The Transfer Carousel - 2018

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2018

Unread post by reef »

Yeah sounds like DH didn't want the guy
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Sadly (because I have always hated them and the Hurley thing has only further fueled my hatred) I can see uConn getting real good real fast. With all the turmoil to come and the potential rule changes re transfers I can see an elite team of talented players at uConn perhaps as early as November. They could put us and Friartown in the rear view mirror at the top of NE D1 hoops real quick.

It is a worry.....

Don’t know a thing about this player anybody?
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

hrstrat57 wrote:Sadly (because I have always hated them and the Hurley thing has only further fueled my hatred) I can see uConn getting real good real fast. With all the turmoil to come and the potential rule changes re transfers I can see an elite team of talented players at uConn perhaps as early as November. They could put us and Friartown in the rear view mirror at the top of NE D1 hoops real quick.

It is a worry.....

Don’t know a thing about this player anybody?

3*, 6'8 235, 13th ranked C

ranked slightly better than Martin and same as Adams and Tate (89 vs 90 vs 89)
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

DH did lose out on Emmitt Matthews Jr. I do not think you can say he did not want that kid either. Going to have to hit the transfer/JUCO market quickly and focus all attention on 2019. If the transfer rule is not changed in the near future UCONN could seriously be staring at a 3 year rebuild. Question is will the fan base be that patient?
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

TruePoint wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Wow. Not good news for Dan. Dan and Moore visited him yesterday. He played at Brewster. Maybe Jared can steer him our way.

Lukas Kišūnas‏ @LKisunas
I’ve decided to de-commit from UConn and pursue other opportunities for my academic and athletic career.
Another outstanding conspiracy plan.

Kicking uConn in the teeth on a recruit would be sweetness!
I honestly don't think that they "lost" this guy. Judging from the other schools that offered him and watching a little of his tape, I don't know if this is the type of player - from a quality or style standpoint - that he is going to be interested in building around. Dan's track record in closing with recruits was pretty good, and so to lose a guy he really wanted who was already committed to his program the day after he spoke to him seems somewhat unlikely.

Trust me, I would not pass up an honest chance to mock UConn right now, but not sure I'm buying that this was the kid's decision. Will be interesting to see where he ends up.
Who knows about Emmit Matthews but James Akinjo is an absolute stud. He would be one of the best PG in the AAC...
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Cox should hire Chillious (strong national recruiting ties) and he could bring one of these players with him?
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ms1111
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by ms1111 »

Iggy i was thinking the same thing. But i have no idea if Cox even knows Chillious or if Chillious wants to stay on east coast.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Raphael Chillious would command at minimum I would think 300 k.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

sevegny7 wrote:DH did lose out on Emmitt Matthews Jr. I do not think you can say he did not want that kid either. Going to have to hit the transfer/JUCO market quickly and focus all attention on 2019. If the transfer rule is not changed in the near future UCONN could seriously be staring at a 3 year rebuild. Question is will the fan base be that patient?
Matthews is another 3* guy, although seems to be more of a fit for Dan's system style-wise. He is from the west coast (likely another Chillious guy), too, so perhaps he really did decide to pursue other options. Maybe Dan would have taken Matthews, maybe not. But either way he is probably not losing sleep over it. It will be interesting to see if he spends energy trying to re-recruit Akinjo, though. He seems to have originally committed specifically to Ollie and didn't wait for the new coach to be named before he requested his release.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

ms1111 wrote:Iggy i was thinking the same thing. But i have no idea if Cox even knows Chillious or if Chillious wants to stay on east coast.
Originally from Md. so they could know each other.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

TruePoint wrote:
sevegny7 wrote:DH did lose out on Emmitt Matthews Jr. I do not think you can say he did not want that kid either. Going to have to hit the transfer/JUCO market quickly and focus all attention on 2019. If the transfer rule is not changed in the near future UCONN could seriously be staring at a 3 year rebuild. Question is will the fan base be that patient?
Matthews is another 3* guy, although seems to be more of a fit for Dan's system style-wise. He is from the west coast (likely another Chillious guy), too, so perhaps he really did decide to pursue other options. Maybe Dan would have taken Matthews, maybe not. But either way he is probably not losing sleep over it. It will be interesting to see if he spends energy trying to re-recruit Akinjo, though. He seems to have originally committed specifically to Ollie and didn't wait for the new coach to be named before he requested his release.
so basically walked up to the hot girl at the bar, got shot down and said "thats fine, I didnt want you anyways"
---
---
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

sevegny7 wrote:Raphael Chillious would command at minimum I would think 300 k.
What was Cox salary?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:

I honestly don't think that they "lost" this guy. Judging from the other schools that offered him and watching a little of his tape, I don't know if this is the type of player - from a quality or style standpoint - that he is going to be interested in building around. Dan's track record in closing with recruits was pretty good, and so to lose a guy he really wanted who was already committed to his program the day after he spoke to him seems somewhat unlikely.

Trust me, I would not pass up an honest chance to mock UConn right now, but not sure I'm buying that this was the kid's decision. Will be interesting to see where he ends up.
Did Dan need Tom Moore to go with him to tell him that?
Good point. Or did Dan even need himself to make a personal visit? No.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

He could have just shot him a text if he wanted to make people upset and never be involved with another kid at Brewster, I suppose.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Iggy1979 wrote:
sevegny7 wrote:Raphael Chillious would command at minimum I would think 300 k.
What was Cox salary?
Not exactly sure what cox was making specifically in the last contract enhancements. I have not found that anywhere. I do know that Chillious was at 300 k at UCONN. So it would have to be as good of a salary if not better for him to consider imho.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

250-300k seems to be at the high end for assistant jobs, even at the P5. I believe I read Michigan's top assistant for Beilein makes 225K, was listed in an article talking about the bonuses the coaches and assistants get for final fours.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Yeah but the good news is as a program we can attract higher paid/ more "in demand assistants" with hurley's buyout and decrease in the salary for our head coach. (As long as the funds go into increasing our salary pool which is extremely important to nurture and help develop Cox in his first season or two.)
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

This is one area where college football's dominance is apparent. The coordinators at major programs can make more than basketball head coaches at respectable schools.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
hrstrat57 wrote:

Did Dan need Tom Moore to go with him to tell him that?
Erased
Goodbye
Last edited by ramster 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Yeah we all read his statement. That’s what started this. What do you think he’s going to say. It’s like how all the candidates for the Pitt job were allowed to remove themselves from consideration before they announced their hire. It’s the class move.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:Yeah we all read his statement. That’s what started this. What do you think he’s going to say. It’s like how all the candidates for the Pitt job were allowed to remove themselves from consideration before they announced their hire. It’s the class move.
I did not realize everyone had read the statement.
Sorry I’m stupid, nowhere near as smart as you. I have erased my post
Last edited by ramster 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Lol ramster. Very mature.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

TP IMO it really is time to disband the Hurley Defense League.

He’s gone, it’s over and he got outcoached badly in multiple games down the stretch.

We will be ok, it’s alright.

:)
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I'm not defending anyone. I'm giving my interpretation of what happened. I was never in the defend Hurley no matter what group with you, so maybe that's why I don't suddenly feel the need to try to crush the guy over everything, either. I agree with you, we will be fine. I believed that before he left. I don't have to therefore think he's incompetent. I don't think he would have recruited either of these kids, so it's not hard for me to believe he doesnt want to commit four years of roster spaces to them.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

The staff is very important. Hurley was able to attract good coaches with not a lot of money but they eventually went to more money. Need to increase the assistants pay now.
rhodyruckus
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyruckus »

TruePoint wrote:I'm not defending anyone. I'm giving my interpretation of what happened. I was never in the defend Hurley no matter what group with you, so maybe that's why I don't suddenly feel the need to try to crush the guy over everything, either. I agree with you, we will be fine. I believed that before he left. I don't have to therefore think he's incompetent. I don't think he would have recruited either of these kids, so it's not hard for me to believe he doesnt want to commit four years of roster spaces to them.
Totally agreed. Kind of like when Terry Francona left the Sox, he left "my team" to go elsewhere. Just because he went to a weaker team at the moment doesn't mean the guy couldn't raise that franchise up. And look where that team is now.

Unless Dan has a 30-0 team or something though, I'll always question whether he could have done the same or better here.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I don't place much stock in a lot of player ratings. I watched the Friars play a lot this year and cannot figure out how their MAL was a 5 star recruit and Fatts was a 3 star. How can a point guard (MAL) be a 5 star when he cannot make a jump shot (never mind a 3 pointer) and just a little over 50% on free throws. The 5 star ratings of the top 20 or so in the country are probably pretty accurate but some of the other ratings make you wonder how many times the rating agencies have seen the players play--i.e. the revered MAL of hated Friartown.

FTF......
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Anyone who is smearing DH or discrediting the job he did here either never liked him, is still bitter about how it ended or is dumb. Ramster you are a great poster so giving you benefit of doubt you fall in the 2nd camp. The reason we actually have a strong program, with a top 30 recruiting class we are trying to keep intact, 3 potential all league players returning and a job that is now desirable is bc of Dan. Case closed. Second guessing his coaching strategies or substitution patterns or whatever at this point is just petty and stupid. He’s gone. It’s time to move on, but it’s foolish to not acknowledge his contribution or try to belittle it in any way. Every real fan has some jilted lover feeling, it’s understandable.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

DH sure did build this program and put us in position for future growth and success

Now it's up to Cox to build off this and maintain and hopefully take us to the next level

I think we as fans have our expectations most feel next years team is bubble NCAAs and the year after definitely Big dance worthy and hopefully 2nd weekend

Now if we fall short of that we have to reassess the situation
Dre3000
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Dre3000 »

CJ Keyser back on the market, not sure if there'd be any interest in either side, but he's definitely from an area we've hit hard lately.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Jersey City/St. Anthony HS product. I don't follow BU hoops much anymore, which is shameful for a city resident and alum of sorts, but his stats are kind of strange: averaged 13/3 as a sophomore and then down to 9.5/2 as a junior and then down again to 7.5/3 as a senior. Would imagine he'd be in the rotation as a reserve guard, which is a need on the roster with Adams being released from his LOI.

ETA: mystery solved on the stat decline: he only played in two games as a senior. Scored 12 against Northeastern in the opener and then was injured during the next game against Albany and missed the remainder of the season. That is why he even has a year of eligibility left. He also only played 10 games as a junior.
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

TruePoint wrote:

Jersey City/St. Anthony HS product. I don't follow BU hoops much anymore, which is shameful for a city resident and alum, but his stats are kind of strange: averaged 13/3 as a sophomore and then down to 9.5/2 as a junior and then down again to 7.5/3 as a senior. Would imagine he'd be in the rotation as a reserve guard, which is a need on the roster with Adams being released from his LOI.

ETA: mystery solved on the stat decline: he only played in two games as a senior. Scored 12 against Northeastern in the opener and then was injured during the next game against Albany and missed the remainder of the season. That is why he even has a year of eligibility left.
TP, I not familiar with him either, but i looked at his stats and games played, might have been injured past 2 seasons. JR year played in 11 games starting 6 of those, then sr year only played in 2. The first game of his sr year had 12 pts
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Sorry TP, disregard my note, just saw u post the update
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Cheddi, who is Jagan’s brother, was suspended as a junior and then, as mentioned, was hurt as a senior, so he hasn’t played a lot of basketball the last two years.

Just for fun, Jagan’s recruiting thread
http://keaneyblue.com/viewtopic.php?f=8 ... an#p219015
Last edited by ace 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2018b

Pretty sure he was recruiting hard by TJ Sorrentine and almost went to Brown. Played for Bob Hurley Sr.

If healthy could help....low risk potential high return. Looks like Wake and St Bona are on him hard.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Looks like a shooter.

40% from deep as a freshman
---
---
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

How ironic would it be if we got our 1st St. Anthony's player right after Dan Leaves.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Maybe our next Four only, we will use him as we would have liked to have used Four. Hopefully.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Looks like hed be a good shooter with experienceoff the bench!
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Sounds a lot like Four.

Gives a much needed shot of experience in the arm. Very intriguing pick for a roster rounder.
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

I think he adds a little more then four did imo. He has a little more length on defense. And also is better ball handler and driving capability and mid range game. Definitely adds the spot up shooting capability forsure from 3. Which is needed to complement the passing abilities and willingness of dowtin and fatts and that inside game.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes yes and yes , this kid can fill it up !!
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Sorry, I should have been more specific about what I meant.

In my comparison to Four, I was thinking: transfer with 1 year eligibility, big game experience, clutch in traffic.

More than just a role player. Someone like this could create a lot of extra minutes for himself on such a young team.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

So he hasn’t played in two years and is coming from a lower league with lesser competition?
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:So he hasn’t played in two years and is coming from a lower league with lesser competition?
huzzah?
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Yes, please! Kid can score, don’t let the stat line or layoff deter you.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Not to mention - great name!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

suspended? I wonder if that's anything to be concerned about?
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It isn't for me. He was not dismissed and was welcomed back to the team this past season. He's a smart kid (Ivy offers and playing in Patriot league; brother at Georgetown). I don't know what the issue was, but it could be a lot of different things that wouldn't worry me too much. It could be something that would worry me, too, so obviously the coaches would have to do their diligence and make the call. If they decide he's good to go, I'd love to have him. Seems like he'd be a good use of one of the open scholarships from a basketball perspective.