kicked the tires and BC now reached out to him. I really like Hammond, but people did make good points about the questionable talent of basketball in Louisiana and the competition. I think Hammond would be a nice plan B to Bishop.
I really am not trying to be offensive when I say this, but your evaluation is baseless. Do you think the staff is traveling 4 deep to visit a project?! They clearly believe in the kid, and until proven otherwise, I do too. They want him. While he may not be a year one starter, he’s a 6’10 STRETCH WING....I love that characteristic alone.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

And Mading, and Hammond.
I really am not trying to be offensive when I say this, but your evaluation is baseless. Do you think the staff is traveling 4 deep to visit a project?! They clearly believe in the kid, and until proven otherwise, I do too. They want him. While he may not be a year one starter, he’s a 6’10 STRETCH WING....I love that characteristic

I love the staff, but for you to sit here and say you know what Mading will be is very short sighted. How did Tertsea, Akele, Preston and Layssard turn out? We aren’t going to hit on everyone-no one does, but you can have your opinion and I will have mine. I think the coaching staff works hard and does a great job, but they need to fill the spots if they don’t hit on their priority targets. I have watched Mading play a couple times. I have never seen Hammond play, but like him with no solid information to back it on similiar to you with Mading.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Cox didn’t recruit ANY of those kids. His track record on recruits is pretty solid. I’m not sure on yours but my money is with the guys who are paid to do it.

I’ve seen Mading as well, and I believe he is good enough to serve you a bowl of crow when it’s all said and done.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Cox didn’t recruit ANY of those kids. His track record on recruits is pretty solid. I’m not sure on yours but my money is with the guys who are paid to do it.

I’ve seen Mading as well, and I believe he is good enough to serve you a bowl of crow when it’s all said and done.
I hope you are right on Mading. Who recruited all those kids? Are you going to say it was all Hurley? Crack open a beer and relax. What kind of board would it be if everyone just salivated on every recruit they went after or agreed on every move they made. I think Cox is a fantastic recruiter and even better person who I have met a couple times. We all have different opinions. Most of the opinions we put together are a lot of guessing. How many people believed Andre Berry would have the year he did last year.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Cox didn’t recruit ANY of those kids. His track record on recruits is pretty solid. I’m not sure on yours but my money is with the guys who are paid to do it.

I hope you are right on Mading. Who recruited all those kids? Are you going to say it was all Hurley? Crack open a beer and relax. What kind of board would it be if everyone just salivated on every recruit they went after or agreed on every move they made. I think Cox is a fantastic recruiter and even better person who I have met a couple times. We all have different opinions. Most of the opinions we put together are a lot of guessing. How many people believed Andre Berry would have the year he did last year.
Carr was the lead on Tertsea.
ARD was the lead in Layssard.
Preston was a mix. Just the staff going after a need.
Akele was a mix. Same as the above.

I agree, let’s just see where things go.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

By memory is Cox was the lead on Tertsea and Boswell was lead on Preston.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago By memory is Cox was the lead on Tertsea and Boswell was lead on Preston.
I believe it was Carr.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago By memory is Cox was the lead on Tertsea and Boswell was lead on Preston.
I believe it was Carr.
“It has a good basketball program, great teammates to be around, great coaching staff, great campus,” Tertsea said. “I feel like being a part of the Rhode Island family will really help me to be successful later on in life.”

Tertsea held some 20 offers in all and selected URI over a handful of conference foes, including finalists La Salle, George Washington and George Mason. The Explorers and Colonials each sent multiple members of their respective coaching staffs to watch Tertsea work out on Thursday at The John Carroll School in Bel Air, Md., a session also attended by Rams’ assistant David Cox.

“He was just overwhelmed on the official visit,” John Carroll coach Tony Martin said. “He felt extremely connected to Danny and Coach Cox had done a phenomenal job as well.”
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Still believe he was Carr’s recruit.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Tertsea was in Maryland, which was the area for Cox, not Carr and you have what Iggy posted.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago Tertsea was in Maryland, which was the area for Cox, not Carr and you have what Iggy posted.

Carr was East Coast. Agree to disagree.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Carr was East Coast, yes, mainly NY/NJ. We all know Cox is a DMV guy.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Once you’re the head coach, you’re responsible for both ALL of the recruits and NONE of them, all at the same time.

—————

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/ ... 0404ld5s09

During his time at URI, Cox has been instrumental in the recruitment of Indiana transfer Stanford Robinson, guards Jeff Dowtin and Fatts Russell as well as center Michael Tertsea.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago How many people believed Andre Berry would have the year he did last year.
I did and I called it. Check the archives. There were other that saw his talents being squandered as well but weren't willing to say he should be playing because of all the rhetoric about his weight and it being a defensive liability.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Running Ram wrote: 5 years ago
RamStock wrote: 5 years ago How many people believed Andre Berry would have the year he did last year.
I did and I called it. Check the archives. There were other that saw his talents being squandered as well but weren't willing to say he should be playing because of all the rhetoric about his weight and it being a defensive liability.
Good call on Berry! Nice kid that everyone liked that made good contributions in his last year.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago Tertsea was in Maryland, which was the area for Cox, not Carr and you have what Iggy posted.

Respect your opinions but it's a bad look when confronted with facts and you stick to your story.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 years ago

Respect your opinions but it's a bad look when confronted with facts and you stick to your story.
Who cares?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DC it is ok to say I didn’t know that or I was wrong. But agree to disagree seems stubborn after reading the quotes from the player.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago DC it is ok to say I didn’t know that or I was wrong. But agree to disagree seems stubborn after reading the quotes from the player.
Lol again, who cares? I’ve heard different. End of story.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

It all makes sense, DC Rams is Trump.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

STC wrote: 5 years ago

I have always wondered if DCRAMS was actually DC ----> VCU Rams :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

STC wrote: 5 years ago

“You’re completely incompetent and wholly unqualified to do your job.”

“I’ve heard different. End of story.”
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Lol you guys are still on this? I’m nobody, but I’m somebody.

Moving on....
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

Tertsea was a Cox recruit (Baltimore/Maryland connects). Preston was a Boswell recruit (New York Rens/AAU connects).

Akele was a bit of a mash. Murray somewhat fumbled the ball in the midst of taking a job at Xavier, leaving Akele to be finished off by Johnny Wholestaff.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Bill Koch wrote: 5 years ago Tertsea was a Cox recruit (Baltimore/Maryland connects). Preston was a Boswell recruit (New York Rens/AAU connects).

Akele was a bit of a mash. Murray somewhat fumbled the ball in the midst of taking a job at Xavier, leaving Akele to be finished off by Johnny Wholestaff.
Interesting, thanks for clarifying. Love when Bill comes on here!
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Think this is the visit we lock him up.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Think this is the visit we lock him up.
If they do than they won’t be getting both Walker and McLeod unless we feel that someone else is leaving after this season.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

If they do than they won’t be getting both Walker and McLeod unless we feel that someone else is leaving after this season.
Wrong.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Wrong.
Right! I know you are never wrong as we saw from the recruitment of Tertsea.