The Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: The Coaching Carousel

Unread post by TruePoint »

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... g-carousel

Lots of things of interest in here: Dan to UConn as the best hire, also touches on our promotion of David Cox, the Pitt situation, Bob Wash's firing at Maine, Joe Dooley's situation, plus a Jim Harrick mention. No mention of La Salle's hiring Ashley Howard, which might just be because of the timing (likely written prior to the announcement), but I think that is a really good hire, too.

Here is the blurb on URI/Cox:
Next man up
Two athletic directors opted to promote assistants after interviewing outside candidates: Xavier athletic director Greg Christopher went with Travis Steele, who has been Mack's right-hand man over the past nine years. Rhode Island athletic director Thorr Bjorn decided to elevate David Cox, who has been on Hurley's staff and also recruited the majority of the current players and incoming recruits. Three more lower-profile programs who also hired from within were San Diego with Sam Scholl, Florida Gulf Coast with Michael Fly and Nicholls with Austin Claunch. If it's not broke, why change it?
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Interesting that DH got best hire over Mack

They will love DH in Storrs if he gets them back to prominence. This will be interesting to watch
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

DC_Rams wrote:One more try....anyone know Ashley Howard’s contract details? Just trying to compare....
La Salle is a private university, so they probably don't have to release anything about his compensation. URI didn't really have to the day of the hire either, but they probably didn't see a reason to hold it back, since it probably would have been the subject of a freedom of information act request if they did try that.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I love Shaheen Holloway getting the St. Peter’s job to start his head coaching career. It seems like he’s been due to get something, and this seems like a good fit.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

NEPOTISM
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Jimmy patsos and I don't care
Jimmy patsos and I don't caaaaaare
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Brock Erickson is the associate head coach for Grasso at Bryant. Isn't he a former Rams a long time ago who transferred to Assumption?
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

giovanni wrote:Brock Erickson is the associate head coach for Grasso at Bryant. Isn't he a former Rams a long time ago who transferred to Assumption?
Yeah, he’s the one. He’s been around. Most recently Kent State and before then Iona.
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Slick Rick should sit out again for one more season then he probably gets a middle of the road P5 job the next year
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Siena at one time had been rumored as an addition to the BE.
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Let Rick build Siena up, then replace Fordham with them in the A10.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

They have a large fan base with a big arena.....in the Albany area which would be fine.

They are a private Jesuit school which fits the BE profile though.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

How could a Catholic school justify hiring the likes of Little Ricky?

OTOH, there are other Catholic schools that have always ignored their Catholic values when necessary.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:How could a Catholic school justify hiring the likes of Little Ricky?

OTOH, there are other Catholic schools that have always ignored their Catholic values when necessary.
I'd say their following the Catholic values just fine...anything is excusable if you write a big enough check
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
Rhode_Island_Red wrote:How could a Catholic school justify hiring the likes of Little Ricky?

I'd say their following the Catholic values just fine...anything is excusable if you write a big enough check
Then you don’t know what true Catholic values are.
Slava Ukraini!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Siena would have ZERO credibility if it were to hire Pitino. It just parted ways with Patsos over his supposed bad behavior. How could it then morally justify hiring a coach that had a national championship vacated, supplied hookers to potential players and their dads, had sex with the wife of a staff member that became public knowledge, and is now accused of orchestrating payments to recruits? At at supposed Catholic school? Get real.

I believe that Pitino and his supporters are behind a lot of these stories linking him to jobs at places like URI and Siena. There may be some informal talks with rogue boosters but I don't think the schools have any serious interest. This is just a campaign by the Pitino camp to gauge interest/public support and keep his name relevant in the coach hiring world.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I think Siena is exactly the type of place that should take a shot with Pitino. They are irrelevant now and will be irrelevant again when he leaves them in shambles after his time there, so might as well go for it.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

adam914 wrote:I think Siena is exactly the type of place that should take a shot with Pitino. They are irrelevant now and will be irrelevant again when he leaves them in shambles after his time there, so might as well go for it.

Rick Pitino leading a team called the SAINTS? I can just envision it now - the promotional photo campaign could have Pitino seated at a restaurant table (restaurant tables have played a big part in his life) in a scene patterned after DaVinci's Last Supper. Rick will be surrounded by several saints along with a group of hookers and Karen Sypher. Everyone will be wearing ADIDAS gear and there will be loads of cash out on the table.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

If I was a Siena fan I would want that hire they are irrelevant anyway
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

There are a number of media outlets that quote Pitino as having no interest in thee Siena job.
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

I wonder if Xavier's Luke Murray ever came up in the discussion for any of these head coaching openings? Have to think he will get a shot at some point.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

CTRamfan wrote:There are a number of media outlets that quote Pitino as having no interest in thee Siena job.
Don't they have hookers in Loudonville?
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Not Mike Powell wrote:I wonder if Xavier's Luke Murray ever came up in the discussion for any of these head coaching openings? Have to think he will get a shot at some point.
Louisville’s Luke Murray
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Dan Hurley sits down with Andy Katz in Storrs.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/mar ... 0409050431

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Dan was on Rothstein’s pod yesterday as well.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

I liked the interview, but I'm curious as to Dan's argument that the AAC is a "high major" conference now? Because they had a 2 seed in the NCAA tournament?

Is the WCC a high major conference because of Gonzaga?

I get that it's his dream job, but acting like the AAC is that much better of a conference than the A10 is wild. The very top of the AAC is better than the very top of the A10. The A10's bottom is way worse, but the upper tier/middle goes either way depending on the year.

I would love if the AAC/A10 did an ACC/B1G challenge every year.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

One thing that is clear re: DH and his feelings about UConn. It was informed from personal experience, most of which is very dated - his time as a player (25 years ago) and his time as a high school coach (10 years ago). He often recalls the brand of Uconn in the context of his playing days in the 90s and as a high school coach seeing what the Uconn brand meant to prospects. I do not doubt he will succeed there, and maybe even return them to past glory, but he has romanticized their place in basketball lore based largely on a time of the past where external factors were different. Uconn was in the best conference in basketball, and had 1 of the best 5 coaches of all time leading them. He is banking on those external factors not being the driving force behind their success, data thus far suggests otherwise.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

UConn was built on the back of one guy. Always beware of those jobs. It's still in a cow field in Connecticut. It still has enough of a brand and a coach to be a tournament regular but I see it more as a Wichita State type gig now. Nothing wrong with that just far from a blue blood.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Blue Man wrote:I liked the interview, but I'm curious as to Dan's argument that the AAC is a "high major" conference now? Because they had a 2 seed in the NCAA tournament?

I get that it's his dream job, but acting like the AAC is that much better of a conference than the A10 is wild. The very top of the AAC is better than the very top of the A10. The A10's bottom is way worse, but the upper tier/middle goes either way depending on the year.

someone should let Dan know that since the AAC was created, its the A10 that has more tournament appearances and credits.
---
---
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Da_Process_Survivor wrote:
Blue Man wrote:I liked the interview, but I'm curious as to Dan's argument that the AAC is a "high major" conference now? Because they had a 2 seed in the NCAA tournament?

someone should let Dan know that since the AAC was created, its the A10 that has more tournament appearances and credits.
I think people need to just forget all the coach speak that he dropped on us. He left his prep job when a college opened. He left Wagner when a better spot came along. And he left URI for a ton of dough at a better basketball school. He'll leave UConn if a better gig comes along. This is what coaches do.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote:They have a large fan base with a big arena.....in the Albany area which would be fine.

They are a private Jesuit school which fits the BE profile though.

Siena is not Jesuit. It is run by the Franciscans, the same order that administers St Bonaventure.

There are only four Jesuit Order institutons in the Big East - Creighton, Georgetown, Marquette, and Xavier. Seton Hall is run by the Diocese of Newark and has no affiliation to an order. As for the other Catholic schools, St John's and Depaul are Vincentian, Providence is Dominican, and Villanova is Augustinian.
Last edited by RF1 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RF1, I saw that yesterday...my bad. Was going to correct it, but you beat me to it.

Still, they would be a better fit for the BE. But they are saying now that there could be NCAA violations related to Patsos tenure there.
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

rambone 78 wrote:RF1, I saw that yesterday...my bad. Was going to correct it, but you beat me to it.

Still, they would be a better fit for the BE. But they are saying now that there could be NCAA violations related to Patsos tenure there.
except they lack the history, current success, major market, and attendance
---
---
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Right except for the attendance part...although they weren't drawing as well lately due to the lack of on court success.

Patsos was a failure. They hung onto him too long....sounds familiar.....
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The new coach in Storrs should be made aware of the facts since he appears ignorant of them. The A-10 has sent more teams to the NCAA Tournament and earned more units than the AAC since it was formed five years ago.

By bids per year and earned NCAA units:
NCAA BIDS AND UNITS BY LEAGUE SINCE 2014
2014 AAC: 4 (11 units*) / A-10: 6 (10 units)
2015 AAC: 2 (3 units) / A-10: 3 (5 units)
2016 AAC: 4 (5 units) / A-10: 3 (5 units)
2017 AAC: 2 (3 units) / A-10: 3 (4 units)
2018 AAC: 3 (5 units) / A-10: 3 (5 units)
TOTAL AAC: 15 (27 units) / A-10: 18 (29 units)

*UConn NCAA Championship run

PERCEPTION IS NOT REALITY
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

rambone 78 wrote:Right except for the attendance part...although they weren't drawing as well lately due to the lack of on court success.

Patsos was a failure. They hung onto him too long....sounds familiar.....
not really though. Except for a 3 year spike where they topped 7k per game, they've averaged between 5800 and 6200 per game since 1998
---
---
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Pitino would get that up quite a bit.....but that isn't happening either.

Still 6000 average ain't bad for that level.....would be top third in our conference!

Just a tad more than Fordham ha ha
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

rambone 78 wrote:Pitino would get that up quite a bit.....but that isn't happening either.

Still 6000 average ain't bad for that level.....would be top third in our conference!

Just a tad more than Fordham ha ha
oh, no doubt. wasn't trying to put them down for it, just saying its not going to get the Big East's attention
---
---
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

It begins.

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am rooting for a long drawn out messy affair with UConn looking very very bad
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I'm, admittedly, kind of with reef here. Good luck to Coach Hurley and all that, but UConn ought to feel the burn on this one, at least somewhat.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

reef wrote:I am rooting for a long drawn out messy affair with UConn looking very very bad
Me too! And not just because of what went down the last few weeks, although that just adds to it. They've always been enemy #2 on my list.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

SmartyBarrett wrote:It begins.

Why kind of moron lawyer did Ollie hire? The 14th amendment? Lol. UConn either violated his contract or did not. If you remember the old BC coach Jim O"Brien won a big settlement from Ohio State because they fired him outside the way it was supposed to be handled in his contract. I would be stunned if UConn didn't have 400 lawyers look over the language and bless exactly how it went down.
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

TV outlets in CT. are all reporting his complaint is a lack of due process. His contract required it......It seems true to form, CT. solves its problems by spending money. They are paying their new coach $52,000/week, and Ollie $42,000/week while suspended.
.....If I had to guess, with no inside info, that Hurley's hiring did not follow the story line given to the public.
.....It also seems plausible that the URI administration was not surprised by the turn of events. [re: Hurley]
.....Hurley's contract was renegotiated at least twice after his initial one. The URI AD must have felt pressure regularly, at each season's end. The coach produced good results, but the AD was regularly pressured to produce program enhancements, comparable to "the big boys". Although UConn's is not a SEC, or ACC school, their athletic budgeting is many times URI.
.....My take - He was wooed, saw the bright lights, and fell in love.