Week #12 Games of Interest / Rest of 2022 Season

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: Week #12 Games of Interest / Rest of 2022 Season

Unread post by reef »

STL 55-41 over VCU under 8

Tough loss for VCU at large chances if Davidson wins the tournament possibly a 1 bid league
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Well looks like I was right that no team would go 15-3 as 14-4 gets the 1 seed with this VCU loss

I was wrong though that I didn’t think Davidson would build an at large resume they sure did
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

VCU late comeback but lose 69-65
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

UNC trying to spoil Coach K going away party great game
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Duke students crying in the stands after a loss: what a wonderful sight!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

UNC wins going away in front of 80 Coach K former players average ticket price 5800
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Loyola/Chicago (24-7) plays Drake (24-9) today in the finals of the MVCT on 2:00 CBS Sports.
They beat a tough Northern Iowa team yesterday.

Still surprised some were negative about them joining the A10 next season.
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

reef wrote: 2 years ago UNC wins going away in front of 80 Coach K former players average ticket price 5800
What a terrible shame. Let's see if Dook gets every call next season as they have with Krzyzewski.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Final Standings in the Big East
1) Providence 14-3
2) Villanova 16-4
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

BigEast Standings

Code: Select all

Team          Record  NET  KenPom
Providence    14-3    26   34
Villanova     16-4    6    10
Connecticut   13-6    19   20
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Whatever helps you guys sleep at night lol
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 2 years ago Whatever helps you guys sleep at night lol
I sleep great, thanks. It’s weird, and you know it.

It’s also weird that you care what URI fans think and jump on to offer a reply within minutes lol

The Big East tournament is going to be tough, so many great games. Can’t wait!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

NEC championship game is Tuesday, Wagner (Bashir Mason) versus Bryant (Jared Grasso). Winner gets a new job?
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ace wrote: 2 years ago Final Standings in the Big East
1) Providence 14-3
2) Villanova 16-4
The BE has a chance to get 6 teams in: PC, Villanova, UConn, Creighton, Marquette, and SH.

The top Mid-Major conference is the MWC with a chance for 4 teams: Boise State, Colorado State, San Diego State, and Wyoming.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ace wrote: 2 years ago NEC championship game is Tuesday, Wagner (Bashir Mason) versus Bryant (Jared Grasso). Winner gets a new job?
They both may.

Wagner without one of their top players (recently out for season, knee injury) Elijah Ford (1st team NEC 2021).
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago
1) Providence 14-3
2) Villanova 16-4
The BE has a chance to get 6 teams in: PC, Villanova, UConn, Creighton, Marquette, and SH.

The top Mid-Major conference is the MWC with a chance for 4 teams: Boise State, Colorado State, San Diego State, and Wyoming.
Lunardi is predicting 7 Big East teams. I feel Xavier is going to need to win a tournament game to get the invite, though: maybe two.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ace wrote: 2 years ago NEC championship game is Tuesday, Wagner (Bashir Mason) versus Bryant (Jared Grasso). Winner gets a new job?
They both may.

Wagner without one of their top players (recently out for season, knee injury) Elijah Ford (1st team NEC 2021).

Bashir wearing his jersey during games has been one of my favorite things this season.

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

JimSidd wrote: 2 years ago
1) Providence 14-3
2) Villanova 16-4

Lunardi is predicting 7 Big East teams. I feel Xavier is going to need to win a tournament game to get the invite, though: maybe two.
Could be make or break time for Travis Steele.
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

Could be make or break time for Travis Steele.
I just looked at the bracket. If Xavier beats Butler in the first round, they’ll have a chance to cement their bid by beating PC in the quarterfinals.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

ace wrote: 2 years ago

It’s also weird that you care what URI fans think and jump on to offer a reply within minutes lol

I actually really don’t care because at the end of the day, the rules are the rules and I enjoyed the championship… then again you are talking to someone who has said I’d take a national championship if it meant 5 years of NCAA sanctions so maybe I’m not the best person to talk I about this.… ultimately PCs “luck” will run out or they keep winning and solidify shutting everyone else up.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 2 years ago

I actually really don’t care because at the end of the day, the rules are the rules and I enjoyed the championship… then again you are talking to someone who has said I’d take a national championship if it meant 5 years of NCAA sanctions so maybe I’m not the best person to talk I about this.… ultimately PCs “luck” will run out or they keep winning and solidify shutting everyone else up.
Last PC win was over Creighton on Feb 26
Last game was lose to Villanova March 1

Long time to go for a team without playing a game from Tuesday March 1 until Thursday March 10

Villanova played Saturday March 5 since playing PC on March 1
UCONN has played March 2 and March 5

I'd be very concerned with being rusty going that long without a single game then going up against Xavier that will have played on March 2, March 5 and March 9 or Butler that will have played March 5 and March 9
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Nice to see Loyola get the win today. They'll be entering the A10 coming off back to back tournament appearances.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I was going to post the same Adam. Not sure why I was down on them joining the conference (I think it was size of arena). They would kick the crap out of our team today.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago Nice to see Loyola get the win today. They'll be entering the A10 coming off back to back tournament appearances.
Tremendous job by Drew Valentine (he’s only 30!). Moved over on the bench when Moser was hired away, and the team didn’t miss a beat.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

adam914 wrote: 2 years ago Nice to see Loyola get the win today. They'll be entering the A10 coming off back to back tournament appearances.
Tremendous job by Drew Valentine (he’s only 30!). Moved over on the bench when Moser was hired away, and the team didn’t miss a beat.
Yes, Darian DeVries at Drake is no slouch either.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Congrats to Loyola and coach Valentine , very happy they are coming to the A10 definitely makes the conference better at least in the short term
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Wish we could say the same about Cox.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Tulsa upsets UCF as Jeriah Horne hits a shot from beyond halfcourt to win at the buzzer by 1 - 73-72.
Tulsa was 3-14 in the AAC
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Just hope the new job isn’t here
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

reef wrote: 2 years ago Congrats to Loyola and coach Valentine , very happy they are coming to the A10 definitely makes the conference better at least in the short term
Yes, good win, but they had better work on their press offense this week. They had a lot of trouble inbounding the ball late. They almost gave it away with that bleed the shot clock offense. It took away their aggressiveness. That’s one of the biggest jobs for a head coach when you have a lead: balance between quick offense and being reckless versus milking the clock too much, leading to horrible late clock offense.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

reef wrote: 2 years ago Congrats to Loyola and coach Valentine , very happy they are coming to the A10 definitely makes the conference better at least in the short term
Yes, good win, but they had better work on their press offense this week. They had a lot of trouble inbounding the ball late. They almost gave it away with that bleed the shot clock offense. It took away their aggressiveness. That’s one of the biggest jobs for a head coach when you have a lead: balance between quick offense and being reckless versus milking the clock too much, leading to horrible late clock offense.
Yeah I noticed that almost blew it at the end . They will be a tough matchup in the tournament as usual I would think
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Conference Tournament Week

CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES Tonight Monday:
  • Sunbelt Championship AQ: Georgia State vs Louisiana Cajuns. Georgia Sate started off 0-5 Conference and has now won 9 straight. GSU is a 3-Seed and is facing Louisiana who was the 8-seed (16-14) (8-9) and pulled the big upset over 1-seed Texas State. ESPN2 7pm GSU favored by 3
  • Summit League Championship: South Dakota (19-11) vs South Dakota State (28-4) ESPN+ 7pm. SD State favored by 9. In Conference SD State finished (18-0) and South Dakota finished in 5th place (11-7)
  • Southern Conference Championship: Furman vs Chattanooga ESPN 7pm Chattanooga favored by 2.5 In Conference Chattanooga finished 1st (14-4), Furman 2nd (12-6)

In CAA Semifinal Action:
  • Delaware (20-12) vs Towson (25-7)CBSSN 6pm
  • College of Charleston (17-14) vs UNC Wilmington (22-8) CBSSN 8:30pm
PillPushr
Michael Andersen

Unread post by PillPushr »

ramster wrote: 2 years ago Conference Tournament Week

• Sunbelt Championship AQ: Georgia State vs Louisiana Cajuns. Georgia Sate started off 0-5 Conference and has now won 9 straight. GSU is a 3-Seed and is facing Louisiana who was the 8-seed (16-14) (8-9) and pulled the big upset over 1-seed Texas State. ESPN2 7pm GSU favored by 3
  • Summit League Championship: South Dakota (19-11) vs South Dakota State (28-4) ESPN+ 7pm. SD State favored by 9. In Conference SD State finished (18-0) and South Dakota finished in 5th place (11-7)
  • Southern Conference Championship: Furman vs Chattanooga ESPN 7pm Chattanooga favored by 2.5 In Conference Chattanooga finished 1st (14-4), Furman 2nd (12-6)

In CAA Semifinal Action:
That South Dakota/SDSU game is actually a semifinal in the Summit. Oral Roberts and NDSU are playing in the other semifinal tonight.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

In CAA Semifinal Action:
If Towson and UNC Wilmington both win, should be a good match-up in the finals.

Takayo Siddle the HC at UNCW is doing a great job.
He is only 35 and in his 2nd year as HC, turning a program that had really been struggling to finishing 15-3 (CAA) and tied for 1st.
He previously served as an assistant at NC State for several years.

Curious to see how he does against Skerry (they split in earlier games).
In contrast Skerry (52) has been at Towson 11 years, this is his highest finish.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PillPushr wrote: 2 years ago

In CAA Semifinal Action:
That South Dakota/SDSU game is actually a semifinal in the Summit. Oral Roberts and NDSU are playing in the other semifinal tonight.
:oops: Thanks for the correction
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Gonzaga Vs San Francisco I want to see
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Georgia State once fully healthy has won their last 10 games.
They just earned a bid to the NCAAT by winning the Sun Belt Conference Tournament.

Their coach Rob Lanier has an interesting history.
He took Siena to the NCAAT as a HC,
He was an assistant everywhere: Bonnies, Rutgers, Texas, Virginia, Florida, Tenn.
Last season they finished 1st in the conference but post season cancelled,
Now in his 3rd year they win a bid, after all the team's injuries and Covid issues.

He is also related to HOF player Bob Lanier.
His son plays for Davidson.

He is from Queens, NY.

\
Last edited by Jersey77 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Georgia State once fully healthy has won their last 10 games.
They just earned a bid to the NCAAT by winning the Sun Belt Conference Tournament.

Then was an assistant everywhere: Bonnies, Rutgers, Texas, Virginia, Florida, Tenn.
Now in his 3rd year they win a bid, after all the team's injuries and Covid issues.

He is from Queens, NY.

\
Story about how a broken down bus at midnight in Alabama in December turned GSU season….

https://www.ajc.com/sports/state-sports ... utType=amp
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 2 years ago
Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Georgia State once fully healthy has won their last 10 games.

He was an assistant everywhere: Bonnies, Rutgers, Texas, Virginia, Florida, Tenn.

He is from Queens, NY.

\
Story about how a broken down bus at midnight in Alabama in December turned GSU season….

https://www.ajc.com/sports/state-sports ... utType=amp
Nice article, thanks for sharing.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Bryant vs. Wagner finals of NECT at 7:00 ESPN2.
Grasso against Mason, 2 young coaches considered up-and-comers.

I give Bryant the nod, Wagner shorthanded without key player Ford.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Here's another dumb NCAA rule

I'm watching the Atlantic Sun championship between Jacksonville and Bellarmine

Bellarmine just moved up to D1 last year

But if they win this game they don't go to the dance because they aren't eligible....WHY? Why do they have to wait to be eligible? And if they aren't eligible why are they in this tournament? If they win, which I think they will Jacksonville STATE will make it in because they were the 1 seed.

Why is this reality?

I've known about the eligibility rule, but I don't think I've ever known why they have such an arbitrary rule.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Crazy ending with Chattanooga Mocs winning on a buzzer beater makes March Madness amazing
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 years ago Here's another dumb NCAA rule

I'm watching the Atlantic Sun championship between Jacksonville and Bellarmine

Bellarmine just moved up to D1 last year

But if they win this game they don't go to the dance because they aren't eligible....WHY? Why do they have to wait to be eligible? And if they aren't eligible why are they in this tournament? If they win, which I think they will Jacksonville STATE will make it in because they were the 1 seed.

Why is this reality?

I've known about the eligibility rule, but I don't think I've ever known why they have such an arbitrary rule.
That's been the rule forever. Used to be conferences wouldn't let those teams play in the conference tournaments until their waiting periods were over and they were eligible for the NCAA tournament.
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 years ago Bryant vs. Wagner finals of NECT at 7:00 ESPN2.
Grasso against Mason, 2 young coaches considered up-and-comers.

I give Bryant the nod, Wagner shorthanded without key player Ford.
No game thread?……..I agree, no.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Let's go Bryant!!!!!
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Peter Kiss is a stud.. Loving the energy from Bryant right now.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

17-4
Ram logo via Grist 1938
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

25-4
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Bryant looks so much better with Kiss. He’s a game changer. I love the way this team plays. Props to Grasso
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

34-6
Ram logo via Grist 1938