The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach is DAVID COX

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: The Official URI’s Head Coach Thread....

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

spookydog wrote:
xcrun wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:Pitino.
Yes. This.
If there were a thumbs down feature I would click it relentlessly. A bad choice all around. No F'in way.
Anyone saying Pitino seriously has to be dumb or drunk
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I hope Cox is talking with the recruits right now. Because you know Hurley will be contacting them
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

For those suggesting Pitino, here is an excerpt from a lengthy Washington Post article on the man:

"His children want him to work in the NBA, while his wife would like him to return to the college ranks. He has hired an agent and had preliminary discussions with a few schools, Pitino said, declining to specify which ones. He acknowledged his next job offer may not come from a school at the level of Kentucky or Louisville, and said that doesn’t bother him."

“It doesn’t have to be for a lot of money, it doesn’t have to be at a high level,” he said. “But I want you to believe in me, and what I teach, how I mentor, how I motivate. If you believe in me, I’ll consider it.”

For those interested in reading the entire article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/c ... 2e5dd7a17c
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

xcrun wrote:
Yes. This.
Haha really? So where in Kingston would be the whore house or brothel for recruits?? GTFO with Pitino, good grief
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I had some names in mind in case this happened, but seems like it's not worth having the discussion if Rothstein was right and Cox is coach in waiting. If it appears we have a search I'll double back
Who were the names?
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

......the search.....it should be conducted, a few coaches brought in for discussions for transparency, due diligence etc......include a Cox as an egual in that process......try to find the best fit for Rhody at this time in our program evolution ......etc.......time for promoting from within, time to hire the outsider?.......I would argue for the former, if the best means to keep as many of the current players and the signed recruits.....to compete like we have in the recent A-10 seasons, hire Dave Cox......if that is Thorr’s vision this time......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
xcrun
Michael Andersen

Unread post by xcrun »

wpbrown8267 wrote:
xcrun wrote:
Yes. This.
Haha really? So where in Kingston would be the whore house or brothel for recruits?? GTFO with Pitino, good grief
Do you guys want to win? Or just feel good about your morality?
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

DC_Rams wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Should be all that matters. Speaks volumes.
It shouldn't be all that matters, but that isn't all cox has in his favor either.

I never said they need to announce and make official a hire today. But they should know who they want to hire today and should already be in process of locking it in. Obviously all due diligence, including talking to other coaches should be done. If nothing else, it is a good way to establish relationships which you never know when you'll need.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

EGram wrote:As for the style of play. The arguments here are exactly what Iona fans said when he came up from a division two school to Iona. personally I have little doubt 99% of the true mid major teams in the nation would be happy with the team playing crappy defense if it meant they won as much as Cluess has at Iona and Post. There's also no reason to think the guy can't coach defense if he had better players, He's said many times with his level of talent he simply finds it more effective to coach around, and focus on offense.
It's not just a defensive scheme issue with Cluess, he doesn't demand effort, which isn't a talent issue. I have personally seen his players hang back in the offensive zone instead of getting back on defense. That's great that it led to easy offensive buckets, it also led to the other team playing an extra man up offensively, leading to even more easy buckets for the other team. He took intramural floor hockey strategy and applied it to division one college basketball, and it doesn't work against real teams.

I'm getting pissed off just typing this and thinking about him here, there's no way I could handle going to games if he was here
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

My biggest concern moving forward is exactly what Koch tweeted about earlier. Will the donors be willing to continue with the commitment to the program enhancements now that Hurley is gone. We still need that practice facility in 2 years, we still need charter flights, etc. etc. If that all changes now, then we are right back to where we started.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

.......hope we get another Coach’s Show......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I am strongly considering banning anyone stupid enough to mention Rick Pitino's name in this thread. It's not serious and it's not funny, either.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

adam914 wrote:My biggest concern moving forward is exactly what Koch tweeted about earlier. Will the donors be willing to continue with the commitment to the program enhancements now that Hurley is gone. We still need that practice facility in 2 years, we still need charter flights, etc. etc. If that all changes now, then we are right back to where we started.
......this donor will......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

xcrun wrote:
wpbrown8267 wrote:
xcrun wrote:
Yes. This.
I want to win doing things the right way. It can be done here, it can't be done by Pitino anywhere
Ramrod
Kenny Green

Unread post by Ramrod »

I enjoyed rooting for Hurley's teams so, so much. I thank him for that. How much love I have for him going forward will really depend on the next few days, and whether he tries to take our current roster players, recruits, and assistance coaches. I'm not sure if that's the norm, but that would feel like a gut shot. Him leaving to start fresh at a bigger time program, more money, more history, I can understand.

What's the norm, do most staffs move with the head coach or stay? I know Hurley kept PMurph as a holdover from Baron, but obviously brought his brother with him from Wagner. Let's say it's Cox as the next coach (which I support), I'll be really, really happy if we can keep some of the staff in place (Ty Boswell, Eric Y, TJ) and I'll be doing backflips if we can keep our 4 recruits.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

xcrun wrote: Do you guys want to win? Or just feel good about your morality?
Dude seriously - you had maybe 2% credibility after you came back after years of hiding away only to talk about Hurley leaving.

Seriously advocating for Pitino to take over here without immediately being sarcastic or using inappropriate puns removes any of your remaining credibility and indicates that none of your opinions can be taken seriously because you are obviously a moron.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I will be donating no matter what for this program to continue its advance.
GO RAMS
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

xcrun wrote:
wpbrown8267 wrote:
xcrun wrote:
Yes. This.
Haha what a troll

So hire Pitino, so he can coach here, then he bounces out of here after 2 years similar to providence and we are back to square one. I have no problem with Rhody evaluating others coaches besides Cox in this process, although I want Cox becasue he offers stability with the CURRENT players, incoming class, is a solid x-o's guy on offense, and can sustain and keep growing the program as long as Thorr and company show the commitment they showed Danny.

Pitino is a shady corrupt guy, that's anywhere he goes. So yeah i guess i am involving a little morality with not going with Pitino, I also want Rhody to keep their reputation as being a clean program and also still winning and being successful.

You answered this with "you guys". where are you posting from, PC? somewhere else? Are you actually a Rhody fan? You have been called out by other members here and it has been completely warranted. I have no problem with someone having a diff opinion, but all your posts and responses have been trolling and douchey
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

TruePoint wrote:I am strongly considering banning anyone stupid enough to mention Rick Pitino's name in this thread. It's not serious and it's not funny, either.
Please ban xcrun
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

To be clear when I say donors I don't mean the normal guys like you and me on here who give what they can each year. I mean the guys who can put up enough money to make this thing happen quickly, as it sounds like they were willing to do to keep Hurley. Are they still willing to do it for the next guy?
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

sf2010 wrote:
xcrun wrote: Do you guys want to win? Or just feel good about your morality?
Dude seriously - you had maybe 2% credibility after you came back after years of hiding away only to talk about Hurley leaving.

Seriously advocating for Pitino to take over here without immediately being sarcastic or using inappropriate puns removes any of your remaining credibility and indicates that none of your opinions can be taken seriously because you are obviously a moron.
The guy, girl, or hermaphrodite or whatever only has 49 posts all time.
He just wants to be a dissenter
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

TruePoint wrote:I am strongly considering banning anyone stupid enough to mention Rick Pitino's name in this thread. It's not serious and it's not funny, either.
relax dude, we're all salty coach thinks UConn is prettier than us. Some might actually like the idea if slick rick (ugh!)
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Thinking back, I thought it was neat to see Jim Calhoun visiting Hurleys practices at the Ryan Center, now I think its f'ed up. Jim you sneaky SOB.
GO RAMS
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Yeah calm down TP

We’ve sold our soul for rocknroll before....
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
OrangeRam
Abdul Fox

Unread post by OrangeRam »

Oats, Becker, Cox

Looks like all 3 are solid.

Personally I believe in promoting within first. Cox is well liked, recruits well, played ball, plenty of solid coaching related experience, and a key to me is he is educated. He has that special drive to take things to the next level, MBA. That tells me a lot about a person.

Coach Cox, I just need your New Haven pizza preference.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

OrangeRam wrote:Oats, Becker, Cox

Personally I believe in promoting within first. Cox is well liked, recruits well, played ball, plenty of solid coaching related experience, and a key to me is he is educated. He has that special drive to take things to the next level, MBA. That tells me a lot about a person.

Didn't want to distract from the Hurley talk, but Oats looks to be on Pitt's radar now.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

OrangeRam wrote:Oats, Becker, Cox

.......hopefully Dave Cox has no New Haven pizza preference.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

With the state's hiring practices and policies, I doubt that Cox could actually be ironclad promised the job. It seems to me the only real guarantee given to Cox was the buyout should he not be made the next head coach. URI will probably, as a state institution, have to consider and interview multiple potential candidates. Cox will in most likelihood be one of those candidates. If he is deemed the best candidate LONG TERM, he will be hired. If not, he will be paid a buyout (and probably follow Dan to Storrs).
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

adam914 wrote:My biggest concern moving forward is exactly what Koch tweeted about earlier. Will the donors be willing to continue with the commitment to the program enhancements now that Hurley is gone. We still need that practice facility in 2 years, we still need charter flights, etc. etc. If that all changes now, then we are right back to where we started.

The difference is the money. they bought out Baron. Hurley is giving money back in his buyout. Then the credits he secured and the record attendance. I'm sure season tickets will stay up this year. They return 3 stars people are invested in.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

brady1 wrote:I for one will be fine with Cox but there will be coaches that want this job that have final four appearances more than 2 NCAA appearances. Dan Hurley was a hot coach this year there will be many coaches that want the URI job that are much better coaches than Dan and will take less money for this job.Think outside the box. Thanks Dan good luck. Is Calhoun’s interview today or tomorrow? WINK!

GO RHODY!
Would you hire Dan Hurley now? He only has 2 NCAA appearances.

Would you hire Dan Hurley 6 years ago? He was only a college coach for 2 years.

You only need "buzz" when your program is shit. That's how you revive the fan base. That's why UConn did whatever they could to get Dan.

We have a good program with good players and a better recruiting class. Keep that in place and the show goes on.

We are most certainly going to conduct a proper search - but there's a buy out attached to Cox not becoming HC. You think the program that had to shake every tree loose and beg every donor to get commitments for a needed practice facility in 3 years is going to want to pay a buyout to hire another coach and risk losing this momentum??
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
xcrun
Michael Andersen

Unread post by xcrun »

That's not moderating. That's online bullying. Do you not think he could win? Look what we did with Harick. There is no family here. Let's sell our soul and win.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I think having TJ Buchanon on staff could be hugely helpful. He may regard sticking it out during a coaching change one of the best decisions he ever made, and he did it in much worse circumstances.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Yanni just said, Thorr presser at 2 pm
Last edited by section(105) 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

xcrun wrote:
That's not moderating. That's online bullying. Do you not think he could win? Look what we did with Harick. There is no family here. Let's sell our soul and win.
If you hadn't just shown up here last night, you'd know I was joking. I have banned like 2 people in the decade I've been here. Relax.
PillPushr
Michael Andersen

Unread post by PillPushr »

section(105) wrote:.....
Yanni just said, Thorr presser at 2 pm
We are going to need a live stream on that.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I think Cox is a great fit, well-liked and respected by fans/players alike. Who fills the recruiting shoes..
GO RAMS
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

Rhodymob05 wrote:I think Cox is a great fit, well-liked and respected by fans/players alike. Who fills the recruiting shoes..
Ty Boswell. He has long standing connections in AAU basketball including being HC/GM of Expressions Elite. He's the second half to the recruiting picture we painted the last couple years with Cox.

Truthfully, with what we have, there's an opportunity we won't miss a beat. It's Danny's ability to navigate the big picture that we lose, and it scares me.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

This info from gorhody.com has me sold on Coach Cox:

During his time at URI, Cox has been instrumental in the recruitment of Indiana transfer Stanford Robinson, and Jeff Dowtin and Michael Tertsea from the prep ranks for the 2016-17 season. He was the primary recruiter for three members of the 2018 class - Jermaine Harris, Brendan Adams and Tyrese Martin. That class was ranked as a top 25 class nationally.

“David has a wealth of experience, working with successful programs at the highest levels,” Hurley said. “He is one of the most well-rounded, well-respected assistant coaches in America. David’s proven abilities to recruit and to teach the game will be an asset to our program.”
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

TruePoint wrote:I think having TJ Buchanon on staff could be hugely helpful. He may regard sticking it out during a coaching change one of the best decisions he ever made, and he did it in much worse circumstances.
Cox takes over for Danny; Boswell takes over for Cox; Buchanon takes over for Boswell.

That's the obvious move, if you ask me.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Yea guys I think we're in good shape here.
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

the_one_mike wrote:
TruePoint wrote:I think having TJ Buchanon on staff could be hugely helpful. He may regard sticking it out during a coaching change one of the best decisions he ever made, and he did it in much worse circumstances.
Cox takes over for Danny; Boswell takes over for Cox; Buchanon takes over for Boswell.

And I could take over for snake-in-the-grass Tom Moore and it would be an upgrade. Never mind if they hire someone actually good.
CraigL79
Jim Eitner

Unread post by CraigL79 »

If Cox is your guy I would move on him sooner rather than later, otherwise he could very well wind up being UConn's next Associate Head Coach. Remember UConn can pay their Associate head coach a lot of money.

If you want to look outside that is fine, I just wouldn't prolong it too long.
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

I always thought it was weird when Tom Moore expressed interest in Bryant in the middle of a season...he's not the type of guy I want around the program.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

Anyone know how well Tyson Wheeler has been doing at Fairfield? Worth bringing him in to mentor Fatts?
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Blue Man wrote:
brady1 wrote:I for one will be fine with Cox but there will be coaches that want this job that have final four appearances more than 2 NCAA appearances. Dan Hurley was a hot coach this year there will be many coaches that want the URI job that are much better coaches than Dan and will take less money for this job.Think outside the box. Thanks Dan good luck. Is Calhoun’s interview today or tomorrow? WINK!

GO RHODY!
Would you hire Dan Hurley now? He only has 2 NCAA appearances.

Would you hire Dan Hurley 6 years ago? He was only a college coach for 2 years.

You only need "buzz" when your program is shit. That's how you revive the fan base. That's why UConn did whatever they could to get Dan.

We have a good program with good players and a better recruiting class. Keep that in place and the show goes on.

We are most certainly going to conduct a proper search - but there's a buy out attached to Cox not becoming HC. You think the program that had to shake every tree loose and beg every donor to get commitments for a needed practice facility in 3 years is going to want to pay a buyout to hire another coach and risk losing this momentum??
Dan had 4 yrs to win based on where program was next coach won’t.

Coaching hires can often be a chance to upgrade. Dan is a hot coach there are many coaches out there now that are looking for jobs that are better coaches than Dan and I love Dan.

How much is the buyout?

Again I’m ok with Cox but when Skinner left or was pushed out Harrick was on no one’s radar list. URI didn’t mess up hiring Harrick but his successor.

Let’s see if we can get a better coach than Dan.

Maybe that’s Cox maybe that’s someone else.

Can someone please tweet when Calhoun’s interview is I want to watch the boneyard explode.

GO RHODY!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Fuuuuuuuuuuck that guy. I don't want to see his decrepit cheating face here right now.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

If it's Cox,it will be interesting to see how well he can sell himself to recruits as he had the Hurley name to sell before.
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

TruePoint wrote:
the_one_mike wrote:

And I could take over for snake-in-the-grass Tom Moore and it would be an upgrade. Never mind if they hire someone actually good.
I never said it at the time, though now I'm wishing I acknowledged my paranoia, but I NEVER liked that hire from the first moment. It felt like there was more at play than him being a coach here. I didn't think it would lead to Danny at UConn but I knew something was off. He wasn't the type of guy Danny usually hires.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”