Mike Powell

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SlyWilliamsCaddy
Michael Andersen

Re: Mike Powell

Unread post by SlyWilliamsCaddy »

Update: Mike Powell got cut from the program yesterday. Couldn't secure a scholarship and they decided that Hares academics were in good enough shape that they could absorb the loss of powell against the apr. Due to space concerns they were faced with either Jordan or Mike. Pretty clear they made the right choice.

At least i dont have to deal with Mikes dad attacking me in private mssgs anymore. He was a good guy, up until you said anything possibly negative about mike. I told him to face the facts, that i liked mike alot and he was a good teammate but i need a pg who shoots over 20% from the field. He called me an idiot who knows nothing about basketball. That is probably true but it doesnt take red auerbach to recognize that mike was playing in a conference that was well above his skill level.

and in regards to the visit yesterday; mann oh man oh man i wonder who it could be.

Terrence was at the RC with his mother yesterday for a couple hours wearing URI warmups.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Terrence was at the Mews when his Mom was introduced to the Rhody community. He was holding a URI hat .... I know it was for his mother, but I was thinking how nice it would be if it was at his commitment to URI.
Slava Ukraini!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

SWC, is Powell going to be a walk on, or is he leaving school?
This explains why staff seems to be recruiting transfers.
You and I absorbed the brunt of Mike Sr.'s wrath. I often wonder
how much his attitude affected his son, towards his coaches instructions.
Love the idea of Mann hanging around URI. Gets the vibe of the place,
gets to know the players, and that's all good.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

rodfromcranston wrote: Love the idea of Mann hanging around URI. Gets the vibe of the place,
gets to know the players, and that's all good.
Agree entirely. If he comes here, it won't be because his mom coaches the women's team. However, having her here can only help. He'll get to know Hurley and the campus better than any other place during his recruitment. Hurley and the staff will have by far the most access to him, and he can develop bonds with the players on the team before he even begins playing in college. Might end up being nothing, but could definitely be something.
SlyWilliamsCaddy
Michael Andersen

yea idk if we have a shot at terrence, im hearing hes really liking Gtown and florida. But i do know he was here and wearing Rhody warmups and shot around a little.

Whenever we have a recruit on a visit, especially the bigtime ones, DH has the staff at the RC setup the locker room as if it were game day. When Jared came on his most recent visit, dh wanted him so badly he had the whole RC set up as if it were game day and that he played him the intro vids and the lightshow on the court etc.

None of that was done yesterday so the thinking is that they didnt know he was coming with his mother.
SlyWilliamsCaddy
Michael Andersen

Rod, powell is officially done. Not sure if hes gonna stay in school, but he is officially done with the bball team.

In regards to Mann, i agree its good to have him around all the time for all of the above stated reasons, but at the end of the day when it comes time to pick a college, Who really wants to go to a place with there mom being there? College is supposed to be a chance to get out on your own and make your own path. Having mom there will either be a great thing for us but i think its more likely that it will be a bad thing for us. If you think that terrence cares about the fact that he could save us a scholarship, then your kidding yourself.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Without any knowledge but my gut, I bet Powell would have been able to complete and compete some if not for Sr. interference. Hey Dad, get a life and let Mike have his back.

Sly, there's no chance the Powell family is able to get creative in terms of funding and Mike walks-on? I do feel for the guy, he worked his ass off and was thrown directly into the fire as a result of CFL's impotence.
Too bad he didn't work on his lane floater like Bobby advised.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

SlyWilliamsCaddy wrote: If you think that terrence cares about the fact that he could save us a scholarship, then your kidding yourself.
I think I mentioned that a while back. Certainly don't think he personally would care about it, but it would be an added bonus to the awesomeness of him signing here.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

I thought the rule was the person must have tenure at the school, or have been there for 5 years, or something along those lines. I believe Baron payed for Jimmy's first year at URI.
Having Terrance around is a good thing, even if he doesn't come to URI. It will be beneficial for our guys to play pick up not only with each other, but also against local talent like the Murphy's and Terrance. When numbers are low when some of the guys are home during the summer, it's nice that you have some talent nearby that can come over and play.
SlyWilliamsCaddy
Michael Andersen

idk about the waiting for 5 years thing, i had a friend i went to high school with and she was originally going to go to Keene st in new hampshire but then towards the end of our senior year her mother was hired in the admissions department for only like 55k a year (just saying it wasnt a big time job or anything) and right after her mother was hired she decided to stay home and go to rhody because it was now free.
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

His signing with URI should have been in mom's contract.LOL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Can we keep the Mann discussions out of the Powell thread? It isn't like he doesn't have his own thread.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Rhody74 wrote:Terrence was at the Mews when his Mom was introduced to the Rhody community. He was holding a URI hat .... I know it was for his mother, but I was thinking how nice it would be if it was at his commitment to URI.
That wasn't Terrance. That was his younger brother
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Thanks, Jay. The audio in the Youtube I saw was a little garbled, so I guess my wishful thinking took over.
Slava Ukraini!
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

If SWC's reports are correct, then it's a pretty anti-climactic end for MP at URI. Kind of a shame in some ways, Mike always seemed like a good kid who worked hard and tried his best, just seems to have made a poor decision last year hoping that he'd garner more interest in the transfer market.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

SlyWilliamsCaddy wrote:... and they decided that Hare's academics were in good enough shape...
A pretty important point.

And, in general, players are never helped when the people around them- family, coaches, assorted others- are not being honest with them.
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Powell seemed like a good kid. I never thought he was an impact player at this level. Must be tough for star high schoolers to find out they are just another guy in college.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

scored 20 in his second game as a Ram at UT....there was hope for him. very tough to go from a scoring mentality to a pass-first PG and he never was able to make that evolution to his game. its why Garrett excites me, we haven't had a true PG it what seems like forever, let alone a highly regarded one. there are people here who hold up howie smith as something to aspire to, clearly you missed guys like Silk, Tyson, Jason Alexander and heck some of our guys even had me pining for the days of Carlos Easterling.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Jason Alexander is a name that doesn't get mentioned enough. I was born too late to know Silk, but Alexander was Tyson for me before Tyson was Tyson.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

aka Jason Gilliam

an all time fave of mine as well. partly for his game, partly bc we were same age and hung out at Al Skinner Camp as 12 year olds....when he showed up in a URI uniform 6 years later i was like NO WAY! fwiw he was the best kid at camp, by a lot, but that wasn't necessarily saying much.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I wish you guys could have seen Jiggy.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

FWIW - I've heard Powell won't ever suit up for the Rams again, but his scholarship hasn't been cut yet. If they find someone they want to take in for the 2014-15, then yeah, it won't be renewed. Otherwise, he'll be kept on for APR reasons, since they aren't sure if he'd be able to find another school to latch on to, and he probably can't afford URI's out of state tuition. For grades and skill reasons, there wasn't a ton of interest in him once it was known that he was interested in transferring. Unless something has radically changed in the Spring 2014 semester, his grades aren't great. (That's obviously private info, but URI does release its Dean's List, and Powell hasn't ever been on it.)
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Jiggy Williamson. Tough, fearless, and focused.
Played with attitude, and a toothpick in his mouth.
Lead by example.
Once Sly joined the team, Jiggy didn't need to be the primary scorer,
and just became the field general, but one who could score if needed.
Until Silk, ten years later, the best at his position that I saw at URI.
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

Sorry to hear Mike will be leaving, from my interactions with him and hearing from other people he's a good kid. College basketball is a business and it's cutthroat, Mike made some mistakes but he's also a victim of circumstance. Good luck to him, I hope he finishes up and gets his degree.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Keaney.Blue wrote:Sorry to hear Mike will be leaving, from my interactions with him and hearing from other people he's a good kid. College basketball is a business and it's cutthroat, Mike made some mistakes but he's also a victim of circumstance. Good luck to him, I hope he finishes up and gets his degree.

He likely would still have a scholarship and be on the team had he not quit last year. While I understand his frustration of diminishing minutes at that time, it was not a wise decision on his part. He was given the chance to start early on last year and did not do enough to maintain a starter role. Had he stayed he could have possibly worked his way back with better results and most certainly would have seen more time when the team later encountered guard injuries.

I feel bad for Mike but he unfortunately had a lot to do with his present plight. He has learned a hard lesson that actions have consequences and careful thought and deliberation should be given to matters before making decisions.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

TruePoint wrote:Jason Alexander is a name that doesn't get mentioned enough. I was born too late to know Silk, but Alexander was Tyson for me before Tyson was Tyson.
I saw him hit the game winner in the NIT game at BC. Typical Al team that year, lot of interchangeable parts. Unfortunately, Alexander had too many issues off the court.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

RF1 wrote:
Keaney.Blue wrote:Sorry to hear Mike will be leaving, from my interactions with him and hearing from other people he's a good kid. College basketball is a business and it's cutthroat, Mike made some mistakes but he's also a victim of circumstance. Good luck to him, I hope he finishes up and gets his degree.

He likely would still have a scholarship and be on the team had he not quit last year. While I understand his frustration of diminishing minutes at that time, it was not a wise decision on his part. He was given the chance to start early on last year and did not do enough to maintain a starter role. Had he stayed he could have possibly worked his way back with better results and most certainly would have seen more time when the team later encountered guard injuries.

I feel bad for Mike but he unfortunately had a lot to do with his present plight. He has learned a hard lesson that actions have consequences and careful thought and deliberation should be given to matters before making decisions.
Was he given the option of staying with the team this year?
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Apparently, if a school does not "renew" a scholly, the player still has to sit out a year.

I am not really sure how this applies to Mike because of last year, but why in the world, if Rhody terminated a scholly, and URI said it was ok to transfer, would the NCAA care? It seems as if this would be a win-win-win.

More confounding, they say it is ok to transfer to a Div2 program with no penalties(Maybe that is what Mike will do).

Just another example of NCAA self righteous, but illogical decisions.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

McRam wrote:Apparently, if a school does not "renew" a scholly, the player still has to sit out a year.

I am not really sure how this applies to Mike because of last year, but why in the world, if Rhody terminated a scholly, and URI said it was ok to transfer, would the NCAA care? It seems as if this would be a win-win-win.

More confounding, they say it is ok to transfer to a Div2 program with no penalties(Maybe that is what Mike will do).

Just another example of NCAA self righteous, but illogical decisions.
When the NCAA tries to adapt for special circumstances, it always leads to something that can be abused like the hardship waiver. It should be one rule for everybody, the NCAA doesn't have the investigative resources to police anything else.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

BFC, I do not think I made myself clear; my thought is that why not have standard rule be that if a school does not renew a scholly AND agrees that they are "released" to another school, there should not be a one year penalty.

I assume, that if this was the rule, Mike wins, as he finishes his degree on a scholly, the new school wins because they get a player that they want for a year and URI wins, since,t would have no APR consequences.

I agree with you on waivers in general; too much room for abuse, inconsistency, and political reasons that decisions can be very arbitrary.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

But there's potential for special arrangements even in that. If a player is going to transfer and the school is going to lose him anyway, agreements could be made with AAU or prep coaches to "release" this guy if they want a chance with the next guy. It may seem unlikely at this point because the "release" rule doesn't exist but nobody anticipated that the graduate transfer rule would have such an impact on freshmen and sophmores transferring so that they can secure that free second transfer.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

BFC are you suggesting that there are some people that are not ethical and/or above board???? :idea: :idea:
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

BFC wrote:But there's potential for special arrangements even in that. If a player is going to transfer and the school is going to lose him anyway, agreements could be made with AAU or prep coaches to "release" this guy if they want a chance with the next guy. It may seem unlikely at this point because the "release" rule doesn't exist but nobody anticipated that the graduate transfer rule would have such an impact on freshmen and sophmores transferring so that they can secure that free second transfer.
BFC, what do you mean by the bolded? I'm not really following.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

I think he means that kids that transfer after freshman or sophomore years are the one that are eligible for the 5th year transfer since they will have 4 years in college already
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

When the graduate transfer rule was implemented, the intent was to benefit players who graduate in 3 years or players who had a redshirt year but most of the players who are now taking advantage of it are neither, they're players who already transferred once. It used to be very uncommon to play for 3 schools and usually had to do with academic or behavior issues, it now happens all of the time.
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

TruePoint wrote:Jason Alexander is a name that doesn't get mentioned enough. I was born too late to know Silk, but Alexander was Tyson for me before Tyson was Tyson.
Jason thought he was mislead when recruited. He expected to start as a freshman, had other good offers where he would have started. Al went in a different direction with Los because he felt the team needed a game manager and not a scoring first PG. Great guy who was really frustrated.
'No Mercy.'
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

BFC wrote:When the graduate transfer rule was implemented, the intent was to benefit players who graduate in 3 years or players who had a redshirt year but most of the players who are now taking advantage of it are neither, they're players who already transferred once. It used to be very uncommon to play for 3 schools and usually had to do with academic or behavior issues, it now happens all of the time.
Is that true that "most" of the graduate transfers have already transferred? I guess I wasn't aware that was the case. Even if it is the case, why would a kid transfer once just so they would later be able to transfer again? I don't get the logic there. Seems like a weird long game to play when you could just go where you want on your first transfer (never mind when you're coming out of HS in the first place).
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

TruePoint wrote:Is that true that "most" of the graduate transfers have already transferred? I guess I wasn't aware that was the case. Even if it is the case, why would a kid transfer once just so they would later be able to transfer again? I don't get the logic there. Seems like a weird long game to play when you could just go where you want on your first transfer (never mind when you're coming out of HS in the first place).
Obviously if a player is happy with their first choice, its a non-issue but if you're not or even just have some doubts then you get to choose a another school by transferring and get the added benefit of a second free transfer if that doesn't work out. Some people like to have choices and the best way to maximize your choices within the current NCAA rules is to transfer early so that you can almost guarantee yourself a second out.
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Did Jason go to Stetson? He was a fun player. Were he and Colson here at the same time?
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

that sounds right Rosie, but no i dont think he overlapped with Colson, he overlapped with Easterling I believe.....Colson overlapped with Tyson.
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Jason did go to Stetson. I think half way through the year Jason took over Easterling's starting position.
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Colson and Tyson, yes. Easterling seemed more like a 2 guard in pg body. Wasn't a big fan overall. Seldom passed the ball.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Rosie I think your memory is foggy on Carlos, his problem was he couldn't score. He had no outside shot and was a penetrate and pass only PG. I dont remember him gunning because I dont remember him shooting much, that is why I always preferred Jason who was a threat to score.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Can somebody please tell me what the shit this means: "The Rams have two seniors in Gilvydas Biruta and T.J. Buchanan, but it appears point guard Mike Powell could be a part of the program in 2014-15 and graduate next spring. That means Hurley and his staff are likely looking for a scoring big man and athletic wing this month."

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... ograms.ece
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I think it means he could be part of the program in 2014-15? Could be wrong about that, though.

Also talking about this in the other thread where ramster linked to this article last night. I don't see why it matters whether he's on the team this year or not. He'll be the 12th or 13th guy if he is so it's not like you'll have to watch him play, and his graduating would be immensely helpful to our APR situation.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

TruePoint wrote:I think it means he could be part of the program in 2014-15? Could be wrong about that, though.

Also talking about this in the other thread where ramster linked to this article last night. I don't see why it matters whether he's on the team this year or not. He'll be the 12th or 13th guy if he is so it's not like you'll have to watch him play, and his graduating would be immensely helpful to our APR situation.
Touche. I thought he was going to stay and graduate, but I also thought we were still going to have his scholly open for next season?

I didn't see the other thread so my apologies for digging this one up.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

No worries. I think at this point I'd prefer to roll the schollie forward to next class anyways. Would rather take my chances recruiting a stud over then next 8 months than reach for a '14 at the end of summer just to fill a spot. Without Jared on board I could see worrying that Mike might actually see the court, but he is at best the 5th and maybe the 6th guard on the team now.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

What it means is Mike Powell is not going to be participating with the team next season, despite Kevin McNamara's poor wording of the situation. Heck, he's lost his jersey #1 to Jarvis!

As we speculated earlier this Spring, Mike would be kept on campus and enrolled, utilizing the 13th scholarship, next season so he can finish his degree and help with APR. That's all.

Be calm and carry on with your offseason.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

As I said in the recruiting thread, all it means is,
we don't bring in a 5th year player.
That would have been a luxury, but if keeping Powell on
scholarship helps the APR, fine.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Mmmm plus our last 5th year player killed someone so maybe it's best for everyone to stick with what we've got. Like TP said not like he'll be doing anything other than organizing chants with JR and Butler.

Give to Rhody's NIL