Mitchells, Berry, Walker, Ayo-Faleye, Betrand in 2022 portal / transferring

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: Malik, Leggett, Berry, Walker, Ayo-Faleye, Betrand in 2022 portal

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 2 years ago Does anyone read the Recruitment Corner anymore or am I waisting my time posting?
I read it. I love the recruiting prospects and possibilities.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago My thoughts are Martin, Leggett, Berry and Walker all entered the portal before Archie was hired. The other 2 today. In my mind the first four are more likely to come back than the other 2 because they entered the portal before Archie was hired. I have to think Ayo-Faleye and Bertrand met with Archie before entering the portal and are more likely gone.

Or that’s what makes most logical sense.
Give me Malik and Walker out of that group and that's it.

Malik, Walker, Bassy, Carey and the twins

Get us some shooters and an Indiana dude and we gravy
I like Makhel. The rest would be off the bench on my team. Cmon, we had 1 guy score double digits this year. 1.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

KevanBoyles wrote: 2 years ago Does anyone read the Recruitment Corner anymore or am I waisting my time posting?
That used to be my favorite page to read in the Hurley days and the first two years Cox was here as head coach. I stopped reading due to a combination of how bad the team was and also the fact that freshman were not as big an impact as they had been in the past with the transfer portal. I think with Archie taking over and all the positions we have to fill this will be a very popular site over the next 4-5 months!
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I agree with many of you. I’d be curious to see how the Mitchell’s, Malik, Walker, Carey, Bassy and one of Leggett or Betrand (fully healthy) could do with a couple of pieces added (a good floor general point guard, a knock-down shooter and a solid rebounder/defender) with Archie and staff.

That said, I have full confidence coach will do what’s best for the players and their futures while also molding and finding the talent to fit his offensive and defensive philosophies. Can’t wait to watch it all come together! Let’s go!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago I get kids wanting to test the waters and see what shakes out but the ones that entered the portal actually reduced their options. Now Archie can say well you opted out and that’s probably best. Like it opened them up to have a door closed versus not making a move for a week and seeing what happened. Then having a convo and making a decision. I assume he is addressing whatever is left of the team tonight.
Yeah that’s a good point some of these kids could have at least waited til tomorrow to put their name in the portal don’t see the need to rush
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Part of me wants all of them to stay, just to know if the current roster does have enough talent and if it was solely coaching that made this team fail. I would be interesting to know if they would do better with better coaching (probably at least a somewhat yes) or if they simply don't have enough talent. My guess is a combination of both. But either way, it won't matter much. We have Archie and if the current players and Archie see a mutual benefit to staying they will stay. If not, no hard feelings and best of luck.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

My take is that the roster was not devoid of what could have been high-end A10 talent in the right situation. But it was devoid of enough particular elements that it also had a ceiling - it wasn’t a very well constructed roster, is what I’m saying. And I’m sure it could have been coached a little better but I think it was doomed to some degree from the start because of how it was put together. Bringing back all of the players could work if the remaining holes are filled with guys that perfectly provide what the team was lacking - namely playmaking and shot making from the backcourt - and some guys are prepared to take reduced roles. I kind of doubt that everyone is back though - will be easier to make up the deficiencies by bringing in more players.
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I don't see URI making the tournament until at least year 3 of Miller's tenure. That said, there is no one on the current roster who will be a key player in 3 years. There are several current players who can contribute in the interim.
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago I don't see URI making the tournament until at least year 3 of Miller's tenure. That said, there is no one on the current roster who will be a key player in 3 years. There are several current players who can contribute in the interim.
Nobody saw Iowa St making the Sweet 16 a year after goin 2-22, with both those wins coming against Arkansas-Pine Bluff and Jackson St.
Go Rhody
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago Part of me wants all of them to stay, just to know if the current roster does have enough talent and if it was solely coaching that made this team fail. I would be interesting to know if they would do better with better coaching (probably at least a somewhat yes) or if they simply don't have enough talent. My guess is a combination of both. But either way, it won't matter much. We have Archie and if the current players and Archie see a mutual benefit to staying they will stay. If not, no hard feelings and best of luck.
Zero percent chance that I want all these guys to stay. Did you watch this team shoot and turn the ball over. Horrible offense. Could Miller improve them? No doubt, but this collection of players is never getting close to the NCAA tournament if John Wooden was coaching. Let him bring in his own players and keep the few that stay. I’m actually concerned that too many might come back now.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago I don't see URI making the tournament until at least year 3 of Miller's tenure. That said, there is no one on the current roster who will be a key player in 3 years. There are several current players who can contribute in the interim.
Some recent thoughts from Friar72

1. We have to extend David Cox because you have experience hiring people... Cox underachieves and gets let go
2. You spoke with Jerry Maguire, and Rhody was not going after any big names for their next head coach.. Instead, we landed one of the best coaches available.
3. Now this new one... Rhody won't make the tournament until at least year 3..

I'm very excited that you made this prediction because the complete opposite typically happens.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

1. We have to extend David Cox because you have experience hiring people... Cox underachieves and gets let go
2. You spoke with Jerry Maguire, and Rhody was not going after any big names for their next head coach.. Instead, we landed one of the best coaches available.

I'm very excited that you made this prediction because the complete opposite typically happens.

I will say though, it isn't out of the realm that we don't make the tourney until year 3.

Quick turnarounds have happened obviously, but it's not outlandish to think/say it won't happen for a few years.
Go Rhody
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

I think year 3 reasonable. We didn’t have any all a10 players this year. It isn’t a total rebuild like the Hurley era but it is going to take a few years. I hope we get lucky and it happens earlier but i am not expecting it. Definitely could happen with a coach of this caliber and reputation.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

come on

Rhody dances next year

and remember - ECR is rarely wrong - i predicted archie afterall

we will get key players off the portal and dance next year

book your tickets. book it.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 2 years ago come on

Rhody dances next year

With “Portal Palooza” (sorry poach from 208) “Anything is possible!!!!!!”

Time to Win

Let’s go Rhody

Thanks for thinking big President Parlange, Thorr and boosters!
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

I will say though, it isn't out of the realm that we don't make the tourney until year 3.

Quick turnarounds have happened obviously, but it's not outlandish to think/say it won't happen for a few years.
Totally. I don't want this fanbase to have unrealistic expectations. This is going to take some time.. I just like to mess around with our friar troll more than anything. He's probably right about it taking 3 years.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Archie needs to find better guards.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago Archie needs to find better guards.
I'm totally amazed that some people want our entire roster back with a starting backcourt of Carey and Thomas or Ish?... At best decent role pieces but we need a massive upgrade at the guard position. Luckily we have an absolute stud for a head coach in Archie MIller who has a track record of landing some talented guards.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Anything can happen look at Iowa St 2-22 last year to a Sweet 16 with a new coach

Let’s let Arch construct the roster and then results will follow
TrevlontRook3
Steve Chubin

Unread post by TrevlontRook3 »

Good with losing everyone. Haters get lost
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

I'm good with keeping whoever Archie thinks can play for him, losing anyone who Archie doesn't think is a fit, and trusting whoever Archie brings in.

This isn't some wet-behind-the-ears, prove it to the fanbase coach.

This is an established pro. You'll get no questions from me, just unconditional, fanboy support.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago I'm good with keeping whoever Archie thinks can play for him, losing anyone who Archie doesn't think is a fit, and trusting whoever Archie brings in.

This isn't some wet-behind-the-ears, prove it to the fanbase coach.

This is an established pro. You'll get no questions from me, just unconditional, fanboy support.
This.

Is it likely we rebound and make the tournament next year? No. Do I doubt Miller's ability to pull it off? Also no

Look, there's talent in the group from this past year, I do think Cox started losing the room they lost a couple games and the team packed it in. Despite that 15-16 is not an impossible starting point for a quick turnaround.
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

As I've said for the past 25+ years, this is the best time of the year for posters on this board. I recall the posts on how quickly DH would return us to the dance. It didn't happen to year 4. With the transfer portal, it could happen faster. I could see how Harrick and Hurley were pied pipers for attracting top players, Miller has been a successful coach, but I'm not sure whether it has been him or the programs he has led,
NCAAs or Bust!
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago As I've said for the past 25+ years, this is the best time of the year for posters on this board. I recall the posts on how quickly DH would return us to the dance. It didn't happen to year 4. With the transfer portal, it could happen faster. I could see how Harrick and Hurley were pied pipers for attracting top players, Miller has been a successful coach, but I'm not sure whether it has been him or the programs he has led,
It's been him.

My God you're the worst.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Rhody72 wrote: 2 years ago As I've said for the past 25+ years, this is the best time of the year for posters on this board. I recall the posts on how quickly DH would return us to the dance. It didn't happen to year 4. With the transfer portal, it could happen faster. I could see how Harrick and Hurley were pied pipers for attracting top players, Miller has been a successful coach, but I'm not sure whether it has been him or the programs he has led,
I'll help you out...he is the program
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 years ago Archie needs to find better guards.
I think you are on the right track with this comment. College basketball is still a guard dominant game, IMHO. I think though, there are a few guards on the team, if they stay, have the potential and years remaining to succeed in the style of play Archie will install.

Those guards ( Bassy, Carey or Leggett ) will need to greatly improve their handle, passing ( I’m not talking about the flashy pass; I’m talking about the right pass that put their teammates in the best place to score based on their teammates strengths ), their shooting, their ability to score at the rim with contact, their defense and their basketball IQ.

It’s a big ask for them to make that jump but I think coach Millier has the ability to get it out of them enough to be contributors on a winning team (FYI - I don’t consider Malik or Betrand guards ).

We shall see. Excited to see what happens!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Put me in the In Arch we trust camp , he will get us where we want to be
steviep123
Sly Williams

Agreed - I'm happy with whatever Miller decides with the roster. For any one of them, if there's a mutual benefit for them remaining it will happen. I only mentioned I was curious how they all would be under Miller, but that doesn't mean I think it's for the best. In Miller we trust.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody dances next year

ECR is right

We just need a lil Miller magic and we'll movin and groovin next month

Keep the twins and Walker

Get some guards we gon be toughhhh!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

He has two spots to work with even if everyone stays. I hope no one who wants to stay is pushed out.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

ace wrote: 2 years ago He has two spots to work with even if everyone stays. I hope no one who wants to stay is pushed out.
While I can get behind the logic, this program is on the younger side which would handcuff Archie’s roadmap a bit.

Under this scenario you only have 2 scholarships to work with this year and then only another 2 next year.

Now I’m sure there will be at least a little more turnover than that, but potentially hard to turn things around fast without many of his own guys
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I totally agree. It really sucks that Thorr missed the golden opportunity of having Tammi coach the mens and womens basketball team. Now we have a coach that hasn’t proven a thing. He’s just lucky he’s had so much success. I think Thorr really dropped the ball by not having you interview the head coaching candidates.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I think you're way wrong (my opinion). This coach has the name, connections, skills, and the portal...NCAAT from the get-go.
Year 1. I can't even imagine a world where Arch is in his 3rd year here and hasn't NCAAT'd it already...preposterous.

Expecting it right off the bat. Won't be crushed if it doesn't happen year 1, I guess, but expecting it. Really need to take advantage of this free agency period. Loved what someone said earlier about being the lure of being able to get unlimited PT and be part of a great thing....let's get those rumors flying.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

oh, it is happening on year 1

Buckle up boys … buckle up !
steviep123
Sly Williams

Rhody Sody wrote: 2 years ago I think year 3 reasonable. We didn’t have any all a10 players this year. It isn’t a total rebuild like the Hurley era but it is going to take a few years. I hope we get lucky and it happens earlier but i am not expecting it. Definitely could happen with a coach of this caliber and reputation.
I figured it out - R72 must be Jim Donaldson. He's the only one on Twitter that doesn't think Miller is a good hire.
Bleed Keaney Blue!

NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RamStock wrote: 2 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago Part of me wants all of them to stay, just to know if the current roster does have enough talent and if it was solely coaching that made this team fail. I would be interesting to know if they would do better with better coaching (probably at least a somewhat yes) or if they simply don't have enough talent. My guess is a combination of both. But either way, it won't matter much. We have Archie and if the current players and Archie see a mutual benefit to staying they will stay. If not, no hard feelings and best of luck.
Zero percent chance that I want all these guys to stay. Did you watch this team shoot and turn the ball over. Horrible offense. Could Miller improve them? No doubt, but this collection of players is never getting close to the NCAA tournament if John Wooden was coaching. Let him bring in his own players and keep the few that stay. I’m actually concerned that too many might come back now.
So many questions
If a guy enters the portal...just because he says he's keeping Rhody as an open option...the coach would still have to want him to come back, right? It's not like, dude can enter the portal, but then opt out and 'decide to stay after all'? I mean, you're tossing your scholly back up for grabs, when you portal it, right? Is saying that your orig school is still a possibility a new thing? Is that just a prayer that, if they hire a good coach, maybe he'll want you? Has anyone ever said, I'm entering the portal, looking to go to Anyplace But Here U?

Be interesting to see, not just here, but overall, how many return to their original..

ETA: Ill AF...we hardly knew ya....
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody dances next year

ECR! Just catching up on the thread. I'm totally with you. Next year, we dance.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 2 years ago

Totally. I don't want this fanbase to have unrealistic expectations. This is going to take some time.. I just like to mess around with our friar troll more than anything. He's probably right about it taking 3 years.
No. He isn't. Believe.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 2 years ago Put me in the In Arch we trust camp , he will get us where we want to be
Exactly, no sense fretting about who leaves...he'll have here who he wants here and will be wildly successful. Great time to be alive.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago
Rhody Sody wrote: 2 years ago I think year 3 reasonable. We didn’t have any all a10 players this year. It isn’t a total rebuild like the Hurley era but it is going to take a few years. I hope we get lucky and it happens earlier but i am not expecting it. Definitely could happen with a coach of this caliber and reputation.
I figured it out - R72 must be Jim Donaldson. He's the only one on Twitter that doesn't think Miller is a good hire.
That’s some excellent speculation, right there! That would be great! 🤣 Hi there, Jimmy! 🤣
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
reef wrote: 2 years ago Put me in the In Arch we trust camp , he will get us where we want to be
Exactly, no sense fretting about who leaves...he'll have here who he wants here and will be wildly successful. Great time to be alive.
Yes indeed 208 the future is indeed very bright
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

I think that players CAN have their schollies not renewed if a new coach is hired.

I’m with Ace, in that anyone who WANTS to stay (whether they portaled or not) will hopefully not be tossed away.

Knowing Thorr, I don’t imagine anything like that happening.

If AM wants a kid’s ride to give to someone else, I would think we (URI) would help them find a suitable place. And if none exists, that we will pick up the tab for at least the next year.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago I figured it out - R72 must be Jim Donaldson. He's the only one on Twitter that doesn't think Miller is a good hire.
???
1628BB90-3DD7-443D-8076-850073785C49.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Donaldson is KMac's evil twin.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

KingstonLane wrote: 2 years ago
ace wrote: 2 years ago He has two spots to work with even if everyone stays. I hope no one who wants to stay is pushed out.
While I can get behind the logic, this program is on the younger side which would handcuff Archie’s roadmap a bit.

Under this scenario you only have 2 scholarships to work with this year and then only another 2 next year.

Now I’m sure there will be at least a little more turnover than that, but potentially hard to turn things around fast without many of his own guys
I agree. Why would we want all these players back? Miller isn't a magician. This wasn't a talented bunch. He wants his own players in his own system which will take a couple of years to establish. If the Twins, Thomas, Carey and maybe Samb stay I think that would be more than enough guys and Miller can go both the transfer portal route and also see if he can get a couple recruits. If you had seniors with one year left that could act as a bridge or gap until he could get the players that he wanted in than that would be one thing, but to keep these guys that have several years left doesn't seem like the way to go. They decided to enter the transfer portal and we should probably wish them luck and help them find a new school.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I understand the spirit of “his guys,” but the day a coach accepts a new job, those players are his. They chose the school he is going to.

I just hope everyone who is fine with kicking guys out who want to stay keeps the same energy if a talented player ever chooses to leave their team, regardless of who recruited them- wish them well and hope they find a good landing place.
steviep123
Sly Williams

rhodyrudder wrote: 2 years ago
steviep123 wrote: 2 years ago I figured it out - R72 must be Jim Donaldson. He's the only one on Twitter that doesn't think Miller is a good hire.
???1628BB90-3DD7-443D-8076-850073785C49.jpeg
I didn’t see that tweet but did see this one:

Maybe I put my own spin on it but not the ringing endorsement
Bleed Keaney Blue!

ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

To be fair, I hope the same thing. But, it’s annoying when people seem to say or write something just to get a reaction.
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

ace wrote: 2 years ago

I understand the spirit of “his guys,” but the day a coach accepts a new job, those players are his. They chose the school he is going to.

I just hope everyone who is fine with kicking guys out who want to stay keeps the same energy if a talented player ever chooses to leave their team, regardless of who recruited them- wish them well and hope they find a good landing place.
It’s a very fine balance. And extremely unique in this case because so many of the players already willingly put themselves in the transfer portal. I’m not like other posters here who would banish them for doing so, I think they did the right thing considering the uncertainty of the next head coach. But by a technical measure I think that does give Archie flexibility on who he chooses to “bring back”.

This new transfer landscape is going to take a lot of getting used to. Plenty of good and bad that will come from it.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

RamStock wrote: 2 years ago

I agree. Why would we want all these players back? Miller isn't a magician. This wasn't a talented bunch. He wants his own players in his own system which will take a couple of years to establish. If the Twins, Thomas, Carey and maybe Samb stay I think that would be more than enough guys and Miller can go both the transfer portal route and also see if he can get a couple recruits. If you had seniors with one year left that could act as a bridge or gap until he could get the players that he wanted in than that would be one thing, but to keep these guys that have several years left doesn't seem like the way to go. They decided to enter the transfer portal and we should probably wish them luck and help them find a new school.
I am with Ace and okay with all returning.

Realistically, I can maybe see half of them coming back.
Walker and Martin will only have 1 more year of eligibility and their leadership should help.
Would really like to see what AB can do, we only had a very small sample size.

Ish was a strong Cox HS recruit, so he may stay in the portal.

Ileri and Tres, I have no idea what to expect from them.

Like I said earlier, I still expect about 4-7 openings, which would give Archie a chance to put a little mark on this roster and not have a total rebuild.

Looking at the A10 this season as it sits now, I am sticking with a 5-6 finish (for now) as my prediction.
Of course, that can change as the off-season progresses.