'17 PA PG - David Beatty (La Salle Transfer)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Re: '17 PA PG - David Beatty (South Carolina)

Unread post by DC_Rams »

David Beatty liked this tweet. Still not a fan though...
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

DC_Rams wrote:

What don't you like about him?
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Billyboy78 wrote:
DC_Rams wrote:

What don't you like about him?
Overrated.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

For the last scholly do we want a regular transfer big man ???
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I take Beatty. Low risk/high reward
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Iggy1979 wrote:I take Beatty. Low risk/high reward
He’s going somewhere where he will start. Chances of him ever starting here are LOW.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I don’t dislike Beatty, but I’d take Cheddi with my last spot. Doesn’t seem like we will do that - all indications are we are out on him. But if it were me that’s where I’d start trying to fill this spot.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote:I don’t dislike Beatty, but I’d take Cheddi with my last spot. Doesn’t seem like we will do that - all indications are we are out on him. But if it were me that’s where I’d start trying to fill this spot.
In DiSano’s interview with Coach Cox the Coach said the last scholarship will most likely be used on a regular transfer. I think he doesn’t feel they need immediate help and wants to balance out the years. Coach mentioned Thompson as a potential to playing an important role. That would give coach a 8-9 player rotation.

DC: It’s a tough one to anticipate and I need all of these guys to make a jump. All of them need to get in the gym and get better and add to their games. But if I were to point out one particular person it would be Christion Thompson because he didn’t play last year and we’re going to need to see what he can give us this year. He could end up playing a very important role for us. Athlete, great body, capable shooter, and a very tough kid who can do many of the things Stan Robinson did for us this season along with knocking down some open jumpers.
“We will be good when we are good.”
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Rhody83 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:I don’t dislike Beatty, but I’d take Cheddi with my last spot. Doesn’t seem like we will do that - all indications are we are out on him. But if it were me that’s where I’d start trying to fill this spot.
In DiSano’s interview with Coach Cox the Coach said the last scholarship will most likely be used on a regular transfer. I think he doesn’t feel they need immediate help and wants to balance out the years. Coach mentioned Thompson as a potential to playing an important role. That would give coach a 8-9 player rotation.

DC: It’s a tough one to anticipate and I need all of these guys to make a jump. All of them need to get in the gym and get better and add to their games. But if I were to point out one particular person it would be Christion Thompson because he didn’t play last year and we’re going to need to see what he can give us this year. He could end up playing a very important role for us. Athlete, great body, capable shooter, and a very tough kid who can do many of the things Stan Robinson did for us this season along with knocking down some open jumpers.
I can see an 9-10 man rotation this year. Cox might be more free wheeling with the subs keeping the guy fresher throughout the game especially if he wants to play that uptempo style he is talking about.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

If that’s the determination he makes, fine. But I’d love to add an experienced guy to compete for minutes. They’re going to have no choice but to depend on all four freshman in an 8 man rotation unless a Layssard makes the leap. Adding Cheddi or another 5th year would give you a little insurance in that regard.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

TruePoint wrote:If that’s the determination he makes, fine. But I’d love to add an experienced guy to compete for minutes. They’re going to have no choice but to depend on all four freshman in an 8 man rotation unless a Layssard makes the leap. Adding Cheddi or another 5th year would give you a little insurance in that regard.
G - Dowtin
G - Russell
G - Thompson
F - Harris
F - Langevine

Bench:
G - Martin
F - Akele
F - Preston
G - Tate
G - Omar

Likely rotation if they go ten deep, if it’s 8-9 it’s a battle for minutes already without using the 13th slot on an eligible player.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Tate a guard?
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

CT Rhody wrote:
TruePoint wrote:If that’s the determination he makes, fine. But I’d love to add an experienced guy to compete for minutes. They’re going to have no choice but to depend on all four freshman in an 8 man rotation unless a Layssard makes the leap. Adding Cheddi or another 5th year would give you a little insurance in that regard.
G - Dowtin
G - Russell
G - Thompson
F - Harris
F - Langevine

Bench:
G - Martin
F - Akele
F - Preston
G - Tate
G - Omar

Likely rotation if they go ten deep, if it’s 8-9 it’s a battle for minutes already without using the 13th slot on an eligible player.
Tate is definitely a forward (6-7, 220) Martin (6-6) is a SF and will play the 3.
I doubt Preston plays. They had less depth upfront this year and he never played.

When you put minutes per game for your top players you realize it is hard to have a 10 man rotation. Jeff and Fatts are going to get 30-33 mins/game. Jeff averaged 33 mins/game last year. If 10 guys got playing time #8-10 would probably be 10 mins or less.
Last year Rhody had 8 players with 17+ mins and Akele at 8.6 mins and thst was with EC and Cyril injuries.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Martin and Tate will be playing 3 and 4. Martin is a SF with good ball skills. Beatty is able to play 1,2 or 3 and would likely be a starter as a junior and senior. He has stud potential, we're not talking role player here. If he's giving us a look we ought to be looking back at him.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

rambone 78 wrote:Tate a guard?
In a basic three guard lineup, yes. Can he play the undersized four position? Of course. We have options people.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I definitely see a 9 man rotation , I think 8 is a little thin and we do have depth especially if Laysard competes for minutes

The 9 th guy probably won't play that much kind of like Akele role last year

Also injuries can pop up so we will need the depth
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

reef wrote:I definitely see a 9 man rotation , I think 8 is a little thin and we do have depth especially if Laysard competes for minutes

The 9 th guy probably won't play that much kind of like Akele role last year

Also injuries can pop up so we will need the depth
Just classifying it differently. I would say Rhody played an 8 man rotation and that Akele wasn’t in the rotation. There were many halfs where Akele didn’t play. There were 17 games where Akele played 5 minutes or less.

I don’t think an 8 man rotation is thin. In Hurley’s six years he never had a 9 man rotation.
You have 200 minutes to use. Jeff and Fatts will probably take up 65 minutes in total. That would leave an avg of 22 minutes for the other 6 players. A 9th player could see action when two Forwards get in foul trouble (but not be part of the rotation).
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

CT Rhody wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:Tate a guard?
In a basic three guard lineup, yes. Can he play the undersized four position? Of course. We have options people.
Dana is not an undersized four. He is 6-7 220-230 lbs.
Did you see the video when Cyril come into his interview? They are basically the same height.

TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It's weird because I feel people are appropriately excited about Tate as a player but at the same time they seemed to be pretty confused about what he actually is as a player.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

TruePoint wrote:It's weird because I feel people are appropriately excited about Tate as a player but at the same time they seemed to be pretty confused about what he actually is as a player.
Yeah, the times I saw him play, he was mostly on the perimeter. If I had to give him a position, I'd say he's a 3. His biggest offensive strength is taking it to the basket and finishing with that strong body. He does shoot it pretty well. I guess he could play a big guard at times, but might have difficulty guarding someone with quickness.
RamIt!
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RamIt! »

TruePoint wrote:It's weird because I feel people are appropriately excited about Tate as a player but at the same time they seemed to be pretty confused about what he actually is as a player.
I think conference plays a role in that... When you look at Martin and ARD they were in the 6-7-6-8 range, but played as a pseudo power forward/center. With our current class in the A10 I see Tate as a true power forward and Harris as more of a PF/Center at 6-9 (seen him listed as 6-10 on some sites)
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I basically agree. I think almost all of his minutes over the course of his 4 years will come as a 4, and he is probably an old school 3/4 tweener (i.e., not a new school finesse stretch 4 that is just a tall guy that is going to stand 20 feet from the hoop and hoist up jumpers). He's got a really strong, solid frame and can be a bull going to the basket and should be able to do a ton of work on the glass in the A10.
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

If you look at the video on Tate, he does handle the ball quite a bit and slash to the
hoop. But at his size he projects as a 3-4. Hell we played with Hass at the 5 at 6'7".
Tate could be a match-up nightmare for conventional 4's and 3's. Too quick for the 4's and
too big for the 3's ( if he can defend the 3). I think part of his development will
be improving his post up game. And I see him and Martin sharing time at the 3 spot
as well. This team is going to look very different than last years team. Very different
parts with very different skill sets. It's going to be interesting to see what works
best.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Also earlier in the year the rotation may be a solid 9 but I agree later in the year especially in the postseason you are looking at a solid 8
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

TruePoint wrote:I basically agree. I think almost all of his minutes over the course of his 4 years will come as a 4, and he is probably an old school 3/4 tweener (i.e., not a new school finesse stretch 4 that is just a tall guy that is going to stand 20 feet from the hoop and hoist up jumpers). He's got a really strong, solid frame and can be a bull going to the basket and should be able to do a ton of work on the glass in the A10.
I am hoping he can mold his game after Jimmy Butler.
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

Where did the Beatty thread go?
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

Per Jon Rothstein's twitter, Beatty is visiting Temple on Tuesday and LaSalle on Wednesday.
URIRecruitingInfo
ARD

Unread post by URIRecruitingInfo »

rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

I hope not. A big wing shooter or a shot blocker if we use the remaining '18, please.
You'd think the signing of Silverio would have put an end to these discussions.
LaSalle makes perfect sense.
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

He just announced his commitment to LaSalle on his twitter account.
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Once we landed Omar I think we've switched focus to a
wing shooter or a big.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

We were never considering him.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote:We were never considering him.
I’m not sure if that is true or not, but he visited URI. Maybe just hanging out with Fatts.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: '17 PA PG - David Beatty (La Salle Transfer)

Unread post by reef »

Fatts and Beatty to watch go at it will be fun
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

TruePoint wrote:
I’m not sure if that is true or not, but he visited URI. Maybe just hanging out with Fatts.
Visited after he transferred? Don’t think it happened.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

He was on the URI campus before his release was announced
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
bacarlson21
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by bacarlson21 »

TruePoint wrote:
This was a done deal as soon as Howard was announced the new head coach of LaSalle. Howard is LOVED within the Philly basketball community and you will see a big uptick in their recruiting. Give him 2-3 years and he’ll have LaSalle competing for A10 championships.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

The more strong A10 teams the better.....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah seems like a great hire for the Explorers good for the conference, looks like Fordham will have the basement all too themselves again ???
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Fatts Instagram video. I believe the player with no shirt covering him is David Beatty. Fatts scores on him both times.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah that's Beatty and Fatts looks really really good !!!