The Transfer Carousel - 2020-21

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Re: The Transfer Carousel - 2020

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Could just be a standard thank you to the fans. That's not what it looks like, but maybe our PTSD is getting to us. I'll wait for a more official word.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Section104 wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
Section104 wrote: 4 years ago Jermaine Harris transferring
Hold your horses.
Jermaine is just randomly thanking all fans for the opportunity to play here after his Sophomore season?
It’s just a thank you, maybe what some needed to hear.

I told you all, the KIDS READ THIS SHIT.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Section104 wrote: 4 years ago

Hold your horses.
Jermaine is just randomly thanking all fans for the opportunity to play here after his Sophomore season?
It’s just a thank you, maybe what some needed to hear.

I told you all, the KIDS READ THIS SHIT.
And people read theirs
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

FDshoes wrote: 4 years ago
Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago OK hold on that is dated 3/4/20. That is 3 weeks old.
The picture was dated that the post was 30 minutes ago. Thats atleast what i saw thru my IG story feed
If you post a picture in your story, it automatically posts the date the picture was saved in your phone. You can’t delete showing the date.
Go Rhody
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

DC_Rams, I hope you are right, but typically the "thank you for the opportunity" type messages occur when one is on the way out the door. I hope I'm wrong and you're right. Unlike some on this board, I love Harris and if he's used properly can be tremendous. I've seen a rare hook shot from him look great and I'd love to see more of it.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

For the record I really hope he stays, but I’ve never seen a “thank you for the opportunity” post being something tied to staying
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Cox first two seasons were A10 semi finals and a possible NCAA bid. Thats pretty damn good in my book. The way players and some fans are acting are as if we went winnless.
We slightly underachieved in the first season and had a Baron collapse in year 2 with the foundation that Hurley built. Cox hasn't shown himself to be any kind of great in game coach and he might be the worst head coach in Division 1 at maintaining a roster
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Yep I like him too

He can still be a strong player here. Bring in Berry and twins keep Russell and J Harris and all this flips back positive.

I’m hoping the cryptic IG activity is positive.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I really don’t have inside info on this. But I don’t see this message as being definitive one way or the other...
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Cox first two seasons were A10 semi finals and a possible NCAA bid. Thats pretty damn good in my book. The way players and some fans are acting are as if we went winnless.
We slightly underachieved in the first season and had a Baron collapse in year 2 with the foundation that Hurley built. Cox hasn't shown himself to be any kind of great in game coach and he might be the worst head coach in Division 1 at maintaining a roster
I don't 100% agree. During the 10 game winning streak, Cox did show plenty of in game adjustments, especially at halftime. These weren't as apparent in the last 7 games (even if you want to take Dayton out, then the 5 non Dayton games). Only at Davidson showed adjustments, forcing overtime after being down by 10 or so. Maybe at St. Joe's.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhodybop
Zach "1 and Done" Marbury

Unread post by Rhodybop »

Section104 wrote: 4 years ago For the record I really hope he stays, but I’ve never seen a “thank you for the opportunity” post being something tied to staying
Agreed. The date, March 4th, was also the last home game. I feel like he's leaving and thanking fans with a picture from his final game at the Ryan Center.
Section104
Art Stephenson

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago I really don’t have inside info on this. But I don’t see this message as being definitive one way or the other...
Oh...then I’d say he’s gone. I thought you had inside info otherwise.
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago Yep I like him too

He can still be a strong player here. Bring in Berry and twins keep Russell and J Harris and all this flips back positive.

I’m hoping the cryptic IG activity is positive.
But why even post some ambiguous message to begin with? To stir the pot?? It sure sounds like he's leaving, but I hope I'm wrong.

I'm more concerned that Fatts hasn't posted anything to the contrary. Even a quick "Looking forward to next season Rhody nation!" type of message would go a long way in calming everyone's fears. I suspect he's leaving too, but I guess we'll wait and see.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 years ago
I don't 100% agree. During the 10 game winning streak, Cox did show plenty of in game adjustments, especially at halftime. These weren't as apparent in the last 7 games (even if you want to take Dayton out, then the 5 non Dayton games). Only at Davidson showed adjustments, forcing overtime after being down by 10 or so. Maybe at St. Joe's.
His "adjustment" was Fatts started hitting his shots at an All-American/conference player of the year type level. Once that stopped happening Cox had nothing
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Harris is awesome. He started nearly every game of his career. I would expect him to be very good this upcoming year. Too bad Martin is in the wind. Maybe Cox can recruit him back and put this whole thing together.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

He's gone.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

None of us know any inside the locker room stuff (or if any do they’re not saying) but it’s revisionist negative history to deny the fact that this team was overachieving and firing on all cylinders mid season. It’s just not true. The team was playing at a very high level.

My take was the team just ran out of gas due to the short bench and players getting physically pounded.

The attendance was good and the program had major buzz going...

This turmoil is puzzling from my perspective.

I’d really like to have someone tell us what’s going on.
Last edited by hrstrat57 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Section104
Art Stephenson

The whole thing is just so bizarre...

Cox recruited the vast majority of these players.
We finished 3rd in a good A10
We returned (before Martin left) enough talent to fight for a top 3 finish next year
Harris and Martin both started

Are we really that bad at recruiting character and leaders? Do people just not enjoy their time at URI? We need a leader that can bring a group together and it seems like the vast majority of the team this past year was more concerned with the individual numbers than the team performance...and that's completely lost with Dowtin and Cyril taking off.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Joe95 wrote: 4 years agoHe's gone.
He’s not.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

He’s not.
Dude then why would he post that? To scare URI fans? ??????????
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

March has been cursed, the malocchio.
GO RAMS
TheGhostOfDH
Abdul Fox

Unread post by TheGhostOfDH »

steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago DC_Rams, I hope you are right, but typically the "thank you for the opportunity" type messages occur when one is on the way out the door. I hope I'm wrong and you're right. Unlike some on this board, I love Harris and if he's used properly can be tremendous. I've seen a rare hook shot from him look great and I'd love to see more of it.
We desperately need to supplement Cox, TJ and Sutton with a Bigs Coach to work with the kids. In the past we had ARD who worked with Berry, Hass and Iverson, but we don't have anyone now. A proper Bigs Coach would be a huge boost to player development here and would be a lift for the guys here and considering the school.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 4 years ago
He’s not.
To say Thank you.

Just wait and see.

We will all know soon enough.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Remember when we were 27th in the country and a projected 9 seed?

That was fun.
Go Rhody
rhodyfan3000
Tom Garrick

Unread post by rhodyfan3000 »

beware the ides of march
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

He’s not.
To say Thank you.

Just wait and see.

We will all know soon enough.
If it was to say Thank You...he never read this board. The fools that trashed him on this board should be ashamed.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

He’s not.
[/quo

Could it be that Jermaine just wants to say thank you in what is a difficult time for URI fans? I have met him briefly a couple of times and impressed me as a very, very nice young man. Perhaps he is simply displaying his appreciation and gratitude to play here and also presenting the fact that he is not a spoiled young man, but rather an appreciative and thankful one. I hope so very much anyway
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

TheGhostOfDH wrote: 4 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 4 years ago DC_Rams, I hope you are right, but typically the "thank you for the opportunity" type messages occur when one is on the way out the door. I hope I'm wrong and you're right. Unlike some on this board, I love Harris and if he's used properly can be tremendous. I've seen a rare hook shot from him look great and I'd love to see more of it.
We desperately need to supplement Cox, TJ and Sutton with a Bigs Coach to work with the kids. In the past we had ARD who worked with Berry, Hass and Iverson, but we don't have anyone now. A proper Bigs Coach would be a huge boost to player development here and would be a lift for the guys here and considering the school.
We desperately need a new head coach, because Cox doesn't have it. We're gutted, I don't want this guy anywhere near the rebuild. He's a good assistant but a terrible head coach. We need a real head coach to bring this program back
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

giovanni wrote: 4 years ago

He’s not.
Could it be that Jermaine just wants to say thank you in what is a difficult time for URI fans? I have met him briefly a couple of times and impressed me as a very, very nice young man. Perhaps he is simply displaying his appreciation and gratitude to play here and also presenting the fact that he is not a spoiled young man, but rather an appreciative and thankful one. I hope so very much anyway
I really hope that it was just a display of his appreciation. He always works hard on the court and seems like a really good guy. I don't want him to leave. I think he would be much better next year with different players.
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

hrstrat57
Sly Williams

RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

I’m not sure how close Harris was with all the players that left and if that would play a part of it. I like Harris and feel like he hasn’t been completely healthy his first two years. This would be more awful news as this is a very solid player that would be projected to get 20-25 minutes a game. That would be the whole original class that we all liked so much gone! This social media thing is a lot of fun as kids just start using Twitter and instagram and sending off a bunch of information that we try to determine what they mean. We will see what happens here. Nothing would be surprising anymore.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Nothing like stopping the bleeding recruiting a kid who shot 19% from 3 this year.
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

With the relationship between Cox and Harris, going back to 8th or 9th grade, if Jermaine is transferring, then we know we have a HUGE problem...not that it isn't already a problem, but even bigger than we think.
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago
I hope he is not leaving, but if so the hits just keep coming. I can not figure out why starters would leave a good team. Jermaine is starting to put it together.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Two things...

The post is over an hour old...if he were leaving, it would’ve been confirmed by now.

The fact the the statement in the post is open ended and not followed up with a continuance leads me to believe it’s just a simple thank you.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
Nothing like stopping the bleeding recruiting a kid who shot 19% from 3 this year.
He’s a legit 6-10 forward, not a SG.

Again, we take all the veteran experience we can get.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Yea the consensus among fans would easily vote for Jermaine to stay. Hes a huge asset in the paint.
GO RAMS
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago
We have so many spots to fill I don’t think Cox will even care if the guys worthy talent of our conference at this point. Cox is the reason Harris came to URI. If he leaves, there is no defending Cox any longer. Also why can’t some of the assistants leave instead of the players. We could really use an infusion on excitement or something different from the staff working for Cox. Get Wheeler or former URI players to help recruit with TJ. Do something different. These assistants seem to have made no impact.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

I wonder if reading all the schools that have interest in Tyrese prompts other players into throwing their name into the portal?
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 years ago Yea the consensus among fans would easily vote for Jermaine to stay. Hes a huge asset in the paint.
It would be real disappointing if he leaves on so many levels.
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago I wonder if reading all the schools that have interest in Tyrese prompts other players into throwing their name into the portal?
Not sure that makes sense. Tyrese has stud potential. And its not like we have many left on the roster at this point.
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

DeanDome88 wrote: 4 years ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 4 years ago
I hope he is not leaving, but if so the hits just keep coming. I can not figure out why starters would leave a good team. Jermaine is starting to put it together.
This is what's most puzzling to me as well. With a returning core of Fatts, Martin and Harris, improved play from Toppin, Walker and Long, and the addition of Leggett, Wood and whoever else Cox brings in, this could have been a solid roster next season. Is Martin really going to improve his profile at a P5 school where he'll likely see less playing time and reduced stats as a result?? Harris leaving (if it's confirmed) is even more confusing. I think he's a good kid and he certainly plays hard, but let's be honest, he didn't deserve to be starting most of the year with the lack of production. So my point is that both players were given every opportunity to succeed here yet they're fleeing anyway. That's very troubling.
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Did i read somewhere yesterday that the ncaa was going to vote on extending eligibility to seniors in winter sports as well, or was it a wishful thinking dream? If thats the case maybe jeff & cyril stay if it passes?
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Still no confirmation or denial on this?
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhodyhooopz wrote: 4 years ago Still no confirmation or denial on this?
Which is a good thing.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago I wonder if reading all the schools that have interest in Tyrese prompts other players into throwing their name into the portal?
Not sure that makes sense. Tyrese has stud potential. And its not like we have many left on the roster at this point.
Fatts....Jacob?
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

I have put my season ticket renewal in the transfer portal.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Obviously, Cox and staff have not developed a "Family", don't blame it on the kids- it is the schools job to develop the correct environment, the correct coaching and the correct atmosphere. Yes, the buck stops with Cox and his less than top notch assistants.

The warning signs were out early with the Shepard and Walker fiasco, the difficulty Cox has with signing players, the DJ signing, the bad game preparation etc etc. There is no reason to believe that Cox or his staff has the ability to change it.

Doesn't anyone have access to what is really going on??????????????????????????
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 years ago
Fatts....Jacob?

Fatts going into his senior year i would assume he wouldnt make any move unless there is a guarentee he doesnt have to sit out. Toppin would prb get offers because of his name. But his body is not ready to play in a p5 conference. Tyrese is ready now. Fatts would be as well but wouldnt be the top dog at many schools.