In Game P.A. Announcer

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: In Game P.A. Announcer

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Most are asking that some changes are made to the delivery, not necessarily that a new PA guy be hired.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Hey BB87

poor character? really? on what authority do you question Yorke's character? what do you know about his behavior that we don't?

This is what I'm talking about, you obviously have an ax to grind, you don't like his politics so you'll be writing to the AD. I hope the whole athletic/marketing department has a good laugh at your expense.

We will never get the support of the current decision makers/government because so many of them went to PC, we don't like the fact that Yorke supports Rhody BBall because we think the government is going to throw money at us. That's not the point at all.

So you are very familiar with Dan Yorke's listener base eh? How about Dan Yorke himself, has he railed against higher education? I can admit I don't listen to his show all that often, but from what I know of him, he is not against supporting higher education. Furthermore I'd have a bigger problem with Dan Yorke if the "decision makers" liked him. I don't like the decision makers in this state, many of them are fools who think they are elite when in reality they are the proverbial big fish in a small pond. Many of these dinks at the state level are too stupid to realize they are not any smarter than their constituents, they don't like Dan Yorke because he doesn't buy their crap. I suspect you are some kind of rep somewhere, no disrespect, but hopefully you don't have anything to do with my town.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Ah the internet...where discussion on a PA announcer somehow ends up coming down to politics...
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Look I may be in the minority who thinks someones actions outside the court is important to their representation of the program and that's fine. His politics don't bother me. I welcome and encourage a diversity of opinion, I think it's healthy. Here is what I don't like. From January to November 4th I listened to the Dan Yorke show Monday-Friday from 12-3 PM on WPRO. Everyday he would call someone (usually public officials but sometimes others) "morons", "scumbags", "idiots", "hacks", "evil", and some other choice words. I have hardly ever heard him promote URI or it's basketball program. Also I am familiar with his listener base. A guy named Joe Fleming polled a variety of issues and one of his demographics included talk show listeners. If you match up cross tabs, they are largely against bond issues (including the engineering bond). Unless Yorke has a listener base vastly different then every other radio talk show, then yes. we will not be winning much support among his listeners.

Anyways, that is my opinion on Dan Yorke as the URI PA announcer. I think his visceral talk on the radio is of poor character and I think that will reflect as a representative of the university and the basketball program. Take my opinion for what it's worth. I would rather see a non-divisive individual doing the announcing.
BleedBlue87
ARD

Also Running Ram, if I was a Rep, I would be fighting for increased funding for URI - that's for sure :)
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

BleedBlue87 wrote:Also Running Ram, if I was a Rep, I would be fighting for increased funding for URI - that's for sure :)
that's one thing we can be in solidarity about.

As for Dan's choice of words on air, I don't have a problem with them, he's not exactly a shock jock, he's actually tame compared to many, I guess that's what they call a difference of opinion between you and I.

As for his promoting URI BB, we're not asking him to talk about it once a day. Yorke has also featured DH on his television broadcast. He's reaching people with what he considers legit news about the men's basketball program of our state university and guess what if they are the people who don't support the bond issues at least lets get some of their $$ for a good product at the Ryan Center, maybe having good experiences, enjoying great basketball will help change their hearts about funding.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
BleedBlue87
ARD

That's a good point about having a good experience possibly changing their minds about funding. Hell, it would be nice to have some company up where I sit.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

We're talking about in-game PA work here. Politics and other stuff is off the table because it is guaranteed to derail any meaningful discussion and send discourse into the gutter.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund