The Transfer Carousel - 2021-22

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: The Transfer Carousel -2021

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

GO RAMS
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Two types of players in the portal: kids playing super below the P5 level being poached by the P5; kids playing poorly at the P5 level and unhappy and dropping down a level or two. I doubt we are at the P5 level to attract the first type. We have to take risks taking flawed players in type two.

Like where does Qudus Wahab go? Up from the big east to a high major conference?
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Ramulous wrote: 3 years ago Two types of players in the portal: kids playing super below the P5 level being poached by the P5; kids playing poorly at the P5 level and unhappy and dropping down a level or two. I doubt we are at the P5 level to attract the first type. We have to take risks taking flawed players in type two.

Like where does Qudus Wahab go? Up from the big east to a high major conference?
Yes, many of those players that starred in the low/mid majors will try to reach higher than us.

I was surprised when Wahab entered the portal. He got plenty of minutes, performed well and thought he was a good fit at Georgetown.
Guess he wants to move on to a P5, should get plenty of interest.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Ramulous wrote: 3 years ago Two types of players in the portal: kids playing super below the P5 level being poached by the P5; kids playing poorly at the P5 level and unhappy and dropping down a level or two. I doubt we are at the P5 level to attract the first type. We have to take risks taking flawed players in type two.

Very surprising with his move, but he’ll absolutely go to a bigger and better program.

Ewing seemed to be the perfect coach for him, odd decision.
Go Rhody
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Not surprising to anyone here I’m sure but this is just the unfortunate reality of college basketball going forward. I get both sides of the coin but makes keeping legit talent together very difficult for a coach.

URI level programs are almost caught in the middle to an extent as well. Above average players in conferences just below us have bigger aspirations than the A10, and while ability to get P5 talent who didn’t workout to come play for you it’s always a major gamble - they’re leaving that level for some reason.

I don’t envy being a mid major coach in this environment one bit
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yup when 40 % of kids leave by the end of sophomore year it’s a different landscape

Surprised also Qudus W in the portal !!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Keep an eye on Virginia (UVa) soph. Casey Morsell (guard) who just entered the portal.
He started 13 games as a freshman, then got limited minutes from the bench.
He was highly recruited 4 * who played at St. John's in DC, same as Jeff, Ish, and Cox.

• Named the 2019 Gatorade Player of the Year and USA Today Player of the Year for Washington, D.C.
• Earned WCAC Co-Player of the Year honors and was named Washington Post All-Met First Team

Doesn't seem to be a very good shooter, more athletic.
I would pass, but being from St. John's maybe Cox would be interested.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago Keep an eye on Virginia (UVa) soph. Casey Morrsell (guard) who just entered the portal.
He started 13 games as a freshman, then got limited minutes from the bench.
He was highly recruited 4 * who played at St. John's in DC, same as Jeff, Ish, and Cox.

• Named the 2019 Gatorade Player of the Year and USA Today Player of the Year for Washington, D.C.
• Earned WCAC Co-Player of the Year honors and was named Washington Post All-Met First Team

Doesn't seem to be a very good shooter, more athletic.
I would pass, but being from St. John's maybe Cox would be interested.
Agree here x2
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Interestingly, five A10 teams offered Morsell coming out of HS but not URI. Considering Cox connection that leaves me wondering.
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Iggy1979 wrote: 3 years ago Interestingly, five A10 teams offered Morsell coming out of HS but not URI. Considering Cox connection that leaves me wondering.
Smh...URI did heavily recruit Morsell since his Freshman year in HS.

http://keaneyblue.com/viewtopic.php?f=8 ... ll#p328311
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Apparently we just offered grad transfer Jarrod West from Marshall. Really like this one, averaged 6assists/game with a 3-1 A/TO ratio. True PG who started at Marshall for 4 years.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Apparently we just offered grad transfer Jarrod West from Marshall. Really like this one, averaged 6assists/game with a 3-1 A/TO ratio. True PG who started at Marshall for 4 years.
And we have a virtual meeting with him tomorrow.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 years ago
bigappleram wrote: 3 years ago Apparently we just offered grad transfer Jarrod West from Marshall. Really like this one, averaged 6assists/game with a 3-1 A/TO ratio. True PG who started at Marshall for 4 years.
I like what he brings, would be a good fit here, akso getting interest from Pitt and Louisville

"West is currently having serious talks with two programs, Louisville and Pitt. In fact, West had a Zoom Call Tuesday evening with the coaching staff at Pitt. While his recruitment is still open to all teams, West left his conversation with a good impression of the Pitt program and Jeff Capel."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

West would be a pretty nice fit, but for those of you who wonder why we can't shoot free throws, brace yourself. ;) He's 67 percent from the line in four years. Best percentage was 72 percent as a sophomore. I'd still take him though and worry about that later.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago West would be a pretty nice fit, but for those of you who wonder why we can't shoot free throws, brace yourself. ;) He's 67 percent from the line in four years. Best percentage was 72 percent as a sophomore. I'd still take him though and worry about that later.
He does shoot 46%FG and 41%3PT, not bad, I will take him.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago West would be a pretty nice fit, but for those of you who wonder why we can't shoot free throws, brace yourself. ;) He's 67 percent from the line in four years. Best percentage was 72 percent as a sophomore. I'd still take him though and worry about that later.
Only took 39 FTs last year in 21 games as well.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Another huge blow to George Mason.
Jordan Miller (all A10) junior CG , their leading scorer 16 pts and rebounder 6 rebs, just entered the portal, also shoots an impressive 46%FG.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago
Only took 39 FTs last year in 21 games as well.
For context Fatts shot 160 FTs and hit them at an 80% clip. That does make up for some missed FGs
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

The A10 has 3 in the top 10 rated transfers

Bossi's Top 10 Transfers: https://247sports.com/college/basketbal ... 62978913_1

1. Ctr Walker Kessler UNC
2. SG Marcus Carr UMinn (Canada)
3. SG Kellan Grady Davidson (GradTrans)
4. PG Xavier Johnson Pitt
5. PF Tre Mitchell UMass
6. SF Earl Timberlake Miami (FL) (Frosh)
7. SG Xavier Pinson Mizzou
8. SG Justin Powell Auburn (Frosh)
9. SG Nimari Burnett TT (Frosh)
10. SF/PF Jamison Battle GW

Already 900 names in the portal.

1026 entering the 20-21 season.
991 entering the 19-20 season.
882 entering the 18-19 season.

That record is going to get smashed.
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago The A10 has 3 in the top 10 rated transfers

Bossi's Top 10 Transfers: https://247sports.com/college/basketbal ... 62978913_1

5. PF Tre Mitchell UMass

Wow I like Grady as a player but he's list above both Mitchell and Timberlake is surprising to me. No Fatts listed at all is also surprising.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I like West. His handle reminds me of Deron Williams. Obviously not as good... The most important thing I like about West is his intelligence. Like Dowtin he makes guys around him better.
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

5. PF Tre Mitchell UMass

I've heard AJ Wilson from George Mason may be testing the waters as well. It appears that quite a few top seniors in the A-10 look to be taking advantage of the free year rule to explore a transfer to a "top level" school similar to Fatts.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Bos8 wrote: 3 years ago

5. PF Tre Mitchell UMass

I've heard AJ Wilson from George Mason may be testing the waters as well. It appears that quite a few top seniors in the A-10 look to be taking advantage of the free year rule to explore a transfer to a "top level" school similar to Fatts.
George Mason has 9 Players that entered the portal, would be interested to see what kind of a roster they will have in 21-22.
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 years ago
Bos8 wrote: 3 years ago

5. PF Tre Mitchell UMass

George Mason has 9 Players that entered the portal, would be interested to see what kind of a roster they will have in 21-22.
My guess? A dramatically different one!!
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

I mean, if you cherry pick his best years, yes, he does shoot that. :P He's 37.9 percent from 3, which is probably around his "real" level, since he averages close to five per game.

And Rhodylaw, I'm with you on the low free throw rate. I think with Fatts gone, they either need to recruit or hope someone develops into a guy that can attack the basket. I think Ish could be that player, and he showed great promise his freshman year, but you also can't just double his minutes played and assume that'll be his new stat line, since his role is changing.

All that being said, I think I'm coming off as too negative here - I think West would be a really good signing, and tick a lot of boxes as far as what we need.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The high number of transfers is going to further erode fan interest in college basketball. It is getting increasingly more difficult to get attached to teams and players with this constant turnover.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago The high number of transfers is going to further erode fan interest in college basketball. It is getting increasingly more difficult to get attached to teams and players with this constant turnover.
Not saying I completely disagree, but why is it considered some existential threat to the game that guys who can only be at a school 4-5 years (the players) are now leaving, but it was never considered a threat that guys with contracts that could be at a school decades (the coaches) come and go and rip up their contracts at will?
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I just cannot get worked up about the “transfer epidemic.” I want players to have that level of freedom. The additional year of eligibility is adding to the numbers. I said it before- early on, seniors were not expecting to take that year, but as situations play out, it’s looking like a better move. The immediate eligibility will eventually decrease the number of grad transfers, as most guys don’t graduate in 3 years.
Last edited by ace 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Jalen Cone transferring out of Virginia Tech looking for a place where he can have a bigger role.

Solid 5'10 guard. Shot 45% from three last year.

Tres Berry liked and commented on his announcement on Instagram. Could be someone we look at.

I'm hoping for Greg Parham though...
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

RF1 wrote: 3 years ago The high number of transfers is going to further erode fan interest in college basketball. It is getting increasingly more difficult to get attached to teams and players with this constant turnover.
I've thought this from the gecko. At first its like Mcdonalds, instant gratification, until you have to force feed yourself Tums and gain 10 pounds. NCAA needs to create additional restrictions, instead of this free for all.
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 years ago
I've thought this from the gecko. At first its like Mcdonalds, instant gratification, until you have to force feed yourself Tums and gain 10 pounds. NCAA needs to create additional restrictions, instead of this free for all.
I have mixed feelings about this.
The portal #'s can be misleading because it includes grad transfers and seniors that would normally of used up their eligibility but because of this Covid
season they have an additional year to play.
Players that aren't happy or elect to move on to enhance their career will transfer regardless.
If the new rule passes in April and grants immediate eligibility it will save time and $ for both the schools and the NCAA without having to deal with a countless amount of waiver requests.
By making it a one-time only for transfers, it may help prevent some players from playing musical chairs/schools.
Coaches can leave anytime, players feel they should have similar rights without penalty at least for a one time deal.
I think in time it may level off, so far I am keeping my fingers crossed that we keep our core group.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

There will be a lot of pressure on the players to choose wisely for their first free transfer. Pick the wrong place and you are kind of stuck there.
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago
I mean, if you cherry pick his best years, yes, he does shoot that. :P He's 37.9 percent from 3, which is probably around his "real" level, since he averages close to five per game.

And Rhodylaw, I'm with you on the low free throw rate. I think with Fatts gone, they either need to recruit or hope someone develops into a guy that can attack the basket. I think Ish could be that player, and he showed great promise his freshman year, but you also can't just double his minutes played and assume that'll be his new stat line, since his role is changing.

All that being said, I think I'm coming off as too negative here - I think West would be a really good signing, and tick a lot of boxes as far as what we need.
In this case, I think his profile is just what the doctor ordered for the current roster make up and he is coming off a very good year...experienced, high assist guy who can knock down some 3s from the 1 position fills a gaping hole. Going into summer workouts him, Ish, Shepp, Twan and Makhel would be my starting lineup. Makhi, Martin, Johnson as 6, 7, 8 on depth chart. Everyone else playing for a role.

Whether it's this kid, or someone else, he fits the profile of what we need IMO. I hope we get him.
PeterRamTime
Frank Keaney

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Looks a lot like Ish.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice highlights hope we get him
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

West seem to be a really good match for us,

Anyone here know the deal with Noah Farrakhan? He was a 5 star PG from NJ that played at IMG.
He went to ECU and is stuck behind two pretty good guards there.
I was surprised when he signed there but thought he was smart to go someplace he could play right away (which he didn't).
He is in the portal and he'd have 4 yrs left.
I suspect he could be too young for our situation but he has a year under his belt playing college ball at least.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rhodyblue12 wrote: 3 years ago West seem to be a really good match for us,

Anyone here know the deal with Noah Farrakhan? He was a 5 star PG from NJ that played at IMG.
I was surprised when he signed there but thought he was smart to go someplace he could play right away (which he didn't).
I suspect he could be too young for our situation but he has a year under his belt playing college ball at least.
Don't think he was a 5*, most services rated him 3-4*.
According to ECU coach he struggled defensively and moving to the point, picking up the offense.
He is still very young, so learning.
Some recruiting background:

"Was part of the 2020 cycle, Farrakhan collected offers from the likes of Florida, Maryland, Minnesota, Ohio State, Penn State, Pittsburgh and many more. The 6-foot-2, 170-pounder attended IMG Academy before finishing his prep career at The Patrick School in New Jersey. Farrakhan is a native of Newark, N.J. He was rated a highly-touted three-star recruit by 247Sports at 89 overall, and was ranked the 35th-best combo guard nationally for the 2020 class."

I actually wouldn't mind us finding a freshman or sophomore transfer that can help immediately, we can lose 7 players next year as grads.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

I agree that I wouldn’t mind seeing a younger PG who could play right away. Really the problem with the roster after next year is fixed if Jalen can get it together, otherwise we need will be in the portal after next season for another PG.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Is there a site out there that aggregates the ratings from various HS ---> College scouting services? Similar to how Bracket Matrix works. I kind of wish we used "average" star ratings or something like that, whereas now, we often use whatever the high water mark is for stars when talking about all prospects.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rhodylaw wrote: 3 years ago I agree that I wouldn’t mind seeing a younger PG who could play right away. Really the problem with the roster after next year is fixed if Jalen can get it together, otherwise we need will be in the portal after next season for another PG.
Remember that even though Jalen will be listed as a junior next season, it will be his 4th year because of a medical redshirt prior to this past season.
He can graduate and transfer without penalty.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 3 years ago I would hope we can recruit better players than kolek. Pass.
We obviously recruited Berry over him.

Berry didn't even sniff the floor when this year was a redshirt year for every single player, regardless if they played or not.

Would you rather have someone who has proven he can play in the A10, evidenced by him winning A10 ROY, or a kid who couldn't even find minutes on our team this year?
The expectation was for AB and Carey to be better than a previous unknown like Kolek. Kolek, just like many other kids across the country, get looked over for one reason or another, whether it be the league they play in, deficiency’s, etc....

Tres is a developmental guard. He was okay with taking the year off to learn and develop a college ready body. Not everyone can or will play lots of minutes.

Hard pass on Kolek. He’s good, but I don’t think he’d add anything that would’ve put more wins in the column. DC has to figure it all out.

He obviously knows how to recruit, and he will find someone who fits the Bill...his Bill...but the Bill.
I still think that the fact that this team was so bad, and red shirt for all, that the 'developmental guard' couldn't get one single minute on the floor...says something.

I'm game though...what is the 'real reason' he didn't play a single minute?

If the coach doesn't think there are available players at his position that are better...than it's a double wtf that he didn't play...
RAMFAN
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RAMFAN »

was 2nd team conference USA. all defensive team for 2 years.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

SGreenwell wrote: 3 years ago Is there a site out there that aggregates the ratings from various HS ---> College scouting services? Similar to how Bracket Matrix works. I kind of wish we used "average" star ratings or something like that, whereas now, we often use whatever the high water mark is for stars when talking about all prospects.
The RSCI is popular but I believe it only ranks the Top 100 -- https://sites.google.com/site/rscihoops ... he-experts.

I personally prefer the 24/7 composite because although it's less reliable after 100, you can at least search a large list of players ...
https://247sports.com/Article/247Sports ... ion-81574/
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RAMFAN wrote: 3 years ago
was 2nd team conference USA. all defensive team for 2 years.
Competition will be tough for him, getting serious looks from P5 schools.
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 years ago
DC_Rams wrote: 3 years ago
Rhody15 wrote: 3 years ago

We obviously recruited Berry over him.

Berry didn't even sniff the floor when this year was a redshirt year for every single player, regardless if they played or not.

Would you rather have someone who has proven he can play in the A10, evidenced by him winning A10 ROY, or a kid who couldn't even find minutes on our team this year?
The expectation was for AB and Carey to be better than a previous unknown like Kolek. Kolek, just like many other kids across the country, get looked over for one reason or another, whether it be the league they play in, deficiency’s, etc....

Tres is a developmental guard. He was okay with taking the year off to learn and develop a college ready body. Not everyone can or will play lots of minutes.

Hard pass on Kolek. He’s good, but I don’t think he’d add anything that would’ve put more wins in the column. DC has to figure it all out.

He obviously knows how to recruit, and he will find someone who fits the Bill...his Bill...but the Bill.
I still think that the fact that this team was so bad, and red shirt for all, that the 'developmental guard' couldn't get one single minute on the floor...says something.

I'm game though...what is the 'real reason' he didn't play a single minute?

If the coach doesn't think there are available players at his position that are better...than it's a double wtf that he didn't play...
I would not be surprised if the kid winds up being able to play. He was not getting minutes over Fatts and Jeremy though. I am still perplexed why DJ sat all of the year prior on a team that desperately needed a deep threat to break some zones and we only had 7 guys playing.
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I don’t have great expectations for URI in the transfer market this offseason. A mid-major trending downward with a coach with long term uncertainty.

Can’t see us landing West if the P5’s are calling.
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 3 years ago West seem to be a really good match for us,

Don't think he was a 5*, most services rated him 3-4*.
According to ECU coach he struggled defensively and moving to the point, picking up the offense.
He is still very young, so learning.
Some recruiting background:

"Was part of the 2020 cycle, Farrakhan collected offers from the likes of Florida, Maryland, Minnesota, Ohio State, Penn State, Pittsburgh and many more. The 6-foot-2, 170-pounder attended IMG Academy before finishing his prep career at The Patrick School in New Jersey. Farrakhan is a native of Newark, N.J. He was rated a highly-touted three-star recruit by 247Sports at 89 overall, and was ranked the 35th-best combo guard nationally for the 2020 class."

I actually wouldn't mind us finding a freshman or sophomore transfer that can help immediately, we can lose 7 players next year as grads.
Thanks. I just took the ranking from a Zags article:

https://www.zagsblog.com/2021/03/25/ecu ... lks-future
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

STC wrote: 3 years ago I don’t have great expectations for URI in the transfer market this offseason. A mid-major trending downward with a coach with long term uncertainty.

Can’t see us landing West if the P5’s are calling.
We only have 1 opening and there are many players out there, not counting some prep kids still available that we were in on.
We can be a little selective, especially with Shepp coming back.
I think Tres may give us some valuable minutes and Carey can only improve.
The starting 5/Core of: Ish, Shep, Martin/DJ, Walker, Mikhel/Mikhi is not bad.

My last prediction for next season of a 7-8 finish suddenly improved to a top 5 or 6, by default with all the transfer losses of GM, GW, and UMass.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Crazy thing is Walker upped his stock a bunch when Bill Coen scheduled a game late in February @ North Carolina. This put Walker on the National stage.

Double edged sword. Walker scored 27 points at UNC hitting 8-15 FG, 4-7 on 3FG. Walker was the high scorer in the game getting 27 efficient points with the 2nd highest game scorer hitting for 15 points. Showed P5 schools what Walker could do at that level of competition.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... e-spartans