Game #28: @ Dayton - Tuesday 7pm

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: Game #28: @ Dayton - Tuesday 7pm

Unread post by Blue Man »

BPR2010 wrote:Now that I have a break at work, can finally post some thoughts on last night.

Did anyone notice how well Dayton executed in half-court sets? Too many times to count, EVERY guy on the Flyers touched the ball. They spaced out the floor which made it hard for anyone to help defensively without leaving their man wide open. That is the sign of a well coached team, and one that looked and was the better team last night. On the flip side, I counted 3 possessions of ours where EC and only EC touched the ball. That isn't an offense. It's infuriating to see him continue to put his head down and dribble around when he has a very capable team around him. I'm sure I'll get ripped for criticizing EC, but man that stuck out like a sore thumb last night, the contrasts in offenses between us and Dayton.

Still have high hopes for Brooklyn, although Dayton is the team I no longer want to face. Those 6-7 guys play so well together and with such fluiditiy. We will be that type of team next year/2017, but like everyone else has said, the consistency just isn't there offensively for us yet. Yet.

Fact is, we struck out every time we faced a tournament caliber team, and that's fine. The NIT is great for a young team. I'll enjoy every second of it if we end up there (hope we end up higher). Great learning experiences for our guys, but still a year away from BEING the tournament caliber team. Let's support the seniors on Saturday, and end the year with a W!
Agree 100%.

EC is starting to take away from other players (read: Terrell) with this crap. If you're going to put up a Kobe amount of shots, you better start making a Kobe amount of shots. Otherwise pass.

Following what BPR said about all of them touching the ball - that's why they're not wearing down with 6 guys playing. They don't run around aimlessly, they pass until a shot develops. That saves a lot of energy. I underestimated the crap out of Dayton without seeing them play. They are for real.

We aren't ready to beat NCAA teams yet - we're a year away, but very close. Hell of a year and a turnaround regardless. With that said, we're so close that a couple ball bounces next weekend in Brooklyn and it shouldn't surprise anyone if we wind up holding an A10 championship on the 15th.

The Davidson and Dayton losses kinda took the wind out of my sails, but the fun part about March is it's just one game at a time, and who the hell knows. We certainly will have a shot. Let's just hope for a few of those bounces.

Starts on Saturday, #OnToStJoes
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

rodfromcranston wrote:Holton, 8 ppg, 6.1 rpg, and 0.9 blocks.
No big deal.

I mean, c'mon, even if he stayed at Rhody he'd be long gone by now so that ship has sailed on what, hopefully, is the Hare River. But, the dude can play. 6 boards is top 10 in a great conference. 8 points on 6 shots is pretty good. I would bet only ten or so guys in the entire A10 are 8/6/1. If that. Looks like he fires too many dumb threes still, though. If someone told me that Holton's twin (with a brain) was coming to URI next year, I would be pumped. Love guys like that in college. Guys that can defend and rebound. Plus, if Huggy Bear throws you out there for 40 minutes like last night, that tells me plenty.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

theblueram wrote:The thing with NIT is that the casual fans will not be motivated to go (I could be wrong with this team though). We've been to what, 4 NIT's in the last decade? But we haven't been relevant since 99 nationally. NIT is great for a young team like this one. So it's not a negative. NIT with a senior laden team is a negative. And the CBI should be summarily rejected by URI unless we are starting 5 freshman.

It is actually five NIT's and one CBI since the Ryan Center opened up 13 seasons ago (2002-03)0.

NIT

CBI

Participation in these also ran tournaments has happened basically every other year and they are not going to excite any casual fans. Only the NCAA Tournament will do that at this point..
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Holton also leads WVA in fouls by a huge margin.
He began the season really productive and faded since.
Another guy who can't stay on the floor because of fouls.
Sure, he's better than any frontcourt player we have, except Hassan.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Blue Man wrote:
BPR2010 wrote:Now that I have a break at work, can finally post some thoughts on last night.

Did anyone notice how well Dayton executed in half-court sets? Too many times to count, EVERY guy on the Flyers touched the ball. They spaced out the floor which made it hard for anyone to help defensively without leaving their man wide open. That is the sign of a well coached team, and one that looked and was the better team last night. On the flip side, I counted 3 possessions of ours where EC and only EC touched the ball. That isn't an offense. It's infuriating to see him continue to put his head down and dribble around when he has a very capable team around him. I'm sure I'll get ripped for criticizing EC, but man that stuck out like a sore thumb last night, the contrasts in offenses between us and Dayton.

Still have high hopes for Brooklyn, although Dayton is the team I no longer want to face. Those 6-7 guys play so well together and with such fluiditiy. We will be that type of team next year/2017, but like everyone else has said, the consistency just isn't there offensively for us yet. Yet.

Fact is, we struck out every time we faced a tournament caliber team, and that's fine. The NIT is great for a young team. I'll enjoy every second of it if we end up there (hope we end up higher). Great learning experiences for our guys, but still a year away from BEING the tournament caliber team. Let's support the seniors on Saturday, and end the year with a W!
Agree 100%.

EC is starting to take away from other players (read: Terrell) with this crap. If you're going to put up a Kobe amount of shots, you better start making a Kobe amount of shots. Otherwise pass.

Following what BPR said about all of them touching the ball - that's why they're not wearing down with 6 guys playing. They don't run around aimlessly, they pass until a shot develops. That saves a lot of energy. I underestimated the crap out of Dayton without seeing them play. They are for real.

We aren't ready to beat NCAA teams yet - we're a year away, but very close. Hell of a year and a turnaround regardless. With that said, we're so close that a couple ball bounces next weekend in Brooklyn and it shouldn't surprise anyone if we wind up holding an A10 championship on the 15th.

The Davidson and Dayton losses kinda took the wind out of my sails, but the fun part about March is it's just one game at a time, and who the hell knows. We certainly will have a shot. Let's just hope for a few of those bounces.

Starts on Saturday, #OnToStJoes
I think a part of this is EC maybe feeling like he needs to do too much. With everybody a year older next season and some added talent on the roster, my hope/expectation is that some of this will change naturally just built on some added confidence in each other. I agree with the EC points for the most part, but at times last night he was out there with Biggie, Reischel, and Garrett, not exactly many scoring options. Hassan is a different story of course.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I saw very poor PG play for URI against Dayton. Jarvis looks gassed. Biggie can't even defend. The offense starts at PG and with URI it ends there right now. Other players are not at the right spot at the right time. Fatigue - Dan needs to ask himself why? A win against SJU is critical to calling this season successful and not a collapse.
NCAAs or Bust!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

The better team won and I have no problem with that. But two things killed any chance URI had: the last few minutes of the first half, and Biggie fouling on a 3-point shot.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Our boys will be ready to go against St. Joes, shit gets tough when you're young. we'll have plenty of rest from here until the conference tournament. The last two games have trended down, but I still believe we're gonna make some damn noise in Brooklyn. We'll fight our asses off.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Interesting question, '72.
Harrick used to cut back on his practices as far as
intensity, as the season went on.
He pounded them in pre season, and in early season.
It was very different as the season went on.
He'd mostly work going over the opponents and his game plan.
Just a possibility that tired legs need less practice time
at this point of the season.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Our biggest nemesis this year is 3 pt shooting and FT shooting. Has been all year.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

To address an above point, practices are different at this stage in the season than earlier. I think it continues to be important to note that the youngest players are the heart of this team, and no one on this roster has ever played in meaningful games in February or March before (could possibly even include parts of January in that). Win Saturday, and I'm happy. I don't even care about what comes after that.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Ace, I absolutely agree with you about Saturday.

It's a huge game. We need the bye. We also might need another win to lock up an NIT berth.

Win Saturday, hopefully win next Friday, get a good NIT seed, and see what happens.

I'm not expecting any more than that. A loss Saturday would be a huge downer.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

We are on to Cincin.......I mean St. Joes....
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Dan is upset with his older players not named TJ.

Unfortunately, the better the competition, the worse they play.

They are [except for Gil when he's on] a significant dropoff in talent when they're on the floor.

This isn't anything new. When our starters have to sit with foul trouble, it kills us.

It would kill Dayton too, except their starters hardly ever get in foul trouble.

Next season, these guys are going to be riding some serious pine.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

rambone 78 wrote:Dan is upset with his older players not named TJ.

They are [except for Gil when he's on] a significant dropoff in talent when they're on the floor.

This isn't anything new. When our starters have to sit with foul trouble, it kills us.

It would kill Dayton too, except their starters hardly ever get in foul trouble.

Most of Dan's comment was directed towards Gil and Biggy. Go back and look at Gil's performance in big games (VCU, Davidson & Dayton).
Biggy was the starting PG for more than half the year. He has only had a few (my guess is two) good games out of the last 13 as a reserve.
“We will be good when we are good.”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody83 wrote:

Most of Dan's comment was directed towards Gil and Biggy. Go back and look at Gil's performance in big games (VCU, Davidson & Dayton).
Biggy was the starting PG for more than half the year. He has only had a few (my guess is two) good games out of the last 13 as a reserve.
Biggie is not terrible, he just does not do much to help. When you are just minute eater, you can't do stuff like foul a guy taking a three when your team is clinging to life on the road against a good team.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Gil, Biggie, and JR are not getting it done.

Gil is the biggest disappointment, by far.

His lack of production leaves a glaring hole in our frontcourt.

You need something from the 4 position. Gil isn't really a PF anyway, the way he plays.

You wonder how he'll play Saturday, with it being Senior Day and the emotion that will be there.

We need a good game from him.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

TruePoint wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:

Biggie is not terrible, he just does not do much to help. When you are just minute eater, you can't do stuff like foul a guy taking a three when your team is clinging to life on the road against a good team.
You say he's not terrible and then give evidence that he is. He misses easy shots, turns the ball over, gets beat to the basket and gets few assists.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Iggy1979 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
Rhody83 wrote: Most of Dan's comment was directed towards Gil and Biggy. Go back and look at Gil's performance in big games (VCU, Davidson & Dayton).
You say he's not terrible and then give evidence that he is. He misses easy shots, turns the ball over, gets beat to the basket and gets few assists.
I think terrible is pretty tough. I don't think he brings a lot to the game. I'll leave it at that.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

OK, so this is the final verdict on Biggie:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

Why do you think Dan made such a strong comment?
1) he was pissed with the upperclassmen and went public with it
2) he is hoping this will motivate them for the rest of the year
3) he wants some of them to leave to free up scholarships for next year
4) something else
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

4 or 5, depending on your numbering system) he's trying to take the pressure off the younger guys
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Why did coach Hurley call out the upper classman?

My guess
.....He doesn't want them to pack it in after three tough losses in the last four games...There is a slight possibility of NCAA play [ winning out]. There is a good chance of an NIT seeded bid.
.....The underclassman can't do it themselves.
.....Coach and the fans are all aware of recent late-season swoons by CFL and that negativity.
.....A good finish will sell more pre-season, season packages next year.

I've watched all the home games in person. I think this team is fatigued. It could be the style of play, along with the lack of quality depth, particularly in the frontcourt. Certainly the injuries have had some effect.

I am not seeing new offensive sets and plays being introduced. I think our opponent coaches are scouting us better. Our forecourt efficiency is slipping as a result.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Virginia plays the same style of grinding defense.
They did well, even when their best player was out.
They play a far more rugged schedule than we do.
I still think it's all about endless, massive foul trouble,
which keeps our best players on the bench, and our subs
on the floor for too long.
I'd still like to see some plays run for Hassan. It was never more
obvious than Tuesday night.
The only guy with any effieciency and we're lobbing up contested
perimeter shots.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Must introduce wrinkles down the stretch to be succesful.

Can't stick to your guns down the stretch. Half the top teams do their wininning on talent and the rest is smoke and mirrors.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod, what can be done about the fouls?

We play aggressive defense. We are going to foul more.

In games where the refs call it tight, we have to learn to adjust.

Dayton plays aggressive D too, but they don't foul nearly as much. They have the same depth problems we do.

So what's the answer? Are we still hand checking too much? That should have been addressed since the beginning of the season.

We can't afford to back off on our defense, due to the fact that we can't score enough to win games, when the D isn't there. See the Dayton game.

It's a catch-22 situation. Damned if we do, damned if we don't.

Or fucked, as in the other thread.

Until we start shooting better as a team, we're going to struggle against the better teams.

I know that's a stupid obvious statement, but that's our problem, in a nutshell.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

We've played aggressive defense all year.
Biruta or Terrel might get into foul trouble.
Now, it's everyone, every game, including reserves.
I think when you see articles describing the defense in
almost MMA terms, that brings an attention that you
don't want.
Then the refs think, "Oh, I can't allow unarmed combat on my watch!"
and blow their whistles all night.
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Not that I want to create something here, but how many are in the belief that Dan has cost us a few games with his attitude with the refs? Someone asked me that question the other day, and I felt that he has probably won us some the same way. Any thoughts?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Dan is by nature very intense. He might have to learn to "pick his battles" a little more judicially sometimes.

Part of the learning process I guess. If I was a ref, and a coach was all over me from the opening tap, I might have an issue with that.

Sometimes that might cost Dan and the team the benefit of the doubt. It seems to be that way with certain refs, for sure.

There are times to complain about the refs, but not all the time. Counterproductive.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I haven't noticed any other teams looking as fatigued as we look right now.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Some of these refs need to get kicked in the balls. They suck. I wish Dan would do it once, get the technical and get kicked outta the game. I'm of the belief he hasn't cost us 1 game with the refs.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

85, our brand of intense defense, a short [and not effective] bench, Dan's tough practices, and the number of games lately have combined to wear this team out.

We used to be a good 2nd half team. Now, we run out of gas and can't make a shot late in games, either FT or from the field, and now even our defense wilted late against Dayton. We're reaching too much, getting in foul trouble early. Then, we're a step slow. Toasted.

That's a huge sign we're tired. Nagging injuries to key players hasn't helped either. No doubt. Hopefully a little longer turnaround until Saturday will help.

Having until next Friday until we play in NY will also help. It had better.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Our defense down low in 1 on 1 match ups against Dayton was pretty weak. Only Martin was able to play good D. Gil, TJ and JR could not contain their guys and pretty easy lay ups were the result. In hindsight we probably should have done more double teaming.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Eli, Dayton spaces the floor really well, making it hard to double team. They are good passers too, they find the open man.

Just a well balanced and coached team. As I've said before, they start 3 sophs, so they really aren't that old.

Their relative youth hasn't been an issue for them.

And the last thing: They can all shoot. When a couple of them are off, the others pick up the slack. They have more scoring options than we do, by far, at least right now.

Look at the box score from Tuesday's game. They ALL shot the ball well, of course a lot of those shots were in close. They still made them. We miss too many layups, even when we get inside.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

rambone 78 wrote:We miss too many layups, even when we get inside.
This!
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

57, we need more "finishers".

Players like Gil and JR can't finish. Not worried about Terrell or EC.

Another year of experience plus the newcomers might help change that.
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

The "miss too many layups" thing has been a hallmark of the program as long as they've been in the Ryan Center (if not longer).
theblueram
Frank Keaney

These numbers about sum it up. Jarvis and Terrell are freshman and will only improve next year. The core four scored 47 points in a 59 point game. Jarvis and Jared will only be better next year. Gil scored 1, yes 1, point. Remove the core four, and we had 68 minutes of court time with a total of 12 points. 12 POINTS!!!!!! That is why we lost.

# STARTERS MIN FGM-A 3PM-A FTM-A OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS
12 Hassan Martin - F 34 6-7 0-0 2-2 1 3 4 0 0 6 1 4 14
55 Gilvydas Biruta - F 19 0-2 0-0 1-2 0 4 4 3 0 0 1 4 1
00 E.C. Matthews - G 37 7-16 1-7 3-6 0 6 6 3 0 0 4 1 18
01 Jarvis Garrett - G 37 1-4 1-3 5-8 0 1 1 3 0 0 1 1 8
32 Jared Terrell - G 24 3-4 1-2 0-0 0 2 2 1 0 0 3 5 7
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Terrell would have had a big game imo, but he had to sit because of fouls.

Wouldn't have made the difference between winning and losing, but it would have made things closer.

TJ, same thing.

The rest of the bench should have stayed home, along with Gil.
Rhody83
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhody83 »

I think Rhody shot 50% FG the other night. I know they missed a lot of easy shots. It seems to be their overall offense - turnovers are a big part of it. No way you should shot 50% and only score 59 points. Not enough shots and too many missed FTs.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody83 wrote:I think Rhody shot 50% FG the other night. I know they missed a lot of easy shots. It seems to be their overall offense - turnovers are a big part of it. No way you should shot 50% and only score 59 points. Not enough shots and too many missed FTs.
And almost no offensive rebounds either.
RhodysRelevant
Lamar Odom

Unread post by RhodysRelevant »

Billyboy78 wrote:
Rhody83 wrote:I think Rhody shot 50% FG the other night. I know they missed a lot of easy shots. It seems to be their overall offense - turnovers are a big part of it. No way you should shot 50% and only score 59 points. Not enough shots and too many missed FTs.
And almost no offensive rebounds either.
The few that we snagged we went right back up and missed the put backs so it was almost a moot point.