A10 Outlook for 2022-23

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: A10 Outlook for 2022-23

Unread post by bigappleram »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago

Now that the roster is locked in I'm with you.

Wasn't sure there for a while. Looked very developmental.

Considering how good our coaching staff is, especially how well they coach defense, the guys we kept on the roster, talent and expereince at guard and size in the frontcourt, we compete easily.

This does feel like early Dan, but fastforward to year 3 with Dan. I think these guys have a bubble team ceiling.

Strongly disagree about Loyola. I watched them a lot last year and their style of play was virtually the same under Valentine. He can coach. Dude won't have a problem getting players there either. Loyola is very likely going to compete for a league title immediately. I mean, if they were in the A-10 last year they probably win the regular season title over Davidson. They just play great defense, shoot the ball well and have athletes. I'll be shocked if they struggle in the A-10.
Dan Year 3 had 2 bona fide future All Conference talents (Hass and EC) and a very highly regarded FR (JT). This squad, at least right now, doesn't have any of that. Not sure that's a fair comparison. Guys like Weston and Harris obv have that potential but there is just no evidence to say its a definite. At this point in Dan's tenure you knew Hass and EC were cornerstone players. And that Jared was going to be a star.
I tend to agree. But I do think this feels like the NIT Hurley team as a ceiling, with an A10 tourney run/birth if we get hot in Brooklyn isn't out of the question.

I think this is the best top-to-bottom coaching staff we've ever had. And to your point about cornerstone players - EC was a soph coming off all-rookie team honors, like Bray. Terrell was a Freshman - Brandon Harris is a "soph" with a similar high school ranking out of HS.

Now obviously this team will be built different than the 2015 NIT team without someone like Hass (but we do have his brother), but Ant Harris is senior aged and has seen a lot, just has lacked opportunity.

When you look at that 2015 Rhody team - Jarvis/Jared/EC/Hass/Gil, I think this team is a good comparison with Bray/Weston/Harris/Martin/TBD. I also think this URI team has more depth/experience coming off the bench with Ish/Carey probably seeing significant minutes at the 1/2/3.

If healthy, Bray/Harris/Weston have a solid chance at being one of, if not the best, backcourt in the conference. Size and projected talent.

Obviously none of that matters until they actually play together and if they develop, but I'm all in.
I agree in terms of the quality of the staff...top to bottom it's prob the best we have ever had. Harrick and Farmer were a formidable twosome. Dan's last couple staffs were pretty strong but with Kenny and Duane and an accomplished / established head coach like Archie this is overall a top class staff.

I don't disagree that NIT is a possible ceiling but if we get to that point then Archie will proven to be an even better coach than I already think he is. We will have to leapfrog a bunch of programs to do so.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Blue Man »

Dan Year 3 had 2 bona fide future All Conference talents (Hass and EC) and a very highly regarded FR (JT). This squad, at least right now, doesn't have any of that. Not sure that's a fair comparison. Guys like Weston and Harris obv have that potential but there is just no evidence to say its a definite. At this point in Dan's tenure you knew Hass and EC were cornerstone players. And that Jared was going to be a star.
I tend to agree. But I do think this feels like the NIT Hurley team as a ceiling, with an A10 tourney run/birth if we get hot in Brooklyn isn't out of the question.

I think this is the best top-to-bottom coaching staff we've ever had. And to your point about cornerstone players - EC was a soph coming off all-rookie team honors, like Bray. Terrell was a Freshman - Brandon Harris is a "soph" with a similar high school ranking out of HS.

Now obviously this team will be built different than the 2015 NIT team without someone like Hass (but we do have his brother), but Ant Harris is senior aged and has seen a lot, just has lacked opportunity.

When you look at that 2015 Rhody team - Jarvis/Jared/EC/Hass/Gil, I think this team is a good comparison with Bray/Weston/Harris/Martin/TBD. I also think this URI team has more depth/experience coming off the bench with Ish/Carey probably seeing significant minutes at the 1/2/3.

If healthy, Bray/Harris/Weston have a solid chance at being one of, if not the best, backcourt in the conference. Size and projected talent.

Obviously none of that matters until they actually play together and if they develop, but I'm all in.
I agree in terms of the quality of the staff...top to bottom it's prob the best we have ever had. Harrick and Farmer were a formidable twosome. Dan's last couple staffs were pretty strong but with Kenny and Duane and an accomplished / established head coach like Archie this is overall a top class staff.

I don't disagree that NIT is a possible ceiling but if we get to that point then Archie will proven to be an even better coach than I already think he is. We will have to leapfrog a bunch of programs to do so.
Kenny was making $750k/year at Louisville. Once he succeeds here and the implications around him wear off, we're going to need to find a new level of commitment to retain him.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Speaking of the staff, I don't know what this award is based on, but could we be underestimating Austin Carroll?

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yes
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I will be pretty shocked if we make the NIT in year 1 but if we somehow do this enjoyable ride will get off to an amazing start
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

What’s the assistants salary pool now? Around 750,000?
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

ace wrote: 2 years ago What’s the assistants salary pool now? Around 750,000?
That's exactly what it is.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 years ago Speaking of the staff, I don't know what this award is based on, but could we be underestimating Austin Carroll?

There are roughly eighty (80) coaches in that press release. (I didn't individually count them all, but, seemed like there were two per page down, and I hit "page down" 40 times.) The art of evaluating assistant coaches - from the perspective of an outsider with no knowledge of how practices, workouts, instruction, scouting and recruiting are really broken down - is probably downright impossible for us. I think it's a positive sign that Archie decided to keep Austin, but if you asked me to like make a Top 10, a Top 25 of the assistant coaches we've had in the past 20 years, it would be a tough task once I got past the guys who got head coaching positions or went on to bigger schools.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Unbelievable! In the purest meaning of the word, truly unbelievable for this program. That is the kind of stuff to get hyped about :) They can bring in high level after high level assistant, no matter who might leave, and not have to lose a step.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

ace wrote: 2 years ago
Unbelievable! In the purest meaning of the word, truly unbelievable for this program. That is the kind of stuff to get hyped about :) They can bring in high level after high level assistant, no matter who might leave, and not have to lose a step.
It was a shock to us as well.

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ace wrote: 2 years ago
Yes gotta love the committment finally made to mens hoop !!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Way Too Early A10 Predictions:
https://heatcheckcbb.com/way-too-early- ... team-more/

They have us picked 10th.

Sleeper Team - GM
Breakout Player - Nunn (VCU)
Top Freshman - Billups (VCU)
Best Transfer - Pickett (SLU)
POY - Perkins (SLU)

I don't agree with all his predictions, he previously covered college basketball for Sporting News.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Fair enough.
Slava Ukraini!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

If we finish 10th, I will question Archie Miller as head coach. Not a chance.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

:roll: :roll: :roll:
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Strange write-up for Rhody, but any brief summary is going to be kind of lazy at this point. All it did was talk about the starters they lost without mentioning that they weren’t good with those starters anyway. So, not really a loss?
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Yeah apparently the only player we added was Brayon Freeman lol
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Way Too Early A10 Predictions:

Sleeper Team - GM
POY - Perkins (SLU)

I don't agree with all his predictions, he previously covered college basketball for Sporting News.
Heatcheck needs to get their heads checked. They bring up EA and the twins as if they are losses. They talk about other teams' impactful transfers but leave out Ant and Weston? I feel like every offseason I hear how good the A10 will be and then we end up with 2 teams. I hope this season is different. Dayton and St Louis are in a league of their own. VCU is probably in that tier as well. After that, I think we can make some noise.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Good bulletin board material for the freshman and new faces - including the coaches, too. Get a good ole chip on the shoulder and stick it back in their faces.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 2 years ago If we finish 10th, I will question Archie Miller as head coach. Not a chance.
Archie Miller finished 11th in the A10 in his second season at Dayton.

I think it’s safe to say he had success after that season.

Now I don’t think we finish 10th or lower next year, but it’s not like Archie hasn’t finished low in conference play.

He also finished 10th twice while at Indiana.
Last edited by Rhody15 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago

Sleeper Team - GM
POY - Perkins (SLU)

Heatcheck needs to get their heads checked. They bring up EA and the twins as if they are losses. They talk about other teams' impactful transfers but leave out Ant and Weston? I feel like every offseason I hear how good the A10 will be and then we end up with 2 teams. I hope this season is different. Dayton and St Louis are in a league of their own. VCU is probably in that tier as well. After that, I think we can make some noise.
Yes Stevey a disappointing write-up on Rhody, lacking detail and insight.

I am really looking forward to this season and how this team comes together, because I have no idea what to expect from us.
Aside of course that they will be well coached, play up-tempo, and an aggressive defense.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Sleeper Team - GM
POY - Perkins (SLU)

ha
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

I bet SLU finishes 5th because they shoot 43% from the foul line.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago I bet SLU finishes 5th because they shoot 43% from the foul line.
what?
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Going out on a limb but I’m predicting that the A10 will finish in alphabetical order. Makes about as much sense as any other prediction.
Slava Ukraini!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody74 wrote: 2 years ago Going out on a limb but I’m predicting that the A10 will finish in alphabetical order. Makes about as much sense as any other prediction.
That sounds like my wife. :)
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago I bet SLU finishes 5th because they shoot 43% from the foul line.
what?
SLU has had a number of teams that can't even hit the rim at the foul line.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

what?
SLU as a team shot a very respectable 76% FT in 21-22.

They are going to be really good this season.
They have 2 of the best players in the conference in Yuri and Perkins.
Not even counting top scorer Jimerson (16 pts) and center Okoro (11 pts/8 rebs).
Plus Thatch (11 pts/6 rebs conference play) and top transfer Pickett (11 pts, Missouri).

Actually I think they have more firepower and a better roster than Dayton.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

what?

Not even counting top scorer Jimerson (16 pts) and center Okoro (11 pts/8 rebs).
Plus Thatch (11 pts/6 rebs conference play) and top transfer Pickett (11 pts, Missouri).

St Louis led the A10 in FT% while URI was dead last.

St. Louis finished 27th in Nation out of 350 teams in FT%

URI finished 349th in Nation out of 350 teams in FT%
98C4F792-13EE-4677-8A90-6941F3F0DA34.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Blue Man wrote: 2 years ago 1) SLU
2) Dayton
3) Richmond
4) VCU
5) URI
6) George Mason
7) Davidson
8) Loyola

Everyone else.
Blueman you are more optimistic than me but I would be ecstatic if you are correct.

Looking at the rosters for 22-23, I would put GM and Davidson ahead of us.

Also Lunardi has Loyola/Chicago as a bubble team, they have an all-conference guard and added some nice pieces including BE PF/C Bryce Golden.

Don't sleep on UMass and GW either.

If I were to guess, we would finish somewhere around 7-10, depending on how favorable our in-conference schedule is.
We have so many unknowns which makes it very difficult to predict.
Our new players, which have very little or no Div. 1 experience, would really need to step up and have an immediate impact.
Bray is probably the exception and maybe the only certain starter at this time, although I can see Archie going with some of our returnees.
I think I'm almost being too bullish on Mason since yes, they return a lot, but they still had a losing record in conference and overall. I think everyone is just overrating them because they over-performed relative to where they normally finish.

Davidson always finds a way, but they lose so much of their production next year. I could see them finishing 3rd or 10th.

I'm not a believer in Loyola. Porter Moser ain't walking through that door. If we get seeded different in 2018, we'd have ended their run 2 rounds earlier and they're not a name brand. Last year their best wins were bad P5 teams, and they scored 41 points in an NCAA game. They will not be some juggernaut in the A10. They're an MVC team. I'll be blown away if they finish higher than 6.

UMass will be a wild one. Martin is another one of those coaches who is good but not good? Like I love him, I hate that he's at UMass because I hate them but love him. Who knows how fast he can cobble together a bunch of pieces. Like he always landed NBA-level talent but it seemed like they underperformed by and large.

But I agree - ton of unknowns. I compare this to an early Hurley team - looking at defense as a leader which will keep us in a lot more games.

Archie is different than Dan in that he plays a system and Dan just gets his guys to be animals in a man-to-man d.

But - why I'm incredibly optimistic is that I believe defense will keep us in games, but Archie has said over and over that our calling card will be shooting. He'll be recruiting shooters. We have a major talent upgrade coming in, and most importantly an all-conference PG leading it.

I get the tempered expectations, especially after all we've been through. But I'm not tempering shit. I think we're going to be back in a big way. Immediately.
I wonder if we're one of the cases where the offense will be ahead of the defense in a rebuild, as opposed to defense first like people are assuming. I think we'll see growing pains in the implementation of the pack line defense but players will find the up tempo offense more freeing and instinctual
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Kenny was making $750k/year at Louisville. Once he succeeds here and the implications around him wear off, we're going to need to find a new level of commitment to retain him.
I don't think it will be a question of being able to up the salary to retain him, he should be looking at head coaching positions at that point
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

The Twins are gone so expect us to be in the middle of the pack on FT %
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

The Bonnies just added Anquan Hill (6'9").
Last season was the NEC Rookie of the Year.

They only return 3 from last season's roster (2 RFr, 1 Soph).
They added 8 transfers and freshmen recruits.
Major rebuilding year for Scmidt, low expectations for 22-23.

https://gobonnies.com/news/2022/6/9/hil ... d-mbb.aspx
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 2 years ago

Yeah they were good for basically one season. I'm just making fun of Saint Louis lol. They've had several horrible FT shooting teams and it has severely costed them in the very recent past, so it makes sense I can still make fun of them for that.

So many of you take everything way too literally.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Bart Torvick ratings, based on early Kenpom rankings.
#35 - Dayton
#39 - SLU
#51 - Loyola/Chicago (surprising)
#76 - VCU
#101 - Richmond
#102 - Davidson
#109 - GM
#123 - URI
#141 - UMass

I think Dayton and SLU will both finish higher nationally and VCU should be ahead of Loyola.

Who knows, all total guesswork and speculation at this point.
Dayton and SLU will obviously lead the way in the A10.

https://barttorvik.com/
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I’ll eat my computer if LaSalle and Fordham finish ahead of St Bonaventure as these rankings suggest
EE340CF1-8A40-4565-8078-C193FBD53FB7.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I could see Fordham finishing ahead of Bonaventure. I'm not sure I could see La Salle finishing ahead of *anyone* aside from maybe Duquesne and St. Joe's.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Loyola playing conference games in the A10 will be interesting.
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago I’ll eat my computer if LaSalle and Fordham finish ahead of St Bonaventure as these rankings suggest

Ramster, Fordham won't be terrible.
They finished 8th last season, probable starters:
Quisenberry (G) - top scorer 16 pts.
Rose (G) - Returning starter
Charleton (G/Wing) - Returning starter
Moore (F) - Started 30 games last season at Georgia Tech, career average 8 pts in the ACC.
Tsimbila (PF/C) - Started 17 games last season.

Don't sleep on UMass
4 probable solid starters: Fernandes (G), Weeks (G), Leveque (C), Cross (F).
Plus, some other recruits and transfers

Or GW for that matter.
Also 4 decent starters: Bishop (G), Adams (G), Lindo (PF), Dean (C).
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

The A10 has some potentially good teams this coming season and a very good lineup of coaches. It’s time for the conference to start making hay in the OOC schedule in the coming seasons and get back to making some noise in the tourney.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago I’ll eat my computer if LaSalle and Fordham finish ahead of St Bonaventure as these rankings suggest

I feel like St. joes program had a quick fall from Grace and has been scraping rock bottom for some time now. Will be interesting to see if they can get their program back on track.
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

SandorClegane wrote: 2 years ago

I feel like St. joes program had a quick fall from Grace and has been scraping rock bottom for some time now. Will be interesting to see if they can get their program back on track.
It's what they deserve for believing they could get someone better than Frankenstein.

Billy Lange has his guys play pretty smart basketball, but the talent level is severely lacking and it seems like it's getting worse.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Imho, The St Joe’s AD should have had a better succession plan in place. Just my observation from a distance and not being privy to all the info.
Blue Man
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 years ago

Imho, The St Joe’s AD should have had a better succession plan in place. Just my observation from a distance and not being privy to all the info.
I hated St Joes but I had a begrudging respect for Martelli. Guy was a legend. Had some great teams. Gave us fits.

F this new AD. She's not well liked, was a classic "agenda fitting" candidate rather than someone who was qualified.

She came from legal compliance at ND - so you know she's a blast at parties. Somehow legal compliance turned into an admin/legal role supporting women's basketball. So naturally, she was qualified to be an AD at St Joes.

Her first thing was to leave her mark by firing a legend, thinking she could hire talent, and then not recognizing when it wasn't working and not wanting to admit her mistake.

Schools that hire that way deserve the worst, and I hope Joes stays in the basement below Fordham.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

2022-23 will be the final season George Washington teams will be known as the Colonials, they will be unveiling a new moniker in time for the 2023-24 season:

https://gwtoday.gwu.edu/gw-discontinue- ... ls-moniker

Honestly, Colonials always felt like a weird thing to call the George Washington teams. Colonial: a native or inhabitant of a colony. George Washington seemed pretty dead set on not being a colonial. Fought a war and everything to stop being one
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Renaming things because of 19 year olds said so is sad. I live in a colonial house, not afraid to say it.
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Thank you for your bravery and courage, I can't imagine the immense pressure you must have felt putting that on the internet.

You do know there's a massive difference between describing a colonial house and George Washington University using Colonials as a mascot, right? For instance, one describes a time period in our nation's history and one equates George Washington with literally the thing he helped destroy. Using Colonials as a mascot for George Washington University never made sense, so this is the right move even if the process to get here was poor
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley