'19 PA C - Naheem McLeod (Florida State ---> Syracuse)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Re: '19 PA C - Naheem McLeod (Offer)

Unread post by Running Ram »

I'm guessing he's referring to the Kai Jone sitch, but he's right that doesn't bode well for Rhody, it's felt like McLeod has been waiting on FSU
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
CHICO 78
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CHICO 78 »

Crystal ball has it 88 % Kai Jones goes to Texas and 75% Naheem goes to FSU once Kai goes to Texas.
If that happens that would totally suck. Hopefully they are wrong and Naheem is just being an 18 year
old and is waiting till Rhody Madness to commit.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

I meant not looking good for Kai to FSU.

I’ve actually heard he’s already told Texas he’s committing during his visit.

McLeod is still open. We can still lock him up.
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

CHICO 78 wrote: 5 years ago Crystal ball has it 88 % Kai Jones goes to Texas and 75% Naheem goes to FSU once Kai goes to Texas.
If that happens that would totally suck. Hopefully they are wrong and Naheem is just being an 18 year
old and is waiting till Rhody Madness to commit.
Those experts had Mcleod 75% to FSU once it was announced he was takaing an official on Oct 26th, that was announced weeks ago

Lets see how Rhody Madness plays out. Not great news on Kai if he does commit to Texas but hopefully Cox gets it done and we get a verbal
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

FSU has also been after two other centers rated higher than McLeod that still haven’t committed in Balsa Koprivica a 7-0 center ranked 56 overall and Antwan January a 6-10 center 131 overall. Florida State was thought to be the leader for Koprivica, but Lousville jumped in recently also. Antwan January is still taking visits and is involved with several schools out West that are on a lower level than Florida State, but he is from out West so he might be leaning that way.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago FSU has also been after two other centers rated higher than McLeod that still haven’t committed in Balsa Koprivica a 7-0 center ranked 56 overall and Antwan January a 6-10 center 131 overall. Florida State was thought to be the leader for Koprivica, but Lousville jumped in recently also. Antwan January is still taking visits and is involved with several schools out West that are on a lower level than Florida State, but he is from out West so he might be leaning that way.
Neither of those two have visited FSU or have a visit scheduled. McLeod is the only C with a visit scheduled.
“We will be good when we are good.”
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Last night on his IG live someone asked him about Rhody madness and he said he was excited to go

Then followed that up by saying he is going to Lasalle’s midnight madness on the 25th then heading down to FSU on Friday for their homecoming weekend and was looking forward to the Clemson vs FSU game. No new “news” really, hopefully Clemson puts a 50 spot on them

What would be ideal is him cancelling those trips after Rhody madness and we get a verbal
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

wpbrown8267 wrote: 5 years ago Last night on his IG live someone asked him about Rhody madness and he said he was excited to go

Then followed that up by saying he is going to Lasalle’s midnight madness on the 25th then heading down to FSU on Friday for their homecoming weekend and was looking forward to the Clemson vs FSU game. No new “news” really, hopefully Clemson puts a 50 spot on them

What would be ideal is him cancelling those trips after Rhody madness and we get a verbal
If he doesn’t commit this weekend and makes the trip to Florida State than he isn’t coming to URI. He will go down the same road as Bishop if he is at the FSU football game.
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago
wpbrown8267 wrote: 5 years ago Last night on his IG live someone asked him about Rhody madness and he said he was excited to go

If he doesn’t commit this weekend and makes the trip to Florida State than he isn’t coming to URI. He will go down the same road as Bishop if he is at the FSU football game.
Yeah i agree that our chances would go down to having him commit to Rhody if he goes down to FSU, but I'm not going to say we lost him after this weekend if there is no verbal. I have faith with Cox and until I hear his announcement going with another school I'll continue to be optimistic. He does chat with Fatts and Cyril on their IG lives, It looked like he had a nice connection with Cyril (being a fellow big) on his official. I do not have any sources or good intel like DC_Ram and Rhody83, but am really hopeful we get this kid.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

If we do not get a commit ahead of the FSU visit, we are in trouble. We just can’t compete. But I will say, he’s a 4th/5th options and likely would play sparingly there.
reckless jake
ARD

Unread post by reckless jake »

The one thing that continues to puzzle me about McLeod is why doesn't he have more offers?

A legitimate 7 footer with good footwork and decent athleticism. His recruitment is odd in today's recruiting churn and madness.

The quiet surrounding his recruitment is deafening.
Last edited by reckless jake 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

You would think after our recent success, nice facilities, a campus that is upgrading in all aspects, and a team that still retains another shot at the NCAAs, would be enough to sway these guys.
GO RAMS
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

also to add but if I was a kid being recruited and there was 4-5 postion players that seemed to be recruited harder ahead of me or had underclassmen already at the school, personally (again my opinion) I would go to a school where there seemed to be decent playing time available and then to grow to contributor. I would feel sort of discouraged if a FSU was recruiting others and I was vasically their plan D or E. To me this inst the same situation as the recrutiment and backup plan woth Bishop-to-Hammond, that was strictly plan B which is very different

just my two cents
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

reckless jake wrote: 5 years ago The one thing that continues to puzzle me about McLeod is why doesn't he have more offers?

A legitimate 7 footer with good footwork and decent athleticism. His recruitment is odd in today's recruiting churn and madness.

The quiet surrounding his recruitmen is deafening.
McLeod did not have a breakout AAU season. He played on a lower level non-circuit AAU team against weaker competition.

He will have his breakout his Fr year at URI (I hope).
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago You would think after our recent success, nice facilities, a campus that is upgrading in all aspects, and a team that still retains another shot at the NCAAs, would be enough to sway these guys.
So you don't think being in sunny Florida, playing Duke and UNC, and having one of the hottest student bodies in the country is as compelling as what we offer?
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 years ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago You would think after our recent success, nice facilities, a campus that is upgrading in all aspects, and a team that still retains another shot at the NCAAs, would be enough to sway these guys.
So you don't think being in sunny Florida, playing Duke and UNC, and having one of the hottest student bodies in the country is as compelling as what we offer?
Yes, Florida is Florida, but hey, there are some absolute models that walk around campus. Plus URI is a top 10 party school if we're talking about extra curricular aspects.
GO RAMS
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Coach Hamilton has had plenty of success at FSU. Look at last year- they made the Elite 8. The year before they made the second round or sweet 16 (Can't recall off hand). Plus he has coached in the NBA and has had success with 7+ footers. He is one of the best defensive coaches around as well.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Hell, Bos8 just sold me!
reckless jake
ARD

Well, with all that, I guess this might be the beginning of the Ray Somerville era in URI basketball then...
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 years ago
Yes, Florida is Florida, but hey, there are some absolute models that walk around campus. Plus URI is a top 10 party school if we're talking about extra curricular aspects.
girls that are 10s up here are 6's down south, there is just no comparison
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Not to mention Florida state has had about 7,000 more 7 footers than we have had in the last 10 years or so.
They're used to developing them.

I think we can beat out La Salle.

Just hopefully he feels we can develop him just as well as anyone and he can be a particularly special player here. We have never had a star 7 footer. He would be apart of winning teams and wreck the A-10.
wgracie99
Jeff Kent

Unread post by wgracie99 »

reckless jake wrote: 5 years ago Well, with all that, I guess this might be the beginning of the Ray Somerville era in URI basketball then...
I would hold onto that last scholarship then do that. Something better should become available next spring, high school seniors that slip through and blossom or college transfers.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

wgracie99 wrote: 5 years ago
reckless jake wrote: 5 years ago Well, with all that, I guess this might be the beginning of the Ray Somerville era in URI basketball then...
I would hold onto that last scholarship then do that. Something better should become available next spring, high school seniors that slip through and blossom or college transfers.
I like a scholarship available for a transfer. There are 700+ D1 transfers every year. KI and Stan were key parts of Rhody’s recent success.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 years ago Just hopefully he feels we can develop him just as well as anyone and he can be a particularly special player here. We have never had a star 7 footer. He would be apart of winning teams and wreck the A-10.
You are forgetting KB’s own Will Martell (7’0”) who had a good career at URI. Will started for 2 1/2 years at C.

As far as adding that Hamilton coached in the NBA. Please he coached Washington one year (18 yrs ago) and they went 19-63. Michael Jordan (Wizzard Pres) fired Hamilton immediately after the last game of the year and hired Doug Collins the next day. I don’t think Leonard is promoting his NBA “experience” to recruits.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Naheem’s latest IG story calls out Fatts....
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Naheem’s latest IG story calls out Fatts....
Apparently whoever he is talking to is a URI fan so McLeod ends the video with Rhody Rhody Rhody.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Let's not forget that our women's team coach's son (Terrance Mann) is the star at FSU. Mann is a senior this year so will not be impacted by the absence of McLeod from next year's roster. She should talk to Naheem and come up with some first hand reasons as to why URI is a much better place for him. Let's get her involved!
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

eli#10 wrote: 5 years ago Let's not forget that our women's team coach's son (Terrance Mann) is the star at FSU. Mann is a senior this year so will not be impacted by the absence of McLeod from next year's roster. She should talk to Naheem and come up with some first hand reasons as to why URI is a much better place for him. Let's get her involved!
You are joking I hope. There is no way she is doing this. She helped her son pick FSU. He is playing on the team right now and you want them to go against his school and coach.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Anyone know the length of McLeod’s visit this week?
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 5 years ago Just hopefully he feels we can develop him just as well as anyone and he can be a particularly special player here. We have never had a star 7 footer. He would be apart of winning teams and wreck the A-10.
You are forgetting KB’s own Will Martell (7’0”) who had a good career at URI. Will started for 2 1/2 years at C.

As far as adding that Hamilton coached in the NBA. Please he coached Washington one year (18 yrs ago) and they went 19-63. Michael Jordan (Wizzard Pres) fired Hamilton immediately after the last game of the year and hired Doug Collins the next day. I don’t think Leonard is promoting his NBA “experience” to recruits.
I didn't forget about Will Martell.
He had a good career but was not a "star" player.
Now Naheem may not even be as good, but if he were to be a star player it would be the first we've had.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Boy this would be pretty crappy news if we don't land MCLeod , let's hope it doesn't come to that
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Rhody fans at it again on his IG Story...meanwhile, McLeod giving no info. It’s beginning to become annoying.
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Rhody fans at it again on his IG Story...meanwhile, McLeod giving no info. It’s beginning to become annoying.
Yeah, he obviously loves the attention and is having fun with people. I stopped asking questions awhile ago on his IG lives, to your point its annoying now
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

wpbrown8267 wrote: 5 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago Rhody fans at it again on his IG Story...meanwhile, McLeod giving no info. It’s beginning to become annoying.
Yeah, he obviously loves the attention and is having fun with people. I stopped asking questions awhile ago on his IG lives, to your point its annoying now
Yeah, if you’re not gonna answer anything, why bother.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

A Point of View-
Let’s say it comes down to FSU and URI, I think McLeod is smart enough to realize that if he chooses FSU, his career playing time will be limited

every year FSU will recruit 4 and 5 star centers; if the best they can do is McLeod this year , he will likely be recriited over and will likely become a “practice” player sooner or later

The reality is that will not happen at uri

Playing time equals development equals better cha Ce for next level

Anyone still in the running right now ?
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

See Tertsea. We have a 3* center who has a special spot on the bench.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Hey Blue rAm. So if u were McLeod do you think you have a better chance to be a practice player at Rhody or FSU ?
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago FSU has also been after two other centers rated higher than McLeod that still haven’t committed in Balsa Koprivica a 7-0 center ranked 56 overall and Antwan January a 6-10 center 131 overall. Florida State was thought to be the leader for Koprivica, but Lousville jumped in recently also. Antwan January is still taking visits and is involved with several schools out West that are on a lower level than Florida State, but he is from out West so he might be leaning that way.
Neither of those two have visited FSU or have a visit scheduled. McLeod is the only C with a visit scheduled.
Rhody83-I thought Koprivica wasn’t being pursued by FSU??

wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

RamStock wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83-I thought Koprivica wasn’t being pursued by FSU??

Music to my ears, hope he commits right after the visit
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

He might, he goes to HS in Florida.

Bottom line, really want these kids to WANT to come here, not SETTLE for coming here.
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago He might, he goes to HS in Florida.

Bottom line, really want these kids to WANT to come here, not SETTLE for coming here.
agreed
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Rivals has Koprivica 100% for FSU. This is great.

[edited by ATP for clarity]
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago He might, he goes to HS in Florida.

They tend to WANT to come more when another recruit ranked higher than them is the lead in the other school they are considering.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Rivals has him 100% for FSU. This is great.
Him as in Koprivica, right?
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

TruePoint wrote: 5 years ago
Rhody83 wrote: 5 years ago Rivals has him 100% for FSU. This is great.
Him as in Koprivica, right?
correct, 247 also has him at 60% for FSU
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Was 99% sure that was what he meant, but since this is Naheem’s thread I know I clicked in here, read up, saw that and was like “aww man.” So just wanted to clarify in case anyone else had the same experience.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

If Koprivica doesn’t commit this weekend, he’s got other plans. Those predictions were from back in June, so they don’t hold as much weight now. But we will see. I’m kind of over the whole back n forth with Naheem and the fan base, either he comes or he doesn’t at this point...and personally I will be okay with whatever direction he chooses.
reckless jake
ARD

DC_Rams wrote: 5 years ago If Koprivica doesn’t commit this weekend, he’s got other plans. Those predictions were from back in June, so they don’t hold as much weight now. But we will see. I’m kind of over the whole back n forth with Naheem and the fan base, either he comes or he doesn’t at this point...and personally I will be okay with whatever direction he chooses.
Unless Naheem commits in the next 48 hours I have a hunch that Somerville beats him to the punch. And I agree with you, we want kids who want to be here not kids who "settle" on being here.

Good luck to both of them
Last edited by reckless jake 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Is he here?