2/2 | Fordham | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: 2/2 | Fordham | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

It’s not the logic (or maybe it is) but it’s the promised minutes and politics.

I’ll add I agree with the article BECAUSE ITS INCREDIBLY OBVIOUS TO CHANGE THE LINEUP.
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 2 years ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 years ago
section(105) wrote: 2 years ago …….gotta ask, he refers to “junk” defenses……is here referring to box and 1, diamond and 1, triangle and 2……if so, at this level, recognize and adjust offense…….no?
There are only two kinds of defense. Man to man and 2-1-2 zone. Everything else is a junk defense.
?????? In the CYO league?
Or, if you coach a D1 hoops team in Kingston?
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 2 years ago
section(105) wrote: 2 years ago …….gotta ask, he refers to “junk” defenses……is here referring to box and 1, diamond and 1, triangle and 2……if so, at this level, recognize and adjust offense…….no?
There are only two kinds of defense. Man to man and 2-1-2 zone. Everything else is a junk defense.
………don’t think Coach Jim Boheim would agree……..
...don't think he's on the Rhody bench either...
I'm saying, it looks like the Rams look like they are seeing a junk defense if it's not mtm or 2-1-2. Have you seen anything that makes you think different?
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

bigappleram wrote: 2 years ago Chris D throwing out the Thomas, Sheppard, El Amin back court as a combo that should be used. Wholeheartedly agree. Add Walker and Makhel and you surround a defensive minded Center and a pass first PG with your 3 best outside shooters. That’s setting up Thomas for success vs putting him out there with Malik, both twins and Ish none of who u need to guard past 10-15 feet. It’s not that hard ! We literally have nothing to lose by making that our starting lineup next game. I don’t get the idea of trotting out the same lineup when clearly something isn’t working.
100% agree. The ole definition of insanity. Or in this case, maybe just sheer stupidity.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Of course, we all know that who starts is usually not as important as who finishes-

And we all know that both el Amin and Thomas we’re on the bench during the last 3:of the Fordham game.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I'm saying, it looks like the Rams look like they are seeing a junk defense if it's not mtm or 2-1-2. Have you seen anything that makes you think different?
……..I was referring to the Syracuse 2-3 defense that Boheim has solely used for many many many years…….
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago After ragging on the need for Thomas to improve his shooting for the week, it's good to see him hit 3 open shots. Kind of like KingstonLane though, it's not like I'm going to pretend that we suddenly have the solution to our point guard woes - he had three turnovers, only two assists, and only took four shots without getting to the FT line. It would be nice to see him combine this line with the previous game's line, but this is a step in the right direction. On a night that Leggett and Sheppard combined to shoot 2-for-14, I don't know why Thomas wasn't finishing the game out.

I went to the WBB Game and tbh just last night watched the replay of the Fordham game after having read the Game Thread and seen the media commentary.

Amazing we were down to Fordham by 19 with 15 minutes left in the game. Points scored from that point for URI:

Score URI 24 - Fordham 43
14:52 - Carey 3
13:55 - Makhel 2 - Assist Sheppard
11:36 - Carey 2
10:13 - Carey 3
9:36 - Makhel 2 - Assist Carey. Thomas sub in for Sheppard
8:37 - Thomas 3 - Assist Walker
7:41 - Martin 2 - Assist Carey after steal by Thomas
6:34 - Thomas 3 - Assist Carey
5:55 - Carey 2 - Assist Makhi
5:04 - Thomas 3 - Assist Makhi
4:16 - Carey Turnover Sub out for Martin
3:00 - Martin 3 Assist Thomas
2:09 - Thomas Turnover Sub out for Carey at 1:51 with score URI 53 - Fordham 55
1:51 - Martin 1
1:03 - Walker 2
0:00 we lose 55-61

To bring the score from 24-43 to 53-55 (outscored Fordham 29-12 in 13 minutes Carey and Thomas led the way.
  • Carey with 10 points 3 assists and Thomas with 9 points 1 assist and a steal
  • So between Carey and Thomas they breathed life into a team that was dead in the water and scored 19 of the 29 points with 4 assists and a steal. Brought us back from the dead down from 24-43 to 53-55 with 2:09 to go.
But Carey has a Turnover and gets subbed for at 4:16.
Then Thomas has a Turnover at 2:09 and gets subbed by Carey seconds later

Thomas goes to bench, goes to the end of the bench and throws something with his left hand in frustration then sits down.
Frustration over his own turnover?
Frustration that he got pulled after going 3-3 on 3FG's @ 8:37, 6:34 and 5:04 for 9 points and a steal in 3.5 minutes?
Frustration that he could not play the last 1:51 after playing a key role in the comeback?
or a combo of all 3?

Bizarre that you would pull Carey after 1 TO and then Thomas after 1 TO after the heroics they performed in 13 minutes of play to bring Rhody back from the dead.

Thomas played the least of the 9 man rotation with only 14 minutes in the game. Thomas had 2 assists but several nice passes to Martin (only 2-8 FG and 2 of his shots blocked) and others who didn't convert.

Sheppard and Leggett both went 1-7 FG with Sheppard having 3 of his 7 shots blocked, Leggett had 2 of his 7 shots blocked. Fordham bigs said get that weak shit out of here. El-Amin pretty invisible offensively going 1-2 FG

Neptune had to be happy to see both Carey and Thomas get pulled down the stretch during the last 4 minutes of the game (Carey from 4:16 to 1:51 and Thomas from 1:51 to 0:00) and after they had played so well together.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

……..I was referring to the Syracuse 2-3 defense that Boheim has solely used for many many many years…….
... understood, the 'cuse is one of my favorite teams (there's a story to it). I was referring to what our reaction to it would be...it would be like..."yikes, never seen that"...
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago After ragging on the need for Thomas to improve his shooting for the week, it's good to see him hit 3 open shots. Kind of like KingstonLane though, it's not like I'm going to pretend that we suddenly have the solution to our point guard woes - he had three turnovers, only two assists, and only took four shots without getting to the FT line. It would be nice to see him combine this line with the previous game's line, but this is a step in the right direction. On a night that Leggett and Sheppard combined to shoot 2-for-14, I don't know why Thomas wasn't finishing the game out.

I went to the WBB Game and tbh just last night watched the replay of the Fordham game after having read the Game Thread and seen the media commentary.

Amazing we were down to Fordham by 19 with 15 minutes left in the game.

{I will now make another of my preposterously long and unnecessary posts where I go into excruciating detail about minutiae that will make you want to gouge your eyeballs out}.

Points scored from that point for URI:

To bring the score from 24-43 to 53-55 (outscored Fordham 29-12 in 13 minutes Carey and Thomas led the way.

• So between Carey and Thomas they breathed life into a team that was dead in the water and scored 19 of the 29 points with 4 assists and a steal. Brought us back from the dead down from 24-43 to 53-55 with 2:09 to go.

Thomas goes to bench, goes to the end of the bench and throws something with his left hand in frustration then sits down.
Frustration that he got pulled after going 3-3 on 3FG's @ 8:37, 6:34 and 5:04 for 9 points and a steal in 3.5 minutes?
Frustration that he could not play the last 1:51 after playing a key role in the comeback?
or a combo of all 3?

Bizarre that you would pull Carey after 1 TO and then Thomas after 1 TO after the heroics they performed in 13 minutes of play to bring Rhody back from the dead.

Thomas played the least of the 9 man rotation with only 14 minutes in the game. Thomas had 2 assists but several nice passes to Martin (only 2-8 FG and 2 of his shots blocked) and others who didn't convert.

Sheppard and Leggett both went 1-7 FG with Sheppard having 3 of his 7 shots blocked, Leggett had 2 of his 7 shots blocked. Fordham bigs said get that weak shit out of here. El-Amin pretty invisible offensively going 1-2 FG

Neptune had to be happy to see both Carey and Thomas get pulled down the stretch during the last 4 minutes of the game (Carey from 4:16 to 1:51 and Thomas from 1:51 to 0:00) and after they had played so well together.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

To Summarize:

URI was down by 19 points with 15 minutes to go behind 24-43. URI outscored Fordham 29-12 in the next 13 minutes. Carey and Thomas scored 19 of the 29 points. Carey and Thomas assisted on 8 of the remaining 10 so they had a direct hand in 27 of URI's last 29 points..

So 4 simple question for David Cox to be asked by any or all member(s) of the media would be "
  • Why did you take Jalen Carey out with 4:16 left in the game?
  • Why did you take Sebastian Thomas out with 1:51 left in the game after URI had closed the lead from 19 to 2 points in 13 minutes?
  • These two players were responsible for 27 of the last 29 points URI scored in the game and closed the Fordham lead from 19 to 2 points. They were as hot as any two players have been all season long and you took them out of the game during the critical last 4 minutes. How do those two coaching decisions make sense?
  • Looking back, would you still make those same coaching decisions on Carey and Thomas?
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Amazing we were down to Fordham by 19 with 15 minutes left in the game. Points scored from that point for URI:

or a combo of all 3?

Good post.

You do understand however that Cox cannot deviate from the substitution pattern he has written down on that little piece of paper in his hand.
Mobley was fouled.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Which is why the questions should be asked by the media. And by Thorr for that matter.

Specific questions regarding coaching decisions.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Which is why the questions should be asked by the media. And by Thorr for that matter.

Morey has asked Cox some tough questions about his rotations and gets bs answers.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RI_Bred wrote: 2 years ago
SGreenwell wrote: 2 years ago On a night that Leggett and Sheppard combined to shoot 2-for-14, I don't know why Thomas wasn't finishing the game out.

Good post.

You do understand however that Cox cannot deviate from the substitution pattern he has written down on that little piece of paper in his hand.
Interesting how so many, that seem to be paying attention, still talk about, suggest, or ask for changes...like...like, there's a possibility they could happen or something. Hellooooooooo
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 years ago
ramster wrote: 2 years ago Which is why the questions should be asked by the media. And by Thorr for that matter.

Morey has asked Cox some tough questions about his rotations and gets bs answers.
Yep
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

And he acts like "how dare you ask me that!?"

If he thinks our media and fabase are harsh he should look at how SEC football coaches are criticized. This is nothing.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Cox has always been prickly when questioned by the media...he gets very defensive.

But when you have no answers, that's what we get.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago

And he acts like "how dare you ask me that!?"

If he thinks our media and fabase are harsh he should look at how SEC football coaches are criticized. This is nothing.
Well yeah, as pointed out previously he dissed Morey when confronted with some of those tough questions.

When you enter into this profession you need thick skin.
It is easy when everything is going great, but once things turn the other way you will need to deal with all the criticism.
That just goes with the territory.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago To Summarize:

URI was down by 19 points with 15 minutes to go behind 24-43. URI outscored Fordham 29-12 in the next 13 minutes. Carey and Thomas scored 19 of the 29 points. Carey and Thomas assisted on 8 of the remaining 10 so they had a direct hand in 27 of URI's last 29 points..

So 4 simple question for David Cox to be asked by any or all member(s) of the media would be "
  • Why did you take Jalen Carey out with 4:16 left in the game?
  • Why did you take Sebastian Thomas out with 1:51 left in the game after URI had closed the lead from 19 to 2 points in 13 minutes?
  • These two players were responsible for 27 of the last 29 points URI scored in the game and closed the Fordham lead from 19 to 2 points. They were as hot as any two players have been all season long and you took them out of the game during the critical last 4 minutes. How do those two coaching decisions make sense?
  • Looking back, would you still make those same coaching decisions on Carey and Thomas?
Now THIS is a great post! Distill statistics into a digestible chunk, then develop a series of questions based on that summary. Well done Sir!
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I found this great clip of the Fordham game. We were really cooking on the fast break and distributing the ball:
Last edited by PeteRI 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Cox has no feel for game flow , Bassy and Jalen Lead us back in the game let them finish it , why put the others in who stunk all game ??
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 2 years ago Cox has no feel for game flow , Bassy and Jalen Lead us back in the game let them finish it , why put the others in who stunk all game ??
It's to the point where I can't believe how bad his feel is...I mean we ALL see it. Why can't we? Are we all living in a delusion?

Like objectively he understands basketball better than we all do so like....how is it possible?

When you watch basketball for multiple decades like most of us here you just notice patterns that work.

Keep the guy who has the hot hand in the game.

Call a timeout when the other team makes a run.

He calls timeouts on his own team and I've never seen that in my 15+ years of watching basketball. And I've watched waaaaaay too much basketball. I've maybe actually watched 300+ different college teams play over that period of time.

It's these very basic things that we, the fanatics have recognized that he is unable to execute.

HOW IS IT REAL LIFE?
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 2 years ago Cox has no feel for game flow , Bassy and Jalen Lead us back in the game let them finish it , why put the others in who stunk all game ??
It's to the point where I can't believe how bad his feel is...I mean we ALL see it. Why can't we? Are we all living in a delusion?

Like objectively he understands basketball better than we all do so like....how is it possible?

When you watch basketball for multiple decades like most of us here you just notice patterns that work.

He calls timeouts on his own team and I've never seen that in my 15+ years of watching basketball. And I've watched waaaaaay too much basketball. I've maybe actually watched 300+ different college teams play over that period of time.

It's these very basic things that we, the fanatics have recognized that he is unable to execute.

HOW IS IT REAL LIFE?
Even Sheppard, El-Amin and Leggett have got to be Saint in their heads “damn, Carey and Thomas are having a hell of a 13 minute run here, scoring 19 of the last 29 points and assisting/scoring on 27 of the last 29 to bring us from 19 down to only 2 points down and you are taking them out Coach? Really? Seriously?”

No sense.

Best run these two guys have had all year and they get yanked.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

HOW IS IT REAL LIFE?
Even Sheppard, El-Amin and Leggett have got to be Saint in their heads “damn, Carey and Thomas are having a hell of a 13 minute run here, scoring 19 of the last 29 points and assisting/scoring on 27 of the last 29 to bring us from 19 down to only 2 points down and you are taking them out Coach? Really? Seriously?”

No sense.

And they're the LAST guys you would think would be our two best guards right now deep into conference play.

Just another thing that makes no sense.

Cox has those guys playing well, playing confident and the other guys are just no shows.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

HOW IS IT REAL LIFE?

No sense.

And they're the LAST guys you would think would be our two best guards right now deep into conference play.

Cox has those guys playing well, playing confident and the other guys are just no shows.
Shep supposedly our best outside threat hasn't made a 3PT in his last 3 games (0-9).
His stats so far have been extremely disappointing to say the least.
Imagine, I thought he would be our most impactful player this season.

At this point players need to be accountable.

I would only hope that both Bassy and Carey get a lot more run.
Obviously whatever Cox's plan was something now needs to change, because it hasn't been working.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago

No sense.

Shep supposedly our best outside threat hasn't made a 3PT in his last 3 games (0-9).
His stats so far have been extremely disappointing to say the least.
Imagine, I thought he would be our most impactful player this season.

At this point players need to be accountable.

I would only hope that both Bassy and Carey get a lot more run.
Obviously whatever Cox's plan was something now needs to change, because it hasn't been working.
Same here 77. I thought Sheppard would take the wheel and drive this team. He seems timid. I was really looking forward to him having an All A10 type of year. El-Amin too. Both 5th year players.
Instead I’m looking forward to Thomas taking the Starting PG role and amazingly Carey stepping in. Who would have thought that scenario back in October.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Absolutely play the guys who deserve the playing time !!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

It was time for the other kids to have some fun.