Game #1 - Maine - November 8th @ 7:30pm

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: Game #1 - Maine - November 8th @ 7:30pm

Unread post by bigappleram »

leaving nyc around 2pm for tomorrows game, luke let me know how the traffic up 95 is?? :)
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I tend to agree about the students. Its going to take some wins to start filling up the seats.
RIhoopz14
Kenny Green

Unread post by RIhoopz14 »

Is anyone seeing a point spread for this game, or is anyone's book taking this game? I'm super pumped for college basketball to start up and have seen some lines in other games I like already
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Seems like one of our Rhody fans on Twitter is saying it would be a miracle
if we won 20 games, and we're lucky to be .500.
Just because Dan is tamping down a little on the expectations, doesn't mean we're going
to turn into a pile of crap.
Geez, one lousy exhibition showing and some are ready to jump off the bandwagon?
Wow!
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

rodfromcranston wrote:Seems like one of our Rhody fans on Twitter is saying it would be a miracle
Just because Dan is tamping down a little on the expectations, doesn't mean we're going
Geez, one lousy exhibition showing and some are ready to jump off the bandwagon?
Wow!
What's his Twitter handle?
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Rhody Hoops.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Dan seems to be worried about his point guard play. Either, Powell or Minnis, or both, have to step up.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Poor PG play is the death of many teams.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Might have to move EC to the point later in this season, instead of waiting, if Powell or Minnis don't perform to expectations.

His ceiling is WAY higher than the other two.
zporiri
Steve Chubin

Unread post by zporiri »

in regards to the lack of students last week: the school did no advertising whatsoever for the game last week. one of the big reasons (IMO) as to why there was a huge crowd at rhody madness was because of the advertising the school did for it. i'm hoping for a big turnout tomorrow night despite the lack of showing during halloween weekend last weekend. the school has been advertising all over social media and the union-they have a huge banner on the outside of the union specifically for the game tomorrow night.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

zporiri wrote:in regards to the lack of students last week: the school did no advertising whatsoever for the game last week. one of the big reasons (IMO) as to why there was a huge crowd at rhody madness was because of the advertising the school did for it. i'm hoping for a big turnout tomorrow night despite the lack of showing during halloween weekend last weekend. the school has been advertising all over social media and the union-they have a huge banner on the outside of the union specifically for the game tomorrow night.
That and the free burgers...
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Who is ready for a real game??!! Dan is playing it like a politician, lower expectations and anything above that shows this team in a positive light. I hope we have a great turnout tomorrow night, anything under 5,000 anymore I'll be extremely disapointed with.
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

I am definitely ready for a real game. This is my last year at URI and to this point I have had nothing to look forward to in terms of sports. My favorite sport is football, but I came in knowing the struggles the team has. I came in freshman year expecting a basketball team that could compete for NCAA bids and was extremely disappointed. I'm not expecting a run in the tournament or anything like that (although I would not be mad), I just want a competitive team with a winning season that competes in postseason play!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Watch Dan start talking about this season as a bridge year. :)
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I haven't been able to find a spread for our game anywhere as well
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

I don't think there are line for American East games (may be a conference thing)
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

I truely beleive that EC should be thrown into the fire starting tommorow night at point but Dan has already said it's not going to happen. I just feel the sooner he gets adjusted the better of a chance we have of winning big games come conference time.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Tom98 wrote:I truely beleive that EC should be thrown into the fire starting tommorow night at point but Dan has already said it's not going to happen. I just feel the sooner he gets adjusted the better of a chance we have of winning big games come conference time.
It doesn't sound like Dan wants to play EC at the point at all this year. Dan says it's too much to ask. He just wants EC to learn the college game and not worry about running a team at this point of his young career.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Mathews is going to be called upon to run point minutes sometime this season, that's just inevitable. We're talking 30+ games, I'm sure he'll get a couple hundred minutes at the point for various reasons, but it sounds like they will take the approach PeeCee did with Dunn last season, get him on the floor in a position to help the team and himself have success, while integrating all/other aspects of the college game into his game. Blind prediction because its fun... 70% of E.C.'s minutes will be at the 2, 20% at the 1 and 10% at the 3..
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Game day!!!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Game day!
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

Anyone read the Projo this morning? Looks like we traded Matthews to Maine.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

NEW SEASON.. Let's Gooooooooo !

Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Backroads wrote:Anyone read the Projo this morning? Looks like we traded Matthews to Maine.
typographer's error .... I imagine after the ProJo's latest round of layoffs, the staff is getting pretty thin.
Slava Ukraini!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Backroads wrote:Anyone read the Projo this morning? Looks like we traded Matthews to Maine.

Ands we apparently got Shaun Lawton in exchange.
http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ ... w=ZW50aXR5

No pregame article in the Projo today for URI-Maine. Just a capsule summary with errors. PC got a pregame article on the front of the sports page AND game capsule summary. The Projo also put a small highlight blurb in their pregame article on the sports front page about where to find the Friars game on tv.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

What a disgrace!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Who reads the projo?

Ignore it, it'll go away.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

If you look at the writers who have left ProJo over the past several years,
you realize that there used to be talent over there, at one time.
Most of the former people now work for CSNE.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

EC can provide more benefit being primarily an off-guard so he can adjust to pace of college and score lots of points. He will, as others have said, get "time" at the point as situations dictate. He has never played point, remember.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

RF1 wrote:

No pregame article in the Projo today for URI-Maine. Just a capsule summary with errors. PC got a pregame article on the front of the sports page AND game capsule summary. The Projo also put a small highlight blurb in their pregame article on the sports front page about where to find the Friars game on tv.
KMac had a story on URI's season yesterday and one on PC today. Pretty even treatment actually.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

rodfromcranston wrote:Seems like one of our Rhody fans on Twitter is saying it would be a miracle
Wow!
Rod: I don't see a prediction from you on what their record will be ...
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

RF1 wrote:

I'm told that, upon request, the Urinal will send someone to your house to program the "reminder" feature to automatically go to the game. What a paper!
Ashcat
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Ashcat »

I suspect there are two reasons a for sale sign hasn’t popped up at 75 Fountain Street: 1) the legions of high-school athlete’s parents/relatives (myself formally included) that relish reading, in 8-point font, about their sons/daughters exploits on the field, court, pool or pitch in their particular RI Interscholastic Sport in the ‘Gametime' page and 2) The near extortion-like fees the BlowJo charges mourning family members to print an obituary. I’ll show my age. I remember when the Providence Journal was actually relevant, but that was back in the seventy’s.

Tonight begins our return to relevance. Let’s put Kingston back on the College Basketball map for good.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Iggy, I'm passing on the predictions, since I have no idea of what
ouir record will be.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

ATPTourFan wrote:EC can provide more benefit being primarily an off-guard so he can adjust to pace of college and score lots of points. He will, as others have said, get "time" at the point as situations dictate. He has never played point, remember.
I don't get this. If he is the answer long term at PG, throw him in there. If not, let him thrive at off guard for four years. These half measures rarely work. Especially in a year where the NCAAs might be a stretch. Let him learn on the job. I am OK with mistakes if it makes URI much better down the road. Plus, if there ever was an OOC schedule where you could withstand a few hiccups, this is it.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Gonebarongone wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:EC can provide more benefit being primarily an off-guard so he can adjust to pace of college and score lots of points. He will, as others have said, get "time" at the point as situations dictate. He has never played point, remember.
I don't get this. If he is the answer long term at PG, throw him in there. If not, let him thrive at off guard for four years. These half measures rarely work. Especially in a year where the NCAAs might be a stretch. Let him learn on the job. I am OK with mistakes if it makes URI much better down the road. Plus, if there ever was an OOC schedule where you could withstand a few hiccups, this is it.
My take- because coaching is about taking care of a player mentally as well. If Matthews had more experience at the point, then I'd be more inclined to agree with what you said.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Agree with GBG.
Let EC learn by the seat of his pants. If he's as
talented as advertised, then he'll get it.
He's got to be more talented than the other two, who don't
shoot well enough to keep the defense from sagging off them.
Xavier did it last year with their star freshman.
I think Dayton might do the same this year with Scoochy Smith.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

rodfromcranston wrote:Back in the old Yankee Conference days, Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont
were six wins over 20 points almost every year.
Once is a while, Maine or Vermont would have decent team and beat us on the road.
Vermont actually beat us at Keaney one year.
All in all they were slaughters.
We have to destroy all these lesser teams on our schedule to impress year end
tournament committees, should we become worthy of consideration.
One year at Orono Maine held the ball. (Historical note: there was no shot clock in college basketball before the 1980s.) Literally held it. Frank Keaney told his players to sit down and read the newspaper on the court while the clock was running.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:Agree with GBG.
Let EC learn by the seat of his pants. If he's as
talented as advertised, then he'll get it.
He's got to be more tlaneted than the other two, who don't
shoot well enough to keep the defense from sagging off them.
Xavier did it last year with their star freshman.
I think Dayton might do the same this year with Scoochy Smith.
First, glad to see Rod and GBG can agree on something.

Second, just going by what Dan has publicly said. I think he needs to, early on, challenge his more natural PG options to step up. If they just can't, then yeah EC will be forced to learn sooner than later.

EC is also likely to adapt to college hoop speed and defense sooner than average which will allow Dan to experiment with him at the point. It will also help for the team to get some good leads where Dan can afford to put EC at the point.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Wow. A game hasn't been played and Hurley's decisions being questioned. In Hurley we (sometimes) trust!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I think that's why this is a discussion board.
If Powell and Minnis can't get it done, do you
really think Dan's going to say, "Well, I said it to the
media, so I can't change my mind, for the good of the team."?
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

I just think that sometimes coaches tend to be too conservative with these decisions. We see NFL teams let it rip with rookie QBs now. These aren't going from running the wishbone to playing a pro style offense anymore and need to sit for two years. Similarly, freshman PGs thrive all over. Talent plays. These kids play high level competitive ball now from diapers. EC has had the ball in his hands a lot, I would guess against really good players and played thousands of minutes as a quasi PG. The more minutes and possessions EC has the ball, in my mind, the better. Now, I say this sort of sight unseen. I don't get to see practice. Maybe it's just not his game. Who knows? My point is that if the plan is at some point to get him into the role, I would err on the side of right now.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Iggy1979 wrote:
RF1 wrote:

KMac had a story on URI's season yesterday and one on PC today. Pretty even treatment actually.
Actually, the ProJo had PC's season preview on Wednesday, URI's yesterday, and *another* "woe is me" story about PC today. Granted, it's probably more newsworthy since BC is a better opponent for PC than Maine is for us. Still, I would have like to have seen Dan's comments about Biruta's condition, the challenges (if any) that Maine poses, etc. I guess Paul Kenyon is no longer available to fill in the gaps.
Slava Ukraini!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

the only thing i have consistently heard said by DH is that ECs position at the next level is as a scoring point guard....that does not mean he has to be our starting PG now, next year or the one after. Victor Oladipo is being turned into an NBA PG as we speak, after playing the 3 at Indiana for 4 years. in hurley i still trust, especially when it comes to PGs. i dont believe DH wants to sit through another year of growing pains, my belief is he wants to be as competitive as possible right out of the gate and win games. if he feels that is more likely with EC off the ball i trust that opinion, as others have said he has never logged a minute at PG in a competitive basketball game. this isnt like tyson or silk who were true PGs and were handed the keys from day 1. nevermind the fact that he figures to be our 3rd most capable scorer (behind X and Gil) and is likely more valuable in the set offense and in transition without being the facilitator.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

At the same time, Hurley points out that traditional positions
are not always the case in today's game.
I never heard him say EC would never play point here. That's the exact reason
he came here.
Also, he has played PG in AAU games.
Also, Hurley often compares EC to Semaj Christon of Xavier.
Christon has been a PG only from day one at X.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ace wrote:
Interesting that it will be free. Wish I had this info before I already subscribed!
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I have high hopes--not expectations for our team.

I dont like setting the bar low. I also won't bemoan falling short of a great season.

I think that is why people are touting a 16 win season, they fear backlash or something. A less than 17 win season is nothing to be proud of.

Hedging is awful though, pretty sure we just endured 12 years of hedging. Actually, I would like to see some good hedging on the ball screens!! on the court hedging! not off!
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

adam914 wrote:
ace wrote:
Interesting that it will be free. Wish I had this info before I already subscribed!
Procrastination wins again!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Gonebarongone wrote:I just think that sometimes coaches tend to be too conservative with these decisions. We see NFL teams let it rip with rookie QBs now. These aren't going from running the wishbone to playing a pro style offense anymore and need to sit for two years. Similarly, freshman PGs thrive all over. Talent plays. These kids play high level competitive ball now from diapers. EC has had the ball in his hands a lot, I would guess against really good players and played thousands of minutes as a quasi PG. The more minutes and possessions EC has the ball, in my mind, the better. Now, I say this sort of sight unseen. I don't get to see practice. Maybe it's just not his game. Who knows? My point is that if the plan is at some point to get him into the role, I would err on the side of right now.
GBG, you aren't comparing the NFL Rookie QB situation this year to EC Matthews, were you? I hope not, because name me one of those NFL rookie QBs who weren't playing QB in college. It's one thing to let someone adjust to a new pace and quality of play, but it's another to also adjust to a NEW POSITION at the SAME TIME.