Game #13: Southern Mississippi - Saturday Dec 28 @ 2pm

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Game #13: Southern Mississippi - Saturday Dec 28 @ 2pm

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Need a few days off from this board after this loss. We will hit January with zero top 150 wins.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It's not doom and gloom on anyone's part. It is the sad reality of Rhody basketball right now. This team is bad. There was a lot of hype but apparently not much to back it up. This is sadly another lost season. Things will some day get better. I am just not sure how long we will have to wait. I unfortunately don't have high hopes for next year given we don't yet know of any significant talent being added.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Good effort today against a strong club.

I remain completely befuddled as to why we continue to miss so many layups...
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

hrstrat57 wrote:Good effort today against a strong club.

I remain completely befuddled as to why we continue to miss so many layups...

And foul shots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

the play that turned the game for the worse was the Biruta foul at the 3 point line with just over 4 minutes left. That turned a 3 point game to 5 points, the next sequence was the Reischel sequences that quickly made it a 7 point game
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Still no answer against zone. Zero. Where did big o go?
GO RAMS
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

They got it to two, and Hurley put Biruta and Reischel in for Martin and TJ.
BIG mistake!
All of a sudden, So Miss went inside at will, plus both guys making silly fouls.
This let So. Miss go on a 7=0 run, because of the lousy subtitutions.
We got ONE basket from that point to the end of the game.
This was a winnable game. Lousy free throw shooting, and lousy refs both hurt.
We played a good first half, and looked like we forgot the good things we did,
starting the second half.
Munford scored eight straight points in the first half and got taken out.
A move right out of the CFL playbook.
One and done all game long. Can't rebound and other than Martin, zero interior defense.
TJ played his heart out. I'd start TJ, Munford, Matthews, and Martin against Brown.
Play the guys who look like they want to be there.
This season in now in danger of becoming a sub .500 one as things stand.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Two points during the last 2:10….
IT IS TIME FOR SOMEONE TO HAVE THE GUTS TO STEP UP AND BE WHAT "X" WAS LAST SEASON. THERE IS NO ONE TO DEFER. FORGET IF SOMEONE'S TOES GET STEPPED ON. TOO LATE, TOO BAD.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

twisted3829 wrote:the play that turned the game for the worse was the Biruta foul at the 3 point line with just over 4 minutes left. That turned a 3 point game to 5 points, the next sequence was the Reischel sequences that quickly made it a 7 point game
Yep, real bad play. Good call.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

This losing blows.. SICK OF IT.. I'll be at the George mason game.. But can't stomach a loss that day
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

"O" should be on a freshman team.
What does TJ have to do to start on this lousy team?
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

As a "Real Rhode Islander/URI fan," the only temporary salve for this game-collapse will be a UMass crushing of PC……..
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

On the bright side - that was the last home OOC game. Only 8 A-10 home games now left. Half the home slate is now in the past.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I miss the days of going into most games expecting to win. I have almost become numb to the losses, and go into most games expecting to lose and just hoping to keep it respectable. Then I look for anything positive to "build on"....just sad.

This team has now played about 20 games together...Italy and preseason included; we are what we are... Beside EC, Gil and maybe HM there is not much here to build on for next year either. To me Biggie is not the type of PG who will lead you to the promised land...but he would be a great backup.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

the more I watch, the less I think this team can be anything more than what they are now; start Martin, TJ; sit Iffy and Gil, bring them in later.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Hey we suck, but it also sucks we have to cheer for umASS over PC , I will do it though today.

Again wish we knew what we were getting Gil had something like 5 and 4?? That is awful. Foul trouble is something that gets old in basketball, with that it eventually becomes.....
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If I knew we were going to suck, it wouldn't be so bad. It's the high expectations that almost everyone had...fans, coaches, media...for this team, that's making this another brutal year.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

I wouldn't say coaches billyboy, Hurley often said it wouldn't be as much of a jump as most people think
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

twist; OK maybe. However, I do recall he saying numerous times; "we are ahead of where I thought we be in year two......"
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Billyboy78 wrote:If I knew we were going to suck, it wouldn't be so bad. It's the high expectations that almost everyone had...fans, coaches, media...for this team, that's making this another brutal year.
Well this won't be a problem next year...I expect we will all be sufficiently jaded and need a lot of convincing well into the season, if they appear to be any good. BTW, at this point I don't expect them to be any good. If we suck again next year, I would ask Dan for a refund...imagine paying him about $2 million for three losing seasons in a row!
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

We also heard, constantly, how good the guys sitting out looked last year at practice.

We could have been this bad for a lot less money.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

twisted3829 wrote:I wouldn't say coaches billyboy, Hurley often said it wouldn't be as much of a jump as most people think
Hurley also talked about how we would be able to play a completely different style of play this year because of the difference in the talent level. He sounded pretty confident when talking about his transfers and Iffy. In my opinion, Biruta, Minnis, and especially Reischel and Iffy have not been anything close to what we expected. And, I think a lot of those expectations were because of what we were being told about them by the coach.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

No doubt about it...he committed the cardinal sin of over promising and under delivering. Our last coach loved to temper expectations, and our current one sets them too high. Either that, or he actually thought this team would be good; and then we have a whole other problem of a coach that doesn't know talent.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

bressler3south wrote:Two points during the last 2:10….
IT IS TIME FOR SOMEONE TO HAVE THE GUTS TO STEP UP AND BE WHAT "X" WAS LAST SEASON. THERE IS NO ONE TO DEFER. FORGET IF SOMEONE'S TOES GET STEPPED ON. TOO LATE, TOO BAD.
It was way worse than that. Two points in the last 5:15.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

I completely agree about Gil's fourth foul!! it was stupid and killed our momentum. Also, not that we would have won, because we can't make a lay-up for shit and free throws, forget about it, but the refs sucked, I'm so sick of bottom of the barrel scabby refs.
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

rodfromcranston wrote:They got it to two, and Hurley put Biruta and Reischel in for Martin and TJ.
BIG mistake!
All of a sudden, So Miss went inside at will, plus both guys making silly fouls.
One and done all game long. Can't rebound and other than Martin, zero interior defense.
TJ played his heart out. I'd start TJ, Munford, Matthews, and Martin against Brown.

Just got back from the game and was about to vent when I saw Rod's post. Bingo, bingo, bingo. I almost jumped over the railing when I saw Biruta and Reischel at the scorers table. I told my wife that if we lost, it was on DH, with that sub at that time. Also I have always been a supporter, but his sideline complaining has become Baronesque. Time to give it a rest.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Can't play fast break hoops if you can't make layups.

Can't run motion if you can't shoot.

Can't pound it inside / play low post game / take it to the rack if you can't shoot free throws......

Solution?

Dunno.....
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

This team court speed is slow, and slower than let's say So. Miss. That lack of collectiVe speed does not allow the speed'em up, force up tempo type style I thought we were going to play. THe loss of Hare And now Mike have contributed to our rebounding deficiencies and getting on many fast breaks, let alone perimeter points in the secondary break.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Absolutely lost on this team. One minute they look great then the next they're a jv team. What blows my mind more is Big O. The Maine game was fantastic. I don't care about competition level it was the concept of haven't two big men getting the ball on the block backing down the defender and scoring.
GO RAMS
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

It looked to me that TJ got banged up necessitating him coming out.....until then he was our best player on the floor...the only one IMHO playing with passion and intensity....the only player on the roster this year to this point meeting or exceeding expectations....including the coaching staff.....to this point a season well below expectations....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

With current demonstrated lack of speed and opponents cutting into the heart(?) of our defense......UMass Chazz and Putney will have a day at the beach........
Ram logo via Grist 1938
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Game was over when Gil and Jarrelle came in for TJ and Hassan after we had it to two. I don't know if that small lineup will work against other teams, but against Southern Miss it was the answer. They identified Gil to attack when they had the ball, and they scored at will when he was on the floor.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Again, it's a Frankenstein team. You have athletes like TJ,Matthews, Martin, Munford and Minnis,
and slow-mos like Biruta, and Reischel. I don't know where Oneykaba fits, because he's never
around long enough to tell.
The front court just isn't any good as a unit.
Dan said after the game that his frontcourt, except Martin, cost the team this game.
Clearly Hurley overrated his practice squad, because of who they were playing against every day.
I think there are building blocks here, in the guards, and Martin.
Just don't know where the injection of additional talent will come from, as they are scrambling
to get into spring recruiting to fill the unexpected holes that have happened.
And, yes, Dan's sideline act is starting to get stale.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Jarelle is a total non factor, almost reminds(at this point)me of Ben Eaves, over hyped player from a higher level program, classic transfer scenario that seldom matches the hype.....
Ram logo via Grist 1938
HobbyBurley
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HobbyBurley »

The offense felt very one dimensional, especially in the 2nd half. Seems like every possession was an attempt at a dribble drive with a last second pass or desperation shot hoping for a foul. I get that Southern Miss' zone defense was a big part of this, but it was certainly hard to watch, especially once the turnovers started to piled up. Obviously, the scoring options are limited so I'm not saying there's a better gameplan out there, but it got ugly towards towards the end.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote:Jarelle is a total non factor, almost reminds(at this point)me of Ben Eaves, over hyped player from a higher level program, classic transfer scenario that seldom matches the hype.....
Jarelle's fouls to minutes played ratio the last few games is startling.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Rice U is a higher level than URI? Oh.
HobbyBurley
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HobbyBurley »

section(105) wrote:Jarelle is a total non factor, almost reminds(at this point)me of Ben Eaves, over hyped player from a higher level program, classic transfer scenario that seldom matches the hype.....
Was he hyped up that much though? I don't remember hearing a whole lot about him compared to some of the freshmen recruits, could easily be wrong as I don't follow as closely as most here. He needs to be more careful on D. I barely noticed him then all of a sudden he had 4 fouls. Same thing vs UNH.

And +1 to rod.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

The sideline intensity/demeanor shows how much he wants to compensate for the lack of process on the court. He's trying to place himself in the action, trying to will every last scrap for guys who are failing him and vice-versa.
And when that doesn't work he is a WHINER EXTRAORDINAIRE, SO UPTIGHT THAT HE BECOMES THE SPOTLIGHT. No one -- NO ONE -- wants to listen to a WHINER: not the refs, not the fans -- AND NOT A COACH'S PLAYERS. Eventually, EVERYONE TUNES HIM OUT. AND THEY DON'T PERFORM.
The refs look the other way.
The fans lose their enthusiasm.
The players lose the trust and admiration for a man they consider a "father-figure."
That is a dysfunction at its worst.

Ironically, Pitino and Boeheim were once where Hurley is now. The Un-Mellow Crybaby Crew….

I knew how great Assistant Coach Hurley was last year; I didn't realize how valuable as a counter-weight he was.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Boeheim used to be a whiner?!?
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

What I don't get is at times we had size down low. Does this team not even try an alley oop? Martin is athletic and is going to be good. So Miss had his number though and fouled hard and sent him to the line. EC and X were shooting better which was good. This year has become rebuild part 2, but Dan had to have bodies to play. 3 schollies for next year are going to be a big indicator going forward. The juco seems a filler at best. We need top talent freshman for next year. I'll hold my thoughts until I see what we have for next year. We need three players like Martin and EC to keep this going.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Still a whiner, but he was a bigger crybaby.
My point was/is that Pitino and Boeheim aren't incessant anymore. Coach Hurley is.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

He complains about everything...so when he really does have a beef nobody listens. At this point he's all show and no go.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

rodfromcranston wrote:They got it to two, and Hurley put Biruta and Reischel in for Martin and TJ.
BIG mistake!
Rod you are absolutely 100% on the mark with the substitution thing. My son and I went nuts when he did it. first time all year Munford gets going and he gets taken out?????
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

They blew a winnable game, but on the bright side they are definitely communicating better on the offensive side, with some nice passing and aggressive cutting to the hoop. That being said there is no excuse for some of the defensive lapses in the late going. I still have to say I saw improvement versus earlier in the season. We need a shooter!!
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

And when they got it to two, TJ and Hassan come out. Are you kidding me?!?!?! The game ended right there.
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

Roz wrote:They blew a winnable game, but righteous bright side they are definitely communicating better on the offensive side, with some nice passing and aggressive cutting to the hoop. That being said there is no excuse for some of the defensive lapses in the late going. I still have to say I saw improvement versus earlier in the season. We need a shooter!!
I agree...finally some positivity. They are definitely improving. Yes team is not where some thought it would be at this point of the season but they are slowly getting better and that's all we can ask for...just wished it would happen a little faster!
Common sense is not common.
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

It is weird that it seems the coaching staff still hasn't figured out their best combo of players.
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

And the interior defense, jeez. The kid on SoMiss, #24 (he should be playing football), was pushing Biruta all over the court like a twig. Hurley actually had to put TJ on him, and it worked. It's a pretty sad thing when a 6'3" kid can play better interior D than your starting PF. And O commits a foul every 3 minutes.