1/15 | Saint Joe’s | 7:30PM (ESPN+/YurView)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Re: 1/15 | Saint Joe’s | 7:30PM (ESPN+/YurView)

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ace wrote: 4 years ago But where would this team be without Fatts?
His own personal cheering section was pretty fun, too.
Are they accepting new members? Is there an application process?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Philadelphia Inquirer Article on Russell:

https://www.inquirer.com/college-sports ... 00116.html
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

Has anybody here mentioned that Fatts is leading the nation in steals?
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

NJRhodyFan wrote: 4 years ago Has anybody here mentioned that Fatts is leading the nation in steals?
Yes, I have several times in response to those that still think he stinks and should come off the bench. :D
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago
Rhodyram wrote: 4 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago

Long played a lot in the 2nd half because...

1.) Tyrese got in foul trouble and Mekhi was doing a good job on Daly and Cox needed Martin's offense on the court so someone else had to take over Daly responsibility
2.) Toppin struggled covering Daly, fouling him a couple times and getting beat off the dribble
3.) St Joe's lacked height so we could get away with Cyril and 4 wing/perimeter defenders

Cyril is a beast defensively and no one will ever argue that. You thus have to take your lumps with his offense, but he must convert easy layups, knock down FTs closer to 60% of the time and limit turnovers for us to win against good teams.
Cyril's 37-78 from the line and and 51 turnovers are a lot of points left on the floor
Despite that, I’m still picking him over any other big in the A10. I love the kid. True blue collar, workhorse.
Any other Big not named Toppin I assume you mean? :)
FDshoes
ARD

Unread post by FDshoes »

Ram96 wrote: 4 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 4 years ago Yet, and still, when this team does achieve, you fair weather fans will be back here, waving your Keaney flags, and donning your Keaney blues jerseys as if you always believed in this team. You have great games, you have nail biters, you have losses, and you have clunkers. We won this game despite having a completely different game plan when landing in Philly. Kudos to this team for fighting through adversity and making the proper adjustments to do what really matters...FUCKING WIN!

Go Rhody.

The naysayers, go fly a fricking kite! You don’t deserve these kids, and they damn sure are better without your fickle “woah, is me” attitudes.

Again, GO RHODY!!!
Good comeback win last night but I must say, all you "rah-rah" fans that try to put a positive spin on every terrible performance - get your heads out of your ass! This team/coach is just not that good.

They should get to atleast 20 wins this year. Prb played the best of any team that has visited WVU this year a top 10 team. They are college kids. Lapses during games happen to everh team. Won AT VCU. I mean we all want perfection but you're on glue.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

adam914 wrote: 4 years ago

Despite that, I’m still picking him over any other big in the A10. I love the kid. True blue collar, workhorse.
If given the choice you're picking Cyril over Obi? Don't get me wrong, I love Cyril as much as anybody, but give me the top 10 pick if making that choice. Cyril would be right behind him though.
I guess I’m just loyal. Kid would run through a wall for his teammates.

I absolutely love Obi’s game, and had he come here, I’d likely feel the same, but I’m rolling with Cyril, flaws and all.
Cyril has been a great URI player. One of the better big man to come to URI, but is not in Obi’s class. We are talking about a top 5 NBA pick. Cyril just doesn’t have the offensive game of Obi.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Loyal or not, Saying you’d pick Cyril over Toppin (potential NPOY) is flat out stupid and ignorant.
Go Rhody
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 years ago Loyal or not, Saying you’d pick Cyril over Toppin (potential NPOY) is flat out stupid and ignorant.
And so are you. Shrug.
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

Cyril currently ranked #9 in the country in rebounds at 11.1 per game. Guy is an animal on the boards, but Obi Toppin is arguably the best overall player in the country. You can't say with a straight face you'd take Cyril over him.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

NJRhodyFan wrote: 4 years ago Cyril currently ranked #9 in the country in rebounds at 11.1 per game. Guy is an animal on the boards, but Obi Toppin is arguably the best overall player in the country. You can't say with a straight face you'd take Cyril over him.
Yeah and as a die hard Lakers fan I always preferred Mark Madsen over Shaq. ;)
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

NJRhodyFan wrote: 4 years ago Cyril currently ranked #9 in the country in rebounds at 11.1 per game. Guy is an animal on the boards, but Obi Toppin is arguably the best overall player in the country. You can't say with a straight face you'd take Cyril over him.
I always wonder how many of his rebounds are off of his own missed shot from 2 feet
“We will be good when we are good.”
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago Blue Man mention!!

You have got to love and appreciate this Projo writer.

I know a lot of people give Bill heat here, but I’ve always found him to be a kind and respectful person. Glad he takes the time to post here. Maybe sometimes he regrets it 😂
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Bill has a non-reciprocal amount of detractors for how good he is at his job.

We’ve been better off as fans of this team because of his work.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

ramster wrote: 4 years ago
RhodyRam86 wrote: 4 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 years ago

It was never by design for Cyril to be on Daly, it was always on ball screens. Cyril was always on Longpre or their other big. And since all they do is ball screens for Daly would end up switching on him. Read the post game article by Koch, it is mentioned that Cox had the bigs switching all ball screens in the 2nd half.
ok...IF that's the case, then i was wrong about him intentionally guarding Daly, but the strategy to have cyril stay with him after a ball screen is not something they've done in the past and cyril did a very good job on him.
There must have been a lot of ball screens then because Langevine was on Daly a lot and caused a lot of havoc on Daly. First half and early part of second half there were times it seemed nobody was guarding Daly as Daly seemed open for threes and had his way easily passing the ball plus seemed to gather a number of rebounds.

It was apparent things had changed when Langevine was on Daly like a cheap suit.

However Langevine got on Daly it worked. maybe Langevine should have guarded him the entire game with Walker on Longpre.
What I noticed when we took our worst defensive player (Martin) off him and had Long in the game on him things changed for Daly. Long is a much better defensive player than Martin is
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
I always wonder how many of his rebounds are off of his own missed shot from 2 feet
A lot off his missed shots for sure
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 4 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 4 years ago
A lot off his missed shots for sure
Langevine averages:
3.9 offensive rebounds
7.2 defensive rebounds
11.1 total rebounds

my guess would be an average of 1 of the 3.9 offensive rebounds per game are from misses by Langevine himself. I certainly see him get offensive rebounds fro shots by Dowtin, Russell, Martin, Harris, Toppin, Long and Walker.
I’ll count on Saturday and next Wednesday to see how many come from his own shots.

It wouldn’t be difficult to look back at previous play by play line items in the GoRhody Basketball Box Scores.

The other part of this analysis would be to learn how many of French, Goodwin and Other top A10 rebounders’ Offensive Rebounds are from their own shots.

31C52844-DB75-4737-AFC1-727731B6BC45.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Blue Man wrote: 4 years ago

Bill has a non-reciprocal amount of detractors for how good he is at his job.

We’ve been better off as fans of this team because of his work.
Agreed with both Taylor Swift and Blue Man on their responses. Bill takes a lot of disproportionate heat. He's an excellent journalist and provides good coverage of both the Red Sox and Rhody hoops (as well as high school sports and the times he fills in for Brown, Bryant, and everything else he does). I think those that give him grief probably expect him to be a fan boy as opposed to impartial journalist (his actual job). He's been nothing but fair in his coverage.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”