Preston Murphy Joins BC staff as Assistant Coach

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Re: Reports: Preston Murphy to Join BC staff as Assistant Co

Unread post by steviep123 »

ramfan85 wrote:It's a Catch 22 for me with BC. I want Preston to do well, but, I'll never cheer for BC.
Maybe we should lose the title of AHC (unless we give it to someone we want to leave).
Agreed. As much as I want PM to succeed, I can't root for BC. Most people I know from there think their sh1t doesn't stink.

That said, I wish the best for Preston.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

It's too Rhode Island to claim Kingston is remote. It's 25 minutes from providence. I commuted my last years. An hour total commute is a luxury to most people.

I like our roster for this year, hope we can get a talent or two for next year so that when we do have success Dan doesn't bolt. If we make it anywhere and he has to rebuild to get past that point I doubt he comes back. We need some continuity of a few things.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:It's too Rhode Island to claim Kingston is remote. It's 25 minutes from providence.
If you average 72 mph the whole way.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Hurley was not hired based on his success at Wagner or St. Benedict's. he was hired because he's a Hurley and connected. If he can't use those connections to hire a staff and recruit a great team then he was a bad hire. If Preston leaving sets the program back, then Hurley isn't who Thorr thought he was
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Any good program reloads, not rebuilds, when they reach a certain
plateau.
Constant recruiting, without lean years is how it's done.
We're not going to have one and done types, so maintaining a level once
attained, should be doable.

As for Kingston, as I've pointed out before, Storrs is a greater distance
from Hartford, than Kingston is to Providence.
Somehow, it doesn't hurt UConn's programs, not to mention all the other schools
I pointed out, who are hardly urban based.

I agree 100% with Iggy. Time to see what Dan really is. Our staff is now composed of
only the graduate assistant who played D-1 ball, where we once had Bobby and Preston.
Kind of startling. We need someone who can relate to the recruits, who's been there.
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Eh, not saying we are getting a 1 and done. Just a 1 and done trip to the tournament off the backs of EC and Hass if we don't recruit more guys like them.
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

During the Baron Era, assistant coaches went on to jobs at Stop & Shop, now they're leaving for head coaching jobs and the ACC.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I just heard from a reliable source, who heard it from a reliable source, who heard it from a reliable source--

We all know about the coach at Manhatten College, Steve Masiello, who took the job at USFl, only to have it rescinded because he did not graduate from Kentucky as he had on his resume, so,

the source is saying that URI has sent over Preston's records that have been doctored, it does not show that he graduated and now there is an issue at BC on whether they should rescind their offer to Preston.

(Long Weekend!)
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

This place has gone full boat looney tunes
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

rambone 78 wrote:This place has gone full boat looney tunes

Long time ago!!!
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

reliable source- somebody who repeats a story that somebody fabricated to screw with them?

(I was just trying to guess the definition based on context, no offense intended)
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

A respectable counter offer. But BC could have countered the counter offer if it wished. Not giving Murphy a raise with the new title may have hurt. But URI was not going to win a bidding war with BC. As for Skinner, he loved his time at BC. Didn't like DeFillippo.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Re: Preston Murphy Joins BC staff as Assistant Coach

What grade would you give Preston's recruiting take? One star, one talented but seemingly troubled player , one potential star, a role player, a handful that transferred out.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

DeanDome88 wrote:reliable source- somebody who repeats a story that somebody fabricated to screw with them?

(I was just trying to guess the definition based on context, no offense intended)
No offense taken, exactly my point in many cases
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

What year do we think Preston was really responsible for some of the recruits? Last two years of Baron?
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

McRam wrote:What year do we think Preston was really responsible for some of the recruits? Last two years of Baron?
TJ, Powell, West, Holton, McKoy from Baron years
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Preston Murphy Joins BC staff as Assistant Coach

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Iggy1979 wrote:What grade would you give Preston's recruiting take? One star, one talented but seemingly troubled player , one potential star, a role player, a handful that transferred out.
It's a good question Iggy. I'm a big time Murphy fan boy but if you step back and look at his overall body of work it's a mixed bag, especially under Baron. Koch reminded us of that in his Independent article.

So I'd have to conclude that Murphy benefited from Hurley coming on board. I'd also give Murphy credit and say he became a better recruiter.

Point remains that while some of us hurt because someone we admire is gone there are more P Murphs out there. Hurley will make the next guy a better recruiter too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I would give a grade of B+ to Preston for his time here recruiting.

Not everyone pans out, for different reasons. Nobody hits a home run every time.

One thing we know: It's hard to recruit 3 and 4 star players to Kingston.

Given the inherent difficulties of recruiting for a cash strapped mid major, he did a good job overall.

Could we get someone better? Possibly.
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Mstthews alone makes his time a success.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Iggy1979 wrote:
McRam wrote:What year do we think Preston was really responsible for some of the recruits? Last two years of Baron?
TJ, Powell, West, Holton, McKoy from Baron years
and Hare was under Baron/Murphy. Murphy was the recruiter for Hare. Hare recommitted with Hurley.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Hare was verbaled when Baron was fired and Hurley hired. I don't think he ever decommitted but Hurley definitely had to do some work to get him to sign, because he could have signed elsewhere.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Ramblinrose wrote:Mstthews alone makes his time a success.
Do you think Matthews comes here with Baron as head coach?

Hard to imagine the answer is yes

Again, Murphy has done a solid job and he is one of my all time faves but I think Hurley made him a better recruiter.

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:Hare was verbaled when Baron was fired and Hurley hired. I don't think he ever decommitted but Hurley definitely had to do some work to get him to sign, because he could have signed elsewhere.
Hare verbaled under Murphy is the point - Hare was a Murphy recruit in addition to the guys mentioned in Iggy's statement
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:Hare was verbaled when Baron was fired and Hurley hired. I don't think he ever decommitted but Hurley definitely had to do some work to get him to sign, because he could have signed elsewhere.
Assistant coach played role in Jordan Hare staying at Rhode Island, despite coaching change
September 28, 2012 in Division I
By Patrick Hayes
Former Saginaw Arthur Hill big man Jordan Hare committed to Rhode Island after being recruited by former coach Jim Baron. When Baron was fired and replaced by Dan Hurley, Hare still honored his commitment, and Andy Katz of ESPN.com reports that was partially a result of Hurley keeping former Baron assistant Preston Murphy on the staff:
Murphy had already recruited 6-foot-10 center Jordan Hare from Saginaw, Mich., for this season and Hare decided to honor the commitment after the coaching change. He said the hiring of the Hurleys (Dan and assistant coach Bob, the former Duke point guard) made it an easier sell to stay but having Murphy remain on staff made the decision easier.
“[Murphy] is a connection,” Hurley said. “He’s a daily reminder that we can be great. Having him around — and Bob (Hurley), with his name recognition — gets our foot in the door. Jimmy Carr’s years as a Big East assistant gives us a great mix of people.”
Murphy is a Saginaw native and his Michigan connections have paid off for Rhode Island. Kalamazoo guard T.J. Buchanan is on the roster and class of 2013 Romulus guard E.C. Matthews recently committed there.
http://www.ballinmichigan.com/2012/09/2 ... ng-change/
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Yup exactly. Not sure why you quoted me to post that, but I think it is fairly well known around here how that played out.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

He’s (Preston) a daily reminder that we can be great. Having him around — and Bob (Hurley), with his name recognition — gets our foot in the door.
What could have been...man we had a great staff...that staff would have made this rebuild faster and better. But onward and upward...go get 'em Dan.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yeah I think it's going to be Hurley and Carr on the recruiting trail for the rest of this signing period.

Hiring the new assistant is probably on the back burner for now.
Miramfan
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Miramfan »

Iggy1979 wrote:What grade would you give Preston's recruiting take? One star, one talented but seemingly troubled player , one potential star, a role player, a handful that transferred out.
I would give him an A. He got Matthew the co-rookie, Garrett, a stud point guard, Watson a Wichita St Commit and he was really close with getting Terrell. I do think that he and DH were really good together just like peanut butter and jelly.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

So, what is the much ballyhooed Murray going to do?
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

rodfromcranston wrote:So, what is the much ballyhooed Murray going to do?
I guess you mean will he be upset when a new Assistant comes in?

Luke has a very bright future. But at 27 (I believe) I'm guessing he would still think he has more to learn/prove before he is a top Assistant or Head Coach somewhere.

ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Stripes 2 ?
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Caddyshack 3 at Alpine. [Thanks Rod]

I expect results from Murray when it comes to the 2015 class. That's what he's been working on.

Back to Alpine, maybe URI will have another preseason event there, and we can meet the new assistant.

Who knows, if we're REALLY lucky, we might even get to meet Jordan Hare.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

No, Rambone said Hurley and Carr would be handling the
recruiting for the remainder of the signing period.
I asked what Murray was going to be doing?
I don't really care who's upset at this point. As Bill Belichick
says, "Do your job."
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I hear the new Caddyshack is going to be awesome.

Bill Murray, Dan Ackroyd, Chevy Chase, and Lorne Michaels [is he still alive?] will direct.

Tiger Woods will have a cameo. The rodent? He's the brains of the outfit.

Should be a laugh riot.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

"The rodent? He's the brains of the outfit."

Can he recruit?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Solid A
Best recruiting I have seen since the Harrick years.
Landed 1 of only 2 espn 100 recruits who signed with the 13 team A10. Mathews goes on to win freshman of the year and show to be a potential nba player.
Landing Mathews helps to land Martin who also makes first team A10. Granted Mathews did not directly recruit Martin but having Mathews helped.
I very much like Hare who was a top 125 recruit. Led team in Italy with 15 points and 10 rebounds per game - tough to lose him this past season.
Involved with 4 star espn 100 Eric Davis of Saginaw Arthur hill - Jordan hare's school.

If Murphy does not warrant an A then no assistant in the A10 warrants an A either.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Well Ramster, the people seeking to ingratiate themselves
with the remaining staff or administrators, will
begin the process of revisionist history, to attempt to minimize
Preston's accomplishments.
Matthews, Watson, Garrett, Buchanan from next years team.
Also recruited Hare, and Powell to the program.
I wasn't a big fan of Powell's, but he did start for two plus years.
Hare is an incomplete, with the book not closed on him.
McCoy is a decent player, but his grades got him out of here.
Holton? Everyone knows the story.
The only flat out bust was West.
Pretty damned good batting average, I'd say.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rodfromcranston wrote:Well Ramster, the people seeking to ingratiate themselves
Rod,
I've been accused of making a mountain out of a molehill on this story, and in general I have been surprised that so many here think of this as just a bump in the road and Dan will do fine.
Consider Eric Davis and Jalen Adams both ESPN Top 60 players for the class of 2015 who we were involved with. Remember too that Preston was severely handicapped by Baron in that he was not highly respected and was in a lame duck status. I think it makes more sense to judge Murphy on EC Mathews and the guys he was involved with in the Hurley regime that in the Baron regime. Jim Christian saw it. And if it wasn't Christian it would have been some other astute head coach.
As a betting man I would put big money on Boston college turning around their basketball program quickly. Christian, Spinelli and Murphy will hit the trails hard and fast.
URI will hire someone similar in name to Murray, Carr, Tirone, etc.

I hope URI puts the $100,000 they saved to good use.

Preston Murphy was a "mountain"

"Preston Murphy" is not walking through that door.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

It will be interesting to see what type of player we can recruit now. Supposedly we are after Rashard Figures, a 3 star SG. We need a player like him for next year. He's a Jersey kid. Let's see if we can get him. I'd say we would have a much better chance if we still had Bobby Hurley and Preston Murphy. I am one who thinks that losing both of them is a huge hit to our program. Let's see.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Losing PM is a short term hit to the program no doubt.

Whether it's a long term one, all depends on the new hire.

I think Dan will hire a good recruiter, no reason to think otherwise. How good he turns out to be is the question.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

rodfromcranston wrote:Well Ramster, the people seeking to ingratiate themselves
I don't think it's ingratiating oneself with the remaining staff or administrators to say that Preston did a better job under Hurley than he did under Baron. It's fact. If you compare the players he brought in under both coaches there is no argument.

The Hurley name means something and I don't think we would have gone as far as we have with many recruits if Hurley wasn't here. Preston wouldn't have been able to close these deals on his own. Hurley made him a better recruiter.

rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The type of recruit we were going after changed when Hurley took over.

Not just athletic types, but guys with better BB IQ's. That can't be overstated enough.

Just overall better level of recruit.

I guess you could say Baron WANTED to recruit better players, but he could never seem to get that PG or big man that would make a difference. Well, Holton was a talent, but....
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

rambone 78 wrote:The type of recruit we were going after changed when Hurley took over.

Not just athletic types, but guys with better BB IQ's. That can't be overstated enough.

Just overall better level of recruit.

I guess you could say Baron WANTED to recruit better players, but he could never seem to get that PG or big man that would make a difference. Well, Holton was a talent, but....
Agreed Bone. I think the best Preston could do, for the most part, under Baron was take a chance on a kid. Potentially very good players but may have had academics or other questions. But these were the types of chances we had to take then.

Now it's a much different story. We're getting in on some can't miss recruits and other solid players. Many more doors open for us now.

Should be very attractive for next Assistant to come in here

Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

McRam wrote:If he accepted URI counter offer, he could easily be perceived as using BC to get a raise. What would his stock be down the road when another school was considering him. eg. I don't want to get involved with this guy because he used BC before to get a raise.
This is how most raises are negotiated in the workplace, especially in the coaching environment.
Go Rhody!
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Andrew wrote:
McRam wrote:If he accepted URI counter offer, he could easily be perceived as using BC to get a raise. What would his stock be down the road when another school was considering him. eg. I don't want to get involved with this guy because he used BC before to get a raise.
This is how most raises are negotiated in the workplace, especially in the coaching environment.
Dan used this kind of leverage last year. Not for his own personal benefit but for the benefit of the program.

rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Bobby and Dan may have closed the deals Preston began, but without Preston's
dogged work, this program would have nothing but a bunch of mediocre transfers,
one good four year player, and one good juco.
Not a pretty picture.
But, let the revisionism begin.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

McRam wrote:Furthermore, what do they say to a desirable new Assistant, - we will pay you now because we have to, but if you do a good job, don't expect to be taken care of unless you go through the hassle of getting another and better offer.
So I think it's worth mentioning that prior to all this, Preston Murphy was already being compensated at the top of the A10 conference's public institutions for assistants 13-14 season @ $135k. In fact, URI had two of the top three highest paid assistants (Carr at #3 @ $121k) this past season among public institutions in the A10 (data was collected via FOI requests). That said, URI, among it's peers in the A10, is very competitively compensating their assistants.

Looking at any "Associate" coaches in the A10, the top paid Associate last season earned $140k, and that was Mike Rhoades of VCU, a program with a much healthier financial situation than URI. Even if the other 4 or 5 "Associates" in the league are paid better (at the private institutions who did not participate in the report), URI still had 2 of the top 10 assistants/associates in the league last season, and at least 1 in the top 5 or better.
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Not diminishing anything Preston did but the facts re: the caliber of players we are in on and have landed under Hurley are clear. They complimented each other nicely

adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ATPTourFan wrote:
McRam wrote:Furthermore, what do they say to a desirable new Assistant, - we will pay you now because we have to, but if you do a good job, don't expect to be taken care of unless you go through the hassle of getting another and better offer.
So I think it's worth mentioning that prior to all this, Preston Murphy was already being compensated at the top of the A10 conference's public institutions for assistants 13-14 season @ $135k. In fact, URI had two of the top three highest paid assistants (Carr at #3 @ $121k) this past season among public institutions in the A10 (data was collected via FOI requests). That said, URI, among it's peers in the A10, is very competitively compensating their assistants.

Looking at any "Associate" coaches in the A10, the top paid Associate last season earned $140k, and that was Mike Rhoades of VCU, a program with a much healthier financial situation than URI. Even if the other 4 or 5 "Associates" in the league are paid better (at the private institutions who did not participate in the report), URI still had 2 of the top 10 assistants/associates in the league last season, and at least 1 in the top 5 or better.
Thank you for this ATP. Without actually having these numbers, this is exactly the point I was trying to make earlier.

Losing Preston hurts, but I honestly think URI did all they could to try and keep him around, it just didn't work out.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I don't think anyone is rewriting history here. I asked people to grade Preston's recruiting results. People are giving their opinions. I think it's correctly being pointed out that his recruiting has been much better under Hurley than Baron. Why that is, is a matter of opinion.