NCAA Coaching Carousel - 2016

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
woodennickel1
ARD

Re: NCAA Coaching Carousel - 2016

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

rodfromcranston wrote:TCU from Pitt?
TCU is where Jim Christian went from a hot
coach to 56-73, after he left Kent State.
Pitt has not done well in the ACC in basketball.
Football money has ruined many good
basketball situations for schools.

Pitt has done ok in the ACC but not the power it was in the olds Big East. Think a lot of Pitt fans don't realize the ACC is just brutally tough and Dixon is taking a lot of heat i know that and may be sick of it.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

That's why schools like PC benefit big time from being in a non FBS conference.

They can focus most of their athletic budget on basketball, without the big financial drain with football.

And why a school like Villanova can still afford much cheaper FCS football.

Plus that TV deal with Fox. A win-win for the BE.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

PC is going to take a step backwards with Dunn leaving and more than likely Bentil following him out the door. Word on the street is that Ed has come to realize he has brought PC as far as he can. He knows he will never be able to consistently recruit top players given the school's student demographics and race problems. Even when he does gets some high level recruits to attend, its no guarantee they stay as he has had some bail because they don't feel comfortable on the PC campus. He knows this will never change and he is growing tired of coming soooo close with recruits but usually always losing out at the end.
Last edited by RF1 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
woodennickel1
ARD

rambone 78 wrote:That's why schools like PC benefit big time from being in a non FBS conference.

They can focus most of their athletic budget on basketball, without the big financial drain with football.

I agree the new setup has been very beneficial for PC.
woodennickel1
ARD

RF1 wrote:PC is going to take a step backwards with Dunn leaving and more than likely Bentil following him out the door. Word on the street is that Ed had come to realize he has brought PC as far as he can. He knows he will never be able to consistently recruit top players given the school's student demographics and race problems. He knows this will never change and he is growing tired of coming soooo close with recruits but usually always losing out at the end.
Bentil will be back guaranteed and so will Ed much to your dislike. Also he may not be missing out as much on those top recruits as he now has upgraded facility's he has been asking for believe me he is going nowhere.
Last edited by woodennickel1 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I've heard Bentil is likely to come back but not a sure thing, and Cooley isn't going anywhere.

He could be a bottom half first rounder. If so, he could go.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

rambone 78 wrote:That's why schools like PC benefit big time from being in a non FBS conference.

Financial drain? Pitt is bringing in money hand over fist. Don't let the fraudulent P&L reports fool you. They count each scholarship as full expense rather than the marginal cost of having that athlete on campus. There is a reason schools are dying to get into the big conferences. School presidents, ADs, and boards of trustees generally aren't dumb. Pitt is having a hard time because the ACC is having an all time run. Sure, it's tougher (but not by that much) than some of the Big East runs in the 80s and 90s. But, they would join again in a second. UConn is basically on a street corner with a sandwich board begging the Big 12 for a spot. And their football team stinks.
woodennickel1
ARD

Gonebarongone wrote:

Financial drain? Pitt is bringing in money hand over fist. Don't let the fraudulent P&L reports fool you. They count each scholarship as full expense rather than the marginal cost of having that athlete on campus. There is a reason schools are dying to get into the big conferences. School presidents, ADs, and boards of trustees generally aren't dumb. Pitt is having a hard time because the ACC is having an all time run. Sure, it's tougher (but not by that much) than some of the Big East runs in the 80s and 90s. But, they would join again in a second. UConn is basically on a street corner with a sandwich board begging the Big 12 for a spot. And their football team stinks.
Think he was talking about the non p5 schools.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I find this to be a weird move, but can totally see it from his perspective.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

it's a mutual agreement to leave by both sides, similar to when Brian Gregory left Dayton, both benefited from the change. It also helps that Dixon went and played for TCU and the ACC->Big 12 isn't a step down at all
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Dixon will struggle to field a winner in the B12. At least he got Pitt to the Dance.

Hey he's going to his alma mater though. Whatever works for him.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

twisted3829 wrote:it's a mutual agreement to leave by both sides, similar to when Brian Gregory left Dayton, both benefited from the change. It also helps that Dixon went and played for TCU and the ACC->Big 12 isn't a step down at all
Right, I said this yesterday. It was definitely as much about him being gently nudged out at Pitt as him "leaving" for TCU. Just feel he could have had a better job if he didn't have a thing for TCU because of his history there. That was really my point - if it were me I wouldn't have gone to TCU, even know his history there.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I don't think TCU is that bad of a job. They're in the Big 12, they recently remodeled their arena, they're plugged into Dallas, and as we've seen with their football program, with the right coach they can be highly successful.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

The ACC is unbelievable so long as the hall of famers stay in form. Plus Mike Brey has become a force.

You have the 4 hall of famers in Roy, K, Boeheim, Pitino, and then there is the next tier of Bennet, Brey, Larranaga, Buzz, Mark Gottfried.

Thats 9 coaches either capable or likely to make at least a sweet sixteen run every year.

Dixon jumps ship after a close loss to a down Wisconsin? yikes.

I must say that I always thought the Pitts of the world were the legit threat to a Dan Hurley tenure. Because the blue bloods mostly hire from within their family.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Hurley to Pitt.....Cooley to Rhode Island.....you heard it here first.....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I don't want Cooley out at providence....sooner or later Hurley will win a game against him.....I just wish for providence college and their coach all the things that friar fans like woodennickel wish for us.....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
woodennickel1
ARD

Ramulous wrote:I don't want Cooley out at providence....sooner or later Hurley will win a game against him.....I just wish for providence college and their coach all the things that friar fans like woodennickel wish for us.....
Ramulous I really don't care what the rams do in fact I wish they would at least be under the 100 rpi mark so we can get a decent win out of it. I'm not like a lot of PC fans in that I really don't care if the rams win or lose as long as we beat you.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Never doubt for a minute the hypocrites that those associated with PC generally are. They are
just like the parent organization.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

woodennickel1 wrote:
Ramulous wrote:I don't want Cooley out at providence....sooner or later Hurley will win a game against him.....I just wish for providence college and their coach all the things that friar fans like woodennickel wish for us.....
Ramulous I really don't care what the rams do in fact I wish they would at least be under the 100 rpi mark so we can get a decent win out of it. I'm not like a lot of PC fans in that I really don't care if the rams win or lose as long as we beat you.
You don't care about what the Rams do, yet spend enough time on a URI message board to have 150 posts...
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

This guy got trolled, but also not sure why PC fans even bother posting here.

Agree with Bone that the Pitt job is the type of one that may attract DH, post a Tourney berth/run. Maryland, Georgetown, Uconn, St Johns, Syracuse....to me those are the jobs to be worried about. If he ever earned the right to be considered. I cant see him leaving the east coast and specifically Virginia and north.
He's not Bobby.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

That was quick! Too bad SFA isn't still in the tourney though and this would have had to happen next week- damn Irish.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... wood-coach
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

When did OSU fire Ford?
Wow! They've underachieved for most of
Ford's tenure there.
The program is awash with money and not
even close to instate rival Oklahoma.
Very decisive action by their administration
in this move.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

You can have plenty of money, and in Ford's case, be a good recruiter, but it doesn't guarantee anything when it comes to wins and losses.

Having a lot of talent isn't the answer if that talent doesn't mesh together well.

Ford was never regarded as a good bench coach at UMass, and he proved it at Okie State.

Just like with the current coach [Kellogg] at UMass. Yeah, he's supposed to have a great recruiting class coming in.

Does that mean they will win big? No.

Let's hope that Dan doesn't get that same kind of reputation here.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Great hire for Okie State
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Agreed, TP.

At my place of employment they have a saying:

"It's time to shine"

It's Dan's and URI's time to shine, starting next season.

The bar has been raised. Nothing less will do.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I'm sure that Jared Terrell is happy with his decision to spurn Oklahoma State and Travis Ford to come to URI and play for Dan Hurley.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Pikiell is set to make 1.4 million in his first year at Rutgers, with guaranteed increases after that. He's also being given an $800,000 salary pool for assistants.

Quote from the Rutgers AD:

"I have tremendous respect for Coach Hurley," Hobbs said, "respect for what he's done. We did talk early in the process. He's a tremendous coach. Obviously, baskeball royalty here in New Jersey. And he made a difficult decision early in the process to remove himself and I respect that. He did it because of his players [at Rhode Island] and you have to respect that, so you wish him all the best and I'll be cheering him on in the A-10 as a Jersey guy in the year's ahead."
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

This would be a pretty big splash (and good for the A-10):

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

That's interesting about Drew, but I would think he might be aiming higher than the A10......
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Bryce Drew would be an outstanding hire for Saint Louis. A. Miller, D. Hurley, possibly B. Drew. The conference would get one step closer to employing all younger coaching brothers.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Reading the Dayton board about Archie's possible interest in the Pitt job.

Doesn't look like it.

Some fool tweeted than Dan is "on the list" for the Pitt job.

Yeah, and so am I, but no one has contacted me yet........

Seriously, an ACC job for Dan might be in his future, but not that one, and not now.....
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:That's interesting about Drew, but I would think he might be aiming higher than the A10......
I think that is the right size step. He can aim wherever he wants but St Louis is a good program, the A10 is a good conference and now is a good time for him to take the next step. I like it better when A10 fans get upset when they are treated like a stepping stone than when they act like they are some junk on the ground that people should step over, but that's just me maybe.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

TruePoint
Frank Keaney

more good pub for us and our coach
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Not part of the coaching carousel, but the grad transfer player carousel is beginning....on that note

Jon Severe transferring from Fordham, eligible immediately with 1 year left.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

How is that, BAR?
He's in the same class as Hass and EC.
He'd have to sit out a year.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Imagine what Cooley could do recruiting at Pitt?

Sky is the limit he has to be the top choice.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Dawkins reportedly hired by UCF, about 10 days after he was fired at Stanford. Danny White does like those Duke connections.

The thinking on Severe is that he can graduate early and be a grad transfer.
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

rodfromcranston wrote:How is that, BAR?
He's in the same class as Hass and EC.
He'd have to sit out a year.
He must be earning his degree before the next school year starts. I believe that if you graduate from a school, you are immediately eligible, even if you've only been in school for 3 years.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

That is what I read too, he will complete his course work in 3 years so he will be immediately eligible to play his GT year elsewhere
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

bigappleram wrote:That is what I read too, he will complete his course work in 3 years so he will be immediately eligible to play his GT year elsewhere
If it is true he is graduating from Forham in 3 years, that is pretty impressive.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Wonder who would want him. That's 2 coaches he couldn't play for.

Maybe he just wants to be on a winner?
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Reminds me a little of Gerard Coleman. Talented but struggled to find his role within the team concept. Dude just wants to launch shots, the outcome of the game is secondary.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

It is crazy that he was able to play Div 1 basketball and graduate from a school like Fordham in 3 years. Add to that he took at least 1 multi-week leave of absence, maybe 2.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

FWIW-

Severe's been named to the all-academic conference team a couple times, so he would seem to be a good student.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

ace wrote:FWIW-

Severe's been named to the all-academic conference team a couple times, so he would seem to be a good student.
If I were St Louis AD my order would be:
1. Bryce Drew - love what he has done at Valpo
2. Joe Dooley - Name popped up when URI hired Hurley, has done a good job building on what he inherited from Enfield
3. Travis Ford - Can recruits but what an uninspired hire he would be for the Billikens.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

St Louis Coaching Candidates Thread started December 23 is now up to 112 pages.........

http://www.billikens.com/forum/index.ph ... 6&page=112
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Good summary of the current candidates for SLU

http://fox2now.com/2016/03/23/slu-baske ... es-emerge/