Game 25: Dayton Friday Feb 12, 7:00PM ESPN2

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Game 25: Dayton Friday Feb 12, 7:00PM ESPN2

Unread post by RF1 »

Ramulous
Sly Williams

Unread post by Ramulous »

I want the good teams to beat all the other teams.....Dayton, VCU, St Joes, GW maybe the Bonnies.....they should win every game they play except when they play each other....

.....starting March 7 we should win every game we play.....that is when it matters to us
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Ramulous wrote:Everyone who thinks we are contending for an at-large bid raise their hand.....I am looking at the big picture.....if we were in contention for a bid I say win every single game and damn the opponent and the best interests of the conference...but we are not....the more teams in the NCAA's and the further they advance the better for the prestige of the conference which helps us in the long run....when the NCAA's start I root for every A-10 team to keep winning and for every big east team to be bumped immediately....imagine Villanova being a one seed and their fans crowing about how good the conference is.....who needs that....

I forgive you all for your barbs to me and your lack of vision.
Wanting URI to lose Friday doesn't show vision, it shows you're trying to be too clever and your application of game theory is off. What does URI gain in a loss? As other posters have pointed out, Dayton isn't on the bubble, they're solidly in, so a loss doesn't help conference prestige. A loss doesn't benefit us, it only hurts. And a win over a top 25 squad could be a big boost to our recruiting and national profile.

To Neil's question, I'd like to see the Keaney blues live once, but I think all of our jerseys are pretty sharp, so I'm fine with whatever they go with.

And I saw a commercial on 64 for this game in the last 10 minutes. They certainly seem to be trying to market this game.
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Saying you want URI to lose Friday is a defense mechanism. Puts you in a win-win situation. I guarantee if we win, ramulous will be as happy as anyone.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

TruePoint wrote:Saying you want URI to lose Friday is a defense mechanism. Puts you in a win-win situation. I guarantee if we win, ramulous will be as happy as anyone.
But...doesn't it take 'great vision' to put yourself in a win-win position? :lol: :lol:
Ramulous
Sly Williams

A loss to us hurts their seeding.....I am looking at the big picture...I know they are in the NCAA's no matter what....I want the A-10 to get as many teams into the tournament as possible with the highest possible seeds so they can advance.....It hurts us to get three teams in and all are 10 seeds or worse.....

Our only way in is through the auto bid....lets look at the big picture...I know we want Rhody to win every game and I wont root against us...it's just that a loss is not devastating.....if we were 20-4 and 9-2 in conference I would be singing a different tune...winning this game against Dayton is akin to winning an Pinstripe Bowl football game in college football.....your school feels good but what real benefit is it?
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Ramulous
Sly Williams

To further clarify.....a Dayton win is much better for the conference than a loss to us.....but maybe you folks don't root for our conference in the NCAA tournament....so you don't care.....I want us in the strongest conference possible because in the long run that helps us recruit and keep good coaches.....a conference that gets one or two teams in and they are 10 and 11 seeds sucks and hurts us....
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Ramulous wrote:A loss to us hurts their seeding.....I am looking at the big picture...I know they are in the NCAA's no matter what....I want the A-10 to get as many teams into the tournament as possible with the highest possible seeds so they can advance.....It hurts us to get three teams in and all are 10 seeds or worse.....

Our only way in is through the auto bid....lets look at the big picture...I know we want Rhody to win every game and I wont root against us...it's just that a loss is not devastating.....if we were 20-4 and 9-2 in conference I would be singing a different tune...winning this game against Dayton is akin to winning an Pinstripe Bowl football game in college football.....your school feels good but what real benefit is it?
You say their only way in is through the auto bid - do you want that or not? (My guess is "not") ...they will have no chance at that, if they don't build some confidence and momentum with quality wins first. You are not 'more of a fan' by 'looking out for the welfare of the conference ahead of the success of your own team.' Agree with previous poster...rooting for Dayton to beat URI is a defense mechanism, but will take it a step further...seems silly and over-thought, too.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I know players play the games, coaches coach the games, besides players stepping up to the challenge of the Dayton game. I would also say Coach Hurley came here to be a difference maker in a game or two.....this is one of those....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Pre-season, and with a full roster, I thought Dayton and Rhode Island would split the season series.

Iverson's reportedly been a very limited participant in practice the last couple days.

Also, McElvene is huge, and he's supported by very talented but slightly smaller other bigs. Could be a killer. He doesn't always have the numbers, but in any case, he's a shot altering, large presence.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Ramulous wrote:A loss to us hurts their seeding.....I am looking at the big picture...I know they are in the NCAA's no matter what....I want the A-10 to get as many teams into the tournament as possible with the highest possible seeds so they can advance.....It hurts us to get three teams in and all are 10 seeds or worse.....

Uhhhh you're rooting for us to lose by 10, as you've stated multiple times...

What do WE gain as a program losing by double digits on ESPN2 on a Friday night at home against a Top 20 team?

Stop trying to outsmart yourself here, honestly it's pretty embarrassing.

Such an asinine comment.
Go Rhody
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Vision??????? Sounds like more of an A10 fan that pulls for Rhody if good.

URI wins this game and maybe some other teams lose.

Like why can't Jordan Price get hot and destroy the Bonnies 1 night??

There are so many games left and to mail it in now is odd.

I remember the 5-3 Patriots with a rookie in the backfield. A woman at wide receiver(At least thats what the coach said). .. ... OR was it 5-4. Boom Super Bowl run. That Super Bowl loss laid the foundation for the win a few years later and that win laid the foundation for a dynasty.

Regardless win your games, watch the standings and have a little hope. IF URI loses Friday then its business as usual. IF they win then move on.

Jarvis/Jared have matured/developed. The rest are similarly coming along. This is starting to look like a team so lets see if they can win and whatever.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

We gain a win on national TV over a top 25 program which will raise our national profile and help us in recruiting. It also gives us more money because we should see a small attendance bump in our last two games because of the win. And it gives our guys confidence that they can beat anyone in the A10 tournament. Those are bigger advantages then Dayton being a 5 seed if they beat us rather then a 6 seed if they lose. I want the A10 to do well, but I'm worried about us more.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Ramulous I like your posts I really do. However as I said before we still have a chance for this season to be special. The lessons our team has learned and the game film that has been reviewed coupled with our talent can still yield a strong finish.

This is our last chance to start that run to success. I don't care one bit about the A10 - I want our team to win now. I expect URI will be up to the task. I see no club in the A10 we cannot roll if firing on all cylinders. Nobody scares me and I am confident nobody scares our staff and players!

But it has to start tomorrow night IMO - last chance to get on the roll.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

^ + 1,000,000
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by URI2006_Andy »

Last season, Richmond was 13-12, 6-6 in the A-10. They won 6 in a row and were right on the bubble. Do I think this team will win 5 in a row? Absolutely not. Probably lose in the last 5 minutes tomorrow night trying to take the air out of the ball with a 3 point lead. But the point is it's too early to give up and start rooting for the conference.
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I agree Andy. anyway it just isn't right to root against your own team. Imo the only time to
root against your own team is in baseball when your team is bad and you can get the number
one draft pick. Then it makes sense. we don't gain anything by a Rhody loss. and I ama Dayton
grad who roots for them in every other game all season except URI. I am not rooting for Dayton
to win and I am not worried about Dayton's seeding. They will do great no matter what as usual.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

URI2006_Andy wrote:Last season, Richmond was 13-12, 6-6 in the A-10. They won 6 in a row and were right on the bubble. Do I think this team will win 5 in a row? Absolutely not. Probably lose in the last 5 minutes tomorrow night trying to take the air out of the ball with a 3 point lead. But the point is it's too early to give up and start rooting for the conference.
I 'might' start to root for the conference if URI doesn't make the tournament...but aside from just looking for quality games/upsets, will most likely turn my attention to Ft. Myers. Isn't "Strength of conference" pretty much locked in for this conference at #7 or 8? Is there really a performance level this year that will change it? They're never going to surpass P5 (performance is not going to alter perception by any means), and Big East seems to have a lock on #6?

Then again, Stony Brook has more votes in AP Poll than SJU, GW, and Mich??
Maybe we DO need to just root for the top of the A10...so's the America East doesn't get too puffy? :lol:
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Can't wait for tomorrow.
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

Rooting for us to lose to help Dayton might be the dumbest thing I've ever heard posted on this board, and that's saying something.
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

URI96 wrote:Rooting for us to lose to help Dayton might be the dumbest thing I've ever heard posted on this board, and that's saying something.
Well, that seems kinda harsh.....oh, wait...never mind....
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Stop! Rammer Time wrote:This is a game that I think many of us would've penciled in a loss at the beginning of the season, nevermind now with what has transpired.

Based on what I've seen of this team, I would bet the farm on Dayton.
Huh? URI was ranked higher in places at the beginning of the season (the supposed season it all came together) and it's at home. Why would anyone have penciled in a loss? Still, kenpom has it a one point game.
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Anyone know whether or not Iverson is likely to play? If he's out then the odds of us winning are pretty slim.

Also I don't agree with Ramulous that I would want URI to lose but if we lose to Dayton twice in the regular season I think it'd be difficult for Dayton to beat us a third time if we were to play in the A10 tournament.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Ace said above that Kuran has apparently been a very limited participant in this week's practices. That's the best info we have right now.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ATPTourFan wrote:Ace said above that Kuran has apparently been a very limited participant in this week's practices. That's the best info we have right now.
That was from the questions for Dan from yesterday.
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

The theory of saving our win against Dayton for the A10 tourney makes no sense either. First, it would be a big accomplishment if we beat them at all this season.

Second, If we play Dayton 3 times, that's a good thing. If we win 2 out of 3 against them, that's a real good thing. Either means we win the 2 now and maybe get ourselves in the bubble conversation, or split now and beat them in the A10 tournament.
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

Unread post by Stop! Rammer Time »

Gonebarongone wrote:
Stop! Rammer Time wrote:This is a game that I think many of us would've penciled in a loss at the beginning of the season, nevermind now with what has transpired.

Based on what I've seen of this team, I would bet the farm on Dayton.
Huh? URI was ranked higher in places at the beginning of the season (the supposed season it all came together) and it's at home. Why would anyone have penciled in a loss? Still, kenpom has it a one point game.
I certainly penciled it in when making my prediction in the season prediction thread. (Although that is the revised one after EC went down).

I never said blowout. This team has a penchant for losing games like this though (3-8 in two possession games if I remember correctly). Those wins are against TCU, Iona and Brown. I don't think its likely that we win by more than two possessions. Hence why I would bet on Dayton.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

When I looked this morning it seemed like there are a lot of seats available for this one. Hopefully there's a lot of last minute buying so we can have a good home court advantage. We'll need all the help we can get.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

URI will hang around in this game but ultimately provide another letdown in front of a big crowd. Hope I'm wrong but I don't see it.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

STC wrote:URI will hang around in this game but ultimately provide another letdown in front of a big crowd. Hope I'm wrong but I don't see it.

But according to Romolous, we want that!

:roll: :evil:
Go Rhody
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

URI2006_Andy wrote:The theory of saving our win against Dayton for the A10 tourney makes no sense either. First, it would be a big accomplishment if we beat them at all this season.

Second, If we play Dayton 3 times, that's a good thing. If we win 2 out of 3 against them, that's a real good thing. Either means we win the 2 now and maybe get ourselves in the bubble conversation, or split now and beat them in the A10 tournament.
It's not about saving a win. My point was it's very difficult to beat a good team three times in a row in a season so if we were to lose tomorrow and at Dayton then I'd still like our chances if we play them a third time assuming we're not blown out by 20+. Obviously I'd like us to beat Dayton tomorrow but if Iverson is out then I think it's very unlikely we win especially because we are now 0-13 against top 50 rpi teams between this year and last year.

Also there is no way we enter the bubble conversation. We need to win the A10 tournament or else we're not going to the NCAA tournament.

Edit: And to be clear I'd love more than anything for our losing streak against top 50s to end especially at home, on espn2, against a ranked opponent but right now it's hard to believe that will happen.
Ramulous
Sly Williams

There are those here who know me personally.....they would never question my love for the Rams or my intellect.....so I forgive all of you for your harsh criticisms...you know not what you do.....
URI2006_Andy
Jimmy Baron

I agree it's very tough to beat a good team 3 times in a row. I also agree that the losing team is more likely to make more adjustments the second time around than the winning team even if it's a one possession game. But that has to be weighed against the confidence factor that the winning team has coming in. Either way, I think the odds of winning the third game ultimately stay the same regardless of the results of the first two games.

As for the bubble conversation, I gave you Richmond from last year as an example. I doubt we beat Dayton twice but if we do, we will be back in the conversation. Maybe not in. But at least in the conversation.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RealtimeRPI Forecast has Dayton favored by 1.1 points. URI with a 46% chance of winning.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Based on RPI, we have a 46% chance of winning.

Based on our history in close games this season, we have about a 27% chance of winning.

I would go with that, until we prove otherwise.

A healthy KI would certainly help, but that's not going to be. He might play limited minutes at best.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

https://shar.es/14C8QK

The 'little kid' from the 2014 game is my nephew. He made his uncle proud that night. He is making a return appearance for tomorrow night's game.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RoadyJay wrote:https://shar.es/14C8QK

The 'little kid' from the 2014 game is my nephew. He made his uncle proud that night. He is making a return appearance for tomorrow night's game.
Haha that's great Jay!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RoadyJay wrote:https://shar.es/14C8QK

Awesome! Would like to stop by and say hi to you both!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

@gorhodyrams just posted video showing the sweet FREE t shirts the first 1500 students will receive tomorrow night!

Go over to Instagram and check it out !!
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I want one of those shirts!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Game preview from Will

http://www.independentri.com/rhody_over ... 5e20e.html

Another game preview.
Also talked about- The Mask.

http://www.coxhub.com/articles/improvin ... ce=twitter
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yet Another game preview article just out

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/dayton-rho ... ncaab.html
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote:I want one of those shirts!
Yep
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I want Archie to have to take a deep cleansing breath coming out of the visitors tunnel, and a sigh.....thinking here we go again in the RC......Come on Dan, coach 'em up.......these are the games I expect you to deliver......
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

section(105) wrote:I want Archie to have to take a deep cleansing breath coming out of the visitors tunnel, and a sigh.....thinking here we go again in the RC......Come on Dan, coach 'em up.......these are the games I expect you to deliver......
If he has any brain healing superpowers he hasn't tapped into yet, now would be a good time to do so.
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

STC are you Rambones son? Young DOOM!

GO RHODY!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

brady1 wrote:STC are you Rambones son? Young DOOM!

GO RHODY!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: yes, part of the "Legion of "
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Team Ram-Jam
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Team Ram-Jam »

If we really want the program to grow, and get better player recruiting, this is the type of premier game you must win. Getting a reputation of knocking off ranked teams is wayyyy more important than being in a better conference. (A10 is a top 7 anyway...not bad) This is a game that can build a bigger fan base & fill up the RC on a regular bases. This is the "long-run" vision everyone should be more concerned with! Your showcased on ESPN, show the country your an attractive, enthralling team to watch!
~~~~~~~Follow In game tweets @timmygmagic ~~~~~~~
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Ramulous, are you aware that if Dayton loses to us today but wins out they will likely end the season with RPI of 8! So, in light of that fact would you please consider routing for us to win?

In fact, they could suffer three more loses and potentially still end up with an RPI of 20 or higher, so actually the best thing they could do for 'the league' would be to suffer those loses to (two loses) us and one to the Bonies. In that particular scenario Dayton would be projected to finish the regular season with an RPI of 15!!

If they win out which isn't likely, they have several tough games left to go, they could get maybe a 4 spot in one of the brackets, otherwise they're a likely 5/6 even at an RPI of 15.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'