The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by RF1 »

I hope UConn has to pay every cent it promised Kevin Ollie in its contract with him. Their actions toward an alumnus and winning coach of an NCAA championship are truly dishonorable.

If money comes out of the men's basketball budget to pay for the buyout and the team has to fly coach to places such as Tulsa, Wichita, Memphis, Dallas, Houston, New Orleans, Tampa, Orlando, and Greenville, so be it. I won't lose any sleep as the program will deserve such a fate.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

OLLIE Contract Dispute

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

IMHO Hurley made a huge mistake with this move....

Yuk and getting yukier by the minute.

I like where we are at with Coach Cox, I think we’re gonna roll.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

what's wrong with the Ollie contract dispute having its own thread?
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Just seemed unnecessary to me. But if you guys feel super strongly about it we can give it its own thread. I'm interested in the story but don't see the need for a separate topic for it. If enough people tell me they care, I'll move it back out. We've been discussing it in this thread for 3 months.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

hrstrat57 wrote:IMHO Hurley made a huge mistake with this move....

Yuk and getting yukier by the minute.

I like where we are at with Coach Cox, I think we’re gonna roll.

Hurley just has to remember to always have his back to the wall to avoid getting stabbed. Be it the UConn President, AD Dave Benedict, or Calhoun - not one of them can be trusted based on their past actions. They all have shown a propensity to eventually turn on their coach. I myself would not want to be part of such a workplace.
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

My vote is to keep it here. We don’t need a new thread just for that.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

sorry TP.. i didn't read the post was already made about OLLIE

my bad.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Do not apologize. You didn't do anything wrong. Appreciate you sharing it.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I think UCONN will settle with Ollie prior to an arbitration hearing. UCONN would lose this case in arbitration. It is clear they really fired him for two losing seasons and not for the pending NCAA investigation on inappropriate summer workouts as they stated in their letter. They also didn’t follow due process so Ollie would sue if he didn’t win the arbitration. This isn’t going away for UCONN for at least a year if they don’t settle with Ollie. It is going to cost many millions.
“We will be good when we are good.”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice job UConn way to treat one of the players who helped create the so called UConn brand and coached you to a National title

I do like DH but I want UConn to lose lose and lose !!
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

UConn never loses......It's the taxpayers of Connecticut that lose..........Same B.S. with the football team. They had to pay off Bob Diaco as well.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

CTRamfan wrote:UConn never loses......It's the taxpayers of Connecticut that lose..........Same B.S. with the football team. They had to pay off Bob Diaco as well.
I think they're on the hook for part of Bobby Bonilla's contract, too?
Beachcomber
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Beachcomber »

Someone above questioned what kind of lawyers Ollie has. The real question, after reading the news articles about the claim, might actually be what kind of lawyers UCONN has. If UCONN violated his due process by failing to afford Ollie is Loudermill rights (written pre-termination due process, which provides notice and an opportunity to be heard), they might want to keep their checkbook handy. If that happened, it is a violation of a cardinal rule of public sector employment law, and in addition to any other contract claims he might have. Prediction: UCONNN's gonna pay and gonna pay big, because employers who violate due process can't allow these cases to go to arbitration or trial. They settle because they are going to lose.

Note how theUCONN professors jumped aboard to support Ollie - because, to paraphrase Lord Longshanks, that could be my head in a basket next. A settlement is very likely.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I think a settlement has been likely from the beginning, but then I wonder if the state school...that likely has significant union dealings...would REALLY do what they're trying to do, without a covered position? Hopefully, Ollie din doo nuffin too egregious and gets paid big time. Gonna prob be rough for him to land another gig like that after these last couple years...
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

I'm sure DH is getting an eyeful as to how they operate in Storrs.........He won't be in Benedict's office, asking for whatever ?????
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I think Ollie still has NBA connections so he could probably get something there and with his UConn $ he will be fone
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

UCH21377 wrote:I think Ollie still has NBA connections so he could probably get something there and with his UConn $ he will be fone
Ollie doesn’t need to work again. He is set for life. He had a 13 year pro career making millions. At the end of his NBA career he made $1 million/year. He became HC in 2012. He got a new contract starting in June 2014 at $3 million/year followed by another new contract June 2016 that extended him three more years (until May 2022) at $3 million/year. Five years as HC and three of them were at $3 million/year.
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

Rhody83 wrote:
UCH21377 wrote:I think Ollie still has NBA connections so he could probably get something there and with his UConn $ he will be fone
Ollie doesn’t need to work again. He is set for life. He had a 13 year pro career making millions. At the end of his NBA career he made $1 million/year. He became HC in 2012. He got a new contract starting in June 2014 at $3 million/year followed by another new contract June 2016 that extended him three more years (until May 2022) at $3 million/year. Five years as HC and three of them were at $3 million/year.
Sometimes it ain't all about the money, B.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Someone as competitive as a professional athlete has to be probably doesn’t want his last job to be one he failed at. Me? I’m probably cool to ride out an early forced retirement with plenty of cash.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

ace wrote:Someone as competitive as a professional athlete has to be probably doesn’t want his last job to be one he failed at. Me? I’m probably cool to ride out an early forced retirement with plenty of cash.
I have met and talked to Ollie a few times outside of a basketball environment. He is a relatively quiet person. He just went thru a divorce as well. I am guessing he could use a break from the public eye. If he wants the grind of coaching again (and all the travel), I could see him as an NBA assistant. He went directly from 15 years in the pros (2 CBA & 13 NBA) to coaching for 7 years (2 Asst & 5 HC).
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I feel super bad for UConn on this one. (sarcasm font)
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

the_one_mike wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:
Sometimes it ain't all about the money, B.
That’s true it’s always all about the $.

GO RHODY!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I also can see Ollie as an NBA assistant, I don't really see him as a college head coach again
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

F UConn, I’m still blown away Hurley calls that crap hole his “dream job”. It could be a shit show there for the next couple years, possibly beyond, not going to be a fun environment to build a program. Dream crappy, Danny does.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I'll give DH an 18-14 record his 1st year there, no postseason.....5th or 6th in conference.

Maybe that's optimistic, maybe not.

There is some talent there...more than he had here his first year, that's for sure.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I'm not going to predict a record, but I think people predicting it is going to go badly there are going more off emotion than reason. I think it is much more likely that he does really well there than not. I like Dan and I'd be happy for him on a personal level, but I hate UConn so I also wouldn't mind seeing them fail. I just don't think that is very likely.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

rambone 78 wrote:I'll give DH an 18-14 record his 1st year there, no postseason.....5th or 6th in conference.

Maybe that's optimistic, maybe not.

There is some talent there...more than he had here his first year, that's for sure.
I agree that the outlook is bleak. When I think that I like to give him credit. He as at an institution where there are no excuses. Very soon he will be facing off with top coaches/programs and be expected to be right there with them and beat them. I respect the desire to enter the race. I just personally don't think he measures up.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:I'm not going to predict a record, but I think people predicting it is going to go badly there are going more off emotion than reason. I think it is much more likely that he does really well there than not. I like Dan and I'd be happy for him on a personal level, but I hate UConn so I also wouldn't mind seeing them fail. I just don't think that is very likely.
Success there is not measured the same as success here. At UConn he will be on an aircraft carrier playing Kansas in November. In March he will HAVE to make a Final Four to be safe.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

DH still has some things to learn. Like how to play with a lead late in games.

If that issue continues at UConn, those folks won't exactly be too thrilled with their new coach.

How much did UConn go for the name, and not the game? We'll find out.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Seawrightspostgame wrote:
TruePoint wrote:I'm not going to predict a record, but I think people predicting it is going to go badly there are going more off emotion than reason. I think it is much more likely that he does really well there than not. I like Dan and I'd be happy for him on a personal level, but I hate UConn so I also wouldn't mind seeing them fail. I just don't think that is very likely.
Success there is not measured the same as success here. At UConn he will be on an aircraft carrier playing Kansas in November. In March he will HAVE to make a Final Four to be safe.
I understand what the situation is and I think he will be fine.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I expect Dan, at UConn, to replicate and perhaps even slightly better the success he had at URI. That however will not be enough to please Husky fans. They will want numerous final fours and NCAA championships.
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Did anyone on this board feel bad for Wagner when we signed Hurley? I don't think so. Then why hold any animosity towards UCONN for doing the same thing. If Hurley went to Pittsburgh or remained here, Kevin Ollie's situation would not even be discussed. As Tessia said to Tom Hagen in the Godfather as he is about to be murdered,"Tell Mike it was only business".
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:I expect Dan, at UConn, to replicate and perhaps even slightly better the success he had at URI. That however will not be enough to please Husky fans. They will want numerous final fours and NCAA championships.
I'm pretty sure that aligns with his expectations as well. If it didn't he wouldn't be there.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

UConn fans are spoiled, bottom line.

They caught lightning in a bottle with at least 2 of those championships, with amazing PG play at the right time.

If they think they're getting another coach K or Wooden, they could be a little disappointed. Or Calhoun for that matter.

Dan over time could be very good, but to expect what those guys did is unrealistic.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Data suggests Dan is going to win there, whether it is to the level the fans there expect remains to be seen....but he has won at St Benedict, won at Wagner and won at URI...that's not going to suddenly end with the most resources and support institutionally he has ever enjoyed. It's all about whether he can get to FFs as that is what they will expect.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

There is a difference. He is entering the finite world of the elite. In hs basketball there is room to excel. At Wagner it's a joke to even point to that, but obviously there was room to grow in that league. There was lots of room to grow at URI in the A10. Specifically, in the vacuum of the best coaches leaving and some other traditional top teams having bad runs. Undoubtedly, there is room at the top in the AAC. Problem is for UConn is that they don't care about the AAC. It is all about the tournament and that is where you run into a Duke zone of tall guys, which happens to be a deadly combo of all your weaknesses.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

If Dan is able to get the "horses" he will win at Uconn. If not he won't. It really is that simple.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Seawrightspostgame wrote:There is a difference. He is entering the finite world of the elite. In hs basketball there is room to excel. At Wagner it's a joke to even point to that, but obviously there was room to grow in that league. There was lots of room to grow at URI in the A10. Specifically, in the vacuum of the best coaches leaving and some other traditional top teams having bad runs. Undoubtedly, there is room at the top in the AAC. Problem is for UConn is that they don't care about the AAC. It is all about the tournament and that is where you run into a Duke zone of tall guys, which happens to be a deadly combo of all your weaknesses.
Yes obvi there is a difference, but you are looking for pedigree and track record and he brings that. If he got multiple 4 star recruits to come to rhody is it that big of a leap to think he will get 4-5 star recruits to go to a Uconn. I wouldn’t bet against him.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

bigappleram wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:There is a difference. He is entering the finite world of the elite. In hs basketball there is room to excel. At Wagner it's a joke to even point to that, but obviously there was room to grow in that league. There was lots of room to grow at URI in the A10. Specifically, in the vacuum of the best coaches leaving and some other traditional top teams having bad runs. Undoubtedly, there is room at the top in the AAC. Problem is for UConn is that they don't care about the AAC. It is all about the tournament and that is where you run into a Duke zone of tall guys, which happens to be a deadly combo of all your weaknesses.
Yes obvi there is a difference, but you are looking for pedigree and track record and he brings that. If he got multiple 4 star recruits to come to rhody is it that big of a leap to think he will get 4-5 star recruits to go to a Uconn. I wouldn’t bet against him.

You are assuming that 4-5 star kids who have been fawned upon for most of their lives will want to play for a taskmaster like Dan Hurley. He may be far more intense than they would want. They will have no shortage of suitors and could decide to go elsewhere.

The times are different than just a decade ago. UConn is no longer the UConn of those days being in the AAC. Many of the top recruits of today are far different character wise than they were ten years ago. While I think Dan will find some success at UConn (maybe however not at the level of national titles), I do not think there are any givens. Assumptions may not necessarily play out as times are different. Only the future will tell.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

RF1 wrote:
You are assuming that 4-5 star kids who have been fawned upon for most of their lives will want to play for a taskmaster like Dan Hurley. He may be far more intense than they would want. They will have no shortage of suitors and could decide to go elsewhere.
We'll find out very quickly -- This was a list someone had compiled of UCONN mentioned targets in an updated Top 150 list:

4 Cole Anthony
6 Precious Achiuwa
9 Jalen Lecque
20 Chol Marial
23 Aidan Igiehon
31 Kofi Cockburn
62 Lester Quinones
71 Jaiden Delaire
78 Anthony Harris
79 Joe Girard
92 Akok Akok
95 James Bouknight
97 Maxwell Lorca-LLoyd
106 Tre Mitchell
116 Sherif Kenney
138 Paul Mulcahy
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
RF1 wrote:
We'll find out very quickly -- This was a list someone had compiled of UCONN mentioned targets in an updated Top 150 list:

4 Cole Anthony
6 Precious Achiuwa
9 Jalen Lecque
20 Chol Marial
23 Aidan Igiehon
31 Kofi Cockburn
62 Lester Quinones
71 Jaiden Delaire
78 Anthony Harris
79 Joe Girard
92 Akok Akok
95 James Bouknight
97 Maxwell Lorca-LLoyd
106 Tre Mitchell
116 Sherif Kenney
138 Paul Mulcahy
We offered 7 of those.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I do think DH gets it done in time at UConn

I think by year 3 they are top 3 in conf along with Cinci and Wichita

I don't see him getting farther than a sweet 16 though so we will see if that's good enough for those spoiled Leg Humpers ???
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote:
bigappleram wrote:

The times are different than just a decade ago. UConn is no longer the UConn of those days being in the AAC. Many of the top recruits of today are far different character wise than they were ten years ago. While I think Dan will find some success at UConn (maybe however not at the level of national titles), I do not think there are any givens. Assumptions may not necessarily play out as times are different. Only the future will tell.
Do you not think guys like Stan, Jared, EC weren’t fawned over. They seemed to enjoy playing for Dan. Do you think Coach K is a walk in the park? Did Bobby Knight have trouble attracting talent? Dan isn’t the first coach to be passionate intense and a taskmaster.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

bigappleram wrote:
RF1 wrote:
bigappleram wrote:

Do you not think guys like Stan, Jared, EC weren’t fawned over. They seemed to enjoy playing for Dan. Do you think Coach K is a walk in the park? Did Bobby Knight have trouble attracting talent? Dan isn’t the first coach to be passionate intense and a taskmaster.
I think Dan will get 4 star guys. I think the team will be talented. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he got top 20 5 star guys to play there. I don't think he can out coach Final Four competition. But maybe I'm wrong.

Maybe 6 years from now we are watching Dan talk about the Uconn culture being in a lull when he found it. The program being in the dumps because of APR and whatever else. Some top player takes a chance on them and Dan is his father. Then he resurrected the huskies and is their savior. Then he goes and coaches like the Brooklyn Nets.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I doubt we'll ever see DH coaching in the pros....

One thing Ollie did well at UConn was he dramatically improved the academics there...I think they scored 1000 the last 2 years...even a little better than we did.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

reef wrote:I do think DH gets it done in time at UConn

I think by year 3 they are top 3 in conf along with Cinci and Wichita

I don't see him getting farther than a sweet 16 though so we will see if that's good enough for those spoiled Leg Humpers ???
Don’t forget about Memphis with Penny. He will out recruit Dan. I think UCONN could be fighting with Houston for the 4th & 5th spot.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

You guys are crazy. I’ll give it two years - next year is going to be tough and the following year he will have an entirely new team - and in the third year they will be back as an easy tournament team. After that they will be a wagon. Top 10 program. I hate them but I think it’s a no-brainer. Don’t even think there is a lot of drama to it.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

TruePoint wrote:You guys are crazy. I’ll give it two years - next year is going to be tough and the following year he will have an entirely new team - and in the third year they will be back as an easy tournament team. After that they will be a wagon. Top 10 program. I hate them but I think it’s a no-brainer. Don’t even think there is a lot of drama to it.
What part is the no-brainer? I don’t know what a wagon means. If you are saying that UCONN will consistently be in the Top 10 (Top 10 program) and that is a no-brainer, I think you are off.

You also said you would give it two years but then state they will be back in the tournament the third year. I didn’t read post stating UCONN wouldn’t be back in the tournament. I might have missed them.