Game #22, Senior Night: Rams v Dayton Flyers, Tuesday Feb 16, 7pm CBSSN

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Game #22, Senior Night: Rams v Dayton Flyers, Tuesday Feb 16, 7pm CBSSN

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 3 years ago I am probably stating the obvious, but in my opinion, this is the most wide open A10 tourney I can remember. There is no legit #1 seed or favorite. Every top seed can easily lose their first game. Over half the league can win it.
Well see how they look over the next week (play Dayton, VCU and Richmond), but SLU is legit. They got screwed with a month long covid pause which led to a few bad losses coming off of it too
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

URI2006_Andy wrote: 3 years ago
UCH21377 wrote: 3 years ago Just when I thought all was lost they came back. Kudos to them all. I think Martin should be in the core group of the rotation. He's the one guy you see on the floor; fighting his butt off. I like him at the four as others have stated above. Who cares if he scores we need the rest of what he brings. Harris had his cringe worthy moments but he helped for the most part. Obviously Fatts Shep Mitchell and Ish were outstanding.

What was the score when Cox got his 'T'? I was happy to see him get that; I think he needs to let his hair down a little more. The players responded.
In 2017, I believe Berry and Langevine both were in the starting lineup to begin the year. Then, Stan replaced Cyril and the rest is history. The 4-guard lineup just works better.

Martin is not Stan at this point but having a flexible PF is more valuable than height in the modern era. Especially on defense. It’s a huge advantage to have a guy who can defend a guard off a pick and roll and can also body a low post guy.

Also, we know Martin at the PF can work even when he can’t hit a shot. Imagine, if he starts hitting a few 3s.
Unless you play Marvin Bagley and Wendell Carter Jr...
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

KingstonLane wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody_NYCT wrote: 3 years ago I am probably stating the obvious, but in my opinion, this is the most wide open A10 tourney I can remember. There is no legit #1 seed or favorite. Every top seed can easily lose their first game. Over half the league can win it.
Well see how they look over the next week (play Dayton, VCU and Richmond), but SLU is legit. They got screwed with a month long covid pause which led to a few bad losses coming off of it too
I also think STL is the best of the bunch
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Where can a replay of the game be found?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 years ago
phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago Nothing would make me happier than drawing VCU first round. We have owned them in recent history. We own so much real estate in their heads the game might be over before tip off.
If we were the 8 seed, we would play the 9 seed Thursday for the right to play the 1 seed on Friday.
Can we....skip the 8/9 game Thursday and instead, just play the 1 seed on Friday?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
phipsiGD'11 wrote: 3 years ago Nothing would make me happier than drawing VCU first round. We have owned them in recent history. We own so much real estate in their heads the game might be over before tip off.
If we were the 8 seed, we would play the 9 seed Thursday for the right to play the 1 seed on Friday.
Can we....skip the 8/9 game Thursday and instead, just play the 1 seed on Friday?
Possibly if the opponent has Covid issues
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

One of my biggest take aways from this win aside from Ish's breakout game is that we only committed 9 turnovers in a 2 OT game. We also outrebounded a bigger Dayton team and had 8 steals. If we can keep this trend going it may makeup for some of our other lapses and woes.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

URI_05 wrote: 3 years ago It’s almost comical watching the Cox army come out to dunk in everyone after a 2pt double OT win when we were favored by 3 to remain under .500, yikes.

Do you think they know they look ridiculous?
The same thing happened under Baron. Most of them are tied to the coach and will be gone when he's gone, just like under Baron as well
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago One of my biggest take aways from this win aside from Ish's breakout game is that we only committed 9 turnovers in a 2 OT game. We also outrebounded a bigger team Dayton team and had 8 steals. If we can keep this trend going it may makeup for some of our other lapses and woes.
Carey has had big problems with TOs and he was benched, only played 3 minutes vs SLU so this move will continue to result in fewer TOs
Betrand has also had TO issues and he lost his starting spot to Leggett and his minutes are dropping. Will also result in fewer TOs moving forward

Sheppard, Russell and Leggett played 145 minutes between them only missing 5 minutes of playing time. This improved familiarity, consistency and fewer TOs.

Rocket Surgery this is not. Good Coaching moves with Leggett finally going in as a starter, increasing his minutes a lot and moving the high turnover guys out of the rotation.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago

Ignore the fickle, crybaby, fair weather fans. They are here for the long run.
Says the biggest fraud on here
DC isn’t a fraud, he’s pretty transparent with his affinity for our HC. He has a dog in the race but who cares, through the years we have always had posters with a tie to the HC on here. They occasionally bring insider intel and info we wouldn’t get otherwise. A fraud is someone on here claiming to be a “fan” but with ulterior motives or an agenda. We have some of those too but it’s not DC Rams.
It's absolutely DC Rams, they're a fraud. Unlike ace who said right up front that they were a Hurley fan and that's why they came aboard, DC Rams acts like a Rhody fan, but their only affinity is to the coach
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 3 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago One of my biggest take aways from this win aside from Ish's breakout game is that we only committed 9 turnovers in a 2 OT game. We also outrebounded a bigger team Dayton team and had 8 steals. If we can keep this trend going it may makeup for some of our other lapses and woes.
Carey has had big problems with TOs and he was benched, only played 3 minutes vs SLU so this move will continue to result in fewer TOs
Betrand has also had TO issues and he lost his starting spot to Leggett and his minutes are dropping. Will also result in fewer TOs moving forward

Sheppard, Russell and Leggett played 145 minutes between them only missing 5 minutes of playing time. This improved familiarity, consistency and fewer TOs.

Rocket Surgery this is not. Good Coaching moves with Leggett finally going in as a starter, increasing his minutes a lot and moving the high turnover guys out of the rotation.
Exactly. Cox is finally getting around to doing what posters on this board called for a month ago, which is sitting turnover machines that aren't bringing anything else in bulk to the table. He finally did that and turnovers are decreasing, surprise surprise
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Exactly. Cox is finally getting around to doing what posters on this board called for a month ago, which is sitting turnover machines that aren't bringing anything else in bulk to the table. He finally did that and turnovers are decreasing, surprise surprise
I agree, but Carey and AB will have to clean up their turnover issues Unfortunately, for us to make a serious A10T run and play 4 games in 4 days, these 2 guys will get some playing time just to give the starters some needed rest. At some point, you would think they would be able to turn their game around.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

We have Martin, Harris and Johnson
Don’t need more than 8 a man rotation

Carey and Betrand played themselves out of the rotation with Turnovers and 3P shooting performance.

As every year, most teams are down to 6-7 man rotations for the A10 Tournament. The good teams will play their best starters 35-40 minutes.
Last edited by ramster 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago

I agree, but Carey and AB will have to clean up their turnover issues Unfortunately, for us to make a serious A10T run and play 4 games in 4 days, these 2 guys will get some playing time just to give the starters some needed rest. At some point, you would think they would be able to turn their game around.
I have more faith in Betrand. Carey just needs to not touch the ball and fly around with that athleticism.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 3 years ago We have Martin, Harris and Johnson
Don’t need more than a man rotation

Carey and Betrand played themselves out of the rotation with Turnovers and 3P shooting performance.

As every year, most teams are down to 6-7 man rotations for the A10 Tournament. The good teams will play their best starters 35-40 minutes.
No doubt they have played themselves out of any significant minutes and deservedly so. Whether or not they get anymore court time during the A10T or remaining games is if they start to show some improvement and Cox has confidence in them.

Lets face it many on this board (not including me) also felt or still feel that Martin and JH are undeserving of minutes. The dynamics of the season is always changing along with the attitudes of our fanbase.

Unless Carey/AB decide to leave or we pick up some immediate guard help, both or at least one will play a prominent role for us next season.
That is why I do have some concerns for our immediate future.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

No doubt they have played themselves out of any significant minutes and deservedly so. Whether or not they get anymore court time during the A10T or remaining games is if they start to show some improvement and Cox has confidence in them.

Lets face it many on this board also felt or still feel that Martin and JH are undeserving of minutes. The dynamics of the season is always changing along with the attitudes of our fanbase.

Unless Carey/AB decide to leave or we pick up some immediate guard help, both or at least one will play a prominent role for us next season.
Martin has basically beaten out Betrand and Carey for playing time. He has been ferocious with his defensive efforts and leading with his hustle. Martin has not proven to be the player who will make us forget about Tyrese Martin and Jacob Toppin as some seemed to think would happen but he has earned his spot as 1st off the bench.

Harris is in a unique position to be the only back up to Mitchell.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Lets face it many on this board (not including me) also felt or still feel that Martin and JH are undeserving of minutes. The dynamics of the season is always changing along with the attitudes of our fanbase.

Martin has basically beaten out Betrand and Carey for playing time. He has been ferocious with his defensive efforts and leading with his hustle. Martin has not proven to be the player who will make us forget about Tyrese Martin and Jacob Toppin as some seemed to think would happen but he has earned his spot as 1st off the bench.

I completely agree about Martin, he is a tough hard nose player. Not consistent on offense but makes up for it with rebounding, hustle, and his defense. I have been one of his supporters on this board and even had him on my predicted starting 5 ahead of Carey prior to start of play.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I completely agree about Martin, he is a tough hard nose player. Not consistent on offense but makes up for it with rebounding, hustle, and his defense. I have been one of his supporters on this board and even had him on my predicted starting 5 ahead of Carey prior to start of play.
Martin certainly transitioning to a "Marcus Smart-type" player - in that he brings a defensive attitude and I yell at my TV every time he goes to shoot.

Just like with other players on this roster, if Cox can find a way to get these guys to play within themselves and not try to do everything, there is talent here that can win games.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Apologies if this was already posted, but this is such an awesome video. Incredibly well done.

DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I had Martin in my preseason starting 5 as well. He has fallen short of my expectations a little on the offensive end but his defense has been as advertised. He would have more of an impact if he kept his blocked shots in play. I did not expect Carey to make a large impact and did not suspect he would be a good fit with Fatts.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Martin has shown that he can make 3's.

But not here, yet.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

I think AB will be fine next year. Then you still have an open scholarship for a transfer guard. And if Berry can bring any sort of immediate impact it’ll solidify quickly.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago

Possibly if the opponent has Covid issues
welp, need to get someone on that....
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great video indeed

I can live with AB getting up to 10 minutes a game but keep Caray on the bench unless a blowout , don’t play more than 9

I think Cox is finally getting it
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody72 wrote: 3 years ago Sorry all you Cox haters, the team didn't quit on him as you have quit on the program.
Ignore the fickle, crybaby, fair weather fans. They are here for the long run.
Piss off, now and forever