The rafters, retired numbers, and banners

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: The rafters, retired numbers, and banners

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
steviep123 wrote:
Rhode_Island_Red wrote:
Uniform numbers can only include digits 0 through 5. That means there are only 37 combinations -- 36 if you say 0 and 00 are the same.

Another deserving name: Horace "Pappy" Owens '83.
I didn't realize you couldn't have a digit over 5. But that's stupid. If it's for refs, then they can just (for example) hold up a 3 in one hand, then a 5 and 3 in each hand for 38.
Yep, it's true: https://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/31/spor ... -hand.html

“In this day and age, it’s hard to believe that they’re still clinging to a rule based on fingers,” said Paul Lukas, editor of the website Uni Watch, which tracks aesthetic trends in sports. “I hate to trot out such a shopworn cliché as ‘If we can put a man on the moon,’ but it does seem to apply here.”

"We want to be able to signal the numbers once, using a maximum of two hands, ” Adams said.

So, I didn't notice, but since the NBA allows all numbers...those refs must have more than two hands? Going to have to take a closer look at that...
They use toes too.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Re: The rafters, retired numbers, and banners

Unread post by steviep123 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
steviep123 wrote:
Rhode_Island_Red wrote:
Uniform numbers can only include digits 0 through 5. That means there are only 37 combinations -- 36 if you say 0 and 00 are the same.

Another deserving name: Horace "Pappy" Owens '83.
I didn't realize you couldn't have a digit over 5. But that's stupid. If it's for refs, then they can just (for example) hold up a 3 in one hand, then a 5 and 3 in each hand for 38.
Yep, it's true: https://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/31/spor ... -hand.html

“In this day and age, it’s hard to believe that they’re still clinging to a rule based on fingers,” said Paul Lukas, editor of the website Uni Watch, which tracks aesthetic trends in sports. “I hate to trot out such a shopworn cliché as ‘If we can put a man on the moon,’ but it does seem to apply here.”

"We want to be able to signal the numbers once, using a maximum of two hands, ” Adams said.

So, I didn't notice, but since the NBA allows all numbers...those refs must have more than two hands? Going to have to take a closer look at that...
That's just plain crazy!!
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”